Notorious
10-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Run, Run, Pass, Punt
Run, Run, Screen, Punt
Run, Run, Draw, Punt
Run, Run, INT
Run, Run, Screen, Punt

REPEAT.

Also, our National Recruiting sucks..., period.

It's a good thing we have teh BHS kid coming????????

CaBisonFan
10-18-2009, 04:52 PM
It's a great thing that Esley Thorton is coming to NDSU...but I would agree that we've had mixed results by looking to the south.

There are a few BHS players that should be in a Bison uniform soon, but they'll probably be playing for SDSU or UND and beating the snot out of us within the next few years.

But I don't think that we should ever recruit in smaller towns...heck...we've never gotten any good players from Velva, Oakes, Beach, Mayville, Watford City, and other towns like them...:smh:

But really...why would you want to mix the play selection up? I like knowing which play we're going to run. It makes me feel like I know 'something' about football. It used to bother me to watch the Bison when they were winning. Hurt my feelings.

gizmo
10-19-2009, 04:36 AM
We need a lot more than different play calling sequences one kid from Bismarck to turn this program around.

CaBisonFan
10-19-2009, 04:43 AM
We need a lot more than different play calling sequences one kid from Bismarck to turn this program around.

No doubt...but it has to start somewhere.

4mcruenomore
10-19-2009, 04:46 AM
I firmly believe, when we finally get some players that actually care, it will turn around. Meaning a QB. Team him up with Preston as far as a D player that cares right now, it will be awesome. Next, about the coach....We need some fire, and I know someone right now that could do it.

gizmo
10-19-2009, 05:16 AM
I firmly believe, when we finally get some players that actually care, it will turn around. Meaning a QB. Team him up with Preston as far as a D player that cares right now, it will be awesome. Next, about the coach....We need some fire, and I know someone right now that could do it.

IMO, there are too many players who are in over their heads with this program. This is obvious from the lack of depth we see at many key positions. In other words, they lack the physical tools and/or the fundamentals to play at the FCS level. Having a good leader or two may help with attitudes but it's not going to magically make the players become faster runners or better tacklers.

Kevin
10-19-2009, 05:55 AM
I would like to see double the amount of ND kids recruited and double the amount of midwesterns brought in as a whole. This whole concept that football teams are built on 4.4 instead of 4.5 40 times and a few inches in verticles is both disturbing and hilarious. You can't teach heart. This state has it.

NDSUstudent
10-19-2009, 06:32 AM
I would like to see double the amount of ND kids recruited and double the amount of midwesterns brought in as a whole. This whole concept that football teams are built on 4.4 instead of 4.5 40 times and a few inches in verticles is both disturbing and hilarious. You can't teach heart. This state has it.

Go out and find the best players and that is that. I don't care if they are from Hawaii, once they put on a uniform they are a Bison and that should be enough to make any kid want to play with pride and determination.

lakesbison
10-19-2009, 02:27 PM
yea, quit being freakin small time homers.

YES ND kids are good, but honestly 3-4 of them a year will play, period.

NDSU is a regional college now, (50-50% minn/nd). MN is a top 10 state in football recruiting nationally, get to minneapolis more often coaches, give me 10 starters from the Lake Conference's and Eden Prairie/Wayzata and LETS PLAY!!

HerdBot
10-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Run, Run, Pass, Punt
Run, Run, Screen, Punt
Run, Run, Draw, Punt
Run, Run, INT
Run, Run, Screen, Punt

REPEAT.

Also, our National Recruiting sucks..., period.

It's a good thing we have teh BHS kid coming????????

Every game has been like that. I think if we actually did playaction on 1st down the defense would crap themselves.

NDSU_grad
10-19-2009, 04:16 PM
yea, quit being freakin small time homers.

YES ND kids are good, but honestly 3-4 of them a year will play, period.

NDSU is a regional college now, (50-50% minn/nd). MN is a top 10 state in football recruiting nationally, get to minneapolis more often coaches, give me 10 starters from the Lake Conference's and Eden Prairie/Wayzata and LETS PLAY!!

:rofl:

This latest gem from Lakes should not go unnoticed.

lakesbison
10-19-2009, 04:25 PM
TEXAS
FLORIDA
CALIFORNIA
OHIO
Pennslyvania
Michigan

TOP 6 is undebatable.

Next 4-5?

Oklahoma
Kansas
Wisc
Minn
mississippi

Whats your suggestion?

A1pigskin
10-19-2009, 05:37 PM
A person can pretty much call the play before it's played.

Bisonguy
10-19-2009, 05:49 PM
TEXAS
FLORIDA
CALIFORNIA
OHIO
Pennslyvania
Michigan

TOP 6 is undebatable.

Next 4-5?

Oklahoma
Kansas
Wisc
Minn
mississippi

Whats your suggestion?

Off the top of my head, I'd put Georgia, Alabama, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Lousiana, New Jersey, New York, Kentucky, Tennessee, and probably Colorado and Washington ahead of Minnesota.

Seriously, Minnesota's probably around 25-30 as far as prep football. Too many athletes taken up by hockey.

JacksFan06
10-19-2009, 06:03 PM
The biggest problem I've seen with NDSU is the lack of turnovers/sacks by the defense. The offense is good enough to be a playoff team even without a consistent passing attack. I wouldn't say the Bison have a good passing game, but they have the ability to hit a few big passing plays per game which would be enough.

Currently NDSU is last in the Missouri Valley with 8 sacks in 7 games and only 2 INT's in 8 games.

SDSU LB Derick Domino had 2 INT in the first half against NDSU and the whole Bison D only has 2 INT's in 8 games.

HandoEX
10-19-2009, 06:11 PM
The biggest problem I've seen with NDSU is the lack of turnovers/sacks by the defense. The offense is good enough to be a playoff team even without a consistent passing attack. I wouldn't say the Bison have a good passing game, but they have the ability to hit a few big passing plays per game which would be enough.

Currently NDSU is last in the Missouri Valley with 8 sacks in 7 games and only 2 INT's in 8 games.

SDSU LB Derick Domino had 2 INT in the first half against NDSU and the whole Bison D only has 2 INT's in 8 games.

I agree 100%. Our offense is light years ahead of our defense, even with Mertens in. Forcing turnovers has really been a huge problem for our D for a few years now. However, the offense still sucks and 18 is one of the major problems.

gizmo
10-20-2009, 01:52 AM
A few days ago we got drubbed by a bunch of South Dakotans for the third year in a row. SDSU gets pretty good mileage out of those home grown boys. UNI creamed us with mostly Iowa kids. In fact, most of the teams that beat us use mostly home growns while we lose with a few ND-ers and a bunch of overrated out-of-staters.

I realize that we need to go out and recruit the best players we can find but it appears that we haven't made much of an effort to get the best ND kids on our roster. Where would we have been through the years without North Dakotans like Steffes, Roehl, the Kittlesons and on and on. Unfortunately, there have been literally dozens of other quality ND kids that we didn't get but should have because, after all, NDSU is the premier football program in the state...or at least it used to be.:mad:

NDSUstudent
10-20-2009, 02:03 AM
A few days ago we got drubbed by a bunch of South Dakotans for the third year in a row. SDSU gets pretty good mileage out of those home grown boys. UNI creamed us with mostly Iowa kids. In fact, most of the teams that beat us use mostly home growns while we lose with a few ND-ers and a bunch of overrated out-of-staters.

I realize that we need to go out and recruit the best players we can find but it appears that we haven't made much of an effort to get the best ND kids on our roster. Where would we have been through the years without North Dakotans like Steffes, Roehl, the Kittlesons and on and on. Unfortunately, there have been literally dozens of other quality ND kids that we didn't get but should have because, after all, NDSU is the premier football program in the state...or at least it used to be.:mad:

Other than Dressler(that is going back a ways) and Quavle(who is playing at Nebraska) who from ND have we missed out on?

RRVBISON
10-20-2009, 02:49 AM
[QUOTE=Kevin;319467]I would like to see double the amount of ND kids recruited and double the amount of midwesterns brought in as a whole. This whole concept that football teams are built on 4.4 instead of 4.5 40 times and a few inches in verticles is both disturbing and hilarious. You can't teach heart. This state has it.[/QU

If you look at last years recruiting class I think it was a clean sweep for NDSU when talking about landing in state talent. I also think we are on our way to do the same this year. We are fine with the way we are recruiting ND. I am a firm believer in outstate recruiting. We can't be closed minded. I think we need to pay closer attention to the character of the recruit. The off the field problems haven't helped this year.

tjbison
10-20-2009, 02:52 AM
I for one have no problem with the MN, WI, MI, IL, IA, SD, ND recruits, maybe need to let the TX, CA, FL kids rest for awhile IDK maybe not, but haven't really had any gamechangers from there yet?

borderbison
10-20-2009, 02:58 AM
It's a great thing that Esley Thorton is coming to NDSU...but I would agree that we've had mixed results by looking to the south.

There are a few BHS players that should be in a Bison uniform soon, but they'll probably be playing for SDSU or UND and beating the snot out of us within the next few years.

But I don't think that we should ever recruit in smaller towns...heck...we've never gotten any good players from Velva, Oakes, Beach, Mayville, Watford City, and other towns like them...:smh:

But really...why would you want to mix the play selection up? I like knowing which play we're going to run. It makes me feel like I know 'something' about football. It used to bother me to watch the Bison when they were winning. Hurt my feelings.

Although a majority of our talent certainly doesn't come from Class B schools in ND, Phil Hansen came from Oakes, Rob Hunt was from Cavalier, Vandal is from Rolla and the Belquists were from New Rockford. I know Belquist had some key drops last year in Wyoming and against Western Ill but he was good, not Heckendorf good but better than most we have on this years team. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we need to recruit Class B harder but there are athletes out there.