PDA

View Full Version : scholarship question

westnodak93bison
10-05-2009, 04:26 PM
If a player is on scholarship but doesnt perform can the program yank the scholly and give it to another player or bring in a new player? Maybe after the season it is time replace the guys who cant cut it.

baseballfan7
10-05-2009, 04:37 PM
The scholarships are just 1 year renewable scholarships. But usually scholarships only get pulled for off the field or academic issues and not playing performance. I think it would hurt recruiting if current players started getting their scholarship pulled. Recruits might think twice about going to a school if they might get their scholarship pulled if they have a down year.

coldspot
10-05-2009, 04:55 PM
or it might make some of these guys play a little bit better knowing that more than just their playing time is on the line.

DjKyRo
10-05-2009, 05:02 PM
I guess it would come down to the question of -

What's more important, 60 players' education or your team's record? Maybe you guys aren't satisfied, but that doesn't change the fact that these guys are giving it their all. Yanking their scholarships, particularly when some of these guys put a lot of stock into that as a means of getting a postsecondary education, based only on "They're not as good as I'd like" seems a tad bit selfish, not to mention callous.

94 Bison
10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
I guess it would come down to the question of -

What's more important, 60 players' education or your team's record? Maybe you guys aren't satisfied, but that doesn't change the fact that these guys are giving it their all. Yanking their scholarships, particularly when some of these guys put a lot of stock into that as a means of getting a postsecondary education, based only on "They're not as good as I'd like" seems a tad bit selfish, not to mention callous.

++++++++++

westnodak93bison
10-05-2009, 05:14 PM
so is it standard practice to keep a player on scholarship even though they dont get on the field?

94 Bison
10-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Who would the starters practice against if the others weren't on the team

DjKyRo
10-05-2009, 05:19 PM
so is it standard practice to keep a player on scholarship even though they dont get on the field?

I wouldn't say it's standard practice - obviously you'd want to use those schollies to get as many impact players as possible, but with a limited recruiting pool and at the level NDSU recruits at, you really can't expect to land a whole lot of big fish at one time.

That said, just because a player on scholarship doesn't play now doesn't mean they won't play a useful role in the future. Every player on scholarship contributes to the team's GPA, so if you have a benched player with a 4.0 he's still doing his part to contribute.

baseballfan7
10-05-2009, 05:25 PM

Most schools that I know of do. Some schools even allow players that have had career ending injuries to keep their scholarship.

westnodak93bison
10-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Most schools that I know of do. Some schools even allow players that have had career ending injuries to keep their scholarship.

sounds like a good case for scholarship/injury insurance

roadwarrior
10-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Pulling scholarships would probably lead to those players leaving NDSU. Ultimately this would be very detrimental to the school's APR rating that could lead to penalties from the NCAA.

bisonmike2
10-05-2009, 05:48 PM
If we're pulling schollies for lack of production, everyone minus Pat and Preston would be pulled.

WYOBISONMAN
10-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Pulling scholies for playing or quality of play would be just flat out insane.

BisonNeil
10-05-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't believe any NDSU player has had a scholarship totally pulled in the Bohl era. Some, however, have had them reduced (full to half). That is why guys like Marcus Mailand, Demeatric Fowler, Justin Cash, Jamar Champ, John Knepel, Kevin Weeden and Sam Laudner left after a year to two.

bisontwice
10-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Scholarships are not guaranteed except for the year they are given. There are no guaranteed 4/5 year full rides. At the end of spring ball or fall camp scholarships are determined.

SiouxFan
10-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Reducing scholarships is a philosophical thing for programs. NDSU has been reducing the schollies of some of its players over the last few years to free up money for others. One of your starting backers got his reduced after the winter. It is a slippery slope when you start doing that because high school coaches get word of it and they have long memories. It pisses off the parents, former coaches, and the player because now they have to take out student loans or come up with the extra that they weren't planning for.

Many programs do not reduce the scholarship or very rarely do it. They will more than likely let the player move on if it would get to that point.

bison mom
10-05-2009, 07:45 PM
If we're pulling schollies for lack of production, everyone minus Pat and Preston would be pulled.

That without a doubt is the most idiotic, moronic statement ANYONE or ANYTHING has ever posted on Bisonville. They are both great players, but let's put them out there by themselves and see how they do. Pat is running behind a great offensive line. (Coach Dale Lennon stated the strongest, most physical line in the MVC in his opinon). Preston is playing in a position where he should be the top tackler and one that has been depleted by injuries. You obviously aren't a true bison fan!

OnTheFifty
10-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Pulling a scholarship for a because of lack of productivity out of a player would be a disaster.

Yes, you would gain a scholly to use the next year, but you could lose 10 recruits in the future that were considering NDSU because of it. Plus, could you imagine the negative recruiting that other teams could use against you because of it.

I think tactics like "making it hell" for a recruit, so they do not want to be here is a better way if you have to do that, then straight out pulling a scholly.

Every team has recruiting "mistakes" every year, you just hope you hit on the other 80-90% of them.

My 2 cents.

The_Sicatoka
10-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Cut the scholarships from a couple of your guys and let us know how that works out in the big picture (morale, recruiting).

Do it a couple dozen times so you're sure you understand how it works really well and then report back to the rest of us.

:p

OldBison
10-05-2009, 07:51 PM
That without a doubt is the most idiotic, moronic statement ANYONE or ANYTHING has ever posted on Bisonville. They are both great players, but let's put them out there by themselves and see how they do. Pat is running behind a great offensive line. (Coach Dale Lennon stated the strongest, most physical line in the MVC in his opinon). Preston is playing in a position where he should be the top tackler and one that has been depleted by injuries. You obviously aren't a true bison fan!

You and a few others really do need to get your scarcasm meters checked:nod: :nod: :nod:

bisonhusker
10-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Why do I read message boards?

This is a thread that started with a simple question....and now about a million people think that NDSU is yanking schollies. Awesome. Not only that, but a batch of people, who probably were tailgating together are now jumping down eachother's throats. NICE.

Notorious
10-05-2009, 08:29 PM

If this is really a "Bison Mom", I love this lady !!

bisonmike2
10-05-2009, 08:49 PM

C'mon. I've said waaay more idiotic and moronic things than that.

Gully
10-05-2009, 08:55 PM
They are not going to start doing this in a significant way. Maybe there is a case or two here or there but this has not and will not be a common practice. People just need to relax a little bit. The sun will still come up tomorrow.

bisonhp330
10-06-2009, 01:44 AM

RUH ROH....now you pissed off Mom. Way to go. :smh: :smh:

bisonmike2
10-06-2009, 01:57 AM
RUH ROH....now you pissed off Mom. Way to go. :smh: :smh:

Yeah, I thought about offering the lineman 1/2 scholarships to appease her, but I thought it would just piss her off more.

X-Factor
10-06-2009, 02:37 AM

lmao, you for real dogg? I think you're taking that posters message a bit too personal, but i dunno......:hide:

IMO, bisonmike clearly wasn't serious

steelbison
10-06-2009, 02:43 AM

Your a big man Mike..taking personal shots at 18-23 year old kids..

Real classy.....

bisonmike2
10-06-2009, 02:43 AM
Your a big man Mike..taking personal shots at 18-23 year old kids..

Real classy.....

see above. x-factor's post.

Everyone needs to just calm down. Internet, serious business.