PDA

View Full Version : InterMat Rankings

BisoninNWMN
10-25-2009, 07:12 PM
The Bison do not have anyone ranked in the top 20 in any weight class.

From the conference I noticed Wyo, Northern Col, UNI and SDSU had wrestlers ranked. I would have thought we would have had at least 1 guy ranked in the top 20 by now. It seems like "next year" is the theme with the wrestling team......maybe this year the team "breaks-out" and has someone make some noise in the national tourney.

BisoninNWMN
10-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Another thing I have noticed:

We have 1 senior and 3 juniors on the team. Have all the recruits from those classes quit or transfered......it seems like we are always heavy with underclassmen....I would have thought we should have a senior and junior heavy team by now......:confused: :confused: :confused:

Does anyone have any answers??

Northern Colorado has 2 or 3 guys ranked......I consider the Bison a better program.......:confused: :confused:

onbison09
10-25-2009, 08:04 PM
I agree with you on the next year theme. Frustrating.

bisoncraze
10-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Look for Ryan Adams to have a great senior season. The word is that he is dropping down to 141 for his senior season. Ryan will be pushing for All-American if he can control his weight properly. Andre Pastelov will then be moving to 149. Andre is a Fargo North graduate and is always fun to watch.
Division I wrestling is a tough gig and I believe there is only around 84 schools that have NCAA Division I wrestling. Majority of good wrestlers choose to go to Big Ten or Big Twelve schools leaving teams like NDSU scrambling to find diamonds in the rough. NDSU has its work cut out for them to ever be a top contender like they were in Division II.
Things to remember are that wrestling is not in the summit league, they are competing against top college programs on a consistent basis and their conference includes teams such as Northern Iowa, University of Wyoming, and Air Force.
This year schedule includes Nebraska, Oregon State, Boise State, Boston, North Carolina State, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Poly and Northern Illinois. We probably won't have a great record this year but hopefully it gets the guys ready for the Western Wrestling Conference tournament.

onbison09
10-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Wrestling's all about peaking at the right time (March). Hopefully our schedule does that.

BisoninNWMN
10-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Look for Ryan Adams to have a great senior season. The word is that he is dropping down to 141 for his senior season. Ryan will be pushing for All-American if he can control his weight properly. Andre Pastelov will then be moving to 149. Andre is a Fargo North graduate and is always fun to watch.
Division I wrestling is a tough gig and I believe there is only around 84 schools that have NCAA Division I wrestling. Majority of good wrestlers choose to go to Big Ten or Big Twelve schools leaving teams like NDSU scrambling to find diamonds in the rough. NDSU has its work cut out for them to ever be a top contender like they were in Division II.
Things to remember are that wrestling is not in the summit league, they are competing against top college programs on a consistent basis and their conference includes teams such as Northern Iowa, University of Wyoming, and Air Force.
This year schedule includes Nebraska, Oregon State, Boise State, Boston, North Carolina State, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Poly and Northern Illinois. We probably won't have a great record this year but hopefully it gets the guys ready for the Western Wrestling Conference tournament.

Good points.

UNI is the only school in our conference that has consistently sent wrestlers to the nationals......granted the Bison are "newbies".

There are smaller schools that have outstanding wrestling traditions: Clarion-Edinboro-Cornell to name a few.

I was wondering why we have so few seniors and juniors year in and year out....do they all tranfer-quit-injury?????

For example: I figured Gabe Mooney would be a lock for the national tourney by his junior/senior yrs with his great HS and cadet record....and he didn't make it. He was one of the best wrestlers in the country before he came to NDSU. Then kids like Travis Lang and Scott Glasser (Bismarck) and the Mellmer (Dickinson) boys go to the Gophers........:( :(

It just seems like we are always "rebuilding".....

Ya, the top kids will always go the the Big 10 or Big 12 schools but there are plenty of great kids out there. Watch the national tourney and kids from smaller schools always make it to the finals......maybe one day a Bison wrestler will be there. I thought we would have had at least one All-American by now.....top 8.

Those schools mentioned on our schedule (Northern Ill, Cal-Poly, Boise State and schools like that.....Bison should be right there with them on a consistent basis). I don't expect us to beat a Big 10 or 12 school but there is no reason why we cannot compete with them. Look at the Iowa State match....complete blow-out.....a competitve school should be able to win one or two weights.....not get blown-out by 40 and have everyone get stuck or majored.