PDA

View Full Version : Time to Look Ahead

CaBisonFan
10-02-2009, 09:59 PM
From the perspective of looking at the immediate future...and long-range...what is the potential? Can we get back to having teams like 2006 & 2007...or even better? If so, why? If not, why?

I'll throw in one: Next year, we have Jose Mohler, Dante Perez, Brock Jensen, and Esley Thorton ready to 'battle' for a starting spot. That will be extremely refreshing...to have real competition.

I'll stop. Who could add to this? It doesn't have to all be good stuff. I'd just prefer that it 'not' get personal.

Edited: Wasn't meant to be apologetic. 'nough of that.

IzzyFlexion
10-02-2009, 10:05 PM
My inclination has been to be extremely critical...got caught up in the whole thing. My fault...no one else's. People are certainly welcome to post and discuss whatever they want here. This doesn't need to be a vanilla/homer board. Never meant that.

But here's a suggestion. From the perspective of looking at the immediate future...and long-range...what is the potential? Can we get back to having teams like 2006 & 2007...or even better? If so, why? If not, why?

I'll throw in one: Next year, we have Jose Mohler, Dante Perez, Brock Jensen, and Esley Thorton ready to 'battle' for a starting spot. That will be extremely refreshing...to have real competition.

I'll stop. Who could add to this? It doesn't have to all be good stuff. I'd just prefer that it 'not' get personal.

I don't think you owe anyone an explanation Ca.
Passionate fans are allowed to "go off" once in awhile. It definately didn't offend or alarm me in any way. I think that's the beauty of this forum. I do agree with you as far as stepping away from the occasional urge to personalize posts or call out individual players, but if something pisses you off, I say let 'er fly.

CaBisonFan
10-02-2009, 10:33 PM
I don't think you owe anyone an explanation Ca.
Passionate fans are allowed to "go off" once in awhile. It definately didn't offend or alarm me in any way. I think that's the beauty of this forum. I do agree with you as far as stepping away from the occasional urge to personalize posts or call out individual players, but if something pisses you off, I say let 'er fly.

Thanks.............:D

unbison
10-02-2009, 10:56 PM
CA..... dont worry bout me.... takes way more to offend me..... remember i have been friends with lakes for like 15 years wow.... what the hell am i doing with my life

CaBisonFan
10-02-2009, 11:10 PM
CA..... dont worry bout me.... takes way more to offend me..... remember i have been friends with lakes for like 15 years wow.... what the hell am i doing with my life

Don't worry 'un'...I'm not worried...:cool:

MHDBisonfan
10-02-2009, 11:13 PM
I've always thought Coach Bohl was a great find, with the Montana win kick starting things, followed up by the 10-1 seasons, but maybe I got blinded/spoiled by the miracle wins from Steve Walker that made it appear things were better than they really were. I'm not ready to throw Coach under the bus, if you've read some of my recent posts, I've supported his decisions based on the fact he sees the kids every day and we see them 8 times a year. But I have to say, it seems like some recent decisions have been head scratchers.

I fully support the Bison, will continue to tailgate and get my season tix regardless of w/l record, but obviously I want a NC just like everyone else. Can we do that with the current staff in place? I hope so. I'm not going to get bogged down in the disecting of the team/coaches/players/fans, etc. I'm a Bison fan and I'll support the Bison. Forever.

EDIT: Oh yeah....SSS

BisonNolesFan77
10-03-2009, 01:15 AM
From the perspective of looking at the immediate future...and long-range...what is the potential? Can we get back to having teams like 2006 & 2007...or even better? If so, why? If not, why?

Good thing you edited that CA...no reason at all to apologetic, alot of us fans get pretty wrapped up in Bison Football, and athletics in general, no need to apologize for being a faithful Bison fan.

I believe there is a lot of potential for NDSU to do great things at the FCS level, just like they did at the D2 level. To me, there are a lot of things that go into future potential, and NDSU has most of those things working in their favor, great facilities, great campus, great city, great people, and great tradition. I will admit though, that something needs to be done in the Dome to make it feel more like the home of Bison Football, just think how impressive it would to walk in and see 26 NCC Championship banners, 1 GWFC, and 8 National Championship banners hanging from the Dome. That is tradition! The potential is most def. there, all comes down to getting kids from outside the region (Texas, Florida, California, etc.) to get past the stigma of what they "Think" Fargo, ND and ND is, and really come and experience what Bison Football, NDSU, Fargo, and the state of ND is really about. At the same time, NDSU still has keep the top tier talent from ND coming to NDSU, and not that other school, and also keep their strong MN and WI recruiting. The core of this program will be those ND, MN, and WI recruits.

As for the immidiate future...the positives...I think the QB battle shaping up here for next will be interesting, from everything that has been reported, I think we have some talent there right now and another one (at least) coming in for next season. I think our RB talent is going to be real good with Voightlander, DJ, Sigers, and Ojuri. Vandal will be back, and Bruhn looks good, not to mention Grothman if he stays at FB. The young WR talent that was brought in this past recruting class should be very good, not to mention Shamen is the only reciever that has really made a contribution this season that we will be losing. TE should be strong in the coming seasons. And, even though they will be young, I think the DE's are going to be real good. The not so positives, we will have some big shoes to fill along the OL after this season, but that is a area we seem to just reload at. The LB core is of real concern, Evans is a stud and we all know that, Jemison has talent but is young, Beson has had a lot of hype but has been injured to often to live up to it, we are THIN there...wouldn't be surprised to see a JUCO LB or two this offseason. The DB's are a concern, Pierre, Jackson, Horner, Eaves and Ollman are young but talented, but there needs to be more depth there. I would also like to see a real talented DT or two signed this year.

Well, there's my book...enough to read?

Scooter1
10-03-2009, 11:23 PM
OK, no more Koolaid drinking for this guy. This team has some major issues.

The positives.
1. We are 1-4 and will lose three OL. (wait that's a -)
2. We lose our starting QB for next year. (wait, no..that is a +)
3. We don't have to worry about the #2 QB getting injured.
4. Just think how much experience our #2 QB will have for next year.
5. All the kickbacks from other teams trying to pad offensive stats
6. DJ is finally being utilized to his fullest potential (WTF)
7. Linebacking recruits are freaking awesome.
8. Don't have to worry about an errant shot gun snap.
9. It's hard to return 16 yard punts...great strategy.
10. Everyone should be home for Thanksgiving
11. DJ won't have to worry about long runs being called back.
12. women's volleyball taking sting out of all-access pagage price.

The Negatives.
1. Bison Pride is dead on the football field.
2. This team expects to lose...and makes it come true.
3. Worst defensive coaching in the history of Bison football.
4. Freshman QB looks like an all world player. (for other team)
5. Even a MSUM wide receiver looks good angainst NDSU.
6. 2 INT for the year....Jesus.
7. Get to be excited about 6 redshirts being used up on a 1-4 team.
8. Averaging 19 PPG in the MVC
9. We play UNI next let's pull some more redshirts.
10. Can we take any more time getting in and out of the offensive huddle.
11. Our OL is going to SUCK next year.
12. Bohl is 7-9 with an all Bohl team.
13. The Bison play UNI and then SDSU can you say 1-6?
14. Indiana State looking forward to playing the Bison in Fargo.
15. UNI will be a 30 point favorite.
16. SDSU will keep the marker for the next three years.
17. NDSU is now the U of M of the MVC...thanks Craig.
18. Can't even beat Ill St at home on homecomming.
19. "Will you be there?" was in plea to the football team, not the fans.
20. First year I can go hunting and not worry about the Bison game.
21. UNI game at home...F' it... I'll be fishing.
22. Craig has the opportunity to screw up 6 more games.
23. 3 other talented QB on team = 3 opportunities to F' them up also.
24. No direction from head coach.
25. No offensive game plan change from game to game.
26. Poor tackling
27. 15 yard DB cushion not working like we thought.
28. Blitz package is the worst ever conceived.
29. Johnson and Boyer were all Bohl hype.
30. the 10 early verbal commits has me worried, now.

HerdBot
10-03-2009, 11:35 PM

We have no chance so I agree, let's get the young guys in right now.

DjKyRo
10-03-2009, 11:38 PM
We have no chance so I agree, let's get the young guys in right now.

Agreed. While it sucks to say it, this season is effectively over but a spot of light in this situation is that we have an opportunity to have, essentially "losable" games in which 2nd-3rd stringers can get a lot of valuable reps. Do we want to lose? Obviously not, but the pressure is off with tonight's loss - much as it hurts to say so.

The season's not over, but if Bohl deserves his job then he should recognize this as what it is - a chance to get his starters for next season on the field now.

A1pigskin
10-04-2009, 01:01 AM
There goes the ticket sales......