PDA

View Full Version : Not Going For Td?

lakesbison
10-12-2009, 02:34 AM
with the way our defense has played this year,

HOW IN THE HECK DO YOU NOT GO FOR A TD from the 1 yard line??

we got nothing to lose, I don't get that at all, way to instill bison pride!

4mcruenomore
10-12-2009, 02:37 AM
B/C the coach is not aggressive enough. And I agree with you

bisonmike2
10-12-2009, 02:38 AM
with the way our defense has played this year,

HOW IN THE HECK DO YOU NOT GO FOR A TD from the 1 yard line??

we got nothing to lose, I don't get that at all, way to instill bison pride!

Yes, one of many decisions from this coaching staff that I have questioned this year. Not only that they didn't go for it on 4th down, it's how they tried to get in on downs 1-3.

SUBISON247
10-12-2009, 02:43 AM
that's because our offense is not designed to chase points or some BS like that. What ever happened to the double fullback set that we used to use to punch it into the endzone with our runningbacks??

met1990
10-12-2009, 02:44 AM
My thoughts the entire time (and I would probably have been screaming this if it weren't for the kids around me) was WHY THE F AREN'T TWO PLAYS BEING CALLED IN THE HUDDLE? You have a first and goal at the one with two timeouts and 40 or so seconds. Don't burn your timeouts after first and second down. Frankly, I would have called four straight QB sneaks. If you can't punch it in with a 220-pound QB and that offensive line, you didn't deserve to win anyway...

4mcruenomore
10-12-2009, 02:44 AM
that's because our offense is not designed to chase points or some BS like that. What ever happened to the double fullback set that we used to use to punch it into the endzone with our runningbacks??

Power I with Steffes. Wow, given TD with #23 back there in that formation.

SUBISON247
10-12-2009, 02:50 AM
What about a fade route to the corner of the end zone. I am all of 5'9" and 280lbs have really no athletic skills and I can place the ball in the corner on a fade route from the 10 yard line and in.

4mcruenomore
10-12-2009, 02:52 AM
I am all of 5'9" and 280lbs have really no athletic skills and I can place the ball in the corner on a fade route from the 10 yard line and in.

OK, do we honestly need UND QB's posting here? LOL

lakesbison
10-12-2009, 02:55 AM
IT was embarassing to "SETTLE" for a field goal and NOT go for it on 4th down on the one. WHY YOU ASK?

Exhibit A: You're 1 - 4

Exhibit B: YOUR DEFENSE CANT PREVENT 30-35 points

Exhibit C: YOU GIVE UNI ALL THE MOMENTUM.

Exhibit D: OUR PLAYER, FANS & BOOSTERS TALK TOUGH, THEN COACH WONT BACK US UP????

A R G H .

CaBisonFan
10-12-2009, 02:56 AM
Frankly, I would have called four straight QB sneaks. If you can't punch it in with a 220-pound QB and that offensive line, you didn't deserve to win anyway...

That's exactly what I thought during that series. :ranting:

HooliganBison
10-12-2009, 03:07 AM
I like the 4 qb sneaks, but another option put veldman out wide and throw the fade to him.

bisonbills
10-12-2009, 03:11 AM
They didn't go for it on 4th down because they failed to get it in from the 1 three times before. It should have never come down to 4th down. Poor execution = conservative play calling.

99Bison
10-12-2009, 02:51 PM
1st and goal from the 1 last two games, 0 td's, two fg's.

stevdock
10-12-2009, 02:56 PM
I was disappointed on 2nd down that we didn't see play action to PP and then boot to the wide side with a run/pass option. You completely gear up for the run, and if done correctly, those TE's should be wide open all over the place. If they aren't Mertens lowers the shoulder and runs it in. Too conservative play calling ALL DAY when you are playing #4 in the Nation.

Tatanka
10-12-2009, 02:59 PM
I like the 4 qb sneaks, but another option put veldman out wide and throw the fade to him.

What, pray tell is this "fade" you speak of? Oh, yeah, the play that got us touchdowns damn near every week a couple of years ago. Too bad we don't have a tall receiv.... hey. wait a minute.

bisonhusker
10-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Maybe we were just trying to get our FG kicker some confidence?

Fightin' Bison
10-12-2009, 03:48 PM
. . .
Exhibit D: OUR PLAYER, FANS & BOOSTERS TALK TOUGH, THEN COACH WONT BACK US UP????
. . . .

If the coach ever calls plays to back up a loudmouth on a message board, then we are in real trouble. . . .

VanClubPres
10-13-2009, 12:22 AM
That and anyone who watches game film knows that we are probably going to try the mertens option spin up the gut. I think we have ran it in every game this year. (i think, dont blast me statkeepers). we have been successful at it. Therefore against a great team, or what was supposed to be amazing, plans for it and stuffs it in our face. We have the best running back in the country. give him the ball to the outside, he out runs or out hits the first man for a touchdown.

Or motion him to the outside and throw him the ball in the flats. I would love to see him run and catch in open space.

All easy to say from the blue seat coaches chair.

BisonVifte
10-13-2009, 12:39 AM
I was wondering why we didn't go for the 2 point conversion when we were down by 15 and scored the td.

Bisonguy
10-13-2009, 12:52 AM
I was wondering why we didn't go for the 2 point conversion when we were down by 15 and scored the td.

If you miss it you're down by 9, i.e. two scores.

ndsubison1
10-13-2009, 12:54 AM
cant beat a team like uni by kicking field goals... plus our place kicker is too inconsistent anyways

TransAmBison
10-13-2009, 01:19 AM
cant beat a team like uni by kicking field goals... plus our place kicker is too inconsistent anyways
Oh, I would say our kicker is quite consistent. Has been for years. :(

BisonVifte
10-13-2009, 09:13 PM
If you miss it you're down by 9, i.e. two scores.
Point is you still have to go for 2 at some point or you are down by 2 scores.

RunDMc34
10-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Not going for the TD seemed to me like Bohl just didnt want to get blown out. NEWSFLASH we are 1-4 who cares if you get blown out YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

If you score and are down by 15 you kick the 1 to make it a 1 possession game and prolong the game, thats coaching 101 right there.

Bisonguy
10-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Point is you still have to go for 2 at some point or you are down by 2 scores.

They couldn't punch it in the endzone with three chances from within the PAT spot, what makes you think they could with one attempt?

Coaches pretty much always save the two-point conversion to tie. It's a lot easier to keep morale up when you're only one score down late in the game than if you're down by two scores.

bisonpride
10-13-2009, 10:26 PM
I was disappointed on 2nd down that we didn't see play action to PP and then boot to the wide side with a run/pass option. You completely gear up for the run, and if done correctly, those TE's should be wide open all over the place. If they aren't Mertens lowers the shoulder and runs it in. Too conservative play calling ALL DAY when you are playing #4 in the Nation.

EXACTLY!!!

After seeing Mertens try to sneak it on first down you know they would key on Paschal on 2nd down. Play action would have been an automatic td to the god of thunder THOR!

VanClubPres
10-13-2009, 11:22 PM
EXACTLY!!!

After seeing Mertens try to sneak it on first down you know they would key on Paschal on 2nd down. Play action would have been an automatic td to the god of thunder THOR!

yes to this.

Great grab by him in the fourth, be have underutilzed him this year, but with veldman how can you not.

MNLonghorn10
10-14-2009, 02:32 AM
what was more dumb than the 4th and goal fg, was the 4th and 5 45 yard attempt.

you knew he was going to miss it. in fact i'd put money there was better odds of picking up the 1st rathern than letting bibeau kick it.

f'n pathetic.

ndsubison1
10-14-2009, 02:59 AM

so we get it within one possession... football 101