PDA

View Full Version : What happened to all the FBS talk?

WYOBISONMAN
10-04-2009, 02:27 PM
After the two 10-1 seasons there was a lot of bellowing on here about the Bison moving to FBS. Currently we are seeing the reality of how tough the competition is in FCS and that it takes a lot to stay on top. We are not FBS material and have never been. We need to learn how to compete consistantly in FCS.

We are not a big time school and our program will be a revolving door for coaches. If they keep us on top, a bigger program will snap them up. If we loose, we will dump them. The challenge our administration is to staff us with coaches that will keep us on top of the FCS and be able to do that with the revolving door spinning. We have top flight facilities and a solid budget for a FCS school. The tools are there for a coaching staff. Gene Taylor and Dr. Chapman are smart folks and they can make this work. The transition was WELL managed. The future for athletics and the entire university is bright. As for FBS......it is not a place for NDSU.

bisondad
10-04-2009, 02:31 PM
I agree. I think FCS is a great level of football for the NDSU's, UNI's, etc. And, with the playoffs, national championships are still a very real possibility. With FBS, i don't think a National championship would ever be possible, unless they would develop a playoff system.

Capn_Cat
10-04-2009, 03:41 PM
After the two 10-1 seasons there was a lot of bellowing on here about the Bison moving to FBS. Currently we are seeing the reality of how tough the competition is in FCS and that it takes a lot to stay on top. We are not FBS material and have never been. We need to learn how to compete consistantly in FCS.

We are not a big time school and our program will be a revolving door for coaches. If they keep us on top, a bigger program will snap them up. If we loose, we will dump them. The challenge our administration is to staff us with coaches that will keep us on top of the FCS and be able to do that with the revolving door spinning. We have top flight facilities and a solid budget for a FCS school. The tools are there for a coaching staff. Gene Taylor and Dr. Chapman are smart folks and they can make this work. The transition was WELL managed. The future for athletics and the entire university is bright. As for FBS......it is not a place for NDSU.

No, sheeit, WYO. That was a very entertaining time.

:)

tjbison
10-04-2009, 04:46 PM

Agreed to some extent, but FCS will not stay the same forever it will water down just like the old DII and something will happen in the FBS level that would make it feasable for NDSU to make the move

CaBisonFan
10-04-2009, 05:47 PM
After the two 10-1 seasons there was a lot of bellowing on here about the Bison moving to FBS.

The reality is that we don't have a team like we did in 06 & 07. It was unfortunate that we came out of the transition with an inexperienced quarterback...and without Joe Mays, Nate Safe, and others. I believe that the MVFC will someday move up, or at least some of the Illinois & Indiana schools. I think that UNI would have a hard time resisting that challenge for similar reasons. That could be in the distant future. I may not see it in my lifetime. I think that ISU, WIU, SIU, and Ind St. are tired of being the little kids on the black in their respective states...hardly on the radar. If that happens, then we'll have a choice to make. Ron Erhardt, the mastermind behind our great tradition, wanted D-I when he was here. Ron knows a little bit about football.

IzzyFlexion
10-04-2009, 06:00 PM
The reality is that we don't have a team like we did in 06 & 07. It was unfortunate that we came out of the transition with an inexperienced quarterback...and without Joe Mays, Nate Safe, and others. I believe that the MVFC will someday move up, or at least some of the Illinois & Indiana schools. I think that UNI would have a hard time resisting that challenge for similar reasons. That could be in the distant future. I may not see it in my lifetime. I think that ISU, WIU, SIU, and Ind St. are tired of being the little kids on the black in their respective states...hardly on the radar. If that happens, then we'll have a choice to make. Ron Erhardt, the mastermind behind our great tradition, wanted D-I when he was here. Ron knows a little bit about football.

There were a couple (OK, maybe several) times that I was hoping Ron would grab a headset while he was there yesterday.

WYOBISONMAN
10-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Agreed to some extent, but FCS will not stay the same forever it will water down just like the old DII and something will happen in the FBS level that would make it feasable for NDSU to make the move

We will never run with the big dogs. Our peers will be the Montanas, Montana States, UNIs of the world. And.....that is not a bad thing at all.

TransAmBison
10-04-2009, 07:31 PM
The watering down is the dumbest argument I have ever heard. DII watered down when scholarships were reduced, not because of more schools entering the division. Seriously. FCS is the best place for NDSU...no question. In my opinion, of course.*

*But I am right.

IzzyFlexion
10-04-2009, 07:36 PM
The watering down is the dumbest argument I have ever heard. DII watered down when scholarships were reduced, not because of more schools entering the division. Seriously. FCS is the best place for NDSU...no question. In my opinion, of course.*

*But I am right.

Yes, indeed, you are.

OrygunBison
10-04-2009, 07:44 PM

*But I am right.

Uhh... not so fast, my friend. DII scholarships were reduced when a bunch of teams started making the jump from DIII and the NAIA and couldn't compete. They lobbied hard for a reduction. With a similar trend in FCS right now (at least before the moratorium) it could happen here as well.

That being said, I agree with the overall position that FCS is where NDSU belongs.

TransAmBison
10-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Uhh... not so fast, my friend. DII scholarships were reduced when a bunch of teams started making the jump from DIII and the NAIA and couldn't compete. They lobbied hard for a reduction. With a similar trend in FCS right now (at least before the moratorium) it could happen here as well.

That being said, I agree with the overall position that FCS is where NDSU belongs.
But it does not matter who is in the division...it is the amount of scholarships allowed that effects the watering down. As long as the scholarships stays put every else does not matter. That being said, things can always change. Nature of the NCAA.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-04-2009, 08:18 PM
people wanted us to go to the FBS???

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/beegaler/Funnies/lol_srsly001_1180205669.jpg

Facts
10-04-2009, 08:53 PM
While I agree that it was preposterous for NDSU to boast about going FBS before they had ever sniffed consistency in FCS, I disagree that FBS is out of the question forever. It would take a focused conceited effort by the ND University system to make it work for our state's small population base. ND would need to put all their eggs into one basket, much like the public institutions in Wyoming, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Indiana, Pennsylvania, or Hawaii. These states each have one main public FBS football institution. All I'm saying is that it has been done in other rural states (though only Wyoming is as rural as ND is).

Gully
10-04-2009, 09:21 PM
I have to disagree with most of you on this. I'm not saying they should do it right now but if you visit some of the FBS schools, you'll realize they don't have much, if anything on NDSU. No, I'm not talking about major BCS conferences but compare us to MAC, Mountain West, and WAC schools and we don't look too bad. I was at Wyoming last year and they had absolutely nothing on us.

I still think it will happen in time. If you think I'm crazy....that's what people said to me 7-8 years ago when I predicted we'd beat Minnesota. Write it down, NostraGully said so.

WYOBISONMAN
10-04-2009, 09:35 PM
I have to disagree with most of you on this. I'm not saying they should do it right now but if you visit some of the FBS schools, you'll realize they don't have much, if anything on NDSU. No, I'm not talking about major BCS conferences but compare us to MAC, Mountain West, and WAC schools and we don't look too bad. I was at Wyoming last year and they had absolutely nothing on us.

I still think it will happen in time. If you think I'm crazy....that's what people said to me 7-8 years ago when I predicted we'd beat Minnesota. Write it down, NostraGully said so.

Wyoming has an athletic budget that totally dwarfs NDSU ( and they still suck).....and that is possible because it is the only 4 year institution in the entire state. A major political difference between WYO and the ND schools. You would never get the political hacks in the state to let either UND or NDSU have and exclusive option of being the "FBS" school in the state.

Hammerhead
10-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Does anyone think there might be FBS conferences that would consider dropping down to the FCS?

It doesn't seem like schools from conferences without an automatic bid to the "big boy" bowls will never have a chance to compete for the national title in the FBS system.

rockybison
10-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Good luck with that. Bottom tier fcs schools killing us. Where do we get the players?

Gully
10-05-2009, 12:34 AM
Good luck with that. Bottom tier fcs schools killing us. Where do we get the players?

That's what people said when we were DII. Yes we're terrible this year, but it'll get turned around. We'll be back.

rockybison
10-05-2009, 12:39 AM
We suck every year. Playoffs, playoffs. How is Northern Colorado doing

steelbison
10-05-2009, 12:43 AM

Why would anyone want it to happen?? So we can play in a div where a great year is playing in the motorcity bowl???

I would much rather play for a national championship than that any day of the week..

rockybison
10-05-2009, 12:45 AM
steelbison has it nuts on.

Gully
10-05-2009, 12:55 AM
We suck every year. Playoffs, playoffs. How is Northern Colorado doing

We suck every year? Comments like that do wonders for your credibility...oh wait, I just noticed your rep. Having opinions and good debate is wonderful but it helps if you don't make completely ridiculous comments.

rockybison
10-05-2009, 01:00 AM
at least I can spell. NDSU is headed to the cellar. That means the floor under the main, or basement. Let's hold hands with UNC.

99Bison
10-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Wyoming has an athletic budget that totally dwarfs NDSU ( and they still suck).....and that is possible because it is the only 4 year institution in the entire state. A major political difference between WYO and the ND schools. You would never get the political hacks in the state to let either UND or NDSU have and exclusive option of being the "FBS" school in the state.

Dwarfs? Don't know about that, it's about 2x... 50% of it comes from the state of WY. NDSU's been at it for only 5 years.

To field a competitive FBS football team the funds definitely have to be raised and they do exist, even in ND (and out of state supporters).

However, if that is to be achieved in the next 30 years NDSU athletics has to strategically learn how to grow and nurture business and fan development. They severely need to create an environment where people and businesses CAN and WANT to be part of something bigger.

CaBisonFan
10-05-2009, 01:53 AM
We will never run with the big dogs. Our peers will be the Montanas, Montana States, UNIs of the world. And.....that is not a bad thing at all.

Boise State.....North Dakota State

WYOBISONMAN
10-05-2009, 01:57 AM
Boise State.....North Dakota State

The fan base in Boise is a good bit larger than Fargo Moorhead....It would take a lot to convince me that a move to FBS would be anything but detrimental to NDSU. But, again, given the politics in ND.....it is very unlikely to happen.

WYOBISONMAN
10-05-2009, 02:07 AM
This is from the Cheyenne newspaper.....

UW's budget for 2009-10 is expected to be between $22 million and $23 million, and about 43 percent of that comes from state funds. The other 57 percent comes from self-generated money, such as ticket sales, concessions, game guarantees, NCAA money, etc.

And also this.......

UW and Colorado State continue to go back and forth on which of the nine Mountain West Conference schools have the smallest athletic budgets. Both are in the $22-$23 million range. The MWC average is about $32 million.

So with the NDSU Athletic budget at about $12 million, I would say that the UW budget would dwarf it by over $10 million. That is one hell of a bunch of cash....especially when you can't yet raise the funds for new BB facility.

Also, realize that WYO and CSU are not very competative programs in the Mountain West Conference. A major reason is that they are being significantly outspent. To hit the average MWC budget NDSU would need another $20 million every year.

I think the money aspect of this whole debate makes a move to FBS and to field a half decent FBS program make such a jump impossible now or even in the next 20 years.

TheBisonator
10-05-2009, 02:14 AM

UW's budget for 2009-10 is expected to be between $22 million and $23 million, and about 43 percent of that comes from state funds. The other 57 percent comes from self-generated money, such as ticket sales, concessions, game guarantees, NCAA money, etc.

And also this.......

UW and Colorado State continue to go back and forth on which of the nine Mountain West Conference schools have the smallest athletic budgets. Both are in the $22-$23 million range. The MWC average is about $32 million.

So with the NDSU Athletic budget at about $12 million, I would say that the UW budget would dwarf it by over $10 million. That is one hell of a bunch of cash....especially when you can't yet raise the funds for new BB facility.

Also, realize that WYO and CSU are not very competative programs in the Mountain West Conference. A major reason is that they are being significantly outspent. To hit the average MWC budget NDSU would need another $20 million every year.

I think the money aspect of this whole debate makes a move to FBS and to field a half decent FBS program make such a jump impossible now or even in the next 20 years.

NDSU's budget is actually $13 million this year, so Wyoming only has about 9 million dollars over us.

CaBisonFan
10-05-2009, 02:15 AM
Not saying I want it to happen anytime soon...but I'm just suggesting that it could happen. By the time we'd make the move, the whole FBS scene could look totally different. It's not worth arguing about WYO. You've made some good points. :nod: :nod:

99Bison
10-05-2009, 02:30 AM

And also this.......

That's because you are assuming strategy, operation and management stays the same. If the goal is not there to go FBS and changes are not made to accomplish that goal you will be right. Case in point, the basketball arena issue.

DI nay-sayers said the same thing about going from about 3M to 10M.

The simple point trying to make here is that say an additional $20M is not unreasonable if you build it from a business standpoint. Of course this is over time and changes in strategy and execution have to be made to accomplish it.

Hammerhead
10-05-2009, 02:32 AM
I'm not saying NDSU should move up any time in the near future, but the Bison have beaten some lower-quality FBS schools in the past few years.

unbison
10-05-2009, 02:34 AM
gotta win where we are at before we think of moving up.... and by win i mean national championships!!!!