PDA

View Full Version : Latest Swany Says from the Illustrated

99Bison
10-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Everything But H1N1
Bison Football Limps To Worst Start Since 1975

If ever a case of Murphy's law applied to a football team, it would be this year's North Dakota State Bison. Whatever could go wrong has gone wrong. Terribly wrong. After a promising opener against Iowa State, who just defeated a resurgent Nebraska team in Lincoln for the first time since the Carter Administration, the Bison have been plagued by everything under the sun save H1N1 (at least not yet anyway).

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=46

tony
10-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Hehe, the guy can write!

The Bison start more freshmen and sophomores than Reed-Johnson's flag football team.

CaBisonFan
10-30-2009, 10:48 PM
We changed coaches for the 1976 season...the turn-around season that Joshua Swanson wrote about. He didn't mention it.

Jim Wacker was brought in as the new coach, and became the set-up man for the 80s...brought the veer...brought some great assistant coaches (Don Morton being one)...was a great motivator...demanded intensity from every player on the field & on the sideline. It was rare to see a non-involved player on the sidelines during the Wacker, Morton, Solomonson, & Hager years.

Wacker felt that the veer offense was condusive to consistency in the Bison program...and believed that finding pro-style quarterbacks would not allow for the type of consistency that he wanted. He recruited excellent athletes with a hard-nosed attitude, an extreme desire to win, and guys that would play team ball. That philosophy carried into the 80s and early 90s...a period that we commonly refer to as the glory years in Bison history.

Ev Kjelbertson was fired after the 2-7 season in 1975...his 3rd and final season. In his first two seasons, he went 15-6 over-all...with a co-championship in the NCC in 1973, and a 3-way tie for the NCC title in 1974. He was allowed one bad season.

Rocky Hager's teams won national titles in 1988 and 1990. He was the defensive coordinator & linebackers coach with the 1985 & 1986 national championship teams. The Bison won 5 NCC championships in his ten years as head coach...with mostly 2nd or 3rd place finishes in the other years. When team discipline became an issue...he was fired. NDSU apparently felt that the team discipline and a drop-off in recruiting had to be corrected. Bison followers felt that the discipline problems were beginning to show up on the field.

It's likely that Kjelbertson & Hager had their share of injuries and problems during their down seasons.

CaBisonFan
10-31-2009, 05:28 AM
Very nice writing...but with some rather significant holes in the history of the 1976 turnaround that he referenced. See above.

OrygunBison
11-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Very nice writing...but with some rather significant holes in the history of the 1976 turnaround that he referenced. See above.

Uh, yeah, big gaping hole in his explanation of this important history. Can't really take the article seriously without including that.

Swany
11-03-2009, 03:15 AM
I appreciate that people are reading my online column at Bison Illustrated. I just want to add a few comments on my thought process while writing and the decision to leave out the coaching change. I respect the knowledge of North Dakota State that many of you have. But rest assured, I do my homework before I even put the pen down or start clacking keys. I am well aware that Ev Kjelbertson was the coach in 1975 and replaced by Jim Wacker in 1976.

I deliberately chose not to include that switch for several reasons. First and foremost, the story was not about the turn around from 1975 to 1976. Had the story focused on the turn around I would've focused greater detail on the coaching switch. The story was about how it's been a Murphy's law type season for the Bison, the incredible adversity and challenges faced, etc. I did not want the story to devolve into an indictment of the current coaching staff that a detailed description of the coaching change would've invited.

Second, the column was starting to run long for "Swany Says." "Swany Says" isn't like the print articles I write for the magazine. I try to keep "Swany Says" to under two typed single spaced pages whereas my print articles run substantially longer. Because of its frequency I try to enable readers to sit down in 5-10 minutes and finish "Swany Says." That is my prerogative as a writer. Moreover, there are only so many hours in the day and, as an attorney with a very demanding day job (just like many of you), I have to budget my time accordingly. I take great pride in the work I do for Bison Illustrated, but I cannot cover with a fine tooth comb every nook and cranny behind every story (although I do try to be as thorough as possible).

Additionally, to include an explanation of the coaching change it would've altered the focal point of the column. This would have obligated me to explore not only the coaching change, but other reasons for the significant change between 1975 and 1976. While the coaching staff undoubtedly played a part, it would border on assumption - and be irresponsible - for me to conclude the sole reason was the coaching change. Perhaps that is a column for the future.

With that said, I do appreciate the feedback, both positive and constructive. I incredibly enjoy being able to write for the Illustrated. I am sincerely honored and humbled that people take time from their busy lives to read my material. I hope you continue to do so. I know the people on this board share the same passion and enthusiasm I do for the Bison. That is a big part of the reason I enjoy writing so much. As always, GO BISON :)

CaBisonFan
11-03-2009, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I understand that Bison Illustrated is a booster magazine...and a darned nice one. Someone put the link up here, which is why I read it.

The program was not in total disarray in 1975. 1975 and 2009 have little in common. The university had no interest in a 'slide' then. Patience was not in their vocabulary. They saw the handwriting...and dealt with it.

There is no parallel. The program, in 2009, has already gone through a meltdown. New leadership is needed...as in...the whole coaching staff.