PDA

View Full Version : Wide Receivers

G-city Bison Fan
09-28-2009, 10:22 PM
So as it has been brought up in numerous threads, what about our WR's.

Duchscher, Reed WR 6-1 193 RFr.
Greenprice, Teddy WR 6-2 192 RFr.
Hansen, Brady WR 6-4 192 Jr.
Holloway, Warren WR 6-1 188 So.
Howard, Justin WR 5-10 181 RFr.
Mack, Titus WR 5-9 168 Jr.
Powell-Calhoun, Nick WR 6-4 203 Fr.
Rogers, Sammie WR 6-1 199 Jr.
Schuring, Victor WR 5-10 190 Jr.
Wahlo, Jr., Cooper WR 6-2 175 Fr.
Washington, Shamen WR 5-6 148 Sr.
Williams, Gary WR 5-11 172 Jr.
Woods, Delane WR 5-11 175 Jr.

We all know about Holloway, Mack, Williams and Washington, but what about these other guys? Some of them pass the eyeball test and look great on paper, which is what is so confusing, how on earth are none of these guys able to supplant Washington? The kid is 5-6 148lbs, has never had great hands, and has obviously lost a step, how on earth is he not so far down on this depth chart that we forget about him?

Does anyone know anything about these guys?

NDSUstudent
09-28-2009, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if our best receivers are all true freshmen, I definitely think Bohl should pull a redshirt if one is ready.

Jay
09-28-2009, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if our best receivers are all true freshmen, I definitely think Bohl should pull a redshirt if one is ready.

Absolutely not. You don't pull a redshirt on a lost season.

Siouxfallsbison
09-28-2009, 11:51 PM
You will have the Gebhart kid next year......if that helps:hungry: :D

NDSUstudent
09-29-2009, 03:11 AM
Absolutely not. You don't pull a redshirt on a lost season.

Shamen is our WR2, if things are that bad I really would like to see a younger guy get a shot if he is ready. At some point in time we are going to need to develop another receiver and there is no time like the present.

G-city Bison Fan
09-29-2009, 03:41 AM
Shamen is our WR2, if things are that bad I really would like to see a younger guy get a shot if he is ready. At some point in time we are going to need to develop another receiver and there is no time like the present.

I agree, I don't know how on earth he is our WR2, I will be the first to rip on Mertens and some of the other seniors not pulling their weight, and Washington is definitely one of them.

Jay
09-29-2009, 03:48 AM
I have no problem with playing true freshman, but with the season almost half over and us having zero chance of the playoffs, you don't pull a redshirt.

NDSUstudent
09-29-2009, 03:49 AM
I agree, I don't know how on earth he is our WR2, I will be the first to rip on Mertens and some of the other seniors not pulling their weight, and Washington is definitely one of them.

Yep, I wish people would start realizing just how bad our receivers are. Nott even Brett Favre could work his magic with the way these guys have been performing.

People can say they are bad because of Nick but there were two passed on third down that our receivers just flat out dropped on third down last week, one of which Shamen could have ran a long ways with since Nick hit him right in stride.

NDSUstudent
09-29-2009, 03:52 AM
I have no problem with playing true freshman, but with the season almost half over and us having zero chance of the playoffs, you don't pull a redshirt.

We have played four games, there are seven left, if a freshman is good enough by all means play him. We can't go into next season with one receiver again, at some point somebody will have to step up and if it has to be a freshman so be it.

Jay
09-29-2009, 03:57 AM
So lets waste a year of eligibility now when our season is already over instead of maybe having him four years from now when our playoff hopes may be better. Okay. I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

NDSUstudent
09-29-2009, 04:07 AM
So lets waste a year of eligibility now when our season is already over instead of maybe having him four years from now when our playoff hopes may be better. Okay. I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

We've pulled what? Five redshirts already. You play your best players, if a young kid is showing something give him a chance, I am not advocating to pull redshirts just for the sake of trying to do something different.

The only reason I am saying this is because I think now is about the last chance to do it. If you wait any longer there isn't really enough games left to justify it.

That said, if a freshman was really good enough to be our WR2 or WR1 they would probably be on the field by now considering we have a guy that is about as tall as your average eighth grader as WR2.

G-city Bison Fan
09-29-2009, 03:00 PM
I don't want to call out specific players necessarily, but what about guys like Sammie Rogers?

6'1 199lb Jr.? How on earth hasn't this kid beat out Shamen for the WR2 spot? or Delane Woods, or any of these guys, I haven't even heard of these kids.

Thunder_Struck
09-29-2009, 03:47 PM
I think Woods is injured.

Thunder_Struck
09-29-2009, 03:48 PM
What is Schuring's status? He seemed to be a solid WR in the last two spring games.

Greenie
09-29-2009, 07:24 PM
The Bison WRs have not been solid since 2006 when they had Travis White, Kole Heckendorf, and John Majeski. Only 1 was Bohl's recruit (Heckendorf) and he hasn't hit paydirt since that.

HandoEX
11-24-2009, 02:58 PM
So why didn't a guy like Sammie Rogers get any playing time this year? Was he hurt? Ineligible? Red shirt? Just not ready to play MVFC ball?

SDbison
11-24-2009, 03:29 PM
So are all these guys still around to play next year. Anybody else that is not on this list? From what you have seen and heard how would you rank them today?
Who is Brady Hansen 6-4 Jr.?
Is Nick Powell-Calhoun 6-4 Fr. still around?
Who was good enough to play, but got hurt or needed to redshirt?

My rough rankings...guesses beyond #2:
1. Holloway, Warren WR 6-1 188 So.
2. Williams, Gary WR 5-11 172 Jr.
3. Powell-Calhoun, Nick WR 6-4 203 Fr.
4. Wahlo, Jr., Cooper WR 6-2 175 Fr.
5. Duchscher, Reed WR 6-1 193 RFr.
6. Rogers, Sammie WR 6-1 199 Jr.
7. Mack, Titus WR 5-9 168 Jr.
8. Greenprice, Teddy WR 6-2 192 RFr.
9. Woods, Delane WR 5-11 175 Jr.
10. Hansen, Brady WR 6-4 192 Jr.
11. Howard, Justin WR 5-10 181 RFr.
12. Schuring, Victor WR 5-10 190 Jr.

G-city Bison Fan
11-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I just can't figure this out, it would be one thing if these guys were terrible and we knew it, or hurt or something, but we have a glut of wide receivers that on paper look fantastic and we literally know nothing about them.

Do these guys even exist? Why aren't they on the field?

Wish I could get some answers, cause I definitely agree that the position was lacking a little bit this year and I just wonder where these guys are?

NDSUstudent
11-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I just can't figure this out, it would be one thing if these guys were terrible and we knew it, or hurt or something, but we have a glut of wide receivers that on paper look fantastic and we literally know nothing about them.

Do these guys even exist? Why aren't they on the field?

Wish I could get some answers, cause I definitely agree that the position was lacking a little bit this year and I just wonder where these guys are?

Redshirts...

Injuruy....
9. Woods, Delane WR 5-11 175 Jr.(ACL during fall camp)

Transfer...
11. Howard, Justin WR 5-10 181 RFr.(from Mankato so he had to sit)

OrygunBison
11-25-2009, 12:05 AM
For what it's worth, I think that Holloway and Williams had their best game on Saturday. Both had good catches of balls that were under thrown. Both also caught almost all of the balls that were thrown perfectly...with the exception of that one TD pass. (Can't remember who that was to.)

HandoEX
11-25-2009, 12:14 AM
For what it's worth, I think that Holloway and Williams had their best game on Saturday. Both had good catches of balls that were under thrown. Both also caught almost all of the balls that were thrown perfectly...with the exception of that one TD pass. (Can't remember who that was to.)

The one in the corner of the end zone? I think that was to Landon Smith IIRC.

Grizzled
11-25-2009, 02:27 AM
The one in the corner of the end zone? I think that was to Landon Smith IIRC.

You are right. It would have been a tough catch. Should have been caught but I'll cut some slack to a very solid blocking TE. Overall I was overall very pleased by our receivers this year. It was definately one position group that showed a lot of improvement over the year. I agree with others on this board that if our OL is good next year to go along with our very solid TE's, great depth at RB, and improving WR's our offense could be very good.

EndZoneQB
11-25-2009, 02:53 AM
You are right. It would have been a tough catch. Should have been caught but I'll cut some slack to a very solid blocking TE. Overall I was overall very pleased by our receivers this year. It was definately one position group that showed a lot of improvement over the year. I agree with others on this board that if our OL is good next year to go along with our very solid TE's, great depth at RB, and improving WR's our offense could be very good.

It seemed like they were open quite a bit throughout the year...we just seemed to have trouble getting the ball exactly where it needed to be. Granted, there were some drops during the year, but that happens to everyone once in awhile.

G-city Bison Fan
11-25-2009, 03:31 AM
Redshirts...

Injuruy....
9. Woods, Delane WR 5-11 175 Jr.(ACL during fall camp)

Transfer...
11. Howard, Justin WR 5-10 181 RFr.(from Mankato so he had to sit)

Thanks for finding that info, so hopefully these guys show something next year.

OrygunBison
11-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Granted, there were some drops during the year, but that happens to everyone once in awhile.

I wouldn't necessarily let them off the hook just yet. Sure, a few drops are to be expected but there were lots of them last year and even more this year. That steadily improved throughout the season with the best showing against YSU. Ultimately, this will improve with better QB play, whomever that might be.

And speaking of QB play, I watch a ton of FBS ball with a specific interest in PAC-10 and Big-10 teams. I am sometimes floored by the level of accuracy that I see sometimes. I think that is why I expect so much more out of our QB. Maybe I am unreasonable about this. If our QB was so good, he probably would've been snatched up by a bigger program.

Last weekend against Arizona, Oregon's Masoli had a couple of passes that dropped my jaw - into tight, crossing, multi-level coverage...right into the hands. Perfect timing, pinpoint accuracy, effortlessly. It made me cry.

BisoninNWMN
11-25-2009, 11:18 AM
We need much better WR play next year, period.

Poor route running, poor downfield blocking and inconsistent ball catching is the summary of this yrs WR play. Hopefully they improve over the offseason or bring in some better JUCOS.

One of the weakest spots on the team.

EndZoneQB
11-25-2009, 12:56 PM
And speaking of QB play, I watch a ton of FBS ball with a specific interest in PAC-10 and Big-10 teams. I am sometimes floored by the level of accuracy that I see sometimes. I think that is why I expect so much more out of our QB. Maybe I am unreasonable about this. If our QB was so good, he probably would've been snatched up by a bigger program.

Last weekend against Arizona, Oregon's Masoli had a couple of passes that dropped my jaw - into tight, crossing, multi-level coverage...right into the hands. Perfect timing, pinpoint accuracy, effortlessly. It made me cry.

To put this into prospective, Colt McCoy was only like a "2 star" recruit out of HS and many people didn't think he'd even make it in the Texas program. Some guys just develop.

Grizzled
11-25-2009, 01:36 PM
We need much better WR play next year, period.

Poor route running, poor downfield blocking and inconsistent ball catching is the summary of this yrs WR play. Hopefully they improve over the offseason or bring in some better JUCOS.

One of the weakest spots on the team.

You mean like the 3 we brought in this year. Huge help. I like the idea of developing our players better.

bisonmike2
11-25-2009, 04:31 PM
To put this into prospective, Colt McCoy was only like a "2 star" recruit out of HS and many people didn't think he'd even make it in the Texas program. Some guys just develop.

Yeah but Colt's girlfriend is hot. Is there a point to this post no. I just saw Colt's name and wanted an excuse to post a pic of his girlfriend.

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/colt-mccoy-girlfriend-rachel-glandorf.jpg

EndZoneQB
11-26-2009, 02:37 AM
Yeah but Colt's girlfriend is hot. Is there a point to this post no. I just saw Colt's name and wanted an excuse to post a pic of his girlfriend.

Oh, I'm a UT fan, you don't need any reason to post her picture(or mention Colt for that matter! haha). Any time will do, it doesn't get old!

onbison09
11-26-2009, 04:11 AM

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/colt-mccoy-girlfriend-rachel-glandorf.jpg

That's point enough. I wish I could rep you.

Ginsbach
11-26-2009, 06:03 AM
So are all these guys still around to play next year. Anybody else that is not on this list? From what you have seen and heard how would you rank them today?
Who is Brady Hansen 6-4 Jr.?
Is Nick Powell-Calhoun 6-4 Fr. still around?
Who was good enough to play, but got hurt or needed to redshirt?

My rough rankings...guesses beyond #2:
1. Holloway, Warren WR 6-1 188 So.
2. Williams, Gary WR 5-11 172 Jr.
5. Duchscher, Reed WR 6-1 193 RFr.
6. Rogers, Sammie WR 6-1 199 Jr.
7. Mack, Titus WR 5-9 168 Jr.
8. Greenprice, Teddy WR 6-2 192 RFr.
9. Woods, Delane WR 5-11 175 Jr.
10. Hansen, Brady WR 6-4 192 Jr.
11. Howard, Justin WR 5-10 181 RFr.
12. Schuring, Victor WR 5-10 190 Jr.

Hansen's a transfer from NDSCS. I believe he got a redshirt year this year. Solid, local player originally from Hankinson.

BisoninNWMN
11-27-2009, 11:53 AM
You mean like the 3 we brought in this year. Huge help. I like the idea of developing our players better.

Huge help???

WR play was very poor this year.

They need to get a lot better, period.

westnodak93bison
11-27-2009, 03:50 PM
imho the QBs better show some leadership and get together with these guys and do some serious work in the off season

SDbison
11-28-2009, 01:56 AM
Hansen's a transfer from NDSCS. I believe he got a redshirt year this year. Solid, local player originally from Hankinson.
Thanks for the info.

Grizzled
11-30-2009, 12:54 AM
Huge help???

WR play was very poor this year.

They need to get a lot better, period.

I was using something called SARCASM as we brought in 3 jucos this year and they didn't contribute in a year we could have used them.