PDA

View Full Version : Buildings at NDSU

tony
10-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know when the North Dakota legislature last paid the more than 50% of the amount required to build something on NDSU's campus? I almost wondering if it was the BSA (for which they paid $1.7 million of a $3 million project.)

I know they've been complaining about NDSU overspending on building projects but if the legislature wants to call the shots, maybe they should do the funding more than once every fifty years. :)

Just bringing this up because apparently they've chipped in $11 million to put a new education building up at UND (100% funding, I think).

roadwarrior
10-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Minard Hall is currently undergoing a complete makeover. I am pretty sure all of the $18,000,000 came from the state budget.

All of the downtown buildings were paid for with private donations. All of the housing projects are paid for by issuing revenue bonds with the future rent and food contract payments paying off the debt. Bison Court, Niskanen Apartment Complex, LLC east and west, West Dining Center expansion.

I don't think any state money was used for any of the buildings in the tech park.

The wellness center and the massive student union project are being funded by student fees.

tony
10-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Minard Hall is currently undergoing a complete makeover. I am pretty sure all of the $18,000,000 came from the state budget.

I'm only giving them partial credit for that. I still think the main reason that NDSU got any money for that was the alternative would have been tearing the place down (which would have brought several decades of legislative neglect into the spotlight*).

* That's just my opinion.

Tatanka
10-29-2009, 07:25 PM

All of the downtown buildings were paid for with private donations. All of the housing projects are paid for by issuing revenue bonds with the future rent and food contract payments paying off the debt. Bison Court, Niskanen Apartment Complex, LLC east and west, West Dining Center expansion.

I don't think any state money was used for any of the buildings in the tech park.

The wellness center and the massive student union project are being funded by student fees.

IIRC, any of the housing projects are funded separately as part of NDSU Auxiliary Enterprises. This covers Residence Life, Apartments, Food Service, etc. I believe Aux Ent is its own beast, receives all its revenue from housing/dining service fees, and is expected to pay its own way, receiving no revenue from teh state...

Perhaps someone who is in the know can refresh my memory.

Hammersmith
10-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know when the North Dakota legislature last paid the more than 50% of the amount required to build something on NDSU's campus? I almost wondering if it was the BSA (for which they paid $1.7 million of a $3 million project.)

I know they've been complaining about NDSU overspending on building projects but if the legislature wants to call the shots, maybe they should do the funding more than once every fifty years. :)

Just bringing this up because apparently they've chipped in $11 million to put a new education building up at UND (100% funding, I think).

It would have been the one right before the Music Ed Building(1981). That was the first academic building on campus to be built using more private money than state(I read it in the program for the building's dedication concert - came across it when I was working as the band librarian). I'm pretty sure the needle never swung back once the halfway point was crossed.

tony
10-29-2009, 11:21 PM
It would have been the one right before the Music Ed Building(1981). That was the first academic building on campus to be built using more private money than state(I read it in the program for the building's dedication concert - came across it when I was working as the band librarian). I'm pretty sure the needle never swung back once the halfway point was crossed.

Holy cow! It probably was the BSA and 1970 (legislature kicked in $1.75 million on a $3.1 million project). I think the high rises were built later but they were paid for by students in the end.

duluthbison
10-30-2009, 12:02 AM
The IACC was funded by the SBoHE

In March 1991, the State Board of Higher Education approved bids slightly over $9 million for the construction of Industrial Agricultural and Communication Center (IACC as it is commonly referred to by students).
http://www.ndsu.edu/ndsu/main/directory/bldg_details.php?choice=35

Current Projects On Campus - 2009 to 2010

West Dining Center Expansion/Renovation: 7 Million from auxiliary funds and bonds

Minard Hall Expansion/Renovation: 13 Million from the state

Student Health Services Expansion: 1.1 Million from student fees and auxiliary funds

Ellig Softball Complex: 4.5 Million from private donations
Details of the project.....

The existing softball complex is the site of four diamonds used primarily by university
students, including intramural participants and intercollegiate athletes. Several youth and
adult community teams also use the complex. The project includes the construction of a
press box, dug outs, locker rooms, and restrooms for both the athletes and the general public.
The project also includes the upgrade and partial replacement of the irrigation system as well
as the complete retooling of each diamond. Finally, bleachers, lights, and a maintenance
storage area are paramount to the success of the project.

Bison Sports Arena: 25.5 Million from private donations

All of this came from This Link (http://www.ndsu.edu/fileadmin/www.ur.ndsu.edu/SB_2003_-_NDSU_-_House_-_March_4_2009.pdf)

Hammersmith
10-30-2009, 12:42 AM
The IACC was funded by the SBoHE

Are we sure about that? I actually read that when trying to find when the Music Building was built, but I took it to mean that they were approving the project just like the President's House or Barry Hall.

I just did a little more digging(and gave $2.95 to the Herald - ugh) and found the state contributed about half to the IACC. According to an article written after it was approved but before it was built, the project was intended to cost $11 million, with about $5 million from the state, $5 million from federal funding, and about $1 million from private funds. It was also a 10 year fight to get the state to contribute anything for a computer center.

Actually, the IACC underscores Tony's original point. No known new construction at NDSU has happened since prior to 1981 that was funded by the state at a level greater than 50% of the project's total cost. We don't even know how much before 1981 it was.

duluthbison
10-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Are we sure about that? I actually read that when trying to find when the Music Building was built, but I took it to mean that they were approving the project just like the President's House or Barry Hall.

I just did a little more digging(and gave $2.95 to the Herald - ugh) and found the state contributed about half to the IACC. According to an article written after it was approved but before it was built, the project was intended to cost $11 million, with about $5 million from the state, $5 million from federal funding, and about $1 million from private funds. It was also a 10 year fight to get the state to contribute anything for a computer center.

Actually, the IACC underscores Tony's original point. No known new construction at NDSU has happened since prior to 1981 that was funded by the state at a level greater than 50% of the project's total cost. We don't even know how much before 1981 it was.

Well I must of mis-understood his question then. But the information that I quoted above about the IACC was from NDSU's website, there it said that the state approved about 9 million in bids to build the new computer center. It does not say what part the school contributed.

Hammersmith
10-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Well I must of mis-understood his question then. But the information that I quoted above about the IACC was from NDSU's website, there it said that the state approved about 9 million in bids to build the new computer center. It does not say what part the school contributed.

Yeah, he's almost certainly right. I probably was confusing it with some other building project like the UP Center.

BTW, has anyone else been by 19th Ave and seen the new Nik Apt Complex? I can't believe how huge the whole thing is. It makes Bison Court look like a kid's play house. I thought they were planning on building it in phases, but it looks like they went ahead with all 800 beds at once.

Bison"FANatic"
10-31-2009, 12:44 AM
It is quite large. They might even be able to order McDonalds from there balcony as close to the property line as it is.;) ;)

Bison bison
10-31-2009, 12:55 AM
I think the high rises were built later but they were paid for by students in the end.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

TheBisonator
11-01-2009, 01:32 AM
Yeah, he's almost certainly right. I probably was confusing it with some other building project like the UP Center.

BTW, has anyone else been by 19th Ave and seen the new Nik Apt Complex? I can't believe how huge the whole thing is. It makes Bison Court look like a kid's play house. I thought they were planning on building it in phases, but it looks like they went ahead with all 800 beds at once.

Hey, I resemble that remark!!

(I live in Bison Court)

:hide:

phpguru
11-01-2009, 05:36 AM
Is there any chance they built it up so much, so they could house the current tenants in the new apartments and finally tear down University Village and replace it with something more modern and functional?

Hammersmith
11-06-2009, 04:10 PM
The Senate just passed a bill that would give NDSU $5 million for a major expansion of the polymers & coatings and nanotechnology building.

duluthbison
11-06-2009, 04:28 PM
The Senate just passed a bill that would give NDSU $5 million for a major expansion of the polymers & coatings and nanotechnology building.

We did get more money than UND.........:innocent:

mebisonII
11-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Is there any chance they built it up so much, so they could house the current tenants in the new apartments and finally tear down University Village and replace it with something more modern and functional?

Universities are in a tough spot with those old apartment buildings. Problem being that if you tear them down and replace with some modern and nice, you also have to raise the rent and they are about the cheapest thing around for the married undergrad and graduate students to live in them. While I'm sure anyone living there would love an upgrade (because they are pretty rough old buildings), I'm not sure they'd take it if it involved a $200/mo rent increase.

Hammersmith
11-06-2009, 06:17 PM
We did get more money than UND.........:innocent:

I wasn't going to say it. :innocent: