PDA

View Full Version : Calling Out the Players That Are Busting It

CaBisonFan
10-18-2009, 07:24 PM
I'll submit one. There are others. Gratzek...big-time. Playing to win in a big way.

Could you guys add to the list? I could, but would rather not.

tjbison
10-18-2009, 07:29 PM
DJ Mcnorton nobody can say he doesn't give his best (im not saying anybody doesnt) but he would play QB if asked too

NDSUFan_Sav
10-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Preston Evans!!!!

roadwarrior
10-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Pat Paschall

silkamilkamonico
10-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Busting it as in working their tail off?

I don't think there's a lot of talent in the program right now. NDSU IMHO is officaily in a rebuilding period and it's going to take a few years reguardsless of what changes are made.

There just aren't a lot of good young players on the team with the exception of a couple.

CaBisonFan
10-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Busting it as in working their tail off?

I don't think there's a lot of talent in the program right now. NDSU IMHO is officaily in a rebuilding period and it's going to take a few years reguardsless of what changes are made.

There just aren't a lot of good young players on the team with the exception of a couple.

Off topic. We have recruiting threads and discussions about the lack of talent...already. You knew what I meant.

56BISON73
10-18-2009, 07:41 PM
I'll submit one. There are others. Gratzek...big-time. Playing to win in a big way.

Could you guys add to the list? I could, but would rather not.

I have to ask what your parameters are? visual performance on the field?
or anything else???

silkamilkamonico
10-18-2009, 07:42 PM
or anything else???

Apparently I'm not the only one who "knew what you meant".

CaBisonFan
10-18-2009, 07:58 PM
or anything else???

Busting your ass on the field...hitting people...playing Bison football...with great emotion.

DjKyRo
10-18-2009, 08:04 PM
The obvious ones:

Pat Paschall. Yeah he made a mistake in throwing that punch but other than that you can't refute that the guy has given 110% every game regardless of what else is happening.

Preston Evans: Without a doubt the leader of this defense, even though they've not done too much this year. Leader by example.

Matthew Gratzek: A few big stops this week and that FF last week to give NDSU possession - one of the guys who makes things happen on defense. If we had an offense that could expound upon guys like this we'd have a team.

DJ McNorton - maybe not the best stats-wise but he's a real team player and is always the first to congratulate another player on a big play. Football is about more than stats.

and finally,

Prelvitz - he had a too many opportunities to punt it yesterday but he had a few really nice ones and did what he could to give our team a situational advantage. I think he's going to be good next season.

56BISON73
10-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Busting your ass on the field...hitting people...playing Bison football...with great emotion.

I just had to ask because there are alot of players who are busting their ass but they arent meeting all your parameters.
I might also add that you are now singling out players and in doing so you are cutting Bison from the herd. This goes against all the premise of the Bison football that you supposedly cherish.
Think about it.

CaBisonFan
10-18-2009, 08:23 PM
I just had to ask because there are alot of players who are busting their ass but they arent meeting all your parameters.
I might also add that you are now singling out players and in doing so you are cutting Bison from the herd. This goes against all the premise of the Bison football that you supposedly cherish.
Think about it.

Supposedly? You understood the thread. How's your day going? LOL

This team isn't playing like the herd...but players are recognized for achievement all the time...even within the herd. You know...things like all-conference, weekly conference recognition, etc. When one of our players makes one of those lists, I believe that we publish it, and celebrate it. Bentrim & Simdorn accepted the Harlan Hill Award...please correct me if I'm wrong...I'm expecting it.

Thanks for making this into an argument about whether we should recognize players for outstanding effort.

bisonmike2
10-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Think about it.

this herd could probably use a little thinning.

CaBisonFan
10-18-2009, 08:25 PM
this herd could probably use a little thinning.

Good one mike. You get it.

TbonZach
10-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Think about it.

I disagree with you on this one. We call out the players who aren't doing well all the time, but not many think it goes against the premise. But I also agree - they are a team no matter how good an individual is.

CaBisonFan
10-18-2009, 08:40 PM
I disagree with you on this one. We call out the players who aren't doing well all the time, but not many think it goes against the premise. But I also agree - they are a team no matter how good an individual is.

Good points. I would say that the Bison aren't playing like a team right now...so I was just trying to recognize outstanding play & effort. I'm guilty according to a couple of members.

56BISON73
10-18-2009, 08:46 PM

This team isn't playing like the herd.

Days going great. The Packers are winning.:D
Glad you understood my post. The herd will balance its self out. Film doesnt lie. The team is doing the best that they can. Some players play with great emotion but its not visible to you or I. Some lead by example. Everyone plays a role. Everyone on the team knows who is supposed to be playing. Everyone on the team know whos busting there butt and who isnt.

On another note. As hard as it is for the fans to go through a losing spell like this its 100 times harder on the players. You dont know what its like to bust your ass off everyday, prepare and then come up short on game day. Then having to go through it all again the next week with the same results. Again and again.
When things start to go bad sometimes its hard to stop the bleeding. Its a terrible position to be in. But they keep coming back week after week and strap it on again.
Pulling together and not giving up is what Bison Pride is all about. Winning is just a by product.

56BISON73
10-18-2009, 09:00 PM

This team isn't playing like the herd...but players are recognized for achievement all the time...even within the herd. You know...things like all-conference, weekly conference recognition, etc. When one of our players makes one of those lists, I believe that we publish it, and celebrate it. Bentrim & Simdorn accepted the Harlan Hill Award...please correct me if I'm wrong...I'm expecting it.

Thanks for making this into an argument about whether we should recognize players for outstanding effort.

There is a difference between outstanding effort and outstanding results. We arent talking about results.
Your original premise was was to create a list of people who meet your parameters of bustin it. Which would exclude others that you thought didnt or werent playing Bison football.
Now I could be wrong in my interpretation as only you know what your true intent was in starting the thread.

CaBisonFan
10-18-2009, 09:01 PM
On another note. As hard as it is for the fans to go through a losing spell like this its 100 times harder on the players. You dont know what its like to bust your ass off everyday and prepare to come up short on game day. Then having to go through it all again the next week with the same results.
When things start to go bad sometimes its hard to stop the bleeding. Its a terrible position to be in. But they keep coming back week after week and strap it on again.
Pulling together and not giving up is what Bison Pride is all about. Winning is just a by product.

I wanted to play for the Bison badly...but wasn't good enough. You were...but it doesn't make you the only person who knows about the 'team' concept...and the crushing feeling after losing. Playing four sports in high school gave me a concept.

If I put up a thread about how blue the sky was today...you'd say it was another color. This thread 'was' about being a little more positive. But you...today...are into semantics. That's just great.

56BISON73
10-18-2009, 09:31 PM
I wanted to play for the Bison badly...but wasn't good enough. You were...but it doesn't make you the only person who knows about the 'team' concept...and the crushing feeling after losing. Playing four sports in high school gave me a concept.

If I put up a thread about how blue the sky was today...you'd say it was another color. This thread 'was' about being a little more positive. But you...today...are into semantics. That's just great.

The intent of my "on another note" Was to give some insight to those who are jumping on this team with both feet right now. Hopefully it would give them pause to back off just alittle bit.

This wasnt supposed to be about me but just for shits and giggles I will give you some more insight of where Im coming from in that post.
When I was at Iowa we won ONE game. Yes one. We had great talent but the new coaching regime thought they could play MAC football in the Big Ten. That was just one of the many issues.
But we would get---not beat---but freaking HAMMERED EVERY week. Every week we went out and strapped it on again with the same results. Most games we werent even in it but we busted our asses off every play. We left out hearts on the field even though the results werent what we or the fans wanted.

So I may be critical of their play I never try to question their heart. After reading your initial post those experiences raised its ugly head and Im wearing those on my sleeve.

So my post was about anything but semantics.

onbison09
10-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Gotta agree PL. I've never played on a football field due to my CP but I was the DVD guy for my hs team. If any of you watched the OU-Texas game yesterday the Jackson Jeffcoat kid that's #1 in the nation according to ESPN was on that team. But anyways. We ended up losing a playoff game in triple OT when we could have sealed it on a 25 yard FG. There was no one more upset than the kicker. He had to go to school the next day and listen to everyone tell him how much he sucked. Am I guilty of questioning heart when I probably shouldn't on here, absolutely. But I see were PL's coming from.

stevdock
10-18-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't get what the point of this thread is. I haven't seen a single player quit playing out there, not giving the team everything they've got, etc. Like it or not, you can go up and down the lineup and they are all giving it their all, including our QB. The problem may just come down to coaching and talent, which comes back to coaching.

Kermit
10-18-2009, 10:47 PM
The intent of my "on another note" Was to give some insight to those who are jumping on this team with both feet right now. Hopefully it would give them pause to back off just alittle bit.

This wasnt supposed to be about me but just for shits and giggles I will give you some more insight of where Im coming from in that post.
When I was at Iowa we won ONE game. Yes one. We had great talent but the new coaching regime thought they could play MAC football in the Big Ten. That was just one of the many issues.
But we would get---not beat---but freaking HAMMERED EVERY week. Every week we went out and strapped it on again with the same results. Most games we werent even in it but we busted our asses off every play. We left out hearts on the field even though the results werent what we or the fans wanted.

So I may be critical of their play I never try to question their heart. After reading your initial post those experiences raised its ugly head and Im wearing those on my sleeve.

So my post was about anything but semantics.

Outstanding post. We need to be very careful about equating results with effort or pride.

The view from the stands is limited.

CaBisonFan
10-18-2009, 11:14 PM
I don't get what the point of this thread is. I haven't seen a single player quit playing out there, not giving the team everything they've got, etc. Like it or not, you can go up and down the lineup and they are all giving it their all, including our QB. The problem may just come down to coaching and talent, which comes back to coaching.

To recognize players that we see playing their hearts out. It was never complicated. 73 made it complicated. Wow...bisonville is in a good mood today.

CaBisonFan
10-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Outstanding post. We need to be very careful about equating results with effort or pride.

The view from the stands is limited.

And that's all the thread was ever about. Our view.

CaBisonFan
10-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Gotta agree PL. I've never played on a football field due to my CP but I was the DVD guy for my hs team. If any of you watched the OU-Texas game yesterday the Jackson Jeffcoat kid that's #1 in the nation according to ESPN was on that team. But anyways. We ended up losing a playoff game in triple OT when we could have sealed it on a 25 yard FG. There was no one more upset than the kicker. He had to go to school the next day and listen to everyone tell him how much he sucked. Am I guilty of questioning heart when I probably shouldn't on here, absolutely. But I see were PL's coming from.

Anyone...everyone...had the opportunity to call out the entire roster.

CaBisonFan
10-18-2009, 11:18 PM
There is a difference between outstanding effort and outstanding results. We arent talking about results.
Your original premise was was to create a list of people who meet your parameters of bustin it. Which would exclude others that you thought didnt or werent playing Bison football.
Now I could be wrong in my interpretation as only you know what your true intent was in starting the thread.

You made a simple question...or thread...very, very complicated. You could have said..."the whole roster."

onbison09
10-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Anyone...everyone...had the opportunity to call out the entire roster.

That's exactly my point. I don't think it's fair to single out specific player's efforts when only they know if they are truly working their hardest. Unless they obviously loaf it on a play. In full disclosure I did not watch the game last night and I can't stomach watching the coach's show.

stevdock
10-18-2009, 11:23 PM
To recognize players that we see playing their hearts out. It was never complicated. 73 made it complicated. Wow...bisonville is in a good mood today.

Then the answer is everyone who has been on the field as I haven't seen one person quit yet on the team.

CaBisonFan
10-18-2009, 11:24 PM

Whether intended or not...this thread has become about you and your experiences...as though no one else here has experienced athletic disappointment on the field, hardwood, or any sport. You understood the thread to begin with. But if not, you could have simply asked. But no...out came the obstinate 73. I am 'VERY' sorry about your experiences at Iowa. The original intent of the thread was so simple that my dog got it. LOL

I'll take a guess. You didn't like my comment(s) about Qvale...so you got on a roll. Sometimes you're right...and sometimes you're wrong. Same goes for me. Couldn't you have just gone with the most simple basis for this rather innocent thread, and let it go?

I would have accepted this without any problem: "All of the players are busting their butts."

HandoEX
10-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Suprised no one has mentioned Veldman. When he's been healthy, he's a firey competitor and could be a force with a better QB. Love watching this kid play!

56BISON73
10-19-2009, 12:29 AM
Off topic. We have recruiting threads and discussions about the lack of talent...already. You knew what I meant.

Then my question is---If the answer was that simple why would you start the thread in the first place?
May be I read more in to it than I should have. But past history has shown that your threads arent simple.
By calling out the players who are bustin it you have now opened the door to exclude some players which says they arent bustin it. Which IMO is what you were looking for. Why did I read it that way? If you go back and look at your past posts they are riddled with comments like, they play with no heart, they dont have emotion, they dont play Bison football etc etc etc. I could go on. Also if you look at your above response. You are asking one question but you arent looking for that simple answer.
Like I said I could be wrong and read more in to it than I should and for once you actually did post something simple:D

Kermit
10-19-2009, 12:34 AM
I read it the same as 56Bison73. We see results with our eyes. We interpret our observations to imply things about effort,heart,pride, and character that may be invalid
Because of limited data. I am sensitive about it right now because all of the young men associared with this team are going through a rough time.

A1pigskin
10-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Josh Horner is busing his tail to get down the field on special teams.

lost in Fargo
10-19-2009, 03:27 AM
Suprised no one has mentioned Veldman. When he's been healthy, he's a firey competitor and could be a force with a better QB. Love watching this kid play!

Why would you be suprised? He has more drops than catches and he is a poor blocker.

HandoEX
10-19-2009, 04:06 AM
Why would you be suprised? He has more drops than catches and he is a poor blocker.

Jerry Rice would have had dropped passes if a QB as innacurate as ours was throwing him the ball.

bisonmike2
10-19-2009, 04:27 AM
Jerry Rice would have had dropped passes if a QB as innacurate as ours was throwing him the ball.

http://www.inforum.com/media/full/jpg/2009/08/05/0806mertens.jpghttp://z.about.com/d/baseball/1/0/n/8/-/-/wakefieldknuckle.jpg

Coincidence? I think not!

4mcruenomore
10-19-2009, 04:29 AM
Anybody that is from Grand Forks that is playing for Bison Football spells trouble, imo.

BisonEngrGirl
10-19-2009, 04:59 AM
The band. The football team is droppin the ball more than the uncoordinated flag girls are dropping their huge flags.

TbonZach
10-19-2009, 05:01 AM
The band. The football team is droppin the ball more than the uncoordinated flag girls are dropping their huge flags.

Ba-zing!

Never trust the colour guard. Never trust the colour guard...

buffalobob
10-19-2009, 11:20 AM
I heard that Arndt, our left tackle, got really sick on Friday night and was sick til Saturday late in the day. He couldn't even keep water down. From what I understand they gave him an IV before the game because he wanted to play. If I remember right he did sub out some during the first half but played the whole second half from what I saw. Now that is toughness and bison pride!