PDA

View Full Version : Rebooting the football program??

TheBisonator
10-18-2009, 02:35 AM
I asked this question in another thread, but I thought it would go better here. What do you think are the chances of the entire football program getting esentially "rebooted" after this year?? I mean, all new coaches, staff, recruiting people, maybe establishing new occupations, etc. I am not advocating that at this point, but I'm wondering if a possible 1-10 season (the Sycamores scored 21 points today on the Redbirds while we scored 24, so don't count your chickens) will result in some kind of complete tear-down and rebuild like what happened with the basketball program in 2004. Well, look where they got with that approach. They got to The Dance. What are your thoughts about this as we approach the offseason??

TheBisonator
10-18-2009, 03:20 AM
Bumping this up, cause I'm interested in some thoughts from others...

Bisonguy
10-18-2009, 03:22 AM
Can't reboot the players like BB. A new head coach would reboot the program. The coaching staff would be most likely completely, or nearly completely replaced.

gizmo
10-19-2009, 05:38 AM
I don't like the "reboot" idea. While this year's team is certainly sub-par in several areas, it is not that far from being a winner. Let's face it, with a couple of breaks and different calls by the refs and we could be at least a .500 team. Add in a couple of successful kicks and we'd be in the playoff hunt for sure. We have also had our share of injuries. There is such a thing as luck and this appears to be our bad luck year. Lord knows that the ball has bounced our way plenty in the past. This is not the time to panic but rather it's the time to regroup and rebuild rather than reboot.

Tatanka
10-19-2009, 01:19 PM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc70/Z1807/41.jpg

HerdBot
10-19-2009, 01:59 PM
I asked this question in another thread, but I thought it would go better here. What do you think are the chances of the entire football program getting esentially "rebooted" after this year?? I mean, all new coaches, staff, recruiting people, maybe establishing new occupations, etc. I am not advocating that at this point, but I'm wondering if a possible 1-10 season (the Sycamores scored 21 points today on the Redbirds while we scored 24, so don't count your chickens) will result in some kind of complete tear-down and rebuild like what happened with the basketball program in 2004. Well, look where they got with that approach. They got to The Dance. What are your thoughts about this as we approach the offseason??

I think it's too early to start over from scratch. I think we have a solid class of recruits coming in so we should start seeing the benefits. If we can find anything positive about this year, the young players are getting a lot of playing time. We're young. Check out the defensive starters.

DE's - Boyer & Johnson - Sophmore
LB - Jemison - true freshamn
LB - Evans - Sophmore
SS - Eaves = Sophmore
CB - Pierre - Freshman

6 out of the 11 defensive starters are either Freshman or Sophmores. That's a lot of inexperience! Football is a system sport so playing young players has a more dramatic effect. It takes years to learn a system. Why set these players back again?

DLBison
10-19-2009, 02:53 PM
I think you hold off on pulling the plug on Bohl for at least one more year. If the same results are being achieved in the middle of the 2010 season then I say we really do have a problem. Things definately are not pretty right now but I do believe he gets one more year to show us what kind of work can be done to turn the ship around.

bisonmike2
10-19-2009, 03:16 PM
I think it's too early to start over from scratch. I think we have a solid class of recruits coming in so we should start seeing the benefits. If we can find anything positive about this year, the young players are getting a lot of playing time. We're young. Check out the defensive starters.

DE's - Boyer & Johnson - Sophmore
LB - Jemison - true freshamn
LB - Evans - Sophmore
SS - Eaves = Sophmore
CB - Pierre - Freshman

6 out of the 11 defensive starters are either Freshman or Sophmores. That's a lot of inexperience! Football is a system sport so playing young players has a more dramatic effect. It takes years to learn a system. Why set these players back again?

I agree. We don't need a total reboot, we just need better players in some positions. QB mostly. Think about it. If we got better play out of the QB position we win against SHSU and Illinois St. We have a shot at beating SIU and UNI and the SDSU game is completely different if we don't give them a pick 6 and then miss a wide open WR streaking down the sideline. Those are much different resulst with a better player at just 1 position. If we get a juco or 2 on the defensive side and the coaches pull their head out of their ass when making some play calls this can be turned around pretty quickly. Question is do we trust Bohl and this coaching staff to do that?

HerdBot
10-19-2009, 03:49 PM
I agree. We don't need a total reboot, we just need better players in some positions. QB mostly. Think about it. If we got better play out of the QB position we win against SHSU and Illinois St. We have a shot at beating SIU and UNI and the SDSU game is completely different if we don't give them a pick 6 and then miss a wide open WR streaking down the sideline. Those are much different resulst with a better player at just 1 position. If we get a juco or 2 on the defensive side and the coaches pull their head out of their ass when making some play calls this can be turned around pretty quickly. Question is do we trust Bohl and this coaching staff to do that?

I like your tag line. That could be part of the marketing plan for next year. New QB...will you be there?

bisonmike2
10-19-2009, 04:16 PM
I like your tag line. That could be part of the marketing plan for next year. New QB...will you be there?

I like that. We should come up with marketing slogans for next year. I'm going to create the thread in the smack forum because I'm pretty sure that's we're it'll head.

onbison09
10-19-2009, 04:23 PM
I think you hold off on pulling the plug on Bohl for at least one more year. If the same results are being achieved in the middle of the 2010 season then I say we really do have a problem. Things definately are not pretty right now but I do believe he gets one more year to show us what kind of work can be done to turn the ship around.

Agreed. ;)

bisonmike2
10-19-2009, 04:30 PM

I'm going to tentatively agree to that for several reasons. 1.) we can't fire him even if we wanted to. No way the school can swallow the remain 3 years of his contract. 2.) I want to see what this team looks like with a different QB. 3.) I want to see Breske work with this defense for one more year. I'm assuming that if Bohl we're canned Breske would also go.

BlueBisonRock
10-19-2009, 05:15 PM

Valid point regarding SIU, UNI, and SDSU. However better Defensive play was required during the SHSU and Illinois State games. When the defense plays loose coverage, they get burned. When they play agressive (tight on the receivers), they perform much better. ISU continually exploited the loose coverage.

A1pigskin
10-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Rebooting isn't the answer. Better recruiting and more depth will be a good start.