PDA

View Full Version : bright spots in ISU game (without personal attacks)

AllAboutBisonPride
10-05-2009, 02:41 AM
The game was embarrassing. For those of you that took the half an hour to read my last post; my conviction about who should be playing quarterback is cemented. Mertins is the equivalent of a 30 year-old with erectile dysfunction, everything should work but for some reason when its game time there is just something lacking. Other than the long pass and being able to not fuck up the offense on the last two drives, Mertins didn't do anything. The two encouraging parts of Saturday's contest was that Gary Williams FINALLY transferred his speed to helping out the team and Matt Voigtlander asserted himself as a main weapon of the offense. If anything the performances of number 85 and 23 will give UNI something else to have to scheme for when they face the juggernaut offence of the NDSU Pat Pashall's next week.

MNLonghorn10
10-05-2009, 03:13 AM
there was no bright spots.

im convinced with me at qb, sav and sd split wide with trans am & hando in the slots, with no practice whatsoever, we could pass for over 300 yards and 3 td's....in 1 half

Kevin
10-05-2009, 03:19 AM
Voitlander has always been poised to be a game changer. They just haven't used him to his potential. He's going to be another Steffes-like work horse. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the #1 back next year.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-05-2009, 03:36 AM

im convinced with me at qb, sav and sd split wide with trans am & hando in the slots, with no practice whatsoever, we could pass for over 300 yards and 3 td's....in 1 half

after we have a few drinks from das boot as well

4mcruenomore
10-05-2009, 03:40 AM
see my thread about bright spots, all is not lost.

HandoEX
10-05-2009, 04:01 AM

That lineup would strike fear into any mvfc secondary though:ranting:

Bright spots? Youth, and Pat Paschall. I hope to god the experience the underclassmen are getting this year lights a fire under each one of their asses!

NDSUstudent
10-05-2009, 04:07 AM
Preston Evans, Preston Evans, Preston Evans. He reminds me of Joe Mays, he is going 110% on every play and is really turning into a leader.

Ojuri, I wish Bohl could recruit QBs and WRs like he can at running back.

Paschall, what can you say, the guy is the complete package.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-05-2009, 04:11 AM
That lineup would strike fear into any mvfc secondary though:ranting:

Bright spots? Youth, and Pat Paschall. I hope to god the experience the underclassmen are getting this year lights a fire under each one of their asses!

agree.....youth!!!!!

BisonNolesFan77
10-05-2009, 04:31 AM
Bright Spots...

Preston Evans, like everyone has said, kid is a flat out stud, too bad we don't have 10 more guys like him on D.

Paschall, but when does he not impress?

Ojuri, his TD run looked effortless, but, I wish the redshirt was still on him!

Voightlander, and this guy is the reason I wish the redshirt was still on Ojuri, the guy is maybe the most underutilized talent on the team, he reminds me so much of Steffes and the way he ran, and we all know what he did.

Gary Williams...one huge catch...good to see...

DjKyRo
10-05-2009, 04:35 AM
Voitlander has always been poised to be a game changer. They just haven't used him to his potential. He's going to be another Steffes-like work horse. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the #1 back next year.

Ultimately I'd like to see DJ's speed give him an advantage in the defense, and him putting up good enough numbers to stay there. He'd be a real helper in the depth department in our LBs, and that would pave the way for a Voit-Ojuri-Sigers 3-headed monster at RB.

Mr. Burgundy
10-05-2009, 12:18 PM
I am just thankful that we yanked the redshirt on Sam, because I don't think Voit is ready for 6 carries. Lets keep him at 3 per game!!! Sam is absolutely fantastic, but don't tell me that he is "filling a role." Most NFL teams have 2 RB's....I am not sure why we feel we need 4 at all times. I would have preferred to move Garrett Bruhn to MLB and put Preston back to outside (now that our starting FB is back). And/Or yank the redshirt off Grothman since he has actually been a linebacker before.

Sam is special, and someday we are going to wish we had him as a 23 year old beast getting 22 touches a game....just like I wish Ramon was still our starting linebacker.

TransAmBison
10-05-2009, 01:12 PM

Pass? Pass? Nah...line up in a power formation with SD at tailback. Tell the defense what is coming...we'll lead block and just hand off to SD. They will wish for a hit by Roehl instead after getting knocked down by SD. Remember those runs against the Gophers by Roehl? SD is faster, stronger, and angrier. I guarantee you by the second hit the defense will all "accidentally" fall down to keep out of his way!:nod::D

roadwarrior
10-05-2009, 01:59 PM
We blocked a field goal!!!!

When was the last time that happened?

GradBison
10-05-2009, 04:13 PM
I am just thankful that we yanked the redshirt on Sam, because I don't think Voit is ready for 6 carries. Lets keep him at 3 per game!!!

With all due respect Burgundy, I call BS on this. I don't know enough football, but I know Voigtlander looks tough as nails, no way in hell he can't handle 6 measly carries a game.

TransAmBison
10-05-2009, 04:14 PM
With all due respect Burgundy, I call BS on this. I don't know enough football, but I know Voigtlander looks tough as nails, no way in hell he can't handle 6 measly carries a game.
Your sarcasm meter must be broken. Better go get it looked at. :nod:

Bison"FANatic"
10-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I am just thankful that we yanked the redshirt on Sam, because I don't think Voit is ready for 6 carries. Lets keep him at 3 per game!!! Sam is absolutely fantastic, but don't tell me that he is "filling a role." Most NFL teams have 2 RB's....I am not sure why we feel we need 4 at all times. I would have preferred to move Garrett Bruhn to MLB and put Preston back to outside (now that our starting FB is back). And/Or yank the redshirt off Grothman since he has actually been a linebacker before.

Sam is special, and someday we are going to wish we had him as a 23 year old beast getting 22 touches a game....just like I wish Ramon was still our starting linebacker.

I agree with you on the pulling the shirt to fill a role. Why not pull Horner back to RB to "fill the role" for the year. He practiced it all last year till they moved him to cornerback in the spring. He may not have been as explosive but would of allowed us to keep the shirt on Ojuri.

Now to the bright spot. I was going to go with the return game as we forced them to pooch it all night long but then I remembered it took us forever to bring our returners up so we could try and take advantage of it.

I have to also go with Evans also. The guy is just a dang good player and looks to be a leader. He was running around congratulating players and trying to get the crowd going. He was into the game and was trying to put the rest of the D on his shoulders.

runtheoption
10-05-2009, 04:31 PM
I still want to see Mohler as our starter, but it was awesome to see Mertens take us down the field in the 4th quarter.

tcbison
10-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Now to the bright spot. I was going to go with the return game as we forced them to pooch it all night long but then I remembered it took us forever to bring our returners up so we could try and take advantage of it.

Well, after ISU scored on the first series we had #91(Greg Reid Jr.) as one of the blockers in front of the return man. Before the kick I said to the guy next to me if I was ISU I would kick it to #91...sure enough that is what they did and it was almost a disaster. Slowly they finally made the change to put Voigtlander in that position and it resulted in good field position.
Voigtlander to me was a bright spot. 3 carries for 48 yards. I am just a dumb fan but it makes no sense why he doesn't get the ball more, he only averages 11.4 yards a carry for the year.

GradBison
10-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Your sarcasm meter must be broken. Better go get it looked at. :nod:

Opps, just checked and it's broken alright. :hide:

Apologies.. etc etc etc.

BisonNeil
10-05-2009, 07:09 PM

Absolutely spot on!!!