PDA

View Full Version : Take a lesson Dale Lennon, Skip Holtz, Mark Mangino, Gary Patterson, etc...

AKBison
10-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Only a year and a half ago, the Bison faifthul professed an undying love for Coach Bohl and prayed that he would only stay for a few more years. Within that time span, those same fans want to run him out of town on the first train to Lincoln. People often wonder why coaches leave for better jobs even when it looks like they are in a safe place where the fans supposedly love him. Boise State's Chris Peterson come to mind. I think it is safe to bet your last dollar that Bohl wishes he would have taken a job in the MAC when he had a chance. This isn't an inditement on Bison fans as much as it is on the win now and what have you done for me lately habit of sports fans. I am just surprised it has trickled down to FCS football so quickly from proffesional sports. End of rant, let the Bohl bashing continue.

CaBisonFan
10-28-2009, 01:42 AM
I just think that a coach, depending on their personality & style of coaching, can run his course. The window is typically 5-10 years. There's a honeymoon period...and then it's time to win. Bohl got the first two.

The 2008 Bison team had most of the elements of a championship team. The obvious glitch in QB recruiting reared its head once Walker was gone. There were no options. Whose fault was that? Bohl's...and it was no small mistake. It was lethal for the team...and for his reputation. His credibility is in question. His judgment is in question. The players have to be questioning his judgment.

When Bison fans see a complete unraveling of a team and its attitude...there will be trouble in river city. What did Ev Kjelbertson (spelling?) get when he tried to replace Erhardt? The door. Didn't take long either. And his teams weren't even bad. They actually played some decent ball.

Bison coaches win, and then move up to a bigger program...or the NFL. Or...when the team starts to look bad as well as lose...they gone. It's always been that way.

Any coach with a brain knows that when they come here. Any coach in college sports knows that winning is what they're expected to do. They get big salaries and are expected to produce. It's not complicated.

Any fan base will turn on a coach that produces a strange looking product like we've been seeing. It's not just winning and losing in this case. The team looks completely out of sync...and that's being 'kind.'

The Lost Dutchman
10-28-2009, 02:15 AM
Only a year and a half ago, the Bison faifthul professed an undying love for Coach Bohl and prayed that he would only stay for a few more years. Within that time span, those same fans want to run him out of town on the first train to Lincoln. People often wonder why coaches leave for better jobs even when it looks like they are in a safe place where the fans supposedly love him. Boise State's Chris Peterson come to mind. I think it is safe to bet your last dollar that Bohl wishes he would have taken a job in the MAC when he had a chance. This isn't an inditement on Bison fans as much as it is on the win now and what have you done for me lately habit of sports fans. I am just surprised it has trickled down to FCS football so quickly from proffesional sports. End of rant, let the Bohl bashing continue.

It's always easier to say that in hindsight. He also could have left NDSU and failed miserably as well and everyone would be saying how he made such a terrible decision leaving NDSU as well.

ndsubison1
10-28-2009, 02:33 AM
i for one, am glad bohl stayed here

Facts
10-28-2009, 02:46 AM
I just think that a coach, depending on their personality & style of coaching, can run his course. The window is typically 5-10 years. There's a honeymoon period...and then it's time to win. Bohl got the first two.

The 2008 Bison team had most of the elements of a championship team. The obvious glitch in QB recruiting reared its head once Walker was gone. There were no options. Whose fault was that? Bohl's...and it was no small mistake. It was lethal for the team...and for his reputation. His credibility is in question. His judgment is in question. The players have to be questioning his judgment.

When Bison fans see a complete unraveling of a team and its attitude...there will be trouble in river city. What did Ev Kjelbertson (spelling?) get when he tried to replace Erhardt? The door. Didn't take long either. And his teams weren't even bad. They actually played some decent ball.

Bison coaches win, and then move up to a bigger program...or the NFL. Or...when the team starts to look bad as well as lose...they gone. It's always been that way.

Any coach with a brain knows that when they come here. Any coach in college sports knows that winning is what they're expected to do. They get big salaries and are expected to produce. It's not complicated.

Any fan base will turn on a coach that produces a strange looking product like we've been seeing. It's not just winning and losing in this case. The team looks completely out of sync...and that's being 'kind.'

True, but didn't he also run into some bad luck when both Parsons and Brecke quit? Merten's was always heir apparent, but losing both backupQB's who'd been in the system a couple years hurts too.

X-Factor
10-28-2009, 03:44 AM
True, but didn't he also run into some bad luck when both Parsons and Brecke quit? Merten's was always heir apparent, but losing both backupQB's who'd been in the system a couple years hurts too.

Losing all of the backups sure sucked from a depth standpoint, but lets be honest, neither Parsons or Brecke were anywhere near capable of leading a Missouri Valley D1 team. Parsons was a very gifted athlete and a loss to the team, but he was never going to start at QB. Brecke couldn't even keep the starting job at CSP. As mediocre as Mertens is, if he somehow was injured and one of those two was forced to step in I doubt we would win anymore games than we are now. We would just be a heck of a lot less competitive in those losses. Poor recruiting.

I just hope the Bohl has this recruiting things straightened out like he has recently said that he has or we will be in HUGE trouble if we have to run him out of town in a year or two because nothing has changed. That would mean 4-5 years of poor recruiting filling up roster spots.

CaBisonFan
10-28-2009, 03:51 AM

True...but didn't he also forget to give the backups any real playing time when the game was clearly under control? IMO...you need at least two quarterbacks in every recruiting class. You aim for having 8 guys somewhere in the program...and hope that 4 or 5 stick around...minimum.

HerdBot
10-28-2009, 03:58 AM

Coach Stieg had down years and look where they are now. You have to remember Bohl makes nearly 350 grand which is 4 times what Babich made. Had we paid that well back in the day we would have kept other coaches. Being consistant breeds success.

56BISON73
10-28-2009, 04:01 AM
True...but didn't he also forget to give the backups any real playing time when the game was clearly under control? IMO...you need at least two quarterbacks in every recruiting class. You aim for having 8 guys somewhere in the program...and hope that 4 or 5 stick around...minimum.

When do 3rd and 4th team QBs get playing time???? No where that I know of.
Unless its a complete blow out most teams dont substitute. So quality playing time is pretty non existant for back ups.

Plus in this day of pairity 2-3 possesion games arent considered blow outs. It may seem that way to some fans. But think of the games youve seen when a team comes back and scores 21 unanswered points.

CaBisonFan
10-28-2009, 04:07 AM
When do 3rd and 4th team QBs get playing time???? No where that I know of.
Unless its a complete blow out most teams dont substitute. So quality playing time is pretty non existant for back ups.

Plus in this day of pairity 2-3 possesion games arent considered blow outs. It may seem that way to some fans. But think of the games youve seen when a team comes back and scores 21 unanswered points.

Come on 73...you know that there were 3 & 4 touchdown wins where Walker played either to the end or stood on the sideline for one token series. I'm not talking about a 2-touchdown lead with 5-7 minutes left.

HerdBot
10-28-2009, 04:09 AM

You make him sound like a big pussy. Being a head coach making 350 grand comes with a lot of pressure. I highly doubt he wants to leave because hard core fans are unhappy about this season. Besides leaving now would make him a quitter and he's a good coach who wants to wi as badly as we want to win.

CaBisonFan
10-28-2009, 04:11 AM
Coach Stieg had down years and look where they are now. You have to remember Bohl makes nearly 350 grand which is 4 times what Babich made. Had we paid that well back in the day we would have kept other coaches. Being consistant breeds success.

It's a good case in point gabe...but Stieg wouldn't have lasted here.

Wooden at UCLA had 10-15 years of average to good teams...then won 7 national titles in a row...and 10 out of 12 years...with one 2nd place and one 3rd place.

That kind of patience doesn't exist anywhere now. Betcha after SDSU gets a taste of winning that they won't be as patient again.

CaBisonFan
10-28-2009, 04:14 AM
You make him sound like a big pussy. Being a head coach making 350 grand comes with a lot of pressure.

And high expectations.

RunDMc34
10-28-2009, 04:19 AM
Some people act as though Bohl has won us multiple national titles or such, thats about the only way today to keep a job long term now-a-days or to be at an average school doing an average job - Steig (this year is a huge aboration of the norm). Craig Bohl's run is very similar to Charlie Wies in my mind and we all know many Notre Dame supporters especially the hardcores are calling for his head, I see no reason that it doesnt happen here.

If Bohl gets fired I for one wont cry about it, on that same token if Bohl is our coach next season I will support him 100% to start the season. If he continues to produce average or below average teams with no realistic shot at the playoffs then he needs to be gone and some new blood brought in.

JSUBison
10-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Come on 73...you know that there were 3 & 4 touchdown wins where Walker played either to the end or stood on the sideline for one token series. I'm not talking about a 2-touchdown lead with 5-7 minutes left.

When the Bison came to Mississippi Valley State, Mertens played the entire 2nd half with the 2nd team offense.

56BISON73
10-28-2009, 11:00 AM

Then I have to ask what other positions did we see a mass Exodus because they weren't getting playtime during garbage time?
IMO Players don't live for garbage time. They live to get quality reps and serious game time. If players now a days don't see that in their future they are more inclined to seek playing time elsewhere especially if they feel that they can seriously contribute. I think you find that in the QB position more than any other.

stevdock
10-28-2009, 01:46 PM

8 QB's, really?? I realize it is one of the most important positions on the field, but you can not tie up that much scholarship money into one position that if the starter is playing well, the backup's will not play. Especially when for the most part the days of winning 70-0 are over. That is something you rarely see in FCS football.

Facts
10-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Losing all of the backups sure sucked from a depth standpoint, but lets be honest, neither Parsons or Brecke were anywhere near capable of leading a Missouri Valley D1 team. Parsons was a very gifted athlete and a loss to the team, but he was never going to start at QB. Brecke couldn't even keep the starting job at CSP. As mediocre as Mertens is, if he somehow was injured and one of those two was forced to step in I doubt we would win anymore games than we are now. We would just be a heck of a lot less competitive in those losses. Poor recruiting.

Great 2nd day's take on the 1st day's news. Parson's never sniffed starting because everyone thought Merten's may be Walker 2.0. He quit because he decided to focus on academics (law??). As bad as it got with Merten's he may have eventually gotten that chance. We will never know. Your right on Brecke though, and we know that because of what he showed at CSP.

NorthernBison
10-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Then I have to ask what other positions did we see a mass Exodus because they weren't getting playtime during garbage time?
IMO Players don't live for garbage time. They live to get quality reps and serious game time. If players now a days don't see that in their future they are more inclined to seek playing time elsewhere especially if they feel that they can seriously contribute. I think you find that in the QB position more than any other.

Very important point. Nick Mertens put 3 years into the program before he got his chance to get on the field in any sort of meaningful situation. High school stud QB's are very selective about their opportunities. That's why it is so hard to recruit for a QB. If you get it wrong, it costs for SEVERAL years.

I remember a couple years ago about the stable of QB 's that Brewster had on the roster at U of M. Are they still there or did they disappear? I'm asking because I don't know.

THEsocalledfan
10-28-2009, 04:35 PM

I completeley agree. After the success he had, and after only one terrible season (this year), I think he deserves one more year to turn it around. (I remember some on this board, who are calling for Bohl's head saying this was the best recruiting class ever.....) If he cannot get it together next year, and we are still terrible at QB, I will be the first to call for his head; that is a promise.

If they excel, on the other hand, I am going to pull these threads and remind everyone of their short sighted, "what have you done for me lately" attitude.

No_Skill
10-28-2009, 05:03 PM
I completeley agree. After the success he had, and after only one terrible season (this year), I think he deserves one more year to turn it around. (I remember some on this board, who are calling for Bohl's head saying this was the best recruiting class ever.....) If he cannot get it together next year, and we are still terrible at QB, I will be the first to call for his head; that is a promise.

If they excel, on the other hand, I am going to pull these threads and remind everyone or their short sighted, "what have you done for me lately" attitude.

OK, so what's the magic number of wins next year to stay?

I say, playoffs or bust...and those are some long odds.

AKBison
10-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Playoffs or bust at NDSU would be a fair expectation in my mind. But what if we are 7-4 next year, with an awesome recruiting class coming in? Are we really gonna run the coach out of town? There is no doubt that taking a job at NDSU compared to 90% of the other FCS schools will come with major expectations and the coach is paid to live up to those expectations. However, look at App state right now. Their coach has been their forever but has only had success on the national level in the last 4 years. Give Bohl some time to create a program.

No_Skill
10-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Playoffs or bust at NDSU would be a fair expectation in my mind. But what if we are 7-4 next year, with an awesome recruiting class coming in? Are we really gonna run the coach out of town? There is no doubt that taking a job at NDSU compared to 90% of the other FCS schools will come with major expectations and the coach is paid to live up to those expectations. However, look at App state right now. Their coach has been their forever but has only had success on the national level in the last 4 years. Give Bohl some time to create a program.

I don't think you can really qualify a recruiting class until they perform on the field. Just look at the current players. Weren't they part of "awesome" classes?

Unfortunately, I'm one of those impatient fans...I want wins, playoffs, and Championships now.

NDSUstudent
10-28-2009, 05:46 PM

If Bohl turns this mess into 7-4 next year, he won't be fired.

onbison09
10-28-2009, 05:55 PM
If Bohl turns this mess into 7-4 next year, he won't be fired.

Nor shouldn't be IMO.

Bison"FANatic"
10-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Here are some of the stats from 07-08, You can make your own conclusions. I just think there was some time to get the 2nd stringer in the game and I would hope if we are ever in these positions again we would get the second string QB some reps.

Central Michigan
30-14 at end of 3
44 - 14 final
Mertens did not throw a pass

Western Illinois
41-21 at end of 3
41 - 28 final

UC Davis
35 - 10 at end of 3
35- 16 final

Mississippi Valley State
30-0 at half
58 - 7 final
Mertens 8-11 and 1 TD

Southern Utah
52-17 end of 3
52 - 17 final
Mertens went 2-2

Illinois State
47 - 28 after 3
54 - 28 final
Mertens went 0-1

THEsocalledfan
10-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Here are some of the stats from 07-08, You can make your own conclusions. I just think there was some time to get the 2nd stringer in the game and I would hope if we are ever in these positions again we would get the second string QB some reps.

Central Michigan
30-14 at end of 3
44 - 14 final

Western Illinois
41-21 at end of 3
41 - 28 final

UC Davis
35 - 10 at end of 3
35- 16 final

Mississippi Valley State
30-0 at half
58 - 7 final
Mertens 8-11 and 1 TD

Southern Utah
52-17 end of 3
52 - 17 final
Mertens went 2-2

Illinois State
47 - 28 after 3
54 - 28 final
Mertens went 0-1

I certainly understand this point when it is made, but, honestly, I am much more critical of Bohl for not pulling Mertens earlier and I seriously doubt if playing in every one of those games would have made him better. The best reason to have played him at the time was to keep Walker from getting hurt.

I also think Bohl derserves criticism for not having enough viable QBs around. Yes, he was stung with defections, but it is still his reponsibility. Like I said, one more year until I cast him off and I think he has earned that level of patience.

Bison"FANatic"
10-28-2009, 06:47 PM
I certainly understand this point when it is made, but, honestly, I am much more critical of Bohl for not pulling Mertens earlier and I seriously doubt if playing in every one of those games would have made him better. The best reason to have played him at the time was to keep Walker from getting hurt.

I also think Bohl derserves criticism for not having enough viable QBs around. Yes, he was stung with defections, but it is still his reponsibility. Like I said, one more year until I cast him off and I think he has earned that level of patience.

I totally agree

56BISON73
10-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Very important point. Nick Mertens put 3 years into the program before he got his chance to get on the field in any sort of meaningful situation. High school stud QB's are very selective about their opportunities. That's why it is so hard to recruit for a QB. If you get it wrong, it costs for SEVERAL years.

I remember a couple years ago about the stable of QB 's that Brewster had on the roster at U of M. Are they still there or did they disappear? I'm asking because I don't know.

Very good points. One can also look at USC for example. How many TOP NOTCH QBs do they have just sitting around waiting for there big break???
There are numerous other schools also that recruit the best QBs in the nation even though the current starter has 2-3 years left. Why??? because some dont pan out. Some dont develope. Some leave for greener pastures and a host of other reasons.

NorthernBison
10-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Recruiting QB's is probably one area where it pays to spend scholarships on guys that might never see the field. Seems wasteful but, you never know how long a guy will stick around if it looks like he won't get much PT. You rotate running backs and receivers but QB rotations are rare.

I use the Mertens 3 years of sitting example because I know kids think differently. 6 Months is a long time. 3 years is forever and every recruit is the kind of athlete that has seldom watched the game from the bench. Very few of them have the patience to keep practicing for the "chance" to earn playing time in 3 YEARS.

I have been critical of how Coach Bohl used game snaps when Nick was a RFr and a So. Maybe things are changing.

onbison09
10-28-2009, 08:25 PM

Central Michigan
30-14 at end of 3
44 - 14 final

Western Illinois
41-21 at end of 3
41 - 28 final

UC Davis
35 - 10 at end of 3
35- 16 final

Mississippi Valley State
30-0 at half
58 - 7 final
Mertens 8-11 and 1 TD

Southern Utah
52-17 end of 3
52 - 17 final
Mertens went 2-2

Illinois State
47 - 28 after 3
54 - 28 final
Mertens went 0-1
Man that game was awesome :nod:

GoRams
10-29-2009, 02:12 AM

You are correct sir!! Nick was a junior when he became the starter. By that time it doesn't matter if you have experience or not, it was his turn to perform. It didnt work out and I agree he should have been out of there earlier.

You are also right about not having a good second option, I think there is no way that Brecke had the talent to play here (obviously bc he couldn't play at Concordia St. Paul either), and Parson's had a nasty habit of running with the ball every time he dropped back to throw it.

stevdock
10-29-2009, 03:24 AM
Somebody help me out, when Walker tore up his knee at SIU, who came in and finished the game for him?? I know the weather was nasty and there was no passing game period, but I'm just curious.

ndsubison1
10-29-2009, 03:51 AM
Somebody help me out, when Walker tore up his knee at SIU, who came in and finished the game for him?? I know the weather was nasty and there was no passing game period, but I'm just curious.

Parsons went in

RunDMc34
10-29-2009, 04:10 AM

Central Michigan
30-14 at end of 3
44 - 14 final

Western Illinois
41-21 at end of 3
41 - 28 final

UC Davis
35 - 10 at end of 3
35- 16 final

Mississippi Valley State
30-0 at half
58 - 7 final
Mertens 8-11 and 1 TD

Southern Utah
52-17 end of 3
52 - 17 final
Mertens went 2-2

Illinois State
47 - 28 after 3
54 - 28 final
Mertens went 0-1

Steve Walker as a red shirt freshman

VS. Northern Colorado 10-12 112 yards

VS. Northwestern St #15 in the country 8-11 3 TDs

VS Weber St. 8-12 2 TDs

VS. UC Davis 15-20 3 TDs

for the season with 0 real playing time before hand

47-60 for 705 yards and 10 TDs oh yeah 0 ints (some people got it and some people dont)

HerdBot
10-29-2009, 06:30 AM
Steve Walker as a red shirt freshman

VS. Northern Colorado 10-12 112 yards

VS. Northwestern St #15 in the country 8-11 3 TDs

VS Weber St. 8-12 2 TDs

VS. UC Davis 15-20 3 TDs

for the season with 0 real playing time before hand

47-60 for 705 yards and 10 TDs oh yeah 0 ints (some people got it and some people dont)

I remember being impressed but I didn't realize it was that good. He did it vs good competition and on the road.