PDA

View Full Version : Mike Breske Defensive Coordinator

JACKRABBITFAN
10-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Being an SDSU alum, I suspect I might be opening the biggest can of worms on the market by asking thoughts about your D coordinator. Mike was a very good football player at SDSU. His dad was also a very good running fullback way back in the Ralph Ginn era for the Jacks, so I am interested.

Mike teamed up with USD grad Joe Glenn and won two D2 championships at UNC. In fact Breske was a candidate for head coach at SDSU when Mike Daly resigned in 1996. In fact they had to delay Coach Stig's hiring because UNC was in the playoffs and SDSU wanted to interview Breske, who made such a bad impression with his tabacco chewing that there was no choice but Stig.Without a doubt we made the right choice in 1996.

Breske in my opinion is a pretty much a defensive coach and as said helped win two championships at UNC and also complimented Joe Glenn at both Montana and Wyoming. I honestly did not feel good when he was hired at NDSU, as I thought he build on what was already in place. So far that does not show to be true in the win and loss column. Is it a talent gap or is the coaching less than what you had under Graza? Has Breske made changes which the players are still learning?

BTW Garza apparently was very capable being he is now at Tennessee. Definitely a promotion careerwise.

Everyone is jumping on Bohl, but he has a staff of which he hired who probably should get the credit when things go good and blame when they go bad. In my opinion and Coach Stig would agree, its the staff that do the work and often get less credit when a victory is bagged and Coach Stig seldom mentions his staff when thing go bad as they did against Cal Poly. I heard or read no negatives about Breske by Coach Bohl. At the end of the season a number of things will be evaluated at NDSU as other places.

Any thoughts?

CaBisonFan
10-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Being an SDSU alum, I suspect I might be opening the biggest can of worms on the market by asking thoughts about your D coordinator. Mike was a very good football player at SDSU. His dad was also a very good running fullback way back in the Ralph Ginn era for the Jacks, so I am interested.

Mike teamed up with USD grad Joe Glenn and won two D2 championships at UNC. In fact Breske was a candidate for head coach at SDSU when Mike Daly resigned in 1996. In fact they had to delay Coach Stig's hiring because UNC was in the playoffs and SDSU wanted to interview Breske, who made such a bad impression with his tabacco chewing that there was no choice but Stig.Without a doubt we made the right choice in 1996.

Breske in my opinion is a pretty much a defensive coach and as said helped win two championships at UNC and also complimented Joe Glenn at both Montana and Wyoming. I honestly did not feel good when he was hired at NDSU, as I thought he build on what was already in place. So far that does not show to be true in the win and loss column. Is it a talent gap or is the coaching less than what you had under Graza? Has Breske made changes which the players are still learning?

BTW Garza apparently was very capable being he is now at Tennessee. Definitely a promotion careerwise.

Everyone is jumping on Bohl, but he has a staff of which he hired who probably should get the credit when things go good and blame when they go bad. In my opinion and Coach Stig would agree, its the staff that do the work and often get less credit when a victory is bagged and Coach Stig seldom mentions his staff when thing go bad as they did against Cal Poly. I heard or read no negatives about Breske by Coach Bohl. At the end of the season a number of things will be evaluated at NDSU as other places.

Any thoughts?

Mike Daly was an outstanding assistant at NDSU, and was a top candidate to take over the head coaching job, but timing became a problem because of other commitments that he had made with another job. I always wondered why SDSU didn't support him. Seriously...he wanted lights at Coughlin and it became a huge political thing. I was living in Brookings at the time. It was laughable...but sad.

Garza is one of the best coaches that we've had at NDSU. Tough spot to fill. But that's the way it has always been at NDSU. We attract, and lose, outstanding coaches on a consistent basis. 'Tis the price of success over the long-haul. Breske has his work cut out for him. We're young, thin, talented at some spots, and injured.

bisonhusker
10-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I have a thought. He is coaching a bad team right now. He has bad defensive players and you may want to give him more time to figure it out. Coaches of his ability don't forget how to coach. He has limited talent to work with. Two starting LB's are done. He is using a RB at LB who has never played defense. He is starting another true freshman and the DB's are all either hurt or not good enough. Stig has SDSU on the right track, but has yet to win a big game. PERIOD. You can say you made the right hire in 1996 by not taking Breske, but I think Stig's record has been posted on here before. If you want 6 wins, Coach Stig is your guy.

As with anything, you have to give him at least two years. THis is not his mess. He gave up 24 points to a ranked team on the road against SIU. His defense is smoke and mirrors at this point as he does not have the groceries to cook the meal (Thank you Bill Parcells).

Someone want to post Stig's record? Since they want to come on our board and pick on our new hire? Great, you are better than us this year. Congrats. Don't get used to it. We have a tradition and we will be back. Sooner than later.

Bison"FANatic"
10-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Garza was a big loss. I believe he got the most out of his players. I am willing to give Breske one more year and see what kind of recruiting he can do and what he does with this team. Heck it can't go down, I don't think I have ever seen a Bison D play this bad.

bisonhusker
10-06-2009, 02:23 PM
I am glad that SDSU didn't hire Breske as well. While he was winning the national title.....

STIEGELMEIER YEAR-BY-YEAR

YEAR OVERALL CONF
1997 4-6 3-6
1998 6-5 5-4
1999 8-3 6-3
2000 6-5 4-5
2001 5-6 4-4
2002 6-4 4-4
2003 7-4 4-3
2004 6-5 2-3
2005 6-5 2-3
2006 7-4 3-1
2007 7-4 4-0
2008 7-5 6-2

JACKRABBITFAN
10-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I have a thought. He is coaching a bad team right now. He has bad defensive players and you may want to give him more time to figure it out. Coaches of his ability don't forget how to coach. He has limited talent to work with. Two starting LB's are done. He is using a RB at LB who has never played defense. He is starting another true freshman and the DB's are all either hurt or not good enough. Stig has SDSU on the right track, but has yet to win a big game. PERIOD. You can say you made the right hire in 1996 by not taking Breske, but I think Stig's record has been posted on here before. If you want 6 wins, Coach Stig is your guy.

As with anything, you have to give him at least two years. THis is not his mess. He gave up 24 points to a ranked team on the road against SIU. His defense is smoke and mirrors at this point as he does not have the groceries to cook the meal (Thank you Bill Parcells).

Someone want to post Stig's record? Since they want to come on our board and pick on our new hire? Great, you are better than us this year. Congrats. Don't get used to it. We have a tradition and we will be back. Sooner than later.

Hey I was just stating what I knew to be true. I was not picking on Breske, but if he had wanted he job at SDSU, he sure did not show it during his interviews at SDSU. I suppose he had issues with alma mater but that his choice. I suspect too though that maybe Breske had issues about salary and was probably going to do better in the future following Joe Glenn. I suspect too, that Mike preceived that Stig was going to get the job in the end and he got a free trip back to Brookings if nothing else.

I do thank you for your comments. I do like Breske as a coach and I did not see anything negative on this board and so far some knowledge Bison fans such as yourself have spoken your thoughts. I said on the SDSUFans.com board that I would not count a NDSU victory this year until the game results are in the books.

Mike Daly was a very good coach, but he could not win the big ones either, but again I would agree SDSU has traditonally accepted average results. Our relativeely new president might have a different outlook, who knows. SDSU has spread itself thin with having 21 sports and you compare that with 15 or so at NDSU, and the resources are more available in such sports as football, but that all water under the bridge.

Looking forward to Oct 17th.

JacksFan06
10-06-2009, 02:30 PM

1) As far as winning a big game, how about beating a 10-0 NDSU team for the conference championship for starters.
2) I believe we've been better than NDSU going on for a third season this season and will probably be better than you next year too.
3)Stig's record for what it's worth is 78-57. Not overly impressive, but consistent for over ten years for a program that was notoriously mediocre.

As far as Breske goes, I agree that it's not his fault. He didn't recruit the players playing, he's just trying to play with the hand he's been dealt and that hand is short on face cards. It probably doesn't help that he is used to running a 3-4 and right now he is running a cover 2.

CaBisonFan
10-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Mike Daly was a very good coach, but he could not win the big ones either, but again I would agree SDSU has traditonally accepted average results. Our relativeely new president might have a different outlook, who knows. SDSU has spread itself thin with having 21 sports and you compare that with 15 or so at NDSU, and the resources are more available in such sports as football, but that all water under the bridge.

I saw how SDSU supported Mike Daly...:cool:

We play UNI this weekend.

Notorious
10-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I saw how SDSU supported Mike Daly...:cool:

We play UNI this weekend.

...was it bad?...like how we are treating Bohl & Co. ?????????

CaBisonFan
10-06-2009, 02:39 PM
1) As far as winning a big game, how about beating a 10-0 NDSU team for the conference championship for starters.

That's one.

We don't stand a chance this year or next. You read it here folks.

bisonmike2
10-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Breske's track record speaks for itself. Right now I don't think he has the players, through injuries and bad recruiting, to run the defense he wants to. He gets a pass from me this year and probably next.

CaBisonFan
10-06-2009, 02:40 PM
...was it bad?...like how we are treating Bohl & Co. ?????????

It wasn't like our situation. Not enough people cared. He didn't get support from day-one. Basic things weren't provided...from the start.

CaBisonFan
10-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Breske's track record speaks for itself. Right now I don't think we has the players, through injuries and bad recruiting, to run the defense he wants to. He gets a pass from me this year and probably next.

I agree with this.

stevdock
10-06-2009, 03:15 PM
How much of a pass should he really get though?? We still haven't been able to defend the spread EVER. When I see the entire D Line and at least 1 LB going after the Dive and leaving the QB wide open, that is just poor planning for the spread in my opinion. They did this the entire game against ILSU.

If I were UNI all I would need to run is 2 plays against our defense right now, because I see huge faults in the scheme. Play 1: Option Dive RB or Sweep QB. Play 2: The Bubble Screen.

JACKRABBITFAN
10-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. Stig might not have the wins that we would like to have at SDSU, but I can only say great things for the recruits that he brought in the last five years and the number of good hires for assistants. Many assistants moved on because of $$$$.

Would Breske done a better job? With winning I don't know as if you only know how to build a defense system and have no experience in other parts of coaching, Mr Breske would have a real learning curve if he had been selected as head coach at SDSU and could he delegate? We will never know the answer to these thoughts unless Breske becomes a head coach.

NDSU hired Breske as your D cooindator and you got a good fit. I was more curious about his role in the bad start this season. Those who are patient and thoughtful have expressed yourself in a correct manner. I do think Breske probably inherited a empty cupboard(How many NFL prospects from the Bison D side?) and has made the best of what he has had this year. The season is not over yet. SDSU is still an unplayed game and that is scary. Good luck to the Bison on Oct 17th.

WYOBISONMAN
10-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Breske's track record speaks for itself. Right now I don't think he has the players, through injuries and bad recruiting, to run the defense he wants to. He gets a pass from me this year and probably next.

I agree with that. I have watched Breske here in Wyoming and can say that whether WYO was up or down (and it was mostly down), WYO always was solid on defense. Now, after 3 quarters of inept play by the offense, the D would get wore down. But, Breske was an exceptional coordinator here. I think we may be very short sighted if we dumped him given his past track record.

heckler
10-06-2009, 06:57 PM
I agree with that. I have watched Breske here in Wyoming and can say that whether WYO was up or down (and it was mostly down), WYO always was solid on defense. Now, after 3 quarters of inept play by the offense, the D would get wore down. But, Breske was an exceptional coordinator here. I think we may be very short sighted if we dumped him given his past track record.

Not trying to start anything I just want to know... since he was an exceptional coordinator why is he here? Wouldn't he be at a FBS school? I tried looking on wiki or online for some info but it is limited.

Mandan_Herd_Fan
10-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Any thought that Bohl hired Breske because he wants to switch to a 3-4 in the future, when he has the personnel?

56BISON73
10-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Not trying to start anything I just want to know... since he was an exceptional coordinator why is he here? Wouldn't he be at a FBS school? I tried looking on wiki or online for some info but it is limited.

I think that is a broad stroke generalization-rationalization. If your statement were to be true then all of the coaches who have ever been in or are in the NFL wouldnt have coached at NDSU. You are implying that they arent exceptional because they coached here?????

WYOBISONMAN
10-06-2009, 07:05 PM

He really got caught up in the Joe Glenn mess. Joe is the kind of guy that needs to work for the Cowboy Joe Club, The Foundation, or somewhere stroking folks for money. He is not a good coach. When Glenn was canned, Breske got dumped with him. I think that WYO is an obscure enough program that Breske was under the radar of a lot of folks and all they saw was the Glenn mess. Bohl must have liked what he saw in WYO and picked him up. If you know anyone that is into Cowboy football, ask them about Breske. I would suspect almost all would have very positive things to say about him during an otherwise dark time in Cowboy Football.

heckler
10-06-2009, 07:09 PM
He really got caught up in the Joe Glenn mess. Joe is the kind of guy that needs to work for the Cowboy Joe Club, The Foundation, or somewhere stroking folks for money. He is not a good coach. When Glenn was canned, Breske got dumped with him. I think that WYO is an obscure enough program that Breske was under the radar of a lot of folks and all they saw was the Glenn mess. Bohl must have liked what he saw in WYO and picked him up. If you know anyone that is into Cowboy football, ask them about Breske. I would suspect almost all would have very positive things to say about him during an otherwise dark time in Cowboy Football.

Thanks just wanted to know some info on him. I didn't know enough about him to make a decision either way but I do know he hasn't had enough time here at NDSU to fire him.

heckler
10-06-2009, 07:10 PM
I think that is a broad stroke generalization-rationalization. If your statement were to be true then all of the coaches who have ever been in or are in the NFL wouldnt have coached at NDSU. You are implying that they arent exceptional because they coached here?????

Way to go overboard PL

bisonhusker
10-06-2009, 07:24 PM
I believe he interviewed at Stanford and Maryland as well as NDSU. I am not positive on that.

bigskybears
10-06-2009, 07:55 PM
You might not have Breske for more than this year. Rumors are that Joe Glenn is making his way back to UNC after this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to resurrect his old coaching staff and bring back guys like Breske.

yippie
10-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Everything about this defense is breske's and it sucks. Look at last year everyone thought man the dline for this year is going to be loaded. All they have done is underperform and get no presure on the quarterback. The defensive backs go from being one of the top units in the nation to being in my opinion maybe the worst. You can say its how he doesn't have his recruits well BS they were damn good last year and he comes in and screw it all up. I hate putting negative things on this board, but man this guy needs to realize to coach to the players strengths not coach how he wants. rant over he sucks.

NDSUstudent
10-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Everything about this defense is breske's and it sucks. Look at last year everyone thought man the dline for this year is going to be loaded. All they have done is underperform and get no presure on the quarterback. The defensive backs go from being one of the top units in the nation to being in my opinion maybe the worst. You can say its how he doesn't have his recruits well BS they were damn good last year and he comes in and screw it all up. I hate putting negative things on this board, but man this guy needs to realize to coach to the players strengths not coach how he wants. rant over he sucks.

John Richardson and Nick Schommer were pretty good last year, of course they graduated. Nate Agbetola also a starter, graduated. Having an athletic linebacker like Humber last year also didn't hurt in coverage and getting pressure.

Last year's defense was gutted, plain and simple, the backups just aren't getting it done. It is a complete mess.

yippie
10-06-2009, 08:51 PM
John Richardson and Nick Schommer were pretty good last year, of course they graduated. Nate Agbetola also a starter, graduated. Having an athletic linebacker like Humber last year also didn't hurt in coverage and getting pressure.

Last year's defense was gutted, plain and simple, the backups just aren't getting it done. It is a complete mess.

Richard bowman i'm fairly sure was a starter before his injury or at least contributed alot... now look at him he cant cover a thing. To me that is coaching.

Bison bison
10-06-2009, 08:52 PM
I agree with Yippie about Bowman. He was solid before. At times this season he's looked like a confused eighth grader.

bisonmike2
10-06-2009, 08:56 PM

This guys got 3 NC's under his belt including 1 while being the DC at Montana, a program I think we can all say we'd love to emulate. He's been here for 6 months. He coached for 5 games. The guys he's forced to put on the field are replacements for guys who have started the season suspended or replacements for guys who have gotten injured and in any case he's had no input in recruiting them. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I was hard on him earlier in the year until I realized that that this just isn't a very good defense. We had some quality guys graduate last year and the guys replacing them are not very good.

heckler
10-06-2009, 08:58 PM
This guys got 3 NC's under his belt including 1 while being the DC at Montana, a program I think we can all say we'd love to emulate. He's been here for 6 months. He coached for 5 games. The guys he's forced to put on the field are replacements for guys who have started the season suspended or replacements for guys who have gotten injured and in any case he's had no input in recruiting them. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I was hard on him earlier in the year until I realized that that this just isn't a very good defense. We had some quality guys graduate last year and the guys replacing them are not very good.

Looks like it falls more on Bohl than Breske.

yippie
10-06-2009, 09:00 PM

I agree with everything you said here, he does have NC's he does have great credentials... but no offense to NDSU, but why is he here and willie mack at tennessee. Seems maybe he is missing something reason he isnt in willie macks position?

NDSUstudent
10-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Richard bowman i'm fairly sure was a starter before his injury or at least contributed alot... now look at him he cant cover a thing. To me that is coaching.

He didn't start a single game last year. Things get a bit harder when you are no longer a nickle back.

56BISON73
10-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Way to go overboard PL

Sure didnt mean to. But now another person is asking almost the samething in regards to him vs Willie Mack. Geez.

56BISON73
10-06-2009, 09:16 PM
I agree with everything you said here, he does have NC's he does have great credentials... but no offense to NDSU, but why is he here and willie mack at tennessee. Seems maybe he is missing something reason he isnt in willie macks position?

Connections.

bisoningrandforks
10-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Guys!!...Any thoughts on this?......Next year we go too a 3-4 from 4-3....we seem to have a lot of recruits that are(young yes!) defensive ends that could play line backer!....Yes we need a big nose tackle to take up space, but!..Ive known Mike Breske for almost 20 years....was just wondering if Mike feels more comfortable with this and yes he coached the 4-3 but its been a long time ago........any thoughts!!!

A1pigskin
10-07-2009, 12:52 AM
We had no depth on Defense and it's now showing.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-07-2009, 05:10 AM

to me its an injury issue that he's having a tough time coming back to him old self...to me you don't know your football

NDSUFan_Sav
10-07-2009, 05:23 AM
I wouldn't be shocked to see us running a 3-4 next year, give him more time to prepare for it on the off season and get them practicing it more (i think i've heard they've been working on it) but maybe they just don't have the pieces for it right now and 3-4 we need some LBs which right now we need!

Bisonguy
10-07-2009, 05:29 AM
I wouldn't be shocked to see us running a 3-4 next year, give him more time to prepare for it on the off season and get them practicing it more (i think i've heard they've been working on it) but maybe they just don't have the pieces for it right now and 3-4 we need some LBs which right now we need!

Yeah, they said before the season started that there would be some 3-4 this year. I'm guessing the injury ward formerly known as LB's has something to do with why it hasn't been used much yet.

HerdBot
10-07-2009, 05:51 AM

Any thoughts?

Coach Stig is a phenemenal coach. He's done more with the SDSU program with less resources than Bohl. Stig doesn't have the tradition, facilities, media coverage, and recruiting budget yet he's built a better program than Bohl. Tougher schedule too. If Stig were to come to NDSU and take advantage of our resources, he'd be contending for a national championship. Consider yourselves lucky. And I'm not knocking Bohl eihter but I think Stig is doing a better job.

JACKRABBITFAN
10-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks Gabe. I do not disagree.

OldBison
10-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Coach Stig is a phenemenal coach. He's done more with the SDSU program with less resources than Bohl. Stig doesn't have the tradition, facilities, media coverage, and recruiting budget yet he's built a better program than Bohl. Tougher schedule too. If Stig were to come to NDSU and take advantage of our resources, he'd be contending for a national championship. Consider yourselves lucky. And I'm not knocking Bohl eihter but I think Stig is doing a better job.

Boy, isn't that the sickening truth :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

56BISON73
10-07-2009, 06:06 PM

Sure cant argue with that.