PDA

View Full Version : I am actually pretty excited

Mr. Burgundy
10-11-2009, 04:03 PM
We just fought tooth and nail with a top 5 team deep into the 4th quarter. The final score doesn't show how tight that game was. We simply do not capitalize on drives/opportunities.

We had a TD by DJ called back early. One of many penalties. Sloppy.
Missed two field goals...and kicked a ball out of bounds on a kickoff. It is simply time to switch kickers.
We had a dropped TD pass, and several other passes dropped.
We were 1st and goal at the 1 and kicked a field goal. PP should have ran it 4 times in a row. When was the last time the first guy tackled him outside?
We had 550 yards off offense on what was basically the best most physical defense in FCS. They are a very big team. Top to bottom.
We had 38 or so minutes of time of possession. If you can control that clock and move that ball, you win alot of ballgames.
We had a pass interference call on #31. They scored the next play on a bomb. It would have been a 3rd and 10.
We had a pass rush finally, and minus about a 70 yard run, we didn't allow them to run the ball much at all.
Blocked punt for a TD. HORRIBLE.
Our special teams are an absolute mess. Kick coverage, punting, field goals, the on side kick, kicking it out of bounds, etc. We start at our 18, they start on their 40. Big difference.
Oh, and the officials were HORRIBLE. Just HORRIBLE. I am not even saying it was lopsided, it was just hard to watch. The refs thought they were bigger than the game. I don't want to know that there are officials at a game. Call a clean game and move on.
Preston Evans...what a leader. Plays with heart and emotion. Lets find 10 more of him and our defense would be rock solid. People feed off that energy.

Bottom line, I went into that game thinking it was over, and we were in trouble in the future. I left feeling we gave them all we wanted, our defense was much improved and we have a shot to run the table and give us real momentum.

Keep in mind, that UNI started 16 of 22 starters as Seniors. We started probably about 7 or so. I think we lose a few really good seniors, but a few that I think we have capable backups. UNI is built to win now, and honestly I hope they do. That will help the conference. We are playing a ton of kids. They are playing men. You can see the difference.

I am very excited about the future. I personally think we can maybe win out and shock SDSU. If you can continually run the ball, you can win games. Time to play more agressive (coaching) and play to win. Not to stay close.

CaBisonFan
10-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Good post Burgundy. A lot of good things happened. We have a ton of talent. We're very young...with some exceptions, as you mentioned. The score didn't show that we were in it almost to the end. UNI trolls will say that they just reload...but that doesn't take away from the fact that we are incredibly young. We typically reload too, but a recruiting gap took place...for whatever reason.

EightyfourBison
10-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Burgundy,
You expressed my feelings about the game better than I could.

NDSUstudent
10-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Well said, like I said yesterday....Write it down, we will be leaving Brookings with the marker.

HandoEX
10-11-2009, 04:18 PM
The future looks really, really bright right now. If we can get some solid performance from the new O-lineman and wide receivers next year, I think we'll be good.

I look for the defense to return to Bison form next season with a year under their belt with Breske. This is one YOUNG defense! We'll lose Fairbarn, Kittleson, Bowman and Belmont and return alot!

99Bison
10-11-2009, 04:20 PM
The only problem is... like it has been the last 1.5 yrs+... the team/staff hasn't figured out how to "win," ie. make plays when it really counts.

That's how you out stat people and lose. Especially when you play teams that are good at it - like UNI this year, Bison 06/07, etc.

99Bison
10-11-2009, 04:21 PM
The future looks really, really bright right now. If we can get some solid performance from the new O-lineman and wide receivers next year, I think we'll be good.

I look for the defense to return to Bison form next season with a year under their belt with Breske. This is one YOUNG defense! We'll lose Fairbarn, Kittleson, Bowman and Belmont and return alot!

Heard Belmont was applying for med rs for last year... It would be nice to have him back.

BisManBison
10-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Excellent post Burgundy...the talent is there to win, just not the experience. But with that experience, good things are to come in the future.

VanClubPres
10-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Heard Belmont was applying for med rs for last year... It would be nice to have him back.

I was just going to type the same thing. That would be a big boost if we could keep him around.

HandoEX
10-11-2009, 04:45 PM
The only problem is... like it has been the last 1.5 yrs+... the team/staff hasn't figured out how to "win," ie. make plays when it really counts.

That's how you out stat people and lose. Especially when you play teams that are good at it - like UNI this year, Bison 06/07, etc.

I thought that was the case, and I sure hope he gets that extra year. It sure would be nice to have his leadership out there next year!

EightyfourBison
10-11-2009, 04:49 PM

You "outstat" people and lose by always looking at an 80 yard plus field and the other team is looking at an 80 yard minus field. ie poor field position. Especially evident yesterday.

IzzyFlexion
10-11-2009, 05:02 PM
You "outstat" people and lose by always looking at an 80 yard plus field and the other team is looking at an 80 yard minus field. ie poor field position. Especially evident yesterday.

There it is wrapped up nice and tight by EightyfourBison.

1. Big advantage in T.O.P.
2. Significant advantage in total offense.
3. Lose by 15 points.
RESULT: Horsesh!t field position. Not just once, but all day long. Special teams is a glaring weakness for this team in several ways.
1. Poor punting.
2. Poor formations/protections/communication on punts.
3. Poor FG success rate resulting in both missed opportunities for points and reversing field position.
4. Poor punt and kick returns (moreso yesterday than in previous games)
5. Poor decision making in K.O. returns. (fielding a UNI kickoff that was certainly headed out of bounds resulted in a field position net loss of 20-ish yards.
6. Awful distance on kick-offs.

And, of course, the bright spot on special teams was the punt block for a TD. Gotta give credit to the STs there.
K.O. and punt coverage were also pretty solid yesterday.

Jay
10-11-2009, 05:08 PM
There it is wrapped up nice and tight by EightyfourBison.

1. Big advantage in T.O.P.
2. Significant advantage in total offense.
3. Lose by 15 points.
RESULT: Horsesh!t field position. Not just once, but all day long. Special teams is a glaring weakness for this team in several ways.
1. Poor punting.
2. Poor formations/protections/communication on punts.
3. Poor FG success rate resulting in both missed opportunities for points and reversing field position.
4. Poor punt and kick returns (moreso yesterday than in previous games)
5. Poor decision making in K.O. returns. (fielding a UNI kickoff that was certainly headed out of bounds resulted in a field position net loss of 20-ish yards.
6. Awful distance on kick-offs.

And, of course, the bright spot on special teams was the punt block for a TD. Gotta give credit to the STs there.
K.O. and punt coverage were also pretty solid yesterday.

Poor decision in fielding punts. McNorton could have clearly caught one, decided to let it bounce and it benefited UNI immensely.

HandoEX
10-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Poor decision in fielding punts. McNorton could have clearly caught one, decided to let it bounce and it benefited UNI immensely.

Was that the one that went to the 1 yard line at the north end zone?

Has anyone seen Jastrom kick? Does he have a strong leg? If not, dear Jesus send us a kicker with a stronger leg next year. Bibeau's kickoffs were TERRIBLE yesterday!

KTF
10-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Great Post!

yellowstreak
10-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Matt Veldman-82 had a pretty good game. I'd like to see more passes thrown to TE's.

RRVBISON
10-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Before we are going to be successful, we have to stop making so many mental errors. Penalties are killing us. Also, how about making the plays you're supposed to make. Catch the ball please, and make a tackle please. I hope some of these things will improve as the younger players get older.

The situational play calling and time management has to get better.

We need a QB that is a little more comfortable during pocket passing. Our current QB gets flustered easily. Rant over.

westnodak93bison
10-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I'd like to add a few observations to the original post. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Brendan Pierre is gonna be a good corner for a long time. Yeah he got beat a couple times but he was there on every play and that pass interference call was BS-actually he couldnt have played it much better imho.

2. Warren Holloway continues to improve and showed he has some guts by catching the ball in traffic and taking some hits.

3. I love Veldman's fire. After he dropped one pass he waived off his replacement and came back and caught pretty much everything the rest of the day.

4. I think UNI kicked away from Ojuri on kickoffs intentionally. If they did then that confirms they know what most of us suspect in that he is gonna be a pretty good player.

ndsubison1
10-12-2009, 12:28 AM
We just fought tooth and nail with a top 5 team deep into the 4th quarter. The final score doesn't show how tight that game was. We simply do not capitalize on drives/opportunities.

We had a TD by DJ called back early. One of many penalties. Sloppy.
Missed two field goals...and kicked a ball out of bounds on a kickoff. It is simply time to switch kickers.
We had a dropped TD pass, and several other passes dropped.
We were 1st and goal at the 1 and kicked a field goal. PP should have ran it 4 times in a row. When was the last time the first guy tackled him outside?
We had 550 yards off offense on what was basically the best most physical defense in FCS. They are a very big team. Top to bottom.
We had 38 or so minutes of time of possession. If you can control that clock and move that ball, you win alot of ballgames.
We had a pass interference call on #31. They scored the next play on a bomb. It would have been a 3rd and 10.
We had a pass rush finally, and minus about a 70 yard run, we didn't allow them to run the ball much at all.
Blocked punt for a TD. HORRIBLE.
Our special teams are an absolute mess. Kick coverage, punting, field goals, the on side kick, kicking it out of bounds, etc. We start at our 18, they start on their 40. Big difference.
Oh, and the officials were HORRIBLE. Just HORRIBLE. I am not even saying it was lopsided, it was just hard to watch. The refs thought they were bigger than the game. I don't want to know that there are officials at a game. Call a clean game and move on.
Preston Evans...what a leader. Plays with heart and emotion. Lets find 10 more of him and our defense would be rock solid. People feed off that energy.

Bottom line, I went into that game thinking it was over, and we were in trouble in the future. I left feeling we gave them all we wanted, our defense was much improved and we have a shot to run the table and give us real momentum.

Keep in mind, that UNI started 16 of 22 starters as Seniors. We started probably about 7 or so. I think we lose a few really good seniors, but a few that I think we have capable backups. UNI is built to win now, and honestly I hope they do. That will help the conference. We are playing a ton of kids. They are playing men. You can see the difference.

I am very excited about the future. I personally think we can maybe win out and shock SDSU. If you can continually run the ball, you can win games. Time to play more agressive (coaching) and play to win. Not to stay close.

i read the forum today and it kept mentioning all of their FBS transfers... from wisconsin, iowa, notre dame, bowling green... we need those. also what would it take to get a pat grace type QB? We're young and inexperienced and I agree, the future looks bright. Once this team gets some experience and cuts down on the mistakes we'll be pretty good. If we can get some good depth and develop our young players watch out in a couple years.

Kermit
10-12-2009, 12:58 AM
i read the forum today and it kept mentioning all of their FBS transfers... from wisconsin, iowa, notre dame, bowling green... we need those.

I would take the occasional transfer, but I don't want to see the Bison go the route to the extent that UNI has chosen. I would prefer HS recruits who will spend 4-5 years in the program. Too many transfers come with baggage (think Sydney Haynes).

56BISON73
10-12-2009, 01:11 AM
I would take the occasional transfer, but I don't want to see the Bison go the route to the extent that UNI has chosen. I would prefer HS recruits who will spend 4-5 years in the program. Too many transfers come with baggage (think Sydney Haynes).

We had plenty of players that didnt transfer that carried some baggage as of late. I dont think you can stereo type transfers. UNI seams to be doing very well with that strategy.

Kermit
10-12-2009, 01:18 AM
..We are playing a ton of kids. They are playing men. You can see the difference.

I am very excited about the future..

Good post. I agree with most of this. A couple other things:

*One of the places you could "see the difference" between these two teams was in the linebackers and secondary of the respective defenses. UNI was not just older and more experienced, they were MUCH bigger and more physically imposing.

*Kevin Jackson finally saw some action at CB and on special teams. Jackson and Josh Gatlin (when healthy) give us some ATHLETES in the secondary who can compete with some of the big WRs we see. We need some more.

*Paul Cornick did a very nice job filling in for Ebel at RT. After all the grief he took for the late penalty against Illinois State, he deserves some credit this week.

*Gratzek and Boyer played their butts off on the D-line.

*PP is a GREAT back, but DJ and Ojuri looked great, too.

*Nick Mertens played quite well and left his guts on the field. He was not among the most significant problems for the Bison in that game.

Kermit
10-12-2009, 01:29 AM
We had plenty of players that didnt transfer that carried some baggage as of late. I dont think you can stereo type transfers. UNI seams to be doing very well with that strategy.

1) Yes, we have had plenty of players with baggage. I want fewer. Also, I didn't say the Bison shouldn't take transfers. I just think we need to be selective and careful.

2) Don't take it personally. :)

3) UNI is not a program I particularly want to emulate.

BigBison
10-12-2009, 03:32 AM
Kinda funny actually; UNI won by ONLY 15 to one of the wrose Bison teams in history! LOL. In a big rebuilding year for us. Just wait till we get this team firing on all pistons, which might be a couple years. We need some FBS transfers like they have, I know they had one from Wiskey and Norte Dame, and I think from Iowa??

4mcruenomore
10-12-2009, 03:40 AM
Kinda funny actually; UNI won by ONLY 15 to one of the wrose Bison teams in history! LOL. In a big rebuilding year for us. Just wait till we get this team firing on all pistons, which might be a couple years. We need some FBS transfers like they have, I know they had one from Wiskey and Norte Dame, and I think from Iowa??

Exactly, and their trolls post about domination and tradition. They are so lucky that our 1990 team for example didn't play them, I'd say we hang 60 on them.

EightyfourBison
10-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we convert on a bunch of third and longs. That was refreshing to see.

stevdock
10-12-2009, 02:06 PM
UNI's one unit that I was extremely impressed with was their kickoff coverage. Granted they have lots of chances to practice during the game, but everyone of those 11 knew their job and performed very well. We switched Shamen, DJ, and Ojuri back there and it didn't matter who they kicked it to cause there were no holes to run through. Our coaches need to watch that group and get 11 Bison to do the exact same thing.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-12-2009, 02:49 PM
I totally agree with Burgundy I left there mad at first seeing how things went and thinking we could have pulled this game off. There were a ton of things I liked seeing and some that should be happening this late into the season. We're young and the young guys are getting experienced. The one thing that pissed me off is PUT IN MOHLER with 2 mins left down by 22, like they said on the radio we are recruiting against UNI and SDSU so they will be playing Mertens for both then after that prob start Mertens, then bring in Mohler for the 2nd half hope that happens.

stevdock
10-12-2009, 03:04 PM
You're right it is all about recruiting at this point. And if you pull Mertens (especially after his best game on Sat) at this point of the season, you are saying to those recruits we are going to use you the best we can, but if we get out of playoff contention in the last half of your senior season we've got to see what we have for next season, so you are out of here. You will not win recruiting battles if you start doing that stuff.

I will state once again, I believe Mertens is the best QB on the team because if Mohler was better he would be playing. Since he is not, there is no reason to give him time just to give him time. Mohler has to earn it and so far with what happened during the off season I've seen no reason to say he's earned more playing time.

bisondad
10-12-2009, 03:20 PM
"I will state once again, I believe Mertens is the best QB on the team because if Mohler was better he would be playing. Since he is not, there is no reason to give him time just to give him time. Mohler has to earn it and so far with what happened during the off season I've seen no reason to say he's earned more playing time."

I've got to agree wityh you on this. Just about seems impossible to me that the number two guy, whoever it is, has been that much worse. But, I can think of no other reason.

Kermit
10-12-2009, 03:25 PM
UNI's one unit that I was extremely impressed with was their kickoff coverage.

Great point. UNI's kickoff team had big, physically impressive athletes compared to ours. Same deal as the linebackers and secondary on defense.

KilldeerBison
10-12-2009, 03:47 PM

I think of the should-a, would-a, could-a, scenario, we left at least 24 points on the field against UNI, 2 missed FG, 1 TD called back, 1 TD pass dropped, 1 score of FG when it should have been a TD. Did I miss any? UNI is only a little bit better team than NDSU. If we put a game together in Brookings, look out, we will win! I know, it is a big "IF", but still if we do...

magiccitybisonguy
10-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Good post. I agree with most of this. A couple other things:

*One of the places you could "see the difference" between these two teams was in the linebackers and secondary of the respective defenses. UNI was not just older and more experienced, they were MUCH bigger and more physically imposing.

*Kevin Jackson finally saw some action at CB and on special teams. Jackson and Josh Gatlin (when healthy) give us some ATHLETES in the secondary who can compete with some of the big WRs we see. We need some more.

*Paul Cornick did a very nice job filling in for Ebel at RT. After all the grief he took for the late penalty against Illinois State, he deserves some credit this week.

*Gratzek and Boyer played their butts off on the D-line.

*PP is a GREAT back, but DJ and Ojuri looked great, too.

*Nick Mertens played quite well and left his guts on the field. He was not among the most significant problems for the Bison in that game.

Great post. I was at the game. I've only been to a couple of games in the last couple of years, and watched on TV when they're on and listen on the radio, so my views are often times swayed by what I read here on the forum. But after seeing them in person against UNI, I would agree with Kermit's post.

The size difference in the LB's and DB's was REALLY visible. And that showed with our inability to tackle once UNI got into our secondary. Speed is great, but if you catch a guy and can't get him to the ground, it's not worth anything.

Mertens ain't the problem. He was fine. And I agree with the talk that says if our 2nd stringer was that good, he'd be playing.

Overall, we had a good time at the game. Compared to the Indiana St. game we saw last year, this game had so much more fire and competition. UNI was just better. But not a lot better, and that was positive. I left the Fargodome in a better mood about the Bison than I had when I entered on Saturday.

We went to the UND hockey game Friday night and the Bison Saturday, so it was cool to compare and contrast EVERYTHING about the two events. Fans, venues, student sections, sound effects, bands, it was very cool to see both.

Keep the coaches. Winning cures all.

Gully
10-13-2009, 02:32 AM
Watching the game, I am encouraged. Considering UNI is a very good Senior dominated team and how young we are, we held our own. If anything, we were more physical....just didn't make enough plays (or field goals).

The pass interference was absolute garbage.....ugh, how could they call that.