PDA

View Full Version : Kalen DeBoer?

GoJacks
10-28-2009, 01:49 AM
ZA friend of mine who is very much inside the University of Sioux Falls program thinks that their great coach DeBoer might be gone within a year or two to UND or even NDSU. You guys heard that rumor? Thoughts?

How about a replacement for Bohl? I am being honest when I say the NDSU jobs, IMO, is one of the best in the entire nation.....easily.

lakesbison
10-28-2009, 03:36 AM
no, what have they done lately? nothing, big deal.

X-Factor
10-28-2009, 03:49 AM
I honestly didn't know anything about Sioux Falls until they beat UND. Amazing win for them no doubt and I bet it put their coach on some short lists. Obviously Bohl will be here at least through next year, after that it might be up to the win/loss ratio and Gene Taylor's tolerance.

CaBisonFan
10-28-2009, 03:54 AM
I honestly didn't know anything about Sioux Falls until they beat UND. Amazing win for them no doubt and I bet it put their coach on some short lists. Obviously Bohl will be here at least through next year, after that it might be up to the win/loss ratio and Gene Taylor's tolerance.

It's about the contract now...IMO. But one more year of mediocrity will probably be allowed.

MinotBison
10-28-2009, 04:00 AM
ZA friend of mine who is very much inside the University of Sioux Falls program thinks that their great coach DeBoer might be gone within a year or two to UND or even NDSU. You guys heard that rumor? Thoughts?

How about a replacement for Bohl? I am being honest when I say the NDSU jobs, IMO, is one of the best in the entire nation.....easily.

Where does he normally recruit, and how does he sell going to a small private school like Sioux Falls College?

DjKyRo
10-28-2009, 05:50 AM
no, what have they done lately?

Humiliated UND, and that's good enough for me.

GoJacks
10-28-2009, 05:55 AM
Honestly, DeBoer was offered the Nebraska WR coaching position in the offseason and turned it down.

I think the NDSU job is a little big for DeBoer (close to 30 years old) right now, but he has a bright future.

My pal, w/ inside knowledge, thinks NDSU would take DeBoer tommorow.

My opinion is that, IF NDSU replaced Bohl they would do so w/ a proven FCS coach or a FBS assistant stud.

GoJacks
10-28-2009, 05:59 AM
no, what have they done lately? nothing, big deal.

What has USF done lately? Look it up. Look up DeBoers career W/L record. Few CFB coaches can match his record. Great guy too!

WYOBISONMAN
10-28-2009, 12:34 PM
It's about the contract now...IMO. But one more year of mediocrity will probably be allowed.

Good grief.....the contract is not a big deal. If they wanted Craig gone it will be done at the end of the season with out a thought given to the contract cost. The real issue will be what is best for NDSU Football.

HandoEX
10-28-2009, 01:58 PM
My pal, w/ inside knowledge, thinks NDSU would take DeBoer tommorow.

My opinion is that, IF NDSU replaced Bohl they would do so w/ a proven FCS coach or a FBS assistant stud.

I agree with you.

JacksFan06
10-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Was interested myself so I looked up what Kalen has accomplished so far.
Here's a link to his bio:
http://www.usfcougars.com/mens-sports/football/coaches?team=76&coach=10

In 4.5 years as coach, he has gone 60-3 with 2 national championships. The 60 wins have all pretty much been blow outs too.
USF has been a national powerhouse at the NAIA level for several years now and Coach Deboer came into the program with a team that was already very good. It takes a good coach to come in to that and keep it going though. USF is now moving up to DII and will be very competitive from the get go.

GoJacks
10-28-2009, 07:53 PM
And get this.....of those three losses, 2 are in the National Championship game and only one is a regular season loss (to Morningsie I believe). That's off the top of my head, so it could be wrong (but I think I'm right or very close).

GradBison
10-28-2009, 08:16 PM
lol maybe the Jacks should hire him?

I'm willing to bet all these "rumors" everyone is hearing started right here on Bisonville shortly after SF win at UND.

GoJacks
10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm pretty sure the Jacks are quite happy w/ Stig.

His job gets a little easier if he makes the playoffs this year, when the Dykhouse facility gets finished, when State renovates Coughlin Alumni and when State hires the max assistants and pays them accordingly. All is going to happen under new AD Justin Sell. Stig and company have put a competetive product on the field despite being at a big disadvantage in terms of what I mentioned above. It will be nice to see what Stig can do when it's all fixed.

Bison06
10-28-2009, 08:41 PM
This is a joke right, there is no way an NAIA coach is making the jump to NDSU, I don't care what he has accomplished. Completely different game at that level.

BisonAccountant44
10-28-2009, 09:06 PM
This is a joke right, there is no way an NAIA coach is making the jump to NDSU, I don't care what he has accomplished. Completely different game at that level.

Yet, there are those on here hoping for Kevin to get the job even though he only has highschool coaching experience. :hide:

Bison06
10-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Equally ridiculous, IMO.

BisonAccountant44
10-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Equally ridiculous, IMO.

I completly agree. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Kevin come back someday, but he needs some experience at the college level first.

westnodak93bison
10-29-2009, 02:13 AM
yeah, I suppose there were naysayers at S. Illinois saying Lennon didnt have big time college experience and he will win a 2nd straight MVC title.

RunDMc34
10-29-2009, 04:13 AM
without his own players, im just saying.....

I think Lennon will be fine but who knows Bohl looked pretty amazing with other coaches recruits too

coldspot
10-29-2009, 12:16 PM

NAIA coach soon to be DII. dont we have a DII coach right now? and who says the guy has to be head coach? bring him on as an assistant, he obviously knows how to get things done, unlike some of our coaching staff.

JacksFan06
10-29-2009, 12:35 PM
How about Jim Tressell moving up to Ohio St from Youngstown St

56BISON73
10-29-2009, 12:39 PM
or how about the coaches that jumped from NDSU to the NFL???? They kind of missed a whole different level also.

stevdock
10-29-2009, 02:14 PM
or how about the coaches that jumped from NDSU to the NFL???? They kind of missed a whole different level also.

Yeah but as a Bears fan I am still hoping that someone will take Mr. Babich back down a level to get that seasoning ;)

CaBisonFan
10-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah but as a Bears fan I am still hoping that someone will take Mr. Babich back down a level to get that seasoning ;)

A Bears fan from da Goose River Valley? :D

Bison06
10-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Maybe I misunderstood, so correct me if I'm wrong, but his name is coming up as the Head Coach of NDSU right? That is what is ridiculous. To bring him on as an assistant is well within reason and he absolutely has proven enough to have earned that. So I don't think Tressel from I-AA powerhouse to I-A powerhouse is even close to this situation, either is an NDSU head coach becoming an assistant for an NFL team. All I was saying is mentioning Kalen DeBoer in NDSU head coach conversation is a joke. I am all for bringing in someone who has had his success as a position coach.

Bison06
10-30-2009, 12:32 AM
Who is our DII coach? Coach Bohl was brought in for one reason to bring this team into DI, the fact that he started here while we were DII was only a matter of timing.

Bison06
10-30-2009, 12:35 AM
yeah, I suppose there were naysayers at S. Illinois saying Lennon didnt have big time college experience and he will win a 2nd straight MVC title.

You can't honestly be comparing the Lennon move up to Kalen DeBoer becoming the Head Coach at NDSU are you? We all know that UND and NDSU for 15 yrs were only DII by name. They were on par with most DI-AA(FCS) teams that entire time. To go from the Head Coach at an NAIA school to the Head Coach at NDSU is a completely different situation.

westnodak93bison
10-30-2009, 01:09 AM
to say NDSU was playing at an FCS level before Bohl took over is an over statement imho and it is obvious SF was playing more at a DII level than NAIA

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-30-2009, 01:19 AM
I would rather see us hire a coach on his way up from a lower division than a coach from an upper division on his way down.

That being said, Bohl will and should be around for at least one more season.

Leonardite
10-30-2009, 02:26 AM
I would rather see us hire a coach on his way up from a lower division than a coach from an upper division on his way down.

That being said, Bohl will and should be around for at least one more season.

Agreed. Bohl isn't going anywhere, whether you want him to or not. And while DeBoer will almost surely never set foot on the NDSU campus, a good coach is a good coach, regardless of level. Look at Brian Kelly.

mango
10-30-2009, 03:04 AM

Umm are you sure about that second straight MVFC title for SIU?

JacksFan06
10-30-2009, 03:30 AM
You can't honestly be comparing the Lennon move up to Kalen DeBoer becoming the Head Coach at NDSU are you? We all know that UND and NDSU for 15 yrs were only DII by name. They were on par with most DI-AA(FCS) teams that entire time. To go from the Head Coach at an NAIA school to the Head Coach at NDSU is a completely different situation.

USF is only NAIA by name and would be a top team in DII, and as shown, could probably compete with a half of the FCS.

Coaching is coaching, no matter the level. I don't know enough about DeBoer to say he is a great coach but his record does speak volumes.

bisonmike2
10-30-2009, 04:01 AM

Well, technically the NAIA coach has as many wins this year against FCS opponents as our "superior" coach does. I'd even bet that UND has more schollies than Wagner does.

Bison06
10-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Well, technically the NAIA coach has as many wins this year against FCS opponents as our "superior" coach does. I'd even bet that UND has more schollies than Wagner does.

So are you saying you think it would be a good idea to hire this 30 year old guy as the head coach at NDSU? And I don't think it is over-stating it at all too say we were playing FCS quality football when we were DII, anyone remember Montana? They were a playoff team that year.

westnodak93bison
10-30-2009, 01:15 PM

well they have Indiana State, SDSU in Brookings and Missouri State in Carbondale. Two are definitely winnable and SDSU who knows since SIU wont have their QB. With their QB imho they are the odds on favorite to win the league.

bisonmike2
10-30-2009, 02:01 PM
So are you saying you think it would be a good idea to hire this 30 year old guy as the head coach at NDSU? And I don't think it is over-stating it at all too say we were playing FCS quality football when we were DII, anyone remember Montana? They were a playoff team that year.

Nope not saying that. I'm just saying that guy has as many FCS wins this year as Bohl. That's all. I think it would be a huge risk to hire a guy from NAIA for a FCS team, something probably too risky for a program such as NDSU. But I could see one of the traditionally unsuccessful teams taking a shot on him. They wouldn't have anything to lose. If he bombs, big deal your used to it. But if he is as good of coach at their school as he was at USF then you just hit the jackpot.

Mngriz
10-30-2009, 02:10 PM
USF is only NAIA by name and would be a top team in DII, and as shown, could probably compete with a half of the FCS.

Coaching is coaching, no matter the level. I don't know enough about DeBoer to say he is a great coach but his record does speak volumes.

USF would probably beat NDSU :nod:

mango
10-30-2009, 02:12 PM
well they have Indiana State, SDSU in Brookings and Missouri State in Carbondale. Two are definitely winnable and SDSU who knows since SIU wont have their QB. With their QB imho they are the odds on favorite to win the league.

SDSU has Youngstown State and Western Illinois in addition to SIU at home. They win two of those, with one of them being SIU, they are the league champion. Plus SDSU is getting Crawford, their senior quarterback, back soon.

westnodak93bison
10-30-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm just giving my opinion based on the fact that SDSU has never won a big game and Lennon is a damn good coach. I could be wrong but if I were forced to make a bet I'd take SIU.

mango
10-30-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm just giving my opinion based on the fact that SDSU has never won a big game and Lennon is a damn good coach. I could be wrong but if I were forced to make a bet I'd take SIU.

Never won a big game? They just beat UNI and it shouldn't have been as close as the 10 points.

I'm giving my opinion based on the fact SDSU is a damn good team and Stig is a damn good coach. Plus the game is in Brookings.

bisonmike2
10-30-2009, 02:51 PM

Never? Besides the game that Mango listed they also beat us when we were undefeated and ranked #1 to take the Great West conference and before that they beat us in the first ever Dakota Marker game. I think they've done alright. I'm all for SDSU bashing but we just don't have a lot of ammo as of late.

siouxdgj
10-30-2009, 05:23 PM

I seem to recall there was an Ohio high school coach years ago by the name of Paul Brown who stepped into the Ohio State University head coaching job at a time when Ohio State was said to be a "coaching graveyard." Brown turned the Buckeye program around and then helped organize the Cleveland Browns (the original Cleveland Browns now playing as the Baltimore Ravens) where he coached with outstanding success for years. Who's to say that Kevin Feeney can't be an outstanding coach at the college level as well?

stevdock
10-30-2009, 05:31 PM
I seem to recall there was an Ohio high school coach years ago by the name of Paul Brown who stepped into the Ohio State University head coaching job at a time when Ohio State was said to be a "coaching graveyard." Brown turned the Buckeye program around and then helped organize the Cleveland Browns (the original Cleveland Browns now playing as the Baltimore Ravens) where he coached with outstanding success for years. Who's to say that Kevin Feeney can't be an outstanding coach at the college level as well?

I agree with you. The next coach we have needs to be someone who bleeds Green and Gold. That would be Kevin Feeney. Nothing against Babich or Bohl as they both have had success here, but they really have no vested interest in the Bison past the current job. If Bohl gets offered anything close to what Babich was, I would assume he'd be out of here quick. Bradley would have been here forever and done just as good if not better than Bohl. Unfortunately that ship has sailed, but we've got another great coach in town that could bring back that toughness and attitude that the Bison have lacked recently.

NDSUstudent
10-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Feeney needs to coach in college before getting this job. The step up from Fargo South to NDSU is huge in terms of being a head coach.

As for DeBoer. I won't say he wouldn't have a shot if the job opened up sometime in the future but with the facilities and money NDSU can offer he would be a darkhorse.

TransAmBison
10-30-2009, 05:43 PM
I would love to see Feeney on staff, but not as head coach. Maybe offensive coordinator? Maybe that is too high up to start, but I wouldn't mind them taking that chance. The guy has proven leadership abilities.

GradBison
10-30-2009, 08:00 PM
How about we bring Feeney in as QB coach?

Do I really need to say more? I honestly don't know how any coach let a QB get away with horrible mechanics, side arm throws, throwing off the wrong foot, throwing without feet planted, staring down receivers... etc etc.

Bring in a guy who's a Bison through and through and have played the position with great success.

westnodak93bison
10-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Never won a big game? They just beat UNI and it shouldn't have been as close as the 10 points.

I'm giving my opinion based on the fact SDSU is a damn good team and Stig is a damn good coach. Plus the game is in Brookings.

they beat uni after uni lost to siu. siu is their biggest game imho
maybe you are right but I wont bet against Lennon.

mango
10-30-2009, 08:56 PM
they beat uni after uni lost to siu. siu is their biggest game imho
maybe you are right but I wont bet against Lennon.

I agree SIU is their biggest game. What you just said sounds like you are saying the only way SDSU beat UNI is because UNI lost to SIU the week before. UNI hadn't lost back-to-back regular season games in years, so that is not why. SDSU was the better team on the field that day, the score shows the Jacks won by 10, but honestly it wasn't that close.

mebisonII
10-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Re: "Guy who bleeds green and gold", "bring in a Bison", "Someone who understands what Bison fb is all about" comments...

Not trying to call anyone specific out, and I know all fanbases stay stuff like this (see: Nebraska, IA St, etc), but does that really mean anything? I know there's something to it as far as PR and relating to fanbases, but does anyone really believe Bohl or Babich weren't trying their hardest to win in their down years just because they never played for NDSU? Or that there is some intrinsic, magic knowledge communicated only from inside an NDSU helmet that is necessary to coach here?

Seems like empty, rah-rah words to me. Just my $0.02 :blush:

TransAmBison
10-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Re: "Guy who bleeds green and gold", "bring in a Bison", "Someone who understands what Bison fb is all about" comments...

Not trying to call anyone specific out, and I know all fanbases stay stuff like this (see: Nebraska, IA St, etc), but does that really mean anything? I know there's something to it as far as PR and relating to fanbases, but does anyone really believe Bohl or Babich weren't trying their hardest to win in their down years just because they never played for NDSU? Or that there is some intrinsic, magic knowledge communicated only from inside an NDSU helmet that is necessary to coach here?

Seems like empty, rah-rah words to me. Just my $0.02 :blush:
I believe it does mean something. I'll use Tom Billeter (sp?) as an example. Guys who bring in juco transfers and build up teams for the short run can have some limited success, but they fail at the dynasty. We are looking for somebody who bleeds green and gold...somebody looking for the dynasty...not just a playoff run here and there. Bohl has been here long enough...(I don't knock him there too much...but I don't think he planned on being here this long. He was looking at us as a stepping stone. Somebody like Rocky Hager would see us like the big time...all he could ever want. Would be nice to have another coach like that.

GradBison
10-31-2009, 03:50 AM
Exactly. One way to think of it is in terms of a dream job, rather than a means to a bigger end. Another analogy, having the connection to the school is like kids playing a road game at their hometown.
Then there's being part of the school's winning tradition, and making sure the students get the idea of team pride.

Yes, any good coach can and should instill these things, but someone who's been there done that, might have an edge in that area.

It might be an intangible, but I do believe it's an advantage.

mebisonII
10-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Alright, I'll give you the 'dream job' versus 'temporary stopping point' point. We've definitely seen that on the academic side.

westnodak93bison
11-07-2009, 09:30 PM

wasnt even close!