PDA

View Full Version : Issues with the spread

steelbison
10-04-2009, 12:23 AM
why is it we have such issues with the spread. After last weeks effort I figured this D had greatly improved. Boy was I wrong. We are absolutely clueless in covering it.

Big problem is more and more teams are running it so what is our answer to it???

Obviously we have a scheme issue against the spread. To me it seems we keep trying to cover it the same way and it never works..

Am I wrong here???

Bisonguy
10-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Bohl should switch from the WCO to the spread, just so the defense can see it more.

A1pigskin
10-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Mertens got lucky today. There was 4 or 5 passes that the Redbirds caught and dropped.

steelbison
10-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Mertens got lucky today. There was 4 or 5 passes that the Redbirds caught and dropped.

How does this have anything to do with defending the spread???

mango
10-04-2009, 12:57 AM
How does this have anything to do with defending the spread???

I think he is talking about the Redbird defenders :confused:

Granted, still have nothing to do with defending the spread.

A1pigskin
10-04-2009, 12:57 AM
I have issues with everything.

HerdBot
10-04-2009, 01:02 AM
why is it we have such issues with the spread. After last weeks effort I figured this D had greatly improved. Boy was I wrong. We are absolutely clueless in covering it.

Big problem is more and more teams are running it so what is our answer to it???

Obviously we have a scheme issue against the spread. To me it seems we keep trying to cover it the same way and it never works..

Am I wrong here???

Not sure but the spread will soon be the norm for every team. Even Rocky Hagar is running it. Either figure out how to defend it or be perrennial bottom feeders. Sorry, just facts.

steelbison
10-04-2009, 01:07 AM
Not sure but the spread will soon be the norm for every team. Even Rocky Hagar is running it. Either figure out how to defend it or be perrennial bottom feeders. Sorry, just facts.

I agree, my question is why can't the coaches figure out a way to stop it?? Or at least slow it down.

Is the main problem we have to recruit a different kind of athlete to defend the spread?? Smaller quicker players???

Because at least against SIU a non spread team our D didn't look this bad..

HerdBot
10-04-2009, 01:12 AM
I agree, my question is why can't the coaches figure out a way to stop it?? Or at least slow it down.

Is the main problem we have to recruit a different kind of athlete to defend the spread?? Smaller quicker players???

Because at least against SIU a non spread team our D didn't look this bad..

We're coached and built around running teams and the old Great West. Even when we were "good" we couldn't stop the spread. What's scary is every team figure out how to beat us. We're years away from being competitive.

BisoninNWMN
10-04-2009, 01:16 AM
IMO....I think it is more of teams exploiting our Tampa-2 defense. The middle and flat routes are consistently open against the Tampa-2 and we do not have a very good pass rush.

Need a good pass rush if you are going to run the Tampa-2......teams are taking what we give them.....the short pass in the middle and flat.

steelbison
10-04-2009, 01:19 AM
IMO....I think it is more of teams exploiting our Tampa-2 defense. The middle and flat routes are consistently open against the Tampa-2 and we do not have a very good pass rush.

Need a good pass rush if you are going to run the Tampa-2......teams are taking what we give them.....the short pass in the middle and flat.

OK..agreed...so why do we refuse to address this problem?????? it has been going on at NDSU since the spread started..

BisoninNWMN
10-04-2009, 01:23 AM
OK..agreed...so why do we refuse to address this problem?????? it has been going on at NDSU since the spread started..

Good question......

I thought we would try to blitz their Fr QB more and try to rattle him....we made him look like an All-American....:banghead: :banghead:

We get absolutely no pressure on the QB....bring it from different angles to confuse the QB. All we do is rush 4 and sit back with 7 in coverage and let the other team dink and dunk down the field......:ranting: :ranting: