PDA

View Full Version : WTF Coaching Decisions

onbison09
10-10-2009, 09:38 PM
We might as well make a thread to count these for the rest of the year.
When we down at the 3 and called a TO after 1st down you gotta have 2 plays ready to call. We didn't, had to burn a stupid TO and then we had to throw on 3rd down. WTF? :banghead:

EndZoneQB
10-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Mertens should NOT be allowed to throw anymore. His mechanics are almost completely side arm at this point. His passes have hit the turf, helmets, and just been off target. I don't know what his stats are, nor do I care, but there is NO way he can do anything other than run the veer/option for us. He has had a couple big drops from Veldman and Holloway, but even his screen passes to Paschall 3 yards downfield are at the waist/knees. We will never compete unless we get a real QB behind center. Bottomline, like it or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On topic with what you are saying, we needed the 7 points(aka worth going for it on 4th down), and not the 3. It was a terrible decision to try a pass that was 5 yards behind ANY receiver. Absolutely pitiful. If we had an accurate pass, we could have had the 7, easily!

IzzyFlexion
10-10-2009, 09:57 PM
The pass to Vandal in the 1st Q pissed me off too. He (lee) had some sweet real estate in front of him but never had a chance to use it.

Kevin
10-10-2009, 11:34 PM
I don't know which was worse the coaches, the refs, or the secondary.

bisonbills
10-11-2009, 12:03 AM
I don't know which was worse the coaches, the refs, or the secondary.

The refs. That was awful. I have nothing left to say other that UNI got handed a win today.

80ALUM
10-11-2009, 12:08 AM
The refs. That was awful. I have nothing left to say other that UNI got handed a win today.

Are the refs worse this year than in the past or does it just seem so because we are having a terrible season?

MPLSbisonFAN
10-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Mertens should NOT be allowed to throw anymore. His mechanics are almost completely side arm at this point. His passes have hit the turf, helmets, and just been off target. I don't know what his stats are, nor do I care, but there is NO way he can do anything other than run the veer/option for us. He has had a couple big drops from Veldman and Holloway, but even his screen passes to Paschall 3 yards downfield are at the waist/knees. We will never compete unless we get a real QB behind center. Bottomline, like it or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On topic with what you are saying, we needed the 7 points(aka worth going for it on 4th down), and not the 3. It was a terrible decision to try a pass that was 5 yards behind ANY receiver. Absolutely pitiful. If we had an accurate pass, we could have had the 7, easily!

Smart stuff hear........I like

*Bisonrube
10-11-2009, 12:16 AM
We might as well make a thread to count these for the rest of the year.
When we down at the 3 and called a TO after 1st down you gotta have 2 plays ready to call. We didn't, had to burn a stupid TO and then we had to throw on 3rd down. WTF? :banghead:

+++ I yelled that exact same thing, how the hell do you not know to call two plays.

**Coaching is killing us(and our horrible kicker)..how long does it take a coaching staff to figure out that the Punting formation scheme is idiotic? It has been really effective.

**I lost count at 8 play action pass plays thrown to the TE or FB for 0-2 yds. WTF You might as well hike the ball and just spike it.

**Take a shot deep...(no, we have a great 0 yd pattern we will run)

**Play action on 3rd and long...doesn't work. Just let your QB keep his eyes downfield.

Poor coaching...kicking. BUT, really good effort from the players and especially the Defense...Defensive scheme was much improved from last week.

Bison"FANatic"
10-11-2009, 12:26 AM
I have a short time to post here as I am heading out but my WTF was the end of the 1st half and it is second down and we call time out. How can you not call 2 plays in the time out huddle so you don't have be forced to use your last time out, thus forcing a pass on 3rd down if we want to have a chance to score the field goal. I was talking to the guy next to me and saying they better be calling two plays but no we look like a JV team that does not know what they were doing. That was my coaching WTF.

56BISON73
10-11-2009, 12:50 AM
I have a short time to post here as I am heading out but my WTF was the end of the 1st half and it is second down and we call time out. How can you not call 2 plays in the time out huddle so you don't have be forced to use your last time out, thus forcing a pass on 3rd down if we want to have a chance to score the field goal. I was talking to the guy next to me and saying they better be calling two plays but no we look like a JV team that does not know what they were doing. That was my coaching WTF.

This is the third game in a row that this issue has reared its ugly head. This falls on the coaches.

NDSUstudent
10-11-2009, 01:14 AM
My WTF falls on last week. We ran this scheme against both SIU and UNI, if we would have played this aggressively last week we would have had a W.

That said, Breske is making progress with the defense, the D-line was much improved and it looked like they were actually on the same page. There are still coverage and tackling issues but it was a thousand times better than either Ill St and SHSU.

DjKyRo
10-11-2009, 01:26 AM
I think you have to give Vigen and Breske what credit is due for making the most with what they've got, but between injuries and other stuff we're just too thin at too many positions and that shows in a 1-5 record. I'd say give Breske a break, give mad props to Vigen for making our offense look at least halfway respectable and for mixing some slick moves into the overall scheme.

That said, I'm really starting to question Bohl's mindset in the game atmosphere. Too many coaching calls were total "WTF?!" ones tonight and at SIU, and there is an obivous lack of team discipline going down. I'd say if he can't prove to us he deserves the HC job with what he's got left of this season, he gets canned. We put too much work into this stuff to have the football team go and ruin our show. :D

HooliganBison
10-11-2009, 04:10 AM
My gripes in no particular order

1. 1st and goal at the 1. qb sneak? giving it to the leading fcs running back? clock management? Tell the boys you have 4 running plays to get it into the endzone so man the F up and knock them off the ball?

2. Roll out punt block. Seriously! WTF?, did anyone else notice he looked like he wanted to pass before punting into the guys chest?

3. Not throwing the deep ball. You have to at least take a chance once a game.

4. Play action on clear passing downs. Just let him drop back and scan the field at the same time.

5. Play action roll out with only 1 option. There were a few times where he rolled out and had 1 guy to pass to. If you have to make it that simple just run a qb sweep.

6. Leaving points in the redzone. I have been saying this for the last 3 seasons. Honestly. If you start looking back at games we have done this all too often. I swear sometimes we just outthink ourselves.

roadwarrior
10-11-2009, 04:14 AM

1. 1st and goal at the 1.

QB sneak, QB sneak, QB sneak. Mertens is very capable of getting in the end zone.

steelbison
10-11-2009, 04:49 AM
QB sneak, QB sneak, QB sneak. Mertens is very capable of getting in the end zone.

exactly..I would have ran four QB sneaks in a row...if they stopped it then we werent good enough...that was very puzzling.

The play action on 3rd and long has to STOP!!! Also our QB is not good at the short pass..so quit throwing them...much more effective down the field.

Also the 0-2 yard passes are old!!!! Also..please take a couple of deep shots against man coverage on the outside when we have it!!!

What I liked about the game..O-line gave our QB time to throw against a very good UNI d-line..got our TE back into the game plan..D-line played better. Mertens played the BEST he's ever played....j

The whole team played hard...that was good to see...wish we would have played that hard all year...we wouldn't be 1-5..

I do believe we can beat the Jacks...Have to stop the run bigtime and just keep running like we do!!

*Bisonrube
10-11-2009, 07:24 AM

1. 1st and goal at the 1. qb sneak? giving it to the leading fcs running back? clock management? Tell the boys you have 4 running plays to get it into the endzone so man the F up and knock them off the ball?

2. Roll out punt block. Seriously! WTF?, did anyone else notice he looked like he wanted to pass before punting into the guys chest?

4. Play action on clear passing downs. Just let him drop back and scan the field at the same time.

5. Play action roll out with only 1 option. There were a few times where he rolled out and had 1 guy to pass to. If you have to make it that simple just run a qb sweep.

6. Leaving points in the redzone. I have been saying this for the last 3 seasons. Honestly. If you start looking back at games we have done this all too often. I swear sometimes we just outthink ourselves.

YES, YES...exactly what I have been saying!! I was hoping that I wasn't the only one seeing these obvious areas!! Now how in the F do we get Bohl to notice??

(you did forget the 8-10 passing plays we ran during the game that are designed to pass to a FB or TE that gain us 0-2 yds...just spike the ball if you want to waste the down)

GO BISON!!

NorthernBison
10-11-2009, 12:47 PM

We did do a QB sneak. Oh wait, that was at our own 1 yard line on first and 10. Eventually turned into a good drive so maybe that was coaching genius.

bisonmike2
10-11-2009, 12:55 PM

great points. those are all my concerns as well. I really had a problem with the QB sneak on the one. They ran that spin around QB dive. It takes alot of time to develop and it's on film because we've ran it in every game this year. Why not just tell him to go straight ahead? If that doesn't work then on 2nd and 3rd and 4th downs we have the best RB in the country, use him! Settling for a fg is f'ing stupid. Your a huge underdog, against a top ranked team in your own house and the season is lost. Why the hell do you settle for a fg? And let's not forget that no matter where we are on the field, with our kicker there are no guaranteed points.

AllAboutBisonPride
10-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Smart stuff hear........I like

Kind of ironic you misuse the word hear in place of here, i agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments however.