PDA

View Full Version : Grooming a Quarterback

CaBisonFan
10-06-2009, 02:26 AM
It's my opinion that you groom a young quarterback by giving him chances to play whenever possible. It's also my opinion that you can put in a talented young quarterback in critical parts of the game on a temporary basis...especially when the veteran seems to be struggling. You see what you've got on the bench, you compare, and you give the veteran a little nudge...like 'hey, you better stay sharp, because we 'can' replace you. It helps the veteran...and it helps to develop depth so that there aren't huge gaps in leadership on offense.

NDSUstudent
10-06-2009, 02:46 AM
The only time you ever play two QBs is if you have one that is more of a pocket passer and another adds a different dimension. Like being able to run the wildcat or option or something to that effect.

Otherwise you only play QB2 if it is blowout or if the QB is terribly ineffective(see the UNI game last year, we just had no QB2).

You never take your starting QB out of a game in a critical moment unless your backup is Tim Tebow.

NDSUstudent
10-06-2009, 02:49 AM
But we will see the grooming of a QB fairly soon, at the rate we are going Bohl will have to go with Mohler eventually. Just to see what he has and build some continuity for next year.

tjbison
10-06-2009, 02:51 AM
But we will see the grooming of a QB fairly soon, at the rate we are going Bohl will have to go with Mohler eventually. Just to see what he has and build some continuity for next year.

Don't count on it:hide:

Mohler won't start till next year

AEBison1998
10-06-2009, 03:02 AM
In a year like this, he should give him a series in the first half and another in the second at a minimum. He should go in when the game is still on the line.

NDSUstudent
10-06-2009, 03:10 AM
In a year like this, he should give him a series in the first half and another in the second at a minimum. He should go in when the game is still on the line.

May as well just make him the QB then. Jerking your QBs around isn't good for the team unless they can compliment each other. This team is messed up enough as it is.

CaBisonFan
10-06-2009, 03:15 AM

This explains it better than I did. Thanks

AEBison1998
10-06-2009, 03:15 AM
I don't agree with that. We've played against several teams in the past that consistently give a younger QB a series or two a game. SDSU is one team that has done this. If it is planned and expected by the whole team, then its just normal operation.

I don't want to see Jose's only action to be in the 4th quarter when all he is doing is handing the all off with no real pressure. Let him come along slowly, though.

NDSUstudent
10-06-2009, 03:23 AM
I don't agree with that. We've played against several teams in the past that consistently give a younger QB a series or two a game. SDSU is one team that has done this. If it is planned and expected by the whole team, then its just normal operation.

I don't want to see Jose's only action to be in the 4th quarter when all he is doing is handing the all off with no real pressure. Let him come along slowly, though.

SDSU hasn't done that recently, unless you count us knocking their QB's out of the game.

I want Jose to be given the reigns if he is good enough to play. How do you plan to switch QBs. Do you think Bohl is going to take Mertens out if he is effective? Do you think he would put Mertens back in if Mohler is moving the ball?

Mohler is going to get his chance if things keep going like they are. But it will likely happen after UNI and SDSU so he can come along against lessor teams.

I don't even know why we are talking about this, it is pretty clear that Bohl is not the kind of coach that would do this. If a change happens it will be a Stauss-Walker kind of transition.

56BISON73
10-06-2009, 03:39 AM
I dont see where any coach in the USA that I know of brings in the back up just to give him reps un less the game is out of hand. Its not done just because a team doesnt have a chance for the playoffs.

56BISON73
10-06-2009, 03:41 AM
It's my opinion that you groom a young quarterback by giving him chances to play whenever possible. It's also my opinion that you can put in a talented young quarterback in critical parts of the game on a temporary basis...especially when the veteran seems to be struggling. You see what you've got on the bench, you compare, and you give the veteran a little nudge...like 'hey, you better stay sharp, because we 'can' replace you. It helps the veteran...and it helps to develop depth so that there aren't huge gaps in leadership on offense.

I dont believe Ive ever seen that philosophy used.

MPLSbisonFAN
10-06-2009, 04:27 AM
Me neither. Jose needs to go in as a starter and play the entire game when he goes in. Switching around QB's can have a very poor effect on a team as a whole. Mertens has nothing else I want to see as he has prooved, give the kid a shot.

CaBisonFan
10-06-2009, 05:52 AM
I dont believe Ive ever seen that philosophy used.

Check Bison videos that I've put up. It was done often...and not just when we were blowing teams out.

CaBisonFan
10-06-2009, 05:53 AM
Me neither. Jose needs to go in as a starter and play the entire game when he goes in. Switching around QB's can have a very poor effect on a team as a whole. Mertens has nothing else I want to see as he has prooved, give the kid a shot.

And what effect have we been watching?

ad guy
10-06-2009, 06:36 PM
There's a good chance Mohler might not even be the starting qb next year. Perez will probably be the guy next year. But we wouldn't want to waste his redshirt halfway through the season, that would be stupid. Nobody pulls a redshirt halfway through a season, do they?

bisonmike2
10-06-2009, 07:18 PM

At this point, I'd be happy with a series or two.

CaBisonFan
10-06-2009, 08:33 PM
At this point, I'd be happy with a series or two.

Precisely........:nod:

A year ago...each game.

WYOBISONMAN
10-06-2009, 08:36 PM

I am wondering if FieldTurf could impact this in any way.....;) (I kid.....I kid....)

aces1180
10-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Don't count on it:hide:

Mohler won't start till next year

Who knows, Jensen could beat him out...Next year is wayyyy to far away.

WYOBISONMAN
10-06-2009, 08:38 PM

Exactly.....Next year is next year...and there are options out there.

56BISON73
10-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Check Bison videos that I've put up. It was done often...and not just when we were blowing teams out.

Yes they made substitutions but are they for the resons you stated in your grooming philosophy??????

tjbison
10-06-2009, 09:36 PM

I agree and IMO think he will give Dante and Jose a run for their money but all signs right now with Bohls track record with Qb's it appears he goes with senority

IzzyFlexion
10-07-2009, 02:21 PM

Indeed. And it can't get here fast enough.
Nothin' like a clean slate to give a fan some renewed false hope!:D