PDA

View Full Version : UND Struggling vs. NAIA Sioux Falls

NWNDBison
10-17-2009, 07:10 PM
UND has to be stunned to be down 21-3 midway through the 2nd quarter to NAIA powerhouse University of Sioux Falls. USF playing like a contending FCS team.

They are defending national champions in NAIA expecting to move up to D2 and finding NO competition at the NAIA level.

They should do very well against top level D2 competition.

Heck, they're doin' pretty good against a not-to-shabby FCS Div. I team.

NWNDBison
10-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Sioux manage only 2 field goals with 4:00 min. left in the 2nd. 21-6 Sioux Falls.

NWNDBison
10-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Sioux Falls dominating every phase of the game at halftime leading the Sioux 21-6.

That's OK, Sioux fans, you're only a few hours away from manhandling the Gophers again in hockey for a clean weekend sweep.

Bisonguy
10-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Watching the game as much as my daughter allows, but did they downsize their band?

Looked like less than 100.

Facts
10-17-2009, 07:36 PM
UND has to be stunned to be down 21-3 midway through the 2nd quarter to NAIA powerhouse University of Sioux Falls. USF playing like a contending FCS team.

They are defending national champions in NAIA expecting to move up to D2 and finding NO competition at the NAIA level.

I'd love to read how you justify that statement.

stevdock
10-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Well as bad as our season has been, this shows it could be ALOT worse.

tjbison
10-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Well as bad as our season has been, this shows it could be ALOT worse.

We aren't the worst team in the Dakotas and today just proved that

Shawn-O
10-17-2009, 10:30 PM
We aren't the worst team in the Dakotas and today just proved that

You're right. The heat and and attention on that program just got turned up times ten. NDSU would kill us by three touchdowns minimum this year, IMO. We just noticed.

tjbison
10-17-2009, 10:33 PM
You're right. The heat and and attention on that program just got turned up times ten. NDSU would kill us by three touchdowns minimum this year, IMO. We just noticed.

I noticed something Shawn watching the game, it might have been tv but you players seemed awfully small in realation to NDSU and SDSU?

Hambone
10-17-2009, 10:38 PM
I noticed something Shawn watching the game, it might have been tv but you players seemed awfully small in realation to NDSU and SDSU?

The starting O-line especially is very undersized. There is a little beef on the D-Line, but they're kinda small as well.

tjbison
10-18-2009, 09:36 AM
The starting O-line especially is very undersized. There is a little beef on the D-Line, but they're kinda small as well.

Not a slap at UND but they have some recruiting to do as well as NDSU and we appear bigger, faster and stronger but still cannot compete:banghead: :banghead: this year

Grizzled
10-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Not a slap at UND but they have some recruiting to do as well as NDSU and we appear bigger, faster and stronger but still cannot compete:banghead: :banghead: this year

Its always seemed that way to me but yet they always seem to compete with us. I always give major props to our strength staff for the job they do. UND does have their work cut out for them and some building to do though.

siouxdgj
10-19-2009, 03:55 PM

Not certain whether the above is tongue-in-cheek or not. However, we got manhandled Saturday, but it was by a defending national champion eleven, whatever that might mean. On the other hand, Texas Tech just rolled over what we thought to be a fairly good Nebraska team 31-10. That should count somewhat in our favor, considering Tech played a very good game against the Texas Longhorns in a losing effort earlier.

Fifty years or so from now chances are people will only look back and see what the season won-lost record was. Every season has its ups and downs. Bison had a lot of positives despite their loss at South Dakota State.

met1990
10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
I caught the last couple minutes of Hammer's show on Tuesday. He read an e-mail from a listener. The guy made the point that, during their respective transitions, NDSU got more crap from the media for scheduling an NAIA school than UND is getting for losing to an NAIA school. Now I have no doubt the Bison would struggle against USF, but I thought it was an interesting point.

tcbison
10-21-2009, 04:47 PM
I caught the last couple minutes of Hammer's show on Tuesday. He read an e-mail from a listener. The guy made the point that, during their respective transitions, NDSU got more crap from the media for scheduling an NAIA school than UND is getting for losing to an NAIA school. Now I have no doubt the Bison would struggle against USF, but I thought it was an interesting point.

Very good point. Wasn't one of the reasons NDSU had to schedule an NAIA team was because UND sat on the 4 year home and home contract when it was believed to have been agreed to?

Bisonguy
10-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Very good point. Wasn't one of the reasons NDSU had to schedule an NAIA team was because UND sat on the 4 year home and home contract when it was believed to have been agreed to?

That is correct. NDSU only had an NAIA opponent the first year of transition

bisonhusker
10-21-2009, 08:51 PM
What are Sioux fans going to think of when they play USF again in two years? I mean, what a brutal job of scheduling. Why play NAIA schools? They play another one this year still. I would be pissed to be a fan. Probably an old AD that did it, so it isn't really their current guys fault.

NDSU1980
10-22-2009, 02:33 AM
What are Sioux fans going to think of when they play USF again in two years? I mean, what a brutal job of scheduling. Why play NAIA schools? They play another one this year still. I would be pissed to be a fan. Probably an old AD that did it, so it isn't really their current guys fault.

I am willing to bet that und buys out that game just so they don't have to play USF again. That has to be the height of embarrassment to lose to an NAIA.

ndsubison1
10-22-2009, 05:34 AM

do they have to go to Sioux Falls? LOL that would be priceless

sambini
10-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Did USF get a guarantee to play at UND?

bincitysioux
10-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Did USF get a guarantee to play at UND?

We paid $60,000 for that ass-whoopin'.............:paperbag:

siouxdgj
10-29-2009, 10:06 PM
If Bison fans are really concerned about UND playing down to NAIA schools, why not take a look at the 2009 NDSU baseball schedule. There you will find Dakota Wesleyan 18, NDSU 14. I believe Dakota Wesleyan is an NAIA school the last time I looked.

Tatanka
10-29-2009, 10:24 PM
If Bison fans are really concerned about UND playing down to NAIA schools, why not take a look at the 2009 NDSU baseball schedule. There you will find Dakota Wesleyan 18, NDSU 14. I believe Dakota Wesleyan is an NAIA school the last time I looked.

I can very much appreciate the effort it took to dig up that old skeleton*. :nod: And you're correct, unfortunately.

*Not to be confused with the old skeleton dug up near the president's house at UND (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11055), which may or may not have contributed to on-campus enrollment count.

tony
10-29-2009, 10:28 PM

Heh, how long did it take you to find that one? :)

Besides, Bison were up huge (like 8 or 9 runs, iirc) and pretty much put all the backups in - that's something you do in games that really don't count for anything (whereas in football, every game counts).

NDSUstudent
10-29-2009, 10:33 PM

You sure you want to play this game? Oh look....UND 2008-2009 men's basketball results...

http://www.fightingsioux.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=58565&SPID=6388&DB_OEM_ID=13500&Q_SEASON=2008

Seems to be a trend going on up in GF with NAIA schools... You guys playing at the right level?

Tatanka
10-29-2009, 10:36 PM
You sure you want to play this game? Oh look....UND 2008-2009 men's basketball results...

http://www.fightingsioux.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=58565&SPID=6388&DB_OEM_ID=13500&Q_SEASON=2008

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/scottoberg/oh_snap.gif

siouxdgj
10-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Heh, how long did it take you to find that one? :)

Besides, Bison were up huge (like 8 or 9 runs, iirc) and pretty much put all the backups in - that's something you do in games that really don't count for anything (whereas in football, every game counts).

I merely bring it up as a rebuttal to the UND-Sioux Falls football complainers. Yes, I realize the same could be said for Sioux men's basketball. As to how long it took me, as long as less than five minutes. I merely checked out Bison baseball results for the year 2009 (I also note Bison had game scheduled with NAIA Mayville State as well but the game was cancelled, apparently due to inclement weather). I further double-checked the score at the Dakota Wesleyan athletic site, and voila. Please don't take this as a criticism of the Bison in general. I only meant to report that two can play at this game, and the UND isn't the only Division I school in North Dakota that plays down to NAIA schools.

Tatanka
10-29-2009, 11:26 PM
I merely bring it up as a rebuttal to the UND-Sioux Falls football complainers. Yes, I realize the same could be said for Sioux men's basketball. As to how long it took me, as long as less than five minutes. I merely checked out Bison baseball results for the year 2009 (I also note Bison had game scheduled with NAIA Mayville State as well but the game was cancelled, apparently due to inclement weather). I further double-checked the score at the Dakota Wesleyan athletic site, and voila. Please don't take this as a criticism of the Bison in general. I only meant to report that two can play at this game, and the UND isn't the only Division I school in North Dakota that plays down to NAIA schools.

Dude, I was just having fun with you. Don't take it too personally--your point was made and well taken. Having said that, it's GAME ON. :)

ndsubison1
10-30-2009, 04:26 AM
i heard the und ping pong team lost to southwest moorhead community college

JSUBison
10-30-2009, 07:33 AM

Must be a junior Sioux member. Let's review the 3 D's of sioux fans:

Deny — "Sioux Falls is a NAIA powerhouse" "Defending champs"
Deflect — Bison baseball sucks
Delay — Simply let the thread die

While you have deflected this issue, you dug it up from halfway down the page. Kind of defeats the DELAY purpose, as deflection was not needed in this case. But on the other hand, you brought up something other than hockey for the deflection, which I don't think any of us were expecting. Kudos for changing and adapting. :bow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C9CH3q9PLI

RedRiver
10-30-2009, 01:17 PM

Yes, UND is the only DI school in North Dakota that plays down to NAIA schools in Football. I don't know why you bring up who the Bison played in baseball, we are talking about football here.

spelunker64
10-30-2009, 01:45 PM
At least they have hockey

Shawn-O
10-30-2009, 02:44 PM
At least they have hockey

And you don't have hockey! :D

NDSUFan_Sav
10-30-2009, 03:09 PM

we got the force and possibly getting msum d1 hockey....oh wait :D

cbline
10-30-2009, 03:22 PM

And thank God for that!!!!

Shawn-O
10-30-2009, 04:00 PM

Yeah that national TV deal is a real bummer (Includes football and basketball). ;) Well, at least you have teh microwaves! :p

NDSU1980
10-30-2009, 04:18 PM

Yea, that UND womens hockey team is a real money maker. :D

Tatanka
10-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Obviously, we have awakened teh Shawn-O. :hide:

bincitysioux
10-30-2009, 04:26 PM
When does Rasslin' season start anyways?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/Yurietti/The_Ultimate_Warrior.jpg

Tatanka
10-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Holy schneikies! a BinCitySioux sighting as well!!! :nod:

Tatanka
10-30-2009, 04:34 PM

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/Yurietti/The_Ultimate_Warrior.jpg

Right about the same time as men's swimming at UND. I hear they have a new spokesmodel!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/hasselhoff-1.gif

Shawn-O
10-30-2009, 04:37 PM

I heard they are stoking up a women's program to alleviate Title IX concerns? Honestly, the economics would be a whole lot better than women's hockey. :smh:

NDSU1980
10-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Holy schneikies! a BinCitySioux sighting as well!!! :nod:

They are probably both too embarrassed to read their own board after losing to an NAIA and considering the pounding Cal Poly is going to deliver at the tin hut tomorrow.

Hambone
10-30-2009, 06:41 PM
They are probably both too embarrassed to read their own board after losing to an NAIA and considering the pounding Cal Poly is going to deliver at the tin hut tomorrow.
Uh oh - whenever someone from the Bison faithful throws out the "they'll get pounded against X" good things tend to happen! Thanks 80 for now giving me some hope for tomorrow! :D

Shawn-O
10-30-2009, 06:53 PM
It's amazing how every thread where und fans post their comments, ends the same way :D

Example:

1. Point---UND should be embarassed about losing a FOOTBALL game to an NAIA school
2. UND response- well NDSU lost to an NAIA school in baseball (HUH??)
3. Point---OK, but we are talking about FOOTBALL
4. UND response - well we have hockey

not sure why und fans feel the need to constantly come on this board and tell us "they have hockey" all the time. :confused:

Did you even read the thread? NDSU fan spelunker opened up the hockey topic?

DORMIE
10-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Give them credit for their success in hockey even though half of the teams are DII and DIII. Most people outside their blinders could give a shit. Down the road in DI they had better be looking to beef up their Volleyball, Soccer, Softball and Tracak and Field.

Shawn-O
10-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Give them credit for their success in hockey even though half of the teams are DII and DIII. Most people outside their blinders could give a shit. Down the road in DI they had better be looking to beef up their Volleyball, Soccer, Softball and Tracak and Field.

Fox certainly gave a shit. Cal-Poly may indeed kick our ass tomorrow. At least our fans and alumni nationwide have the option to watch if they so choose. Enjoy the track and field and teh microwaves.

homer
10-30-2009, 07:46 PM

I would say hockey makes a hell of a lot more money for UND than your volleyball, soccer, softball, and track and field do combined. I also don't know many people without blinders on that could give a shit about any of those sports. They are all nitch sports and I don't see Fox running to Fargo to sign a nice national TV contract to televise any of those sports.

Tatanka
10-30-2009, 07:47 PM
I would say hockey makes a hell of a lot more money for UND than your volleyball, soccer, softball, and track and field do combined. I also don't know many people without blinders on that could give a shit about any of those sports. They are all nitch sports and I don't see Fox running to Fargo to sign a nice national TV contract to televise any of those sports.

Thank you for your interest in NDSU and Bison Athletics!

Shawn-O
10-30-2009, 07:52 PM

You're welcome! :) Thank you folks for your interest as well! ;) :D

Shawn-O
10-30-2009, 07:54 PM

He won't be back to argue, Homer. We've been "drive-by DORMIED" again.

NorthernBison
10-30-2009, 08:05 PM
I was wondering what a nitch was so I perused my urban dictionary. I'm pretty sure that homer wasn't referring to one of those in his post.

Now, niche is a totally different concept that I think he was getting at.

The definition of nitch made me giggle. Talk about "hostile and abusive".

NorthernBison
10-30-2009, 08:40 PM
I don't think Shawn O fell into anything. He was just having some fun.

Shawn-O
10-30-2009, 09:12 PM
"When does Rasslin' start?"

"Teh Microwaves"

I mean this is good stuff, would be worth the price of gold here. Little too low brow for SiouxSports.com though. I might float the Microwaves out there and see if it catches on.

johnson
10-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Fox certainly gave a shit. Cal-Poly may indeed kick our ass tomorrow. At least our fans and alumni nationwide have the option to watch if they so choose. Enjoy the track and field and teh microwaves.

I thought in the article about the TV contract that most games are only going to be aired in the Midwest market. Didn't it say something about either the Midwest only or the Midwest and Atlantic markets depending on the game? I'll have to read it again.

Shawn-O
10-30-2009, 09:23 PM
I thought in the article about the TV contract that most games are only going to be aired in the Midwest market. Didn't it say something about either the Midwest only or the Midwest and Atlantic markets depending on the game? I'll have to read it again.

The major cable providers carry all three FCS channels, anyone with DirecTV sports package has all the FCS live exclusive feeds or can get the games from one of the regional sports channels.

http://www.zahracooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/microwave-oven-old-school1.jpg

johnson
10-30-2009, 09:32 PM
The major cable providers carry all three FCS channels, anyone with DirecTV sports package has all the FCS live exclusive feeds or can get the games from one of the regional sports channels.

So you have to buy the sports package or hope that is being shown in your regional market.

Shawn-O
10-30-2009, 09:37 PM
So you have to buy the sports package or hope that is being shown in your regional market.

Yes. I know with Comcast you need to upgrade to a sports package. My brother-in-law is a DirecTV subscriber and he recieved the USD@UND feed on a $40/mo subscription, no sports pack.

Shawn-O
10-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Look at them yo-yos, that's the way they do it...play there football at the FFD....

homer
10-30-2009, 11:28 PM

Just contributing to another Sioux forum on a Bison fan board. Glad I could help. Thanks for your interest as well.:D

spelunker64
10-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Did you even read the thread? NDSU fan spelunker opened up the hockey topic?

Just saw the latest Hitler video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rVEfWMZMC0

Hambone
10-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Just saw the latest Hitler video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rVEfWMZMC0

Got a good laugh out of that one :D

aces1180
10-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Here's an actual quote from Wayne Nelson's UND blog...

"Attendance today: 6,711, the smallest regular-season crowd in Alerus history."

http://www.areavoices.com/waynenelson/?blog=63024

Poly is a top 20 team...That's just sad...I guess the Alerus is going deeper in the red. ;)

Hambone
10-31-2009, 11:49 PM

Poly is a top 20 team...That's just sad...I guess the Alerus is going deeper in the red. ;)

Very sad indeed. Hopefully the Sioux's performance today will change peoples minds, as they are now up 31-17 with 3:38 left in the game. Is this the same team that lost to Sioux Falls??

BlueBisonRock
10-31-2009, 11:52 PM
Very sad indeed. Hopefully the Sioux's performance today will change peoples minds, as they are now up 31-17 with 3:38 left in the game. Is this the same team that lost to Sioux Falls??

Your arguement for the Sue performance is accepted. The point for the lack of fan support remains (unfortunately).

Hambone
10-31-2009, 11:57 PM
Your arguement for the Sue performance is accepted. The point for the lack of fan support remains (unfortunately).

Agreed. Another unfortunate thing is the only remaining home game is an NAIA squad, so we may not see better crowd for that game either.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-31-2009, 11:58 PM

good call on the Poly pounding :D

Hambone
11-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Uh oh - whenever someone from the Bison faithful throws out the "they'll get pounded against X" good things tend to happen! Thanks 80 for now giving me some hope for tomorrow! :D

Looks like I somewhat called it....:nod:

NDSU1980
11-01-2009, 12:45 AM
good call on the Poly pounding :D

They owe me one for that. I think the least they could do is take Mertens off our hands.

Tatanka
11-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Looks like I somewhat called it....:nod:

Dude. Don't throw your shoulder out patting yourself on the back. :D

DIBISON
11-01-2009, 04:28 AM

Much more than sad...

backpages
11-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Didn't Cal Poly defeat SDSU which is currently on top of the MVFC? I wouldn't be knocking Sioux Falls!