PDA

View Full Version : Helmet decal question

met1990
10-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Random question--I've noticed this for a while, but haven't thought much of it. When and why did NDSU go away from having players earn helmet stripes and decals? It looks like everyone wears the decal from Day No. 1 now.

aces1180
10-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Random question--I've noticed this for a while, but haven't thought much of it. When and why did NDSU go away from having players earn helmet stripes and decals? It looks like everyone wears the decal from Day No. 1 now.

I think that ended after the Babich administration...If I recall, Bohl has never had players on the sidelines with the "blank" helmets.

stevdock
10-01-2009, 02:14 PM
I might be wrong on this, but I believe Bohl brought this with him when he started. I remember him saying at some point that whether the get on the field during the game or just bring it every day to practice they are still a Bison and should be treated that way.

met1990
10-01-2009, 02:23 PM
I guess that shows how much I pay attention to the sidelines during games...

Green-N-Gold
10-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Good question! I noticed Brock Jensen warming up in Ames with all of his stripes, etc and wondered the same thing.

TheBisonator
10-01-2009, 06:10 PM
The Babich method with the single white stripe with no decal, full stripe with no decal was retarded, IMO. It sends the message to players that we aren't one team, that some of you guys are more important to us than others. Football teams are supposed to have unified helmet styles on the field. In any case, the days of 36 scholarships are over, so all players on the roster who play (56 travelling, 70 home) would have the same helmet design regardless.

I believe though that seniors still get some kind of small sticker on the front of their stripe.

met1990
10-01-2009, 06:18 PM
The Babich method with the single white stripe with no decal, full stripe with no decal was retarded, IMO.

That wasn't a Babich thing. SU had been doing that for eons before that. Anyone history buffs know when they started?

cbline
10-01-2009, 07:08 PM
That wasn't a Babich thing. SU had been doing that for eons before that. Anyone history buffs know when they started?

Rocky, for sure, had a number of "Pumpkin Head" players on the sidelines, but not sure if it started with him or not.

bisontwice
10-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Don't know for sure but at least back to the Morton era

SamsRams
10-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Don't know for sure but at least back to the Morton era

Yeah I think it goes back that far also.

This would not work with this team. So many True Freshman playing, it would have singled out the young kids in the early games.........then again maybe that doesn't matter being 1-3

Hansel
10-02-2009, 01:18 AM
I say bring it back

sometimes it is good to be humbled

A1pigskin
10-02-2009, 01:40 AM
One could argue both ways on this. Having to earn stripes may make you work harder. Without them you feel a part of the team. I would do without.

56BISON73
10-02-2009, 03:51 AM
Pumpkin heads?? stripes?? What the heck are you guys talking about????