PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Being Upset

CaBisonFan
10-13-2009, 02:53 AM
I am growing weary of the Bison being upset by lesser teams...teams that have no business being on the same field with us. I long for the days when 'everyone' in the Bison camp expected to win every game. Losing to SIU was an upset. Iowa State...upset. Same against Illinois State. Falling over ourselves at Sam Houston State should have been viewed as a huge embarrassment. UNI was a good team...but they upset us. I saw a 'good' quarterback, a good running back, and a few 'good' defensive players. Good...as in above average. We were badly upset in Brookings two years ago. We were upset by an inferior team last year at home against the Wabbits.

In Bison football, a loss is an upset. As soon as someone in charge decides to tell the players that, we may return to life as it should be at North Dakota State. A loss should be a huge surprise to the players and the coaches. Don't point fingers...but make changes. Don't personalize it. Don't allow the public to get involved in a debate about who should be playing. Make the damn changes before we even think of it. I look forward to 'someone...anyone'...to tell the players that they are better than every team they play. If someone...anyone...won't communicate this from the very first minute of fall practice...then we need to find someone who will. If this staff won't deliver the proper messages...then make room for someone who gets 'it.'

If this article upsets anyone...that's just fine. It won't upset me. If you think that I'm a total kool-aid drinker, then you really don't know me. I'm a Bison football fan.

pantherhawkrolling
10-13-2009, 03:16 AM
The problem with that is that other teams also have their tradition and their dreams. When you get to this level, simply asserting that a given loss is an upset doesn't make it so. Losing to the #3 team in the country while 1-4 is not an upset. An FCS team losing to a Big 12 team on the road is not an upset. But you seem to be meaning the word 'upset' differently than the rest of the English-speaking world, at least it seems that way to me.

Regarding this last game, I think it's too early to say how good or bad UNI is. That should be determined on the field. I don't think a 15 point win at NDSU means UNI is no more than a good team. Maybe they had a bad day, did you ever think of that? At any rate, there is little doubt in my mind that if you saw the '93 Panthers play with Kurt Warner at the helm, you would say something like, "they have a merely good quarback," and then say something to attack the character of the team. And this would be after NDSU lost by like three touchdowns.

ndsubison1
10-13-2009, 03:18 AM
losing to uni, siu, and iowa state were far from upsets... us beating UNI, would've been an upset

CaBisonFan
10-13-2009, 03:21 AM
The problem with that is that other teams also have their tradition and their dreams. When you get to this level, simply asserting that a given loss is an upset doesn't make it so. Losing to the #3 team in the country while 1-4 is not an upset. An FCS team losing to a Big 12 team on the road is not an upset. But you seem to be meaning the word 'upset' differently than the rest of the English-speaking world, at least it seems that way to me.

Regarding this last game, I think it's too early to say how good or bad UNI is. That should be determined on the field. I don't think a 15 point win at NDSU means UNI is no more than a good team. Maybe they had a bad day, did you ever think of that? At any rate, there is little doubt in my mind that if you saw the '93 Panthers play with Kurt Warner at the helm, you would say something like, "they have a merely good quarback," and then say something to attack the character of the team. And this would be after NDSU lost by like three touchdowns.

What other teams and their fans think is of little consequence to me. I'm talking about Bison football. I don't write this stuff on other boards...and I don't care what is written on other boards.

tjbison
10-13-2009, 03:21 AM

One problem with this entire post!!

LOGIC

;)

CaBisonFan
10-13-2009, 03:24 AM
losing to uni, siu, and iowa state were far from upsets... us beating UNI, would've been an upset

I didn't see anything about UNI, SIU, or ISU that should have intimidated us. We've become good at believing that we have a 'chance' to beat someone.

pantherhawkrolling
10-13-2009, 03:26 AM
What other teams and their fans think is of little consequence to me. I'm talking about Bison football. I don't write this stuff on other boards...and I don't care what is written on other boards.

All right, 'nuff said. I won't waste your time with the objective point of view, or that nonsense others call 'reality.' If I had known this was such an upset, though, I would have drank more on Saturday. Now it's a work day.:mad:

tjbison
10-13-2009, 03:27 AM
I didn't see anything about UNI, SIU, or ISU that should have intimidated us. We've become good at believing that we have a 'chance' to beat someone.

CA, we played right with both UNI and SIU, just come down to petty mistakes and missing fundamentals. We'll be back well be back, anybody that thinks this year will be the norm is badly mistaken. and as of right now It might be a blessing open some eyes and get some blood pumping!;)

CaBisonFan
10-13-2009, 03:29 AM
The problem with that is that other teams also have their tradition and their dreams.

Your viewpoint is like painted numbers on a wall. They can be painted over.

CaBisonFan
10-13-2009, 03:30 AM
CA, we played right with both UNI and SIU, just come down to petty mistakes and missing fundamentals. We'll be back well be back, anybody that thinks this year will be the norm is badly mistaken. and as of right now It might be a blessing open some eyes and get some blood pumping!;)

Therein lies the problem. Playing 'right with' anyone and making petty mistakes and missing fundamentals is fundamental to a losing attitude...not yours tj...but on the field.

HerdBot
10-13-2009, 03:44 AM
I am growing weary of the Bison being upset by lesser teams...teams that have no business being on the same field with us. I long for the days when 'everyone' in the Bison camp expected to win every game. Losing to SIU was an upset. Iowa State...upset. Same against Illinois State. Falling over ourselves at Sam Houston State was an upset. It should have been viewed as a huge embarrassment. UNI was a good team...but they upset us. I don't care what they were ranked. I saw nothing dominant about them. I saw a 'good' quarterback, a good running back, and a few 'good' defensive players. Good...as in above average. We were badly upset in Brookings two years ago. We were upset by an inferior team last year at home against the Wabbits.

In Bison football, a loss is an upset. As soon as someone in charge decides to tell the players that, we may return to life as it should be at North Dakota State. A loss should be a huge surprise to the players and the coaches. Don't point fingers...but make changes. Don't personalize it. Don't allow the public to get involved in a debate about who should be playing. Make the damn changes before we even think of it. Geez

Every year that UND beat us in the 90s and a little beyond...it was an upset. Losing to WIU at the FD last year was a depressing upset. (Hello Bison...there's a game going on.) Losing to Minnesota in 2006 was a damn upset. They almost upset us in 2007, despite our total domination physically. As a reminder, we gained more yards in 07 than the Gophers did in both games combined.

I look forward to 'someone...anyone'...to tell the players that they are better than every team they play. Not 'as good as...not able to compete with...not a whale of a game.' That is such BS. We were intimidated by the greatness of UNI. Now that...is sad. It wasn't a physical deficiency. It's in the head...the attitude.

If someone...anyone...won't communicate this from the very first minute of fall practice...then we need to find someone who will. I don't care who it is. This staff...another...whatever. This isn't personal. I don't want anyone fired. I could care less who's coaching the team. But if this staff won't deliver the proper messages...then make room for someone who gets 'it.'

I long for Bison football...you know...the kind of football where a tough loss is viewed as an...UP...SET. And when that happens once every year or two, I long for someone within the program to be damned up-set. 'Whale of a game.' Geez-uz

If this article upsets anyone...that's just fine. It won't upset me. If you think that I'm a total kool-aid drinker, then you really don't know me. I'm a Bison football fan...a lifer. Guys like Mudra, Erhardt, Wacker, Morton, Solomonson, and Rocky spoiled me. They told the guys that they were better than any team they played, and had no business losing. If a player didn't show fire...they didn't play. If a player couldn't lead...they were taught the proper lesson...quickly. Those guys didn't leave any player out to dry by the media and people like us. The last time I checked we played 'college' football.

Yes, we have a great tradition and we need to be proud of that, but we also need to get used to the fact that our conference even has a better tradition and we're going to need to do more to be good. We don't need to fear the competition but we certainly need to respect the competition. Most people here don't understand just how good the conferene is.

TRADITION
Youngstown has won 4 D1 National Championships. SIU has won a D1 National Championship. UNI is in the mix every year. We have yet to make the playoffs.

UNI has players like Kurt Warner in the NFL. Brandon Jacobs, the starting RB for the Superbowl Champion Giants starting runningback went to SIU.

FACILITIES
Youngstown has a phenomenal stadium with capacity of 21,000. SIU is getting a new stadium and averaged 12,000 per game in the old place. The UNI Dome aint too shabby. In fact, D2 as a league averaged around 3K game. The FCS avearged almost 10K per game, so the road games are tougher.
The smallest stadium in the MVC is 13,000.
There were only 3 teams that had stadiums of 10,000 in the NCC and they were rarely full.

ENROLLMENT
Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Illinois 1869 Public 23,600
Missouri State University Springfield, Missouri 1905 Public 22,785
Illinois State University Normal, Illinois 1857 Public 20,757
North Dakota State University Fargo, North Dakota 1890 Public 14,186
University of Northern Iowa Cedar Falls, Iowa 1876 Public 14,070
Western Illinois University Macomb, Illinois 1899 Public 13,600
Youngstown State University Youngstown, Ohio 1908 Public 13,183
South Dakota State University Brookings, South Dakota 1881 Public 12,376
Indiana State University Terre Haute, Indiana 1865 Public 10,760

The largest school in the NCC had 15,000.

RECRUITING
The MVFC has 3 Illinois teams. Illinois is right in their back yard and it's the 5th largest state with a population of 13 million.

We were a great D2 team but this is a different level.

CaBisonFan
10-13-2009, 03:48 AM
All right, 'nuff said. I won't waste your time with the objective point of view, or that nonsense others call 'reality.' If I had known this was such an upset, though, I would have drank more on Saturday. Now it's a work day.:mad:

'Nuff said here. You can think whatever you want about your team, obviously. I've said what I'm going to say about what I believe 'should be.' Championship teams never doubt their abilities. That used to be Bison football. Accepting a loss is unacceptable...because athletics is not reality. It is a state of mind.

tony
10-13-2009, 03:54 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8ie37mgxIXA/RfdzaExl3_I/AAAAAAAAAhc/BtpsB2ElYV4/s400/ABS+MAN+1.jpg

New linebacker recruit.

HerdBot
10-13-2009, 03:58 AM
'Nuff said here. You can think whatever you want about your team, obviously. I've said what I'm going to say about what I believe 'should be.' Championship teams never doubt their abilities. That used to be Bison football. Accepting a loss is unacceptable...because athletics is not reality. It is a state of mind.

I don't think anyone here accepts losses. We're all ridiculously pissed off and bummed out. I just think we're starting to realize just how good the MVFC and D1-AA is. Ask the Sioux who fave up 65 points to Stephen F Austin and have a losing record vs the FBS.

heckler
10-13-2009, 04:03 AM
Worse start since 1975... ouch!

HerdBot
10-13-2009, 04:06 AM
Worse start since 1975... ouch!

Yeah but we had 100 years of history as a D2 team. We only have 6 years of D1 history and only 1 1/2 years in this conference.

CaBisonFan
10-13-2009, 04:08 AM
We were a great D2 team but this is a different level.

It's all in the attitude. When I see the next Bison team that puts their hearts on the field...I will acknowledge it.

I remember a playoff game or two with Youngstown State and putting the coals to Montana in the Camelia Bowl. Those players and coaches didn't acknowledge 'playing with' a team as being an accomplishment...and they certainly wouldn't have had trouble with the MVFC. A 'whale of a game' would have been laughable to them.

CaBisonFan
10-13-2009, 04:10 AM
I don't think anyone here accepts losses. We're all ridiculously pissed off and bummed out. I just think we're starting to realize just how good the MVFC and D1-AA is. Ask the Sioux who fave up 65 points to Stephen F Austin and have a losing record vs the FBS.

I know that you don't accept losses gabe. It's not your attitude that worries me. You get it.

heckler
10-13-2009, 04:10 AM
Yeah but we had 100 years of history as a D2 team. We only have 6 years of D1 history and only 1 1/2 years in this conference.

let's see how long you hold on to that until you start bitching about not having a winning season ;)

56BISON73
10-13-2009, 04:12 AM
It's all in the attitude. When I see the next Bison team that puts their hearts on the field...I will acknowledge it.

I remember a playoff game or two with Youngstown State and putting the coals to Montana in the Camelia Bowl. Those players and coaches didn't acknowledge 'playing with' a team as being an accomplishment...and they certainly wouldn't have had trouble with the MVFC. A 'whale of a game' would have been laughable to them.

You dont think this team is giving it there all?????

bigskybears
10-13-2009, 04:32 AM
I am growing weary of the Bison being upset by lesser teams...teams that have no business being on the same field with us. I long for the days when 'everyone' in the Bison camp expected to win every game. Losing to SIU was an upset. Iowa State...upset. Same against Illinois State. Falling over ourselves at Sam Houston State should have been viewed as a huge embarrassment. UNI was a good team...but they upset us. I saw a 'good' quarterback, a good running back, and a few 'good' defensive players. Good...as in above average. We were badly upset in Brookings two years ago. We were upset by an inferior team last year at home against the Wabbits.

In Bison football, a loss is an upset. As soon as someone in charge decides to tell the players that, we may return to life as it should be at North Dakota State. A loss should be a huge surprise to the players and the coaches. Don't point fingers...but make changes. Don't personalize it. Don't allow the public to get involved in a debate about who should be playing. Make the damn changes before we even think of it. I look forward to 'someone...anyone'...to tell the players that they are better than every team they play. If someone...anyone...won't communicate this from the very first minute of fall practice...then we need to find someone who will. If this staff won't deliver the proper messages...then make room for someone who gets 'it.'

If this article upsets anyone...that's just fine. It won't upset me. If you think that I'm a total kool-aid drinker, then you really don't know me. I'm a Bison football fan.

Maybe they DO belong on the same field as the Bison. Stop acting like you're freaking USC or Notre Dame. Have some respect for the other programs that you face every week. Believe it or not NDSU isn't God's gift to college football. You have a narcissistic attitude towards college football. Narcissism is a mental disorder. You need help.

HerdBot
10-13-2009, 04:56 AM

I hear what your saying. I don't see the passion I've seen in years past. You can just see it in the body language. There is something not there...T

ell me if you think I'm off base here... the great teams of the past were primarily made up of North Dakota and Minnesota kids. I don't think they tried harder but I think they played with more PRIDE and PASSION because to them...NDSU football is a big deal. It's what they grew up watching. They are not only players but they are FANS. They were MOTIVATED and were genuinely upset when we lost.

You can't teach passion...

Recent players who got NFL looks...
Tyler Roehl - West Fargo
Wurzbacher - Fargo
Steffes - North Dakota
Rob Hunt - Cavalier ND
Tyler Jangula (Williston ND)
Craig Dahl - Mankato (I'm sure growing up in Mankato that he knew about NDSU)

Let's go back...
Best players of all time...
Steve Nelson - Farmington, MN
Tony Satter - Fargo
Phil Hanson - North Dakota

Same goes with UND...
Kleinsasser - North Dakota
Dressler - North Dakota

See a trend?.

Good players with regional roots turn into supestars. Why? They are good athletes and the CARE and they work harder. I honestly think we're getting better athletes but since they didn't grow up watching the Bison, they don't care as much.

You have your exceptions...
Joe Mays - The guy loves the Bison - so much he got a Bison tatoo! That guy was the leader of our defense. You think he had a good impact on the other guys?

This team lacks leadership, pride, and passion. What I'm NOT saying is that you have to be from ND/MN to love NDSU football. I'm saying you need playes who are passionate about football with great leadership skills.

CaBisonFan
10-13-2009, 05:13 AM
I hear what your saying. I don't see the passion I've seen in years past. You can just see it in the body language. There is something not there...T

ell me if you think I'm off base here... the great teams of the past were primarily made up of North Dakota and Minnesota kids. I don't think they tried harder but I think they played with more PRIDE and PASSION because to them...NDSU football is a big deal. It's what they grew up watching. They are not only players but they are FANS. They were MOTIVATED and were genuinely upset when we lost.

You can't teach passion...

Recent players who got NFL looks...
Tyler Roehl - West Fargo
Wurzbacher - Fargo
Steffes - North Dakota
Rob Hunt - Cavalier ND
Tyler Jangula (Williston ND)
Craig Dahl - Mankato (I'm sure growing up in Mankato that he knew about NDSU)

Let's go back...
Best players of all time...
Steve Nelson - Farmington, MN
Tony Satter - Fargo
Phil Hanson - North Dakota

Same goes with UND...
Kleinsasser - North Dakota
Dressler - North Dakota

See a trend?.

Good players with regional roots turn into supestars. Why? They are good athletes and the CARE and they work harder. I honestly think we're getting better athletes but since they didn't grow up watching the Bison, they don't care as much.

You have your exceptions...
Joe Mays - The guy loves the Bison - so much he got a Bison tatoo! That guy was the leader of our defense. You think he had a good impact on the other guys?

This team lacks leadership, pride, and passion. What I'm NOT saying is that you have to be from ND/MN to love NDSU football. I'm saying you need playes who are passionate about football with great leadership skills.

Good stuff gabe. I 'do' respect your opinions. The old formula was North Dakota kids at the core...Minnesota and Wisconsin kids adding a lot of talent to the mix...with a few South Dakota kids. I know that this is a different level...and I don't realistically expect to win absolutely every game. But I am disturbed by the lack of passion, and the things that you wrote about. I'm disturbed by the body language, as you called it. It is more than bizarre. Watch the sidelines. It tells a lot. It's too business-like. The team plays with a robotic appearance. No continuity. One play...another...another...another. I'd add Walker to the Joe Mays club...Heckendorf, and some others. They cared a lot. But to me, Kyle Steffes signaled the resurgence with his play at Montana. It was the 'will' to win against all odds. I don't see it now. Paschall is a stud. No complaints. Some of the linemen are. Preston is. Jemison is already showing his great ability. I was impressed with Pierre in the defensive backfield. Gratzek...and some others. But the team concept is not there.

HerdBot
10-13-2009, 05:32 AM
Good stuff gabe. I 'do' respect your opinions. The old formula was North Dakota kids at the core...Minnesota and Wisconsin kids adding a lot of talent to the mix...with a few South Dakota kids. I know that this is a different level...and I don't realistically expect to win absolutely every game. But I am disturbed by the lack of passion, and the things that you wrote about. I'm disturbed by the body language, as you called it. It is more than bizarre. Watch the sidelines. It tells a lot. It's too business-like. The team plays with a robotic appearance. No continuity. One play...another...another...another. I'd add Walker to the Joe Mays club...Heckendorf, and some others. They cared a lot. But to me, Kyle Steffes signaled the resurgence with his play at Montana. It was the 'will' to win against all odds. I don't see it now. Paschall is a stud. No complaints. Some of the linemen are. Preston is. Jemison is already showing his great ability. I was impressed with Pierre in the defensive backfield. Gratzek...and some others. But the team concept is not there.

We've always been able to build the core of the team around ND/MN kids and looked to bigger area's for skilled players. The most passion I've seen all year was the brawl. Sad but true.

Hey check this out... what's the strength of the team? Offensive line. Anchored by 3 North Dakota players...

Buckman -
Austin Richard
Arndt -

NDSUstudent
10-13-2009, 05:51 AM
I thought the team played hard on Saturday and had a lot of passion. I especially liked what I saw from Mertens and Evans, those guys left everything on the field. Mertens was punishing a very physical UNI defense with some of his runs. If you see your QB doing that it has got to fire you up.

This team in my opinion does not lack passion it is all about execution. Stupid penalties, turnovers, special teams blunders, dropped passes. This team is and has been it's own worst enemy for the past two seasons. It is unbelievably frustrating to look back at our last 11 losses and know that we had a shot to win 10 of them if we just execute.

umdbulldogs
10-13-2009, 12:56 PM
CA, I love how you want your cake and eat it too! you honeslty believe that all football programs need to bow down and respect ndsu's football tradition while you completely disrespect all of ndsu's opponents! saying things like the bizon were "upset" in all 5 of their losses takes away from what the other teams were able to accomplish! this ndsu football hobby of yours is getting to serial killer status for you, its pretty creepy! I grew up in the lakes area and grew up as a local bison fan. being from minny I bleed maroon and gold, but it was fans like you who are so over the top with your d2 domination arrogance that I have been turned away from the ndsu program! maybe you should find another hobby and not take this so seriously cause after each loss I'm wondering what you will do next...its just a game, you can be passoniate, but you sound like this stuff turns you on and what not, get a life!

CaBisonFan
10-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Maybe they DO belong on the same field as the Bison. Stop acting like you're freaking USC or Notre Dame. Have some respect for the other programs that you face every week. Believe it or not NDSU isn't God's gift to college football. You have a narcissistic attitude towards college football. Narcissism is a mental disorder. You need help.

You're missing the whole point...because you choose to. But I expect that from you. I'm heartbroken...:cool:

CaBisonFan
10-13-2009, 01:59 PM
I thought the team played hard on Saturday and had a lot of passion. I especially liked what I saw from Mertens and Evans, those guys left everything on the field. Mertens was punishing a very physical UNI defense with some of his runs. If you see your QB doing that it has got to fire you up.

This team in my opinion does not lack passion it is all about execution. Stupid penalties, turnovers, special teams blunders, dropped passes. This team is and has been it's own worst enemy for the past two seasons. It is unbelievably frustrating to look back at our last 11 losses and know that we had a shot to win 10 of them if we just execute.

They've been taught how to execute. Mental mistakes come from something else.

bigskybears
10-13-2009, 02:02 PM
You're missing the whole point...because you choose to. But I expect that from you. I'm heartbroken...:cool:

You're a narcissist. As I mentioned, get some help. Like any mental disorder it can be curred.

If anything else, give respect to your opponents and stop acting like your USC or Notre Dame.

CaBisonFan
10-13-2009, 02:13 PM
You're a narcissist. As I mentioned, get some help. Like any mental disorder it can be curred.

If anything else, give respect to your opponents and stop acting like your USC or Notre Dame.

You're being silly. You're also assuming that I really care what you think. Your reputation here precedes you. I just added to it for personal attacks...:nod:

roadwarrior
10-13-2009, 02:17 PM
I am growing weary of the Bison being upset by lesser teams...teams that have no business being on the same field with us. I long for the days when 'everyone' in the Bison camp expected to win every game. Losing to SIU was an upset. Iowa State...upset. Same against Illinois State. Falling over ourselves at Sam Houston State should have been viewed as a huge embarrassment. UNI was a good team...but they upset us. I saw a 'good' quarterback, a good running back, and a few 'good' defensive players. Good...as in above average.

I think you may have finally snapped.

bisonmike2
10-13-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm way past that. I'm tired of being tired of being upset.

CaBisonFan
10-13-2009, 02:25 PM
I think you may have finally snapped.

Read between the lines road. If you don't understand the underlying meaning of what I've written, don't blame me. I know where 'you're' coming from...:nod:

Trampled
10-13-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't expect the Bison to ever dominate FCS. I think it is unrealistic to think that because we have good facilities, teammakers, history, blah, blah, blah... and because some of you on this board "expect" all this to translate into domination , that I highly doubt it will ever happen. There is parity, plain and simple. The glory days of the Bison had everything to do with more scholarships and money than the other teams we played. The NCAA created the parity. We do not have any advantage over alot of teams at this level. It takes senior dominated teams to win, and then rebuilding is in order. It will be an up and down cycle . The "Swaggar" is a figment of your imagination! The Bison can and should be in the top 20 (with all these things that we do have considered) but don't expect a return to the glory years.

Bison bison
10-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Baloney.

The NDSU football program has among the best support of any program in FCS.

We should never be out of the top 25. We should never be in the bottom half of our conference. We should regularly make the playoffs.

Trampled
10-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Thats why we should be in the top 20 . Do you really think we have better support than alot of other teams. Missoula comes to my mind first! Keep your expectations as high as they are and you will always be on here bitching about every game we lose.

CaBisonFan
10-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Contrary to popular opinion...my article is not a put-down of other programs. It is, rather, about how the Bison attitude should function. Sure, you lose a game once in a while because the other team is really good, but great coaches inspire their players to 'believe' that they are better than every team they play.

That's not happening. Translation: Extreme confidence...which focuses the players on the task...results in fewer mental errors. You play to win, knowing that you will. It relaxes the players and allows them to play 'their' game without apprehension. It allows them to actually enjoy the game.

This team thinks too much about mistakes...which is why they are happening. And again...you make personnel changes to mix things up. And you do it before a kid is hung out to dry by the media and fans. I take the attacks on Nick Mertens personally. He is a young person who is doing his best. He has been set up to take the brunt of the criticism. That criticism is the responsibility of the coaches. He has needed a relief pitcher for a long time. Then, maybe for the next game, you give him another shot. Nick has suffered an injustice. This lies on the shoulders of the coaches...to be more specific. Sometimes, you bench a player to save him from this type of scrutiny...and maybe to allow him to come back another day...more relaxed. The weight of the world is not on his shoulders if you show him that others can do it.

My main sport was basketball. I was taught that if you 'think' the ball is going in the bucket...it ain't going in. You have to 'know' it. You relax, you don't aim the ball...you just shoot it.

Does anyone understand this? It's a mental game...no matter what sport. Where do all of the mental breakdowns come from? They're not being taught this attitude...and they're so worried about making a mistake that they can't relax and play the game. That's about coaching.

Confidence is taught. It results in good things.

WYOBISONMAN
10-13-2009, 02:49 PM
But, CA, saying that loosing to Iowa State was an upset is just flat out not rational. I mean come on......who are we an underdog to with that thought process.......the Minnesota Vikings?

Trampled
10-13-2009, 02:49 PM
The problem is CA...why do you think NDSU has a lock on all the things you talk about. Don't you think every team ( or at least the top 20) tries to instill these same things!

CaBisonFan
10-13-2009, 02:50 PM
I don't expect the Bison to ever dominate FCS. I think it is unrealistic to think that because we have good facilities, teammakers, history, blah, blah, blah... and because some of you on this board "expect" all this to translate into domination , that I highly doubt it will ever happen. There is parity, plain and simple. The glory days of the Bison had everything to do with more scholarships and money than the other teams we played. The NCAA created the parity. We do not have any advantage over alot of teams at this level. It takes senior dominated teams to win, and then rebuilding is in order. It will be an up and down cycle . The "Swaggar" is a figment of your imagination! The Bison can and should be in the top 20 (with all these things that we do have considered) but don't expect a return to the glory years.

And this attitude has permeated itself into the Bison community. It takes talented players, and great confidence to win. The swagger comes from being taught to relax and to enjoy the game.

Capn_Cat
10-13-2009, 02:50 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6Y_HlG-Gz3c/Rg04poTL0uI/AAAAAAAAAT4/vSdkZcr7SL0/s400/jeb_bush_pouting.jpg
"I want my Daddy."

Trampled
10-13-2009, 02:56 PM
There is no such thing as a "swagger"! Define it for me. It is a figment of peoples' imagination on this board. The closest word I can think of is "cockiness "which can be good or bad, even when it is earned. If you are cocky and lose, it was bad! If you are cocky and win, you get to be cocky again for another week. Big deal!!

bisonmike2
10-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Thats why we should be in the top 20 . Do you really think we have better support than alot of other teams. Missoula comes to my mind first! Keep your expectations as high as they are and you will always be on here bitching about every game we lose.

Yes, yes we do. Congrats, you just won my most idiotic post of the day award. And I don't hand those out too often. We're in the top 10, usually top 5 in attendance every year. We should have our expectations set as high as Montana. We're in a bigger market, have access to a much higher population base with Minnesota nearby than they do. Our facilities are comparable, our enrollment is close to theirs and we're in a more competitive conference. Why wouldn't we try to compare ourselves to them? We should strive to be better than them. You want to be the best, you aim for the best. 6-5, 1-5 unacceptable and we should be bitching about every loss.

JACKGUYII
10-13-2009, 03:00 PM

This post is so on the mark. If the Bison wanted to continue to dominate at the same level as in the past and continue to hang banners at an alarming rate then you should have stayed DII where you did have obvious advantages. Now those advantages are minimized and in some cases do not exist at the FCS level.

NDSUstudent
10-13-2009, 03:01 PM

Missoula is definitely where I aim, that is the program I measure NDSU against and that is where I want NDSU to be. I don't see the Griz going 6-5 or 1-5 ever.

Yes, outside of about 5 or 10 teams, NDSU has much better support then most.

Trampled
10-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Yes, yes we do. Congrats, you just won my most idiotic post of the day award. And I don't hand those out too often. We're in the top 10, usually top 5 in attendance every year. We should have our expectations set as high as Montana. We're in a bigger market, have access to a much higher population base with Minnesota nearby than they do. Our facilities are comparable, our enrollment is close to theirs and we're in a more competitive conference. Why wouldn't we try to compare ourselves to them? We should strive to be better than them. You want to be the best, you aim for the best. 6-5, 1-5 unacceptable and we should be bitching about every loss.

Typical reaction that I expect from the kool-aid section. Not based in reality at all, but very predictable.

bisonmike2
10-13-2009, 03:06 PM
This post is so on the mark. If the Bison wanted to continue to dominate at the same level as in the past and continue to hang banners at an alarming rate then you should have stayed DII where you did have obvious advantages. Now those advantages are minimized and in some cases do not exist at the FCS level.

If there's so much parity in the FCS level why do we still see the same teams at the top every year? Montana, App St, Richmond, Georgia Southern, UNI, SIU, etc. We can get to that level. We have the funding, facilities, support and tradition. We just haven't found the right formula yet.

bisonmike2
10-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Typical reaction that I expect from the kool-aid section. Not based in reality at all, but very predictable.

What should be my reaction? You're right, we can never win, we need to go back to the comfort of DII?

Trampled
10-13-2009, 03:08 PM

Thankyou Jack...as usual, the same people go ballistic at anyone that doesn't believe the Bison will string 7 NCs together in a decade.

NDSUstudent
10-13-2009, 03:12 PM

Having high expectations has nothing to do with drinking the kool aid. A kool aid drinker would say we are that good now and Mike is saying that is where we should be. Huge difference.

WYOBISONMAN
10-13-2009, 03:12 PM

http://hussainyousif.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/liar.jpg

NDSUstudent
10-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Thankyou Jack...as usual, the same people go ballistic at anyone that doesn't believe the Bison will string 7 NCs together in a decade.

Pretty sure Montana has 1 title in the past 15 years. But they are a contender every year and that is where we should be.

Trampled
10-13-2009, 03:17 PM
The last time the Bison won a NC in D2 was the early 90s. We couldn't dominate d2 after the NCAA equalized things. That is 17 years ago Bisonmike. Why do you expect us to dominate FCS? Everyone can have the same number of scholarships if they choose to. Not all teams choose to. We should expect to be in the top 20 at least. You may expect them to be in the top 5. But stringing NCs together like the old days will never happen in your lifetime.

BisonAccountant44
10-13-2009, 03:17 PM

http://theanteheroes.com/Humor/MassFacepalm.jpg

Come on CA, just step away from the keyboard and take a few deep breaths. Everything is going to be O.K.

Yes we're losing now, but we'll be back. NDB2 is exactly right, we should never be bottom half of the conference or out of the top 25.

We should expect to have a shot at the playoffs every year, and to be at worst 7-4.

The attitude is still here. We all still believe that we can, and should, win every game.

To expect to be 10-1 every year, and to call every loss an upset, is just wrong. It is not an upset to lose to ANY Big 12 team. It was not an upset for our unranked 1-4 team to lose at home to a top 5 team. In fact, I think one could make a stong case that the only true upset so far this year came in the ISU game.

Yes we're having our 2nd "down" year, but the 2 previous years probably spoiled us a little bit. We will be back though. The Bison will be fine.

Trampled
10-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Pretty sure Montana has 1 title in the past 15 years. But they are a contender every year and that is where we should be.

Yes, I believe and expect the Bison to be a contender most years, but get real some of you!

BIGTIME
10-13-2009, 03:30 PM
...and reality has settled in.

BIGTIME
10-13-2009, 03:35 PM

Shouldn't your "most idiotic post of the day award" be awarded daily if it is a daily award? But you don't hand them out too often? Talk about idiotic post!

bigskybears
10-13-2009, 03:46 PM
You're being silly. You're also assuming that I really care what you think. Your reputation here precedes you. I just added to it for personal attacks...:nod:

My reputation? Hello!!!! Look at others responding to you. They're Bison fans and they are saying your irrational! Get a life man. From what I understand you're a band teacher. Correct? I'm a fellow educator, so take it from me - all these "articles" you write on Bisonville could be better used to spend more time with your students and family. Teaching is tough job. It takes a lot of time out of your day. However, you probably spend most of your time on this site trying to conjure BS threads like this one. Is football really that important to you?

bisonmike2
10-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Having high expectations has nothing to do with drinking the kool aid. A kool aid drinker would say we are that good now and Mike is saying that is where we should be. Huge difference.

Thank you. And for Bigtime. Wow, can't get anything past you.

Bison"FANatic"
10-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Big Sky

I think you should worry about your own job and not worry about what CAbison is doing. If he wants to write a article to get some discussion going so be it. Maybe you should just go back worrying about the bears or bring something to the discussion.

Oops and the reps were meant to be negative but I will have to take care of that later as I accidentally clicked on the dot while in a hurry. So everyone else will have to hit you with the red reps till I can come back and get you again.

DjKyRo
10-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Most of you probably know this, but assuming we don't run the table and win out the remainder of this season, this will be just our third losing season since 1964. Any one of those losing seasons must've looked bleak, but after 1975 we went and won 4 more national championships.

Relax, Bison football isn't going anywhere.

Swany
10-13-2009, 05:28 PM
CABison, I appreciate the passion, but those posts have severely handicapped your credibility in my mind. Your enthusiasm for the Bison is laudable, but your logic is incredibly flawed. For what it's worth, your posts are getting to be about as credible as a note from Bear Stearns or Lehman Brothers.

OldBison
10-13-2009, 05:45 PM

Well, acknowledge this. There is nothing wrong with the heart of this NDSU team. They played their hearts out on Saturday, but it wasn't enough. I don't know what game you watched.

You need to face facts, this team is not as talented as you and others think. Yes, there is talent but it is very young and inexperienced. It will take time to reverse Bohl's multiple years of suck-hole recruiting.

NDSU needs more talent, plain and simple. You can have all the heart you want, but if you lack the football prowess it doesn't matter. The difference in speed and quickness of UNI compared to NDSU was palpable. :banghead: :banghead: That is what NDSU needs, not more heart.

OldBison
10-13-2009, 05:47 PM

Agreed, which goes to coaching :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

OldBison
10-13-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't expect the Bison to ever dominate FCS. I think it is unrealistic to think that because we have good facilities, teammakers, history, blah, blah, blah...

However, some of us to expect to dominate a team like SDSU which has fewer resources, lousy facilities and yet Stig out recruits and completely dominates Bohl. Hell, SDSU finally got enough scholarships that they could finally play an FBS opponent last year, and yet Bohl has what record against Stig? How many times has Bohl won in SDSU?

This comes down to coaching, nothing else.:blush: :blush: :blush:

OldBison
10-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Confidence is taught.

Road is right, you have snapped. You can't teach confidence, sorry.

Wow, I'm not really sure what can be said now :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

ndsubison1
10-13-2009, 06:05 PM
My reputation? Hello!!!! Look at others responding to you. They're Bison fans and they are saying your irrational! Get a life man. From what I understand you're a band teacher. Correct? I'm a fellow educator, so take it from me - all these "articles" you write on Bisonville could be better used to spend more time with your students and family. Teaching is tough job. It takes a lot of time out of your day. However, you probably spend most of your time on this site trying to conjure BS threads like this one. Is football really that important to you?

why dont you go to the northern colorado board? oh yeah there isnt one...

BlueBisonRock
10-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Big Sky
Oops and the reps were meant to be negative but I will have to take care of that later as I accidentally clicked on the dot while in a hurry. So everyone else will have to hit you with the red reps till I can come back and get you again.

Now, doesn't that really frost your chicklet?! :D

BadlandsBison
10-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Most of you probably know this, but assuming we don't run the table and win out the remainder of this season, this will be just our third losing season since 1964. Any one of those losing seasons must've looked bleak, but after 1975 we went and won 4 more national championships.

Relax, Bison football isn't going anywhere.

I hope you're right, KyRo

bigskybears
10-14-2009, 01:32 PM
why dont you go to the northern colorado board? oh yeah there isnt one...

We have one and you're more than welcome to come and visit.

ndsubison1
10-14-2009, 06:34 PM
We have one and you're more than welcome to come and visit.

why???? ;)

bigskybears
10-15-2009, 06:16 PM
why???? ;)

Why would you assume we didn't have a board?