PDA

View Full Version : Next year players were losing

HerdBot
10-12-2009, 07:16 AM
I know it's early but let's take a look into next years team. Here are the players we will be losing.

Bibeau -

OFFENSE
Pat Paschall - Tough loss but we always fill the spot all you need to do is look to Roehl and Steffes. We have great depth and talent with Ojuri, DJ, Voight, and Sigers

WR/PR Shamen - can be replaced on special teams with many of our running backs and he's way too short to be a starting WR anway. Holloway is turning into a stud. Williams has had bright spots. Titus Mack is coming along and Woods should be back next year. But I'm really excited to see the freshman Powell-Calhoun and Wahlo. Should see major improvement to the WR corps next year.

Mertens - Many here won't be crushed when he's gone since we have 3 solid players. Should be as good or better.

Thor Brown - Good player but easily replaced with Veldman, Landon Smith, and the 2 freshman. Should be as good or better. Veldman will be the stud.

Buckman, Ebel, and Foster - 3 good players who will be tough to replace. We've got Austin Richard and Arndt returning. Cornick has played a lot and started for Ebel agianst UNI. We've got some talent with Will Britt, Joe Lund, Carlin Landinghan, and Jerve and Hank Jacobs seem big enough to play. Should be good.

DEFENSE
DT's - Fairbairn & Taufetee -
Fairbairn will be a loss. Same with Taufetee. Gratzek and Phillips should do well. Greg Reid was highly touted as a recruit and was one of our bigger signings. Tyler Gimmestad is a big dude. May need another Juco there. Too many question marks.

CB: Courtney Mitchell & Richard Bowman - S: Kyle Belmont -
The play of the secondary has been kind of disapointing. Can't rip on Mitchell since he had a serious injury but Bowman has been getting burned. It seems like Gatlin, Colvin, Pierre, and Horner have been getting as much playing time anyway. The young guys are improving so I don't see this as much of a loss at all. Eaves has gotten a lot of playing time too. Suprised Cyrus Lemon hasn't played much but he was the starter last year. Expect to see improvements.

Linebackers: Matt Kittleson, Henry, and Bussey. Kittleson will be a loss. Henry hasn't played anyway and Bussey is more of a special teams guy. Our linebackers are starting to gel and I next year they could be really good. Jemison is learning and improving, Evans is a beast already, and Matt Anderson will be the most experienced guy. What's the story with Eddie Beson? I though he was making a case to lose his redshirt until he blew his knee out? Depth is a major issue next year. We probably need a Juco for depth unless some of the other unknown's step up. Expect major improvements.

That brings us to next years strength...DE! We're not losing anyone and Boyer and Johnson are coming along well. Very impressed with Boyer.Hagen and Stoczynski are getting playing time, probably too early. But the young talent looks to be GREAT with Levon Perry and Cole Jirik. Couldn't be shocked to see one of those guys move to linebacker since we're thin.

Scooter1
10-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Good post.

On the Roster, Kyle Belmont is listed as a junior. So, he should be back for next year.

Bison Dan
10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Good post.

On the Roster, Kyle Belmont is listed as a junior. So, he should be back for next year.

This is Kyle's last year.

Jay
10-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Unless he gets a medical redshirt, which he may be applying for.

westnodak93bison
10-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I disagree with one point. I dont think Boyer and Johnson have played as well as expected. Dont forget about Juckim at DE. I spoke breifly with Juckem after the Illinois State game and he seemed legitametly pissed off at the loss, kind of struck me as a competitor with maybe a little mean streak in him.

I wonder if the recent LB to verbal, Don Carter, has the potential to contribute as a freshman? He good size at 220lb.

And what about Beson? Havent heard anything about him.

stevdock
10-12-2009, 01:56 PM
I disagree with one point. I dont think Boyer and Johnson have played as well as expected. Dont forget about Juckim at DE. I spoke breifly with Juckem after the Illinois State game and he seemed legitametly pissed off at the loss, kind of struck me as a competitor with maybe a little mean streak in him.

I wonder if the recent LB to verbal, Don Carter, has the potential to contribute as a freshman? He good size at 220lb.

And what about Beson? Havent heard anything about him.

I would be shocked if Juckem doesn't immediately challenge for the starting spot for next year. Everything I've heard and read about him I've been very impressed with. Now for him to go out and show that on the field is going to be fun to watch.

CaBisonFan
10-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Anyone heard the prognosis on Matt Anderson's neck surgery? Does he plan to play again?

bison mom
10-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Anyone heard the prognosis on Matt Anderson's neck surgery? Does he plan to play again?

Yes, after his surgery, he will be out for approximately 6 mos. He is a junior now so he plans on playing his senior year. Best of luck to Matt on his surgery!

X-Factor
10-12-2009, 02:46 PM
next year's team could be pretty good actually. With the talent they have returning there is no excuse not to make the playoffs. Bohl might be wise to pick up a DT JUCO and a JUCO CB if one is worth a scholarship, but that is all we need aside from making sure we have competence at PK and P.

msvjcpa
10-12-2009, 03:06 PM
I would be shocked if Juckem doesn't immediately challenge for the starting spot for next year. Everything I've heard and read about him I've been very impressed with. Now for him to go out and show that on the field is going to be fun to watch.

From what I've seen, Juckem is garbage. Jirik is way ahead of him. I'm not sure what you're hearing or reading. If it's the crap that came out of recruiting, you can pitch it. That stuff is meaningless. There is no way either of those guys will unseat Boyer and Johnson next year. Boyer and Johnson are seeing their first legitimate playing time as sophomores. And they are only going to get better. There is no way they will be able to outplay these juniors as red shirt freshmen. No way.

The coaching staff finally did the right thing and let that front four play almost every down. They threw out the stupid rotation they used in the first 5 games out the window. Let these guys play and come out when they need a blow. I saw more QB pressure and tough run stopping (one bad play that went for 70 yards) this game than the previous 5. We held the top offensive team in the country to under 400 total yards. They were averaging close to 500 coming into the game. Even with a 70 yard blow, they only rushed for 166 net yards. That, my friend, is getting it done by the front four. There will always be mistakes. Gap control needs to be a continual focus.

My sense is that Boyer and Johnson are young but they are learning volumes playing most of the downs right now. For crying out loud, Johnson had to go up against the biggest freakin tackle on Saturday that I think I have ever seen. He was still able to get some decent pressure. These guys are good and the coaching staff believes in them. Mark my words, they are the future for the next 2+ years. Just my take...

HerdBot
10-12-2009, 03:59 PM
From what I've seen, Juckem is garbage. Jirik is way ahead of him. I'm not sure what you're hearing or reading. If it's the crap that came out of recruiting, you can pitch it. That stuff is meaningless. There is no way either of those guys will unseat Boyer and Johnson next year. Boyer and Johnson are seeing their first legitimate playing time as sophomores. And they are only going to get better. There is no way they will be able to outplay these juniors as red shirt freshmen. No way.

The coaching staff finally did the right thing and let that front four play almost every down. They threw out the stupid rotation they used in the first 5 games out the window. Let these guys play and come out when they need a blow. I saw more QB pressure and tough run stopping (one bad play that went for 70 yards) this game than the previous 5. We held the top offensive team in the country to under 400 total yards. They were averaging close to 500 coming into the game. Even with a 70 yard blow, they only rushed for 166 net yards. That, my friend, is getting it done by the front four. There will always be mistakes. Gap control needs to be a continual focus.

My sense is that Boyer and Johnson are young but they are learning volumes playing most of the downs right now. For crying out loud, Johnson had to go up against the biggest freakin tackle on Saturday that I think I have ever seen. He was still able to get some decent pressure. These guys are good and the coaching staff believes in them. Mark my words, they are the future for the next 2+ years. Just my take...

Juckem is on the light side right now but one he puts on some muscle he should be good. His lack of size is why I left him off the list. Probably a good guy his Jr or Sr year. BTW, Totally agre with you on the gap control. Too many bodies mean too many errors.

HHS
10-12-2009, 04:14 PM
From what I've seen, Juckem is garbage. Just my take...

You're referring to a player on your team, a true frosh, as garbage?

Just so we don't think you are someone who is throwing some stuff out there without truly knowing the position, please tell us when you've seen Juckem play (games or practice), how many reps you keyed on him, and what he's doing wrong technique wise? What is he/isn't he doing?

westnodak93bison
10-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Size is overrated imho at the DE in a 4-3. We need a couple super quick fast guys as well. Juckem is 235lb according to the roster. Gaining another 15lbs before kick off next year should not be that hard.

RunDMc34
10-12-2009, 04:51 PM
If and this is a huge if imo but If Breske stays are we looking to switch to a 3-4? if so at 235 Juckem could possibly play that pass rushing OLB like say Elvis Dumberville in Denver

HerdBot
10-13-2009, 03:56 AM
If and this is a huge if imo but If Breske stays are we looking to switch to a 3-4? if so at 235 Juckem could possibly play that pass rushing OLB like say Elvis Dumberville in Denver

I don't know man. Breske already has players who are confused as hell and can't figure out what gap to stay in, so why confuse them any more by changing schemes right around the time they start to figure out the current scheme.

Doesn't make a lot of sense either. Teams usually go away from the 4-3 because they don't have quality Defensive Ends. This team is loaded at DE next year. They also have to be loaded at linebacker and we'll be lucky to have 4 quality linebackers next year, and that's assuming no injuries. Plus you need 1 massive NT and we don't really have anybody over 300 lbs next year.

I say take those good pass rushers and have a dominating pass down defense to kill the QB.

tony
10-13-2009, 03:57 AM
If the only players NDSU lost in the off-season we're the ones who were graduating, we wouldn't be 1-5.

56BISON73
10-13-2009, 04:20 AM

Ive been watching that rotation longer than I would like to. As Ive said before--you dont get a true feel or get in a groove for the game unless you are playing every down. Finally someone else who gets it.

56BISON73
10-13-2009, 04:22 AM
I don't know man. Breske already has players who are confused as hell and can't figure out what gap to stay in, so why confuse them any more by changing schemes right around the time they start to figure out the current scheme.

Doesn't make a lot of sense either. Teams usually go away from the 4-3 because they don't have quality Defensive Ends. This team is loaded at DE next year. They also have to be loaded at linebacker and we'll be lucky to have 4 quality linebackers next year, and that's assuming no injuries. Plus you need 1 massive NT and we don't really have anybody over 300 lbs next year.

I say take those good pass rushers and have a dominating pass down defense to kill the QB.

The defensive schemes were much more effective this last game.

Mr. Burgundy
10-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Anyone that rips on a true freshman is "gargabe" to me. I have spoken to several parents, coaches and also seen the Juckem up close (kids autograph night) as well as practice, and to slight that kid one bit is an error. First of all, he is a great person from all accounts. A good student who turned down some significant offers to be a Bison. You don't have to rip on a player to build another player up. I would argue he has the best "body" that I have ever seen on a true freshman lineman. If you think he is small, you should have seen Colter a couple years ago. Trust me, he will be plenty big enough when his time comes. I hope he can add some great depth to what looks to be a very solid defensive line.

AEBison1998
10-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Look for Garrett Johnson to move to DT next year so we'll need to reload one side of the DE position. (At least that was the plan last year.)

OldBison
10-13-2009, 06:26 PM
next year's team could be pretty good actually. With the talent they have returning there is no excuse not to make the playoffs. Bohl might be wise to pick up a DT JUCO and a JUCO CB if one is worth a scholarship, but that is all we need aside from making sure we have competence at PK and P.

Way too early to make that prediction. As for me, I expect NDSU to be only slightly better than this year. Here's why:

OL: OT and C are fine, but no back ups. The guys at OG, likely Lund and Landingham, have no game experience and are on the small side. There is no depth behind these five, guys like Jerve are just too young and inexperienced.

QB: Who knows, once again, as ever with a Bohl team, the back ups get no time to learn the speed of the game. Too much of a crap shoot and too many unknowns to know whether or not anybody on the roster can play as good as Mertens has this year. :hide:

WR: Again, no depth and if there are injuries the Bison are in trouble as they were when Woods and Williams went down. RFr rarely produce in the WC offense the Bison run and any expectation that this years recruiting class will be able to do anything different is wishful thinking.

DL: Once a strength could be a liability if injuries hit. Yes, Phillips and Reid should be fine, but depth in the interior will be questionable. I agree, Johnson may get moved inside and they tried that last spring, it is likely going to be necessary.

LB: A sore spot, poorly recruited, and no depth. As injury-prone as this position has been it is yet another example of Bohl's head being squarely positioned in his rectum so firmly he couldn't possible recruit effectively while in that position. This is going to be a trouble spot if there are injuries.

DB: Can you say thin? Pierre and Gatlin will be okay, but Colvin struggles and Mitchell hasn't seen the field yet as a Jr so it is unlikely he will be a factor. SS has to be rebuilt and we better hope the FS doesn't go down, the backup is about 4" shorter than the minimum needed for this position. Did anyone notice how big the UNI safeties were? That is how you recruit the position.

My guess, the Bison will be somewhere between 4-7 and 5-6 next year :hide:

NDSUstudent
10-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Bohl needs to find some JUCO players to bolster the LB and DB depth. QB is going to be interesting but at least there will be some competition for a change.

I will say there are some pieces but it is going to take some coaching to get the team up to speed. We do start the season off @Kansas and @UNI.