PDA

View Full Version : Mohler

Bison06
10-10-2009, 04:11 PM
I think we can all agree that we won't be making the playoffs this year. With that said, Coach Bohl knows Jose(or Jensen, but he is redshirted) is the quarterback of the future and needs to get him some experience before next year. At what point this season does he pull the plug on Mertens and go with Jose? No smack about Mertens, please. We have beaten that conversation to death. When do you actually think Jose starts seeing the field on a consistent basis this year?

NDSUstudent
10-10-2009, 04:19 PM
I think we can all agree that we won't be making the playoffs this year. With that said, Coach Bohl knows Jose(or Jensen, but he is redshirted) is the quarterback of the future and needs to get him some experience before next year. At what point this season does he pull the plug on Mertens and go with Jose? No smack about Mertens, please. We have beaten that conversation to death. When do you actually think Jose starts seeing the field on a consistent basis this year?

I'd look for him to see more time after the SDSU game. The schedule gets much softer and it would allow Mohler to ease into things a bit. He should be up to speed by then as well, his DUI put him quite a bit behind.

That said, if Mertens turns it around, who knows what could happen.

spelunker64
10-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Indiana State

56BISON73
10-10-2009, 04:21 PM

Question--WHY does he need to get experience?
Heres the deal. The coach and the team arent giving up. They want the best possible season that they can and they arent going to lose a few games just so some back ups can get some playing time and playcate some fans.
Again I will repeat this. There are literaly thousands of players who dont get much playing time. But when its their turn they step up and take advantage of the opportunity. Many teams have players that didnt play the year before and they do just fine.
Unless Mertens stinks the place up or we get way ahead I dont see Jose getting alot of playing time.

Bison06
10-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Heres the deal. The coach and the team arent giving up. They want the best possible season that they can and they arent going to lose a few games just so some back ups can get some playing time and playcate some fans.
Again I will repeat this. There are literaly thousands of players who dont get much playing time. But when its their turn they step up and take advantage of the opportunity. Many teams have players that didnt play the year before and they do just fine.
Unless Mertens stinks the place up or we get way ahead I dont see Jose getting alot of playing time.

Well that's one way to look at it, I choose a different approach. This season is all but lost. Obviously the coaches think that Mertens gives us the best chance to win this year, otherwise Jose would be playing. With that said, coaches have been wrong before(See Stauss/Walker). I say play Jose, not because I think Mertens sucks, because I don't. I think that if we have a basically unknown commidity, in terms of game playing time, with Jose AND he is going to most likely be the starter next year, than it is time to play him and see if he can spark the team.

56BISON73
10-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Well that's one way to look at it, I choose a different approach. This season is all but lost. Obviously the coaches think that Mertens gives us the best chance to win this year, otherwise Jose would be playing. With that said, coaches have been wrong before(See Stauss/Walker). I say play Jose, not because I think Mertens sucks, because I don't. I think that if we have a basically unknown commidity, in terms of game playing time, with Jose AND he is going to most likely be the starter next year, than it is time to play him and see if he can spark the team.

I can understand your point of view. But if I were to play Jose it wouldnt be for next year. It would be to see if a change of chemistry would spark this years team. Its not that Mertens is doing a terrible job. Its just that some times a change in personel at critical postions can sometimes do wonders for a team.

Bison06
10-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Well, whether the reason is for sparking the team this year or to prepare for next year, I think Jose needs to start seeing the field a little more consistently.

bisonhp330
10-10-2009, 05:16 PM
how about if Mertens would have been put in earlier on some of the Walker blow outs....maybe there would have been some foresight that he wasn't the future of the Bison.
You still put the best players on the field right now to win, for some reason we don't know, Coach Bohl feels Mertens must be that person. I think if we get down in the game- roll Jose in.
Maybe the coaches see already that Jose isn't the future either...........

56BISON73
10-10-2009, 05:19 PM
how about if Mertens would have been put in earlier on some of the Walker blow outs....maybe there would have been some foresight that he wasn't the future of the Bison.
You still put the best players on the field right now to win, for some reason we don't know, Coach Bohl feels Mertens must be that person. I think if we get down in the game- roll Jose in.
Maybe the coaches see already that Jose isn't the future either...........

Ahh that there could be the rub.

bisonmike2
10-10-2009, 05:26 PM
we're seriously boned at the QB position. It would be nice to see Moheler play just to see how bad we're going to be boned next year. Mertens has no business playing right now. 50% completion rate for just over 100 yards every game is not enough for this team to win. Jose might not be any better, but he couldn't be any worse.

A1pigskin
10-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Could today be the day we see Jose play?????

bisonmike2
10-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Could today be the day we see Jose play?????

it may not be a matter of if, but when. if the game gets out of hand I hope the coaches but him in.

CaBisonFan
10-10-2009, 07:56 PM

When hell freezes over...3 weeks ago.

KTF
10-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Why didn't BOhl put in Mohler in with 2 minutes left to go and their down by 22. Come on give him sometime. What a waste of valuable experience....

Wally
10-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Knowing Bohl, no other quarterback will play until we are in Lawrence, Kansas on Sept 4, 2010

KTF
10-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Knowing Bohl, no other quarterback will play until we are in Lawrence, Kansas on Sept 4, 2010

maybe with a new coach as well... ;-)

Wally
10-10-2009, 11:43 PM
maybe with a new coach as well... ;-)

Great point!

MPLSbisonFAN
10-11-2009, 12:03 AM

I agree completly agree with the question posted hear. It should not even be about getting Jose experience. He should be playing because he's capable and the starter is not getting it done.

56BISON73
10-11-2009, 12:55 AM
I agree completly agree with the question posted hear. It should not even be about getting Jose experience. He should be playing because he's capable and the starter is not getting it done.

How do you know this?????