PDA

View Full Version : Positives

AEBison1998
10-11-2009, 01:25 AM
There are negatives, but they are being captured on other threads. Here are a few positives:

-Certainly there were calls in the game that we'd like to have back, but I will say I was impressed by the offensive play calling in this game. I thought we mixed the run and the pass well and Mertens was more accurate than normal. We couldn't run inside and that is the reason we couldn't score in the red zone. I was pleased we didn't spend 2 1/2 quarters proving to ourselves that we can't run inside.

-I think Pierre (#31) the corner back is getting better. He is still getting beat on some plays, but he's in position. I think he's going to be a good player in the future. He also doesn't tackle well yet, but he was a QB in HS so that's probably new for him. We'll see.

-Jemmison also is starting to mix it up with the bigger players better. I saw him stick his nose in there with the chubby guys a few times today and drag a guy down.

-We had some of our best pressure on the QB today and we did it against probably the best O-Line we have played against.

-#44, #70 (love those guys)

-Ojuri looks like he is goofing around out there and he's still picking up 10 yards. He always looks like he's jogging. Anybody else think he looks half speed as he runs past people? I can't figure this out....but I like it.

-For the most part Mertens had good protection from a very talented D-Line. This was not the same clinic that we had to sit through last year on their D-line owning us.

bisonmike2
10-11-2009, 01:28 AM
I loved actually seeing our guys hitting the QB before, during and after he threw the ball.

DjKyRo
10-11-2009, 01:30 AM
I like looking at the positives, and you bring up a lot of good ones. Ojuri is going to be one hell of a back WHEN he gets the starting job, be it next season or the year after, or whenever. Between he, Sigers, DJ, and Voit behind the ball next season, I think our running game is going to be EXCELSIOR!

Our defense made some big strides tonight too, particularly with that blocked punt-turned-touchdown. Absolute hustle from a ton of different players on that play and that's what it takes to play good defense. Gratzek was a total beast tonight with two sacks and 1 FF, and recovering it gave the offense the ammo they needed right when they needed - they just couldn't pull the trigger on the other side of the ball.

Overall, I think we had a lot of good showings from young players (obviously[...]including Gratzek since he's a [correction: junior! woot]) tonight and it gets me excited for next season.

Jay
10-11-2009, 01:34 AM
Tailgating today was still a success!

heckler
10-11-2009, 01:35 AM
Tailgating today was still a success!

:nod: :nod: :nod: could not agree more!

4mcruenomore
10-11-2009, 01:36 AM
For as empty the seats were, it sounded loud on TV and we got them to do some false starts. I think it looked good on TV, eh.

DjKyRo
10-11-2009, 01:38 AM
For as empty the seats were, it sounded loud on TV and we got them to do some false starts. I think it looked good on TV, eh.

Agreed - got to give credit to the fans that did show up today, there were a few times when it sure sounded like 18k were packed in the dome.

4mcruenomore
10-11-2009, 01:39 AM
Agreed - got to give credit to the fans that did show up today, there were a few times when it sure sounded like 18k were packed in the dome.

Harmon Kardon combined with a 15" powered CW sub and standing speakers with 2x12" on the 52" HD helped too, LOL. But it was awesome anyways!

bisonmike2
10-11-2009, 01:41 AM
what was the announced attendance?

4mcruenomore
10-11-2009, 01:42 AM

good question

DjKyRo
10-11-2009, 01:42 AM
good question

I don't remember it being called, but I'd guess the 14-15k range.

4mcruenomore
10-11-2009, 01:43 AM
I don't remember it being called, but I'd guess the 14-15k range.

I came from getting a beer and it was on screen, I want to say it said 15,800 something?????? eh, who knows.

NDSUstudent
10-11-2009, 01:46 AM

Something like 16,100.

4mcruenomore
10-11-2009, 01:48 AM
Something like 16,100.

Like it matters, no one actually cheers or cares. At homecoming we actually had a sleeping baby in section 19 and I was told to sit down 3 times or face ejection. Seriously people. Has anyone in Fargo that goes to the games ever watched LSU or Michigan play on TV atleast? People actually stand and cheer, they don't sit at a college football game with a sleeping baby and bitch when I say the Fbomb.

HerdBot
10-11-2009, 02:52 AM
There are negatives, but they are being captured on other threads. Here are a few positives:

-Certainly there were calls in the game that we'd like to have back, but I will say I was impressed by the offensive play calling in this game. I thought we mixed the run and the pass well and Mertens was more accurate than normal. We couldn't run inside and that is the reason we couldn't score in the red zone. I was pleased we didn't spend 2 1/2 quarters proving to ourselves that we can't run inside.

-I think Pierre (#31) the corner back is getting better. He is still getting beat on some plays, but he's in position. I think he's going to be a good player in the future. He also doesn't tackle well yet, but he was a QB in HS so that's probably new for him. We'll see.

-Jemmison also is starting to mix it up with the bigger players better. I saw him stick his nose in there with the chubby guys a few times today and drag a guy down.

-We had some of our best pressure on the QB today and we did it against probably the best O-Line we have played against.

-#44, #70 (love those guys)

-Ojuri looks like he is goofing around out there and he's still picking up 10 yards. He always looks like he's jogging. Anybody else think he looks half speed as he runs past people? I can't figure this out....but I like it.

-For the most part Mertens had good protection from a very talented D-Line. This was not the same clinic that we had to sit through last year on their D-line owning us.

Overall I expected to lose and we did but we actually didn't play that bad. In fact and the score is not indicitive of how well we played. We put up 500 yards of offense and won every statistical category, except points. Against a great team you have to get points in the red zone and we got 2 picks and 2 missed field goals. We also couldn't convert a 1st and goal at the 1 and had to settle for 3. UNI showed their veteran savvy and got all TD's. Take away their 70 yard run by UNI that looked like a LB who left his gap, and it's a huge difference.

If we had some good play by the QB in the redzone, we probably would have won this game.

The young guys are making some progress and will continue to get better. We're not THAT far off from UNI. Next year they lose a ton and we get better.

NDSUstudent
10-11-2009, 02:55 AM
Overall I expected to lose and we did but we actually didn't play that bad. In fact and the score is not indicitive of how well we played. We put up 500 yards of offense and won every statistical category, except points. Against a great team you have to get points in the red zone and we got 2 picks and 2 missed field goals. We also couldn't convert a 1st and goal at the 1 and had to settle for 3. UNI showed their veteran savvy and got all TD's. Take away their 70 yard run by UNI that looked like a LB who left his gap, and it's a huge difference.

If we had some good play by the QB in the redzone, we probably would have won this game.

The young guys are making some progress and will continue to get better. We're not THAT far off from UNI. Next year they lose a ton and we get better.

I don't know if I would put all of our redzone woes on the QB, there were some bad drops and horrible penalties.

HerdBot
10-11-2009, 03:05 AM
I don't know if I would put all of our redzone woes on the QB, there were some bad drops and horrible penalties.

The 2 picks were Mertens fault. The 2 missed field goals were the kickers fault. Not getting a TD with 1st and goal at the 1 is the offensive coordinators fault. The fact that we had field goal attempts instead of TD's is partially receiver, qb, and everyone for stupid penalties.

spelunker64
10-11-2009, 04:00 AM
It was a 'whale of a game' too. So at least Bohl got that right... :)

roadwarrior
10-11-2009, 04:01 AM
And since UNI won the coin flip, we'll never know if Bohl would have followed through with his promise that we would take the ball instead of defer.

4mcruenomore
10-11-2009, 04:04 AM
And since UNI won the coin flip, we'll never know if Bohl would have followed through with his promise that we would take the ball instead of defer.

He is not aggressive, he's full of B.S. right now as far as I'm concerned. Myron is more aggressive than him, and that's not saying much.

BlueBisonRock
10-11-2009, 07:16 AM
Back to positives per the title of this thread (... some peoples kids! ...)

Both SD and TA demonstrated sincere and effective leadership in motivating the Section 21 (and nearby sections) crowd with their continual standing and cheering. These guys were possessed!

I personally appreciated a few of their louder comments regarding the drop the hanky :banghead: effort by our esteemed MVFC crew.

Kudos to both!!! :bow:

MPLSbisonFAN
10-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Our runnning game is still going

Bisonfan1
10-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Back to positives per the title of this thread (... some peoples kids! ...)

Both SD and TA demonstrated sincere and effective leadership in motivating the Section 21 (and nearby sections) crowd with their continual standing and cheering. These guys were possessed!

I personally appreciated a few of their louder comments regarding the drop the hanky :banghead: effort by our esteemed MVFC crew.

Kudos to both!!! :bow:

And for the first time in a long time, we had one of Fargo's finest eyeballing us right in front of our section the whole 4th Qtr. Dont know if that action came from a complaint or what, but he was chucklin down there for the most part. So I didnt see any additional security at section 20, so the score is SECTION 21 - 1, Section 20 (0) ZERO !!!

Bisonfan1
10-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Another positive is that SDBison was able to get to the "dip N dots" stand before they ran out !! :nod:

A1pigskin
10-11-2009, 02:51 PM
QB sack finally....

walknroehl
10-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah I thought the crowd was one of the most hostile crowds I have ever seen at the dome. The entire dome was booing some of those BS penalties.

Definitely a hostile environment for a team to come play in as evidenced by Pat Graces quote of "an intense game."

yippie
10-11-2009, 03:04 PM
The biggest positive i saw during the game was for one of the first times this year the bison team played with heart and passion, seeing guys playing with bison pride makes it easier to swallow.

tjbison
10-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Confidence, QB sack, 3rd down conversions

the little crowd that showed and stayed did good IMO

CaBisonFan
10-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Reps to EAB for posting this. :nod: :nod: ....:cool:

BUMP

runtheoption
10-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Yeah I thought the crowd was one of the most hostile crowds I have ever seen at the dome. The entire dome was booing some of those BS penalties.

Definitely a hostile environment for a team to come play in as evidenced by Pat Graces quote of "an intense game."

Agree completely. It was pretty empty in the Dome, but those that were there were really into the game. I thought the noise level was pretty good when UNI had the ball.

gizmo
10-12-2009, 07:17 PM
The biggest positive i saw during the game was for one of the first times this year the bison team played with heart and passion, seeing guys playing with bison pride makes it easier to swallow.

I totally agree. The winning streak will soon begin!

GO BISON!!!