PDA

View Full Version : We need a new head coach

bisonfan11
10-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Ok, I know that there have been a few posts about firing Craig Bohl after this season, so I know the last thing some of you Bison faithful want is another fire Bohl post. But I got to thinking about how bad this season has been and I have to wonder if Bohl is the right man to coach this team. When times were good I thought that Bohl was a tough disciplinarian who got the best out of his players, but after some examination from this season and his post game comments he seems more like a FCS version of former Vikings head coach Denny Green. The lack of discipline should never be an issue if you are talking about college athletics, I mean Bohl runs the whole show, so lack of team work and effort should NEVER be the reason for the team preforming poorly. Heck if this Bison team had SOME discipline their record would be 3-5 or 4-4, but because there is no fire or discipline the team is 1-7. A quality head coach could easliy get better production out of this team, even if it meant benching starters because they either can't do the job, or aren't even trying. Another this is that good-great college programs don't re-build for 2-3 seasons they re-tool, and maybe have 1 down season and then are back in contention the following season. I no longer have faith that Bohl is good enough to coach this team, he has "let the inmates run the asylum" and that is something that is unacceptable. I hope that I am wrong, but it is not looking like Bohl is the right coach for the Bison.

HandoEX
10-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Repost!!!!

THEsocalledfan
10-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Ok, I know that there have been a few posts about firing Craig Bohl after this season, so I know the last thing some of you Bison faithful want is another fire Bohl post. But I got to thinking about how bad this season has been and I have to wonder if Bohl is the right man to coach this team. When times were good I thought that Bohl was a tough disciplinarian who got the best out of his players, but after some examination from this season and his post game comments he seems more like a FCS version of former Vikings head coach Denny Green. The lack of discipline should never be an issue if you are talking about college athletics, I mean Bohl runs the whole show, so lack of team work and effort should NEVER be the reason for the team preforming poorly. Heck if this Bison team had SOME discipline their record would be 3-5 or 4-4, but because there is no fire or discipline the team is 1-7. A quality head coach could easliy get better production out of this team, even if it meant benching starters because they either can't do the job, or aren't even trying. Another this is that good-great college programs don't re-build for 2-3 seasons they re-tool, and maybe have 1 down season and then are back in contention the following season. I no longer have faith that Bohl is good enough to coach this team, he has "let the inmates run the asylum" and that is something that is unacceptable. I hope that I am wrong, but it is not looking like Bohl is the right coach for the Bison.

I think this is being discussed at length in other threads. Not sure why we needed another one.

SDbison
10-28-2009, 09:18 PM
I agree with you. Wonder how much those 10-1 seasons were the product of a bunch of hard nosed players and not so much the skills of Bohl or his assistants. A 6-5 season, then at best a 4-7 season, followed by what is likely to be a something close to .500 season is inexcuseable. With the all the money poured into football at NDSU I don't want to go through another crap season. This should not be happening. the O-line is in a major rebuild next year and except for 2 returning starters and one back up (Cornick) there is little for experience or size. Whoever the QB is will be on a learning curve and the Defense has to improve leaps and bounds. Thanks Craig Bohl!

SDbison
10-28-2009, 09:19 PM
I think this is being discussed at length in other threads. Not sure why we needed another one.
So I could start posting again Damn it!

ndsubison1
10-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Hall of Shame

SDbison
10-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Hall of Shame
Why? Because I am posting again! :D

TransAmBison
10-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Welcome back SD!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Ming, you might not like it but there is no reason for this to be HOS. There are legitimate concerns that can be discussed...on no less than 52 threads.

56BISON73
10-28-2009, 09:57 PM
SD
Welcome back!!!!!!!!

BlueBisonRock
10-28-2009, 10:18 PM

Hey SD, welcome back. Glad to have someone on the board who can tell me when I am way off base again! :D

BTW, I believe that Bohl gets another year as the program may need some stability.

BisoninNWMN
10-28-2009, 10:35 PM
I agree with you. Wonder how much those 10-1 seasons were the product of a bunch of hard nosed players and not so much the skills of Bohl or his assistants. A 6-5 season, then at best a 4-7 season, followed by what is likely to be a something close to .500 season is inexcuseable. With the all the money poured into football at NDSU I don't want to go through another crap season. This should not be happening. the O-line is in a major rebuild next year and except for 2 returning starters and one back up (Cornick) there is little for experience or size. Whoever the QB is will be on a learning curve and the Defense has to improve leaps and bounds. Thanks Craig Bohl!

Ya, you are right.

Another sub .500 year and Bohl will probably be gone.

aces1180
10-28-2009, 10:51 PM

Good to see you posting again!

EndZoneQB
10-29-2009, 12:47 AM

Welcome back! :)

This thread will survive just because of people welcoming you back. haha

ndsubison1
10-29-2009, 12:50 AM

you bet! ;) Welcome back SD!

CaBisonFan
10-29-2009, 12:58 AM
Howdy SD...glad to see you around again.

There is a pretty significant portion of the Bison Nation that agrees with this post. It is the reality of coaching in any high-profile athletic program. I'm on the fence somewhere...but I tend to lean toward what has been written here. If it weren't for the contract issue...I'd say that it's over.

I'd like nothing better than to have Coach Bohl prove me wrong if/when he's back next season.

But a true-blue Bison fan 'can' have the opinion of this writer. The priority is the players & the program...not the coach.

heckler
10-29-2009, 01:20 AM
So I could start posting again Damn it!

Welcome back! Hope the pheasants are keeping you busy!

Facts
10-29-2009, 02:42 AM
Yeah, welcome back!* How are things in San Diego?

*I feel like the guy who went to a birthday party for someone he doesn't know.

Tatanka
10-29-2009, 02:53 AM
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu291/easybakejake12/kotter.jpg

CaBisonFan
10-29-2009, 04:02 AM
Yeah, welcome back!* How are things in San Diego?

Isn't that just south of Mitchell?

unbison
10-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Isn't that just south of Mitchell?

CA has jokes.... I am much impressed

Twentysix
10-29-2009, 09:53 AM
I can't wait, next year when they havent fired bohl yet and we go 12-2 and almost get to the NC. You all better eat your hats then! :P

Bisonfan1
10-29-2009, 11:58 AM
I can't wait, next year when they havent fired bohl yet and we go 12-2 and almost get to the NC. You all better eat your hats then! :P

What do you mean "almost get to the NC" WE will be there !!! I excpect a full turn around next year.

onbison09
10-29-2009, 12:04 PM

I will GLADLY eat crow! :nod:

stevdock
10-29-2009, 02:19 PM

I'm in the camp that says the players on those 10-1 teams made up for alot of deficiencies that the coaching staff had. How many times would you see Walker check out of a play?? It seemed like almost every play, probably more like every other. I understand that comes with trust from the coaching staff to Walker, and that trust was not there with Mertens. Last year and a good portion of this year it was run the play that was called in the huddle, and if we are running up the middle against 10 guys in the box, oh well. Walker would have checked out of a marginal play to something that had a higher chance of succeeding.

NDSU1980
10-29-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm in the camp that says the players on those 10-1 teams made up for alot of deficiencies that the coaching staff had. How many times would you see Walker check out of a play?? It seemed like almost every play, probably more like every other. I understand that comes with trust from the coaching staff to Walker, and that trust was not there with Mertens. Last year and a good portion of this year it was run the play that was called in the huddle, and if we are running up the middle against 10 guys in the box, oh well. Walker would have checked out of a marginal play to something that had a higher chance of succeeding.

So what you are saying is that Walker had the talent to make even a bad play succeed, whereas Mertens failed at getting anything accomplished. By Jove, I think you finally got it. It comes down to one player making or breaking you.

bisonmike2
10-29-2009, 03:13 PM

Okay with me.

stevdock
10-29-2009, 03:14 PM
So what you are saying is that Walker had the talent to make even a bad play succeed, whereas Mertens failed at getting anything accomplished. By Jove, I think you finally got it. It comes down to one player making or breaking you.

Problem with this though is until sometime this season I don't remember Mertens calling an audible, and my guess was that the coaches didn't trust/allow him to do it yet. So it was basically coach versus coach with no chance for the offense to audible out of an unsuccessful play. So then, in my opinion, we have been getting severely outcoached the past how many years.

Amused
10-29-2009, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=CaBisonFan;322810]
There is a pretty significant portion of the Bison Nation that agrees with this post. It is the reality of coaching in any high-profile athletic program. I'm on the fence somewhere...but I tend to lean toward what has been written here. If it weren't for the contract issue...I'd say that it's over.
QUOTE]

I don't think the contract would be an issue. What would the buyout be?

If there's a terrible team next year, there might be 3,000 drop in attendance for each game at $20 a pop for 5 games. 3,000 x $20 x 5 = $300,000. I would imagine Teammakers donations would go down also with another year like this, so if they were on board with getting rid of him, they'd probably chip in.

Also, most big-time coaches have a "base" salary, and additional for camps and tv shows. So if you can them, I believe they only owe the "base" portion for a buyout.

badger04
10-29-2009, 03:53 PM
It all comes down to trust. Maybe the quarterbacks and team or may be the coaches do not have the trust in each other. If that is the case we are in deep trouble.

Notorious
10-29-2009, 04:34 PM

This is a bit misleading. It seems to make the assumption that a play is called, and the QB then has free reign to change it to any play he chooses. That is just not the case...not even in the NFL. There are several audible systems used, most of which are driven by the OC, with limited options for the QB. So, even though it may have seemed Walker was magically changing plays to those he thought would work better, that is just not true. He was taking a pre-snap read and determining the best available option to select, from a pre-detemined gameplan. I have to beleive that Mertens is utlizing the same system.

It then comes down to execution, rather than some mythical ability to audible. Using audibles really is not as difficult as many make it out to be.

Notorious
10-29-2009, 04:36 PM
....or so I've heard.

NDSU1980
10-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Problem with this though is until sometime this season I don't remember Mertens calling an audible, and my guess was that the coaches didn't trust/allow him to do it yet. So it was basically coach versus coach with no chance for the offense to audible out of an unsuccessful play. So then, in my opinion, we have been getting severely outcoached the past how many years.

Trust. That's what it came down to. If they didn't trust Mertens, why the heck was he in there? On that basis alone he should have been put out to pasture a year ago.

unbison
10-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Trust. That's what it came down to. If they didn't trust Mertens, why the heck was he in there? On that basis alone he should have been put out to pasture a year ago.
So essentially you are saying........ bad coaching?

SUPERBUNNY
10-29-2009, 09:42 PM

With all due respect, there is drinking the Kool Aid but this is buying it by the tanker truck. I hope you guys get it going but that might be a bit much.

Not meaning smack here, I've said many times to hang in there and things will turn.

SUPERBUNNY

EndZoneQB
10-29-2009, 10:57 PM

Exactly.

Too short(luckily she's never said that..:hide: )

NDSUFan_Sav
10-29-2009, 11:12 PM
What do you mean "almost get to the NC" WE will be there !!! I excpect a full turn around next year.

now you're talking see you November 21st :)

NDSU1980
10-30-2009, 12:15 AM
So essentially you are saying........ bad coaching?

As I have said earlier, I blame 50% of this fiasco on Mertens and the other 50% on Bohl. (for playing Mertens). :hide:

TransAmBison
10-30-2009, 01:46 AM
As I have said earlier, I blame 50% of this fiasco on Mertens and the other 50% on Bohl. (for playing Mertens). :hide:
C'mon...Merten's mom deserves at least 20% blame. :D

CaBisonFan
10-30-2009, 05:03 AM

Hell...I'd even take Craig Bohl back. Are you out there somewhere Craig? Hello?

TheDoctor
10-30-2009, 05:31 AM
C'mon...Merten's mom deserves at least 20% blame. :D

Her famous Tuna caserole that Nick eats before every game might have something to do with that. Oh and then there is the blanket she made him that he STILL :rofl: sleeps with. You can't even make up material like that. It's amazing what you can learn from Phil's 20 questions with a Bison football player on the Bohl show! ;)

rutlandbison
10-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Ok quick question, now this isn't intended to piss anyboyd off or anything. Ok, so some have eluded that we need to get a new head coach, I think we need to look into also, but some seem to think the reason we aren't winning is less talent right now. My question is, how is the new coach supposed to win with this lack of talent? Again not intended to start a bla bla bla bla bla thing.

bisonmike2
10-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Ok quick question, now this isn't intended to piss anyboyd off or anything. Ok, so some have eluded that we need to get a new head coach, I think we need to look into also, but some seem to think the reason we aren't winning is less talent right now. My question is, how is the new coach supposed to win with this lack of talent? Again not intended to start a bla bla bla bla bla thing.

from my point of view I'm hoping that the next guy, if there is a next guy, will be a better talent evaluator. Which doesn't do much now, but I also hope that the new guy has new ability to make in game adjustments that allow us to take advantage of developing in-game situations. I think that's been sorely lacking the past couple of years.

RunDMc34
10-30-2009, 04:50 PM
from my point of view I'm hoping that the next guy, if there is a next guy, will be a better talent evaluator. Which doesn't do much now, but I also hope that the new guy has new ability to make in game adjustments that allow us to take advantage of developing in-game situations. I think that's been sorely lacking the past couple of years.

Sickest thing is, is that we used to be one of the best teams in the country at making halftime or first half adjustments, especially on Defense. I remember many games where the other team scored easily on their first drive we adjusted and they would score 7 or 10 the rest of the game.

Back in 2006-07 when we curb stomped Cal Poly 51-14 they scored 2 quick first quarter TDs and then did nothing the rest of the game, we on the other hand scored nothing in the first in 51 in the next 3.

I guess my question is why could we adjust back then and now we cant seem to make an adjustment to save our lives. To me this is one of the most frustrating parts of the last 2 seasons.

bisonfan11
10-30-2009, 05:03 PM

Granted the lack of talent has cost us some games this year. However if the new coach is more disciplined, then the off season problems will be pretty much non existent, and the on field play will be more crisp. The lack of talent might keep the Bison out of the play-offs even with a new HC, however I feel a more disciplined head coach will lead to more wins, and someday a national championship. Personally I see Craig Bohl as the FCS equivalent of former Vikings head coach Denny Green.

NDSUstudent
10-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Granted the lack of talent has cost us some games this year. However if the new coach is more disciplined, then the off season problems will be pretty much non existent, and the on field play will be more crisp. The lack of talent might keep the Bison out of the play-offs even with a new HC, however I feel a more disciplined head coach will lead to more wins, and someday a national championship. Personally I see Craig Bohl as the FCS equivalent of former Vikings head coach Denny Green.

Denny Green? The guy has had off the field problems for one season, I kind of think he has got that taken care of again. Heck, NDSU had more players on the MVFC honor roll than any other conference team last year(37 Bison players made it). So while everyone runs him down for what happened with a few players, he obviously is doing something right.

Bohl's problem is that he had two bad recruiting classes, we have some talent among our upperclassmen but almost all of it is on the OL. This team didn't have much depth to start with and the 20 injuries has just furthered the slide.

Bohl gets one more year to turn it around, he has deserves it, and since his last two classes appear solid it could very well turn around.

KilldeerBison
10-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Denny Green? The guy has had off the field problems for one season, I kind of think he has got that taken care of again. Heck, NDSU had more players on the MVFC honor roll than any other conference team last year(37 Bison players made it). So while everyone runs him down for what happened with a few players, he obviously is doing something right.

Bohl's problem is that he had two bad recruiting classes, we have some talent among our upperclassmen but almost all of it is on the OL. This team didn't have much depth to start with and the 20 injuries has just furthered the slide.

Bohl gets one more year to turn it around, he has deserves it, and since his last two classes appear solid it could very well turn around.

If you want to CROWN him, go ahead! I say he was exactly the guy we thought he was. Now, if you get one of those Calcutta Clippers blowing through, that's a different story.

BadlandsBison
10-30-2009, 05:52 PM
++++++++:D

ndsubison1
10-30-2009, 08:16 PM

RECRUITING, RECRUITING. RECRUITING BLAH BLAH BLAH :mad: :mad: :mad:

overquota
10-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Sickest thing is, is that we used to be one of the best teams in the country at making halftime or first half adjustments, especially on Defense. I remember many games where the other team scored easily on their first drive we adjusted and they would score 7 or 10 the rest of the game.

Back in 2006-07 when we curb stomped Cal Poly 51-14 they scored 2 quick first quarter TDs and then did nothing the rest of the game, we on the other hand scored nothing in the first in 51 in the next 3.

I guess my question is why could we adjust back then and now we cant seem to make an adjustment to save our lives. To me this is one of the most frustrating parts of the last 2 seasons.

Coach Gus was here and now is gone.

bisonfan11
11-03-2009, 09:35 PM

Not that I want to p*** you off, but I think that the Bison lack discipline on the field more than off the field. I mean I was at the NDSU/UNI game and to me it looked like the team was not really into the the game and was bad when they got in the red zone in the 1st half. That is all discipline and I think that Bohl steps back when he needs to find winners, not players who go out and just play. And the off the field problems have been there before this year, but because of NDSU's success we did not hear about the off the field problems until now. It is time to get a more disciplined coach that does not accept failure, Bohl has been fine with failure for two years now IMO.

westriver bison
11-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Coach Gus was here and now is gone.

ding, ding, ding, ding..........and we have a winner

CaBisonFan
11-03-2009, 11:49 PM

It starts at the top with a dynamic leader, with recruiting skills and the ability to lure outstanding assistant coaches into the program. The new guy hits the trail to find a few JUCO/FBS transfers to fill glaring gaps. And you go from there. We have some outstanding young talent coming up...but there are gaps. Some of it isn't Bohl's fault. But there's something going on that has brought about the inconsistency...and it ain't just injuries.

Beyond that...a dynamic, inspirational leader that is just an outstanding coach in all phases. NDSU deserves nothing less. The program deserves nothing less. And the upcoming players deserve nothing less.

dryash83
11-04-2009, 12:02 AM
that type of response would support the theory that GM Chairman Waggoner should've been left to stay on, it was his staff and employees that were the weakest link....

CaBisonFan
11-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Ok, I know that there have been a few posts about firing Craig Bohl after this season, so I know the last thing some of you Bison faithful want is another fire Bohl post. But I got to thinking about how bad this season has been and I have to wonder if Bohl is the right man to coach this team.

I hope that NDSU sees that this is more than a story about injuries and inexperience. A young ball of fire needs to come in and rip a new one. The players that have a great attitude would probably appreciate it. They wouldn't want to tell people. Not politically correct.

CaBisonFan
11-04-2009, 12:54 AM
that type of response would support the theory that GM Chairman Waggoner should've been left to stay on, it was his staff and employees that were the weakest link....

How large was the staff and work force? Are you talking about the GM work force...as in thousands of people?

TransAmBison
11-04-2009, 01:23 AM
I hope that NDSU sees that this is more than a story about injuries and inexperience. A young ball of fire needs to come in and rip a new one. The players that have a great attitude would probably appreciate it. They wouldn't want to tell people. Not politically correct.
I think plenty would be said afterwards.

CaBisonFan
11-04-2009, 01:27 AM
I think plenty would be said afterwards.

I have a suspicion that you nailed it TransAmBison...:nod:

westnodak93bison
11-04-2009, 01:34 AM
imho, we dont need a new coach. I think Bohl got the needed wake up call. He will turn it arount. Historically teams struggle with new coordinators.

CaBisonFan
11-04-2009, 01:45 AM
imho, we dont need a new coach. I think Bohl got the needed wake up call. He will turn it arount. Historically teams struggle with new coordinators.

IMO...the program has gone too far, and Bohl has lost his credibility with the players. He may be awake...but the players have stopped listening. When that happens, it's over. I couldn't even begin to guess what the inside story is all about...but my gut says that the players have been turned off by something. As I've written before...if you watch the sideline during games, it tells volumes. I can't recall watching a team that is as disinterested when they're not in the game. A fireball coach would fix that in a hurry...and any competitive athlete that cares would be saying to themselves..."tanks coach".....:nod:

As far as the defensive coordinator...I don't really know. But on the offensive side? I see a total lack of timing, innovative play-calling, or any semblence of order. A program like NDSU shouldn't be a training-ground for coordinators. (Refering to the offensive coordinator) There aren't 'years' to waste. Our recruits didn't sign on for a 3 or 4 year learning curve for coaches. Of course...there's an adjustment period...but this is more serious. A proven offensive coordinator was needed...someone that had already done it in a big way at another school.

BisonFellow
11-04-2009, 02:02 AM

I agree with this. Win some more games next year and the perception will suddenly be that the players have that fire back, and with many young starters, folks will be excited about the future again.

People always talk about the learning curve of young players and young teams. Maybe Bohl ran into a learning curve of his own? Maybe he did get a wake up call, maybe he will be better for it. Sometimes descending to the depths does wonders for a young team too.

Gives them that extra grit. Or ruins them like a whipped collie.

The coordinator carousel...Some say a prerequisite of a good college coach is that he attracts great assistants. Good assistants leave. NDSU is not a 'destination' school in the big scheme of college football. The good ones will get plucked. Bohl has had real success recruiting, and some lapses and failures. I think he'll get it turned around and take us to the playoffs in 2011.

Fargo is a fickle town. Stability in a program is not overrated. And it may be good for some NDSU fans to get a comeuppance the way we have put down SDSU over the years...coach stig doesn't look like such a poor, mediocre joke anymore!

ndsubison1
11-04-2009, 02:14 AM
IMO...the program has gone too far, and Bohl has lost his credibility with the players. He may be awake...but the players have stopped listening. When that happens, it's over. I couldn't even begin to guess what the inside story is all about...but my gut says that the players have been turned off by something. As I've written before...if you watch the sideline during games, it tells volumes. I can't recall watching a team that is as disinterested when they're not in the game. A fireball coach would fix that in a hurry...and any competitive athlete that cares would be saying to themselves..."tanks coach".....:nod:

As far as the defensive coordinator...I don't really know. But on the offensive side? I see a total lack of timing, innovative play-calling, or any semblence of order. A program like NDSU shouldn't be a training-ground for coordinators. (Refering to the offensive coordinator) There aren't 'years' to waste. Our recruits didn't sign on for a 3 or 4 year learning curve for coaches. Of course...there's an adjustment period...but this is more serious. A proven offensive coordinator was needed...someone that had already done it in a big way at another school.

doesnt help either when the coaches are yelling at each other continually throughout the games

Bisonfan1
11-04-2009, 02:37 AM
ding, ding, ding, ding..........and we have a winner

We sure do, I wrote the Lengthy letter for Gus, and id write one again, however Bohl is the coach, and I expect him to right the ship in 2010. Gus is leaps and bounds away from NDSU football now, and congrats to him !! Way to move up the ladder. Coach Bohl needs to right the ship in 2010, or he will be falling off the ladder. I like Craig, this is a huge bump in the road, but give the guy one more season, I will support this, however I dont think there will be any more tolerance for a season like this from all aspects of Bison supporters for a repeat of this season. We have some studs in the stables and im pretty excited about next year. GO BISON !!!

mgbison
11-04-2009, 05:35 AM
I agree this whole fire Bohl crap is getting old. Obviously, no one is happy with the results of this season, but anybody who knows anything about football, knew we were going to be 7-4 at best this year. Next year will be a new year and i'm actually excited about it. Even the miami hurricaines were 5-7 in 2007, and michigan's recaord last year show that good programs go through bad years, but they recover. We have a lot of young talent, and will be one of the top 2 teams in the confernce in 2 years, max.

4mcruenomore
11-04-2009, 05:47 AM
I'm surprised that someone that makes this thread is still allowed to post on bisonville, really, lots of kool-aid drinkers on here lately. If anybody brings up the 10-1 season wins against no-body's, don't get me started. Sorry fellas, we are looking for a new headcoach.

mgbison
11-04-2009, 05:57 AM
a little off topic, maybe Cincinnati should have fired their head coach. That would have been a great decision. Or we could be like the Browns and after every bad year just fire our head coach. Bohl has at least earned the right to correct the ship. If we are less than .500 after next year, then maybe something needs to be done.

CaBisonFan
11-04-2009, 06:04 AM
Next year will be a new year and i'm actually excited about it.

Yes...next year will be a new year...:nod:

ndsubison1
11-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Sorry fellas, we are looking for a new headcoach.

Since when??? :confused:

BisoninNWMN
11-04-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm surprised that someone that makes this thread is still allowed to post on bisonville, really, lots of kool-aid drinkers on here lately. If anybody brings up the 10-1 season wins against no-body's, don't get me started. Sorry fellas, we are looking for a new headcoach.

IMO...no we're not.

If 10 is like this yr then he will probably be gone.

BisonCountry
11-04-2009, 12:28 PM
IMO...no we're not.

If 10 is like this yr then he will probably be gone.

Agree... unless everyone on here is sending $ c/o Bohl Buyout Fund.

dryash83
11-04-2009, 03:42 PM
I we can agree that we had a whole host of talent on our team last year, then can we conclude that recruiting isn't an issue?

TransAmBison
11-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I we can agree that we had a whole host of talent on our team last year, then can we conclude that recruiting isn't an issue?
I stand in opposition to this statement.

THEsocalledfan
11-04-2009, 04:10 PM
You know, we can hash these issues to death and honestly, we will never truly know if it is a talent deficit or a coaching deficit or a leadership deficit, etc.

All I know is that this team sucks and needs to get better next year. End of story.

SDbison
11-04-2009, 04:19 PM
You know, we can hash these issues to death and honestly, we will never truly know if it is a talent deficit or a coaching deficit or a leadership deficit, etc.

All I know is that this team sucks and needs to get better next year. End of story.
And even if Bohl doesn't get fired this year or during next year he needs to feel the heat that the university, teammakers and fans are not happy about the product he is putting on the field. Just because he knows that and feels bad isn't enough. He should be losing sleep and trying like hell to get things straightened out, not making plans for happy times with his new bride. I don't give rip how good the MVFC is supposed to be, or the fact we have new assistant coaches, or there are too many injuries......it all comes back to Bohl. NDSU is not some low level or middle of the road football team that should accept crap performances on and off the field. Lets get it together Craigster!

dryash83
11-04-2009, 04:23 PM
My point is this: For as many players that graduated and went onto tryouts with NFL teams, a few made it, many did not, if we had such talent on our team last year, what was a primary facet of this team that didn't accomplish what many of us anticipated? I agree recruiting is a critical tool. I just think coaching skills brings the talent together, and if we had sufficient talent...........

SDbison
11-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Disagree.......many of those wins in the 10-1 season were against good FCS teams and several against respectible FBS teams. Do I need to list them? OK I will......UD Davis, Cal Poly, Georgia Southern, Stephen F Austin, Sam Houston, SDSU, Minnesota, Ball State, Central Michigan...... to name a few.
Again, Bohl had some very good players that may have developed on their own and were not a product of his recruiting either. The question is what caused the demise of the football program....was it sub par recruiting, lack of player development, inadequate assistant coaches, lack of leadership / execution by players or poor head coaching decisions? In my mind it's a combination of all of the above, and that means Bohl is significantly responsible for the overall condition of the program.

NDSUstudent
11-04-2009, 04:32 PM
My point is this: For as many players that graduated and went onto tryouts with NFL teams, a few made it, many did not, if we had such talent on our team last year, what was a primary facet of this team that didn't accomplish what many of us anticipated? I agree recruiting is a critical tool. I just think coaching skills brings the talent together, and if we had sufficient talent...........

QB play, which is stemmed from using the QB in an offense that wasn't suited for him, which stemmed from not recruiting enough QBs. That was the biggest coaching problem last year, Bohl paid dearly for his sin of not recruiting a QB for a few years.

There were some significant injuries, Roehl and especially Heckendorf battled them all year.

dryash83
11-04-2009, 04:40 PM
And many here state we will not see exceptional play for another couple years, which equates to a recruting gap, which points directly to head coach lack of leadership.

SDbison
11-04-2009, 04:42 PM
QB play, which is stemmed from using the QB in an offense that wasn't suited for him, which stemmed from not recruiting enough QBs. That was the biggest coaching problem last year, Bohl paid dearly for his sin of not recruiting a QB for a few years.

There were some significant injuries, Roehl and especially Heckendorf battled them all year.
Get over it student........Mertens was a mediocre DI-FCS QB at best regardless of his desire or type of offense that was run. He can't pass reliably and his running ability was so-so as he isn't that fast or ellusive at the DI level.
I agree the biggest issue is there were no QB options because Bohl let that occur (and Parsons or Brekke were as bad if not worse than Mertens so don't say if only they stuck around).

SDbison
11-04-2009, 04:43 PM
And many here state we will not see exceptional play for another couple years, which equates to a recruting gap, which points directly to head coach lack of leadership.
Bingo.......yep..........exactly!

THEsocalledfan
11-04-2009, 04:47 PM

No offense, 4mcrue, but that was one of the dumbest posts I have seen in recent memory.

NDSUstudent
11-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Get over it student........Mertens was a mediocre DI-FCS QB at best regardless of his desire or type of offense that was run. He can't pass reliably and his running ability was so-so as he isn't that fast or ellusive at the DI level.
I agree the biggest issue is there were no QB options because Bohl let that occur (and Parsons or Brekke were as bad if not worse than Mertens so don't say if only they stuck around).

SD, if we run this year's offense last year, Mertens probably throws less interceptions and the team wins one or maybe two more games. It was ridiculous to make him run Walker's offense, the best thing he can do is run which was the worst part of Walker's game.

But it wouldn't have mattered, this year would still have been a debacle regardless of what we would have done last year.

I can't wait for the spring game, going to be nice to see a real QB competition for a change.

THEsocalledfan
11-04-2009, 06:29 PM
SD, if we run this year's offense last year, Mertens probably throws less interceptions and the team wins one or maybe two more games. It was ridiculous to make him run Walker's offense, the best thing he can do is run which was the worst part of Walker's game.

But it wouldn't have mattered, this year would still have been a debacle regardless of what we would have done last year.

I can't wait for the spring game, going to be nice to see a real QB competition for a change.

I think, in theory, you are correct and feel they had not choice but to run Mertens more. However, NDSU was supposedly committed to a West Coast offense and should have had a QB that can run it.

Bisonguy
11-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Disagree.......many of those wins in the 10-1 season were against good FCS teams and several against respectible FBS teams. Do I need to list them? OK I will......UD Davis, Cal Poly, Georgia Southern, Stephen F Austin, Sam Houston, SDSU, Minnesota, Ball State, Central Michigan...... to name a few.
Again, Bohl had some very good players that may have developed on their own and were not a product of his recruiting either. The question is what caused the demise of the football program....was it sub par recruiting, lack of player development, inadequate assistant coaches, lack of leadership / execution by players or poor head coaching decisions? In my mind it's a combination of all of the above, and that means Bohl is significantly responsible for the overall condition of the program.

Their records during the 10-1 seasons:
UC-Davis (6-5, 5-6)
Cal-Poly (7-4, 7-4)
SFA (4-7, 0-11)
SHSU (7-4)
SDSU (7-4, 7-4)
GSU (3-8)
WIU(1-10)
Northeastern(5-6)
IllSt(4-7)

Those 10-1 seasons were littered with tomato cans and mediocrity on the schedule. Not even any playoff one-and-dones on that list.

Most complete game was against CMU, and it's been a downhill slide ever since. The opponents are definitely not getting any easier.

NorthernBison
11-04-2009, 09:27 PM
There is something I've been thinking about for a couple days and this thread is as good a place to put it as any. I'll try to keep it short and bear with me.

First of all, I'm not saying we need to necessarily lower the bar on expectations but we do need to realize the fact that nobody dominates at this level every year. Heck, we haven't dominated at any level for the last 20 years. Regardless of our facilties, fan support, and budget, it is not overwhelming compared to our peers. That's the bad news.

The worse news is that one of our biggest problems since 1990 (20 years) is the inability to win the big games consistently. Don't think so? Why hasn't there ever been a playoff game in a Fargodome? We always lost a game that we NEEDED to win.

You guys have been comparing things from 2006 and 2007. Let's stick with 2007 for just a moment. That was a great year to be a Bison. For giggles, consider that team was TWO PLAYS away from being 8-3 (SHSU pass, Poly Bomb). Now, I hate the IF IF IF crap because it doesn't change reality BUT, this year's team is one stop at SHSU, one phantom flag vs ISU, and one fumble vs MSU from being 5-4 and in a position to get to 7-4. That would still not be playoff caliber. Why? Because we lost the important games and those were never really in question (SIU, UNI, SDSU). That kind of stuff is not new and has been going on for 20 years with only a few exceptions.

We all know that this team has lots of holes and there is plenty of blame for the coaching staff. What really bothers me though is NOT the losses to the weaker teams. I think that will work itself out. We must find ways to win the big games and that is something that is sorely missing for a long time with this program. We have a long way to go because the route to the post-season requires winning at least two of those three big conference games consistently and I wonder just how we're going to get to that point.

EndZoneQB
11-04-2009, 10:23 PM
There is something I've been thinking about for a couple days and this thread is as good a place to put it as any. I'll try to keep it short and bear with me.

First of all, I'm not saying we need to necessarily lower the bar on expectations but we do need to realize the fact that nobody dominates at this level every year. Heck, we haven't dominated at any level for the last 20 years. Regardless of our facilties, fan support, and budget, it is not overwhelming compared to our peers. That's the bad news.

The worse news is that one of our biggest problems since 1990 (20 years) is the inability to win the big games consistently. Don't think so? Why hasn't there ever been a playoff game in a Fargodome? We always lost a game that we NEEDED to win.

You guys have been comparing things from 2006 and 2007. Let's stick with 2007 for just a moment. That was a great year to be a Bison. For giggles, consider that team was TWO PLAYS away from being 8-3 (SHSU pass, Poly Bomb). Now, I hate the IF IF IF crap because it doesn't change reality BUT, this year's team is one stop at SHSU, one phantom flag vs ISU, and one fumble vs MSU from being 5-4 and in a position to get to 7-4. That would still not be playoff caliber. Why? Because we lost the important games and those were never really in question (SIU, UNI, SDSU). That kind of stuff is not new and has been going on for 20 years with only a few exceptions.

We all know that this team has lots of holes and there is plenty of blame for the coaching staff. What really bothers me though is NOT the losses to the weaker teams. I think that will work itself out. We must find ways to win the big games and that is something that is sorely missing for a long time with this program. We have a long way to go because the route to the post-season requires winning at least two of those three big conference games consistently and I wonder just how we're going to get to that point.

Well said, except honestly, I really think we could have beaten SIU, not sure about SDSU because I missed the game. Otherwise, the UNI was the only game I felt we looked legitimately overmatched, which is sad because it was the only one of those that was a home game.

THEsocalledfan
11-05-2009, 01:17 PM

The only thing I would add is to point out the 2006 team was much better than the 2007 team. That often gets forgotten and the only problem with the above comparison.

NorthernBison
11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
The only thing I would add is to point out the 2006 team was much better than the 2007 team. That often gets forgotten and the only problem with the above comparison.

I absolutely agree. There is no comparison from 2006 to 2007. That's why i focused on 2007 and left 2006 alone. That team got it done and is one of the few exceptions over the last 20 years along with the team from Lamar's Junior year.