PDA

View Full Version : beer sales at college football games

westnodak93bison
10-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Are there any schools that sell beer or liquor at football games or other sporting events? IMHO, it would be a great idea and raise a huge amount of money and could transform the dome crowd from stale to "electric" as Bohl likes to say.

bisonmike2
10-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Are there any schools that sell beer or liquor at football games or other sporting events? IMHO, it would be a great idea and raise a huge amount of money and could transform the dome crowd from stale to "electric" as Bohl likes to say.

Not sure. Minnesota was the only one I knew about until this year. I know the U of Wisconsin doesn't, which surprised the hell out of me.

Notorious
10-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Northern Colorado did/does....but, my guess is the $$ raised was offset by the cost of the "significant" law enforcement presence.

WYOBISONMAN
10-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Northern Colorado is the only place I have seen beer sold in the stadium.

bisonmike2
10-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Found this with my google-fu. It's from 2005 but I'm surprise how many schools it list.

"A USA TODAY survey of the 119 schools in the NCAA's major football-playing Division I-A found that nearly half (54) allow the sale of alcohol — through public concessions, in private suites or both — at one or more playing venues. Eighty-five of those schools have designated tailgating areas, and barely one in 10 keeps those zones alcohol-free. (Related item: College responses to USA TODAY survey)"

roadwarrior
10-12-2009, 08:19 PM
It is quite possible that a good portion of those 54 only offer alcohol in suites.

With the alcohol issues around these parts, it isn't going to happen here anytime soon (or later).

The only two places that I have been were at Northern Colorado and the Metrodome.

MN_BISON
10-12-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm pretty sure UND sells beer at their games too.

Tatanka
10-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm pretty sure UND sells beer at their games too.

They would almost have to. Gots to try and compete with teh hockies.

Bison55
10-12-2009, 08:58 PM
I heard und sells beer too. Not sure if it's true but that's what I heard.

we already have enough security, why not make some $ ??

Maybe we can fund that new basketball arena that was needed like 10 years ago!:hide:

Capn_Cat
10-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Saw Syracuse play at Cincinnatti early in the '00's and there was a beer stand every 30 feet!

:)

HerdBot
10-12-2009, 09:38 PM
How about the first 5k fans get a free shot of whiskey sponsored by insert company here. I'm kidding. Maybe I'm not.

56BISON73
10-12-2009, 09:42 PM

I guess that 5 hours of drinking before the game just isnt enough time to get the job done????:D Or is that the effect and they are too drunk ????

HerdBot
10-12-2009, 09:49 PM
I guess that 5 hours of drinking before the game just isnt enough time to get the job done????:D Or is that the effect and they are too drunk ????

How about pheasant hunting night... The first 10k fans get a discount on a hunting license

EndZoneQB
10-12-2009, 10:42 PM

It's the let down of 5 hours of drinking...you pretty much get your hangover on by the time you walk in the door hahah

56BISON73
10-12-2009, 11:37 PM
It's the let down of 5 hours of drinking...you pretty much get your hangover on by the time you walk in the door hahah
OOOHHhhh I understand.:D

stevdock
10-13-2009, 02:05 AM
I sure hope this doesn't happen EVER. It was bad enough getting beer spilled on me during the Wagner game let alone how much that would happen if sales were legal in the Dome.

td577
10-13-2009, 02:18 AM
I know they serve beer at the Ralph, but I don't know about the Alerus.

I don't even drink and wouldn't have a problem with serving beer at the dome. The only stipulation would be to have a family section or two with no alcohol allowed.

westnodak93bison
10-13-2009, 02:22 AM
I dont remember any problems at the two Gopher games.

lakesbison
10-13-2009, 02:26 AM
2 gopher games were amazing!!

ROB SOBOLIK quote "if Joe Chapman called me friday with a go ahead for beer, it'd be flowing the next day"

all the 21-30 year olds tailgate then head to labbys/bww's/chubs.

there's not a student over 21 at the game, *insert beer and you'd have every junior/senior there for everygame, every minute!*

bincitysioux
10-13-2009, 01:21 PM
I know they serve beer at the Ralph, but I don't know about the Alerus.

Yeah, they do sell beer at the Alerus, and also at the Betty for basketball and volleyball.

BIGTIME
10-13-2009, 01:44 PM
I believe the NCAA discourages the sale of alcohol but it is an individual school by school decision. I have been to many Gopher football games at the dome over the years and the drinking is not a problem for most people, but as in all instances it is a few that ruin it for the rest. I have seen puking in peoples seats, the Iowa bathroom incident in 2008, drunken fans storming the field to steal the goal posts in 2002. I enjoy tailgating but also see the need to respect people that do not go to the game for the "party" atmosphere.

Castor Troy
10-13-2009, 01:58 PM
The beer was flowin' at the Summitt Tourney last year and it was awesome! I think they even had Premium. MMMM! Sweet, delicious, beer!!!!!

Thunder_Struck
10-14-2009, 07:57 PM
According to a friend that went to the UND game last week they even had a mixed drink stand. I think NDSU and Fargodome should look into the beer sales. It would be a nice revenue stream and there seems to be plenty of security already on hand.

NorthernBison
10-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Maturi was on the Bumper to Bumper show yesterday. The decision to eliminate beer sales at Gopher football games will cost the Athletic Department several million dollars over the next three years according to him.

The Alerus does sell beer and you are not restricted to consuming it in a special area anymore. You can bring it to your seat. I got this from a season ticket holder.

The Ralph sells beer but you can only buy one at a time. So, if you need one for the Wife, she better be with you.

BTW, the part of Maturi's visit was the discussion about the issues with fans standing and people telling them to sit down.

TbonZach
10-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Hate to be Debby Downer here, but until NDSU becomes a wet (opposit of dry?) campus, this probably isn't going to happen any time soon.

With that said, I agree that alcohol should be sold. I think it adds someting to the gameday atmosphere.

clenz
10-14-2009, 08:36 PM
I believe the NCAA discourages the sale of alcohol but it is an individual school by school decision. I have been to many Gopher football games at the dome over the years and the drinking is not a problem for most people, but as in all instances it is a few that ruin it for the rest. I have seen puking in peoples seats, the Iowa bathroom incident in 2008, drunken fans storming the field to steal the goal posts in 2002. I enjoy tailgating but also see the need to respect people that do not go to the game for the "party" atmosphere.

Schools that play in a stadium owned by the school may not have alcohol sold, NCAA rule. There is, however, exceptions for pregame suites/special occasions I believe.

roadwarrior
10-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Schools that play in a stadium owned by the school may not have alcohol sold, NCAA rule. There is, however, exceptions for pregame suites/special occasions I believe.

You better check with the University of Northern Colorado then.....

Notorious
10-14-2009, 08:59 PM

You just have to place a line of law enforcement (approx. 20) between the shi* faced crowd and the opposing bench, and you're "golden".

heckler
10-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Can we have beer at the games now that Chapman is gone?

bincitysioux
10-14-2009, 09:28 PM
I believe the NCAA discourages the sale of alcohol but it is an individual school by school decision.

Can't sell alcohol at NCAA sanctioned events, i.e. playoff games. The Alerus couldn't sell beer when UND hosted playoff games in the past and had to cover beer advertisements. Same thing when the REA hosted the hockey regional a few years back.

The Alerus does sell beer and you are not restricted to consuming it in a special area anymore. You can bring it to your seat. I got this from a season ticket holder.

Except the student section. Students (21 and older of course) can buy drinks but can't take them to their seats in the student section.

clenz
10-15-2009, 12:24 AM

If the stadium is owned by an off campus place it is ok. I'm not sure if UNCo owns the stadium or if someone else does.

roadwarrior
10-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Northern Colorado's stadium is on campus and owned by them. I think you are confused with NCAA rules during any post season competition.

4mcruenomore
10-15-2009, 01:07 AM
Can't sell alcohol at NCAA sanctioned events, i.e. playoff games. The Alerus couldn't sell beer when UND hosted playoff games in the past and had to cover beer advertisements. Same thing when the REA hosted the hockey regional a few years back.

Except the student section. Students (21 and older of course) can buy drinks but can't take them to their seats in the student section.

Well, don't have to worry about playoff games, lol, we won't be having any anytime soon.