PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota recruiting

tony
09-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Is this accurate?

Graduated: Roehl, Wurzbacher, Jangula, Belquist, and Harrington (5 starters, 4 all conference, 3 NFL camps).

Seniors: Keith Buckman, Matt Kittelson, Josh Lee (2 starters, Lee never got academically eligible)

Juniors: Matt Anderson, Michael Arndt, Landon Smith, Lee Vandal (all play, 2-3 starters)

Sophomores: Austin Richard, Luke Senger (1 starter, 1 transfer)

Redshirt Freshmen: Josh Horner, Austin Vetter (both playing)

True freshmen: Brandon Jemison, Ryan Drevlow, and Andrew Grothman (1 starting, 2 redshirts)

What I'm seeing here is that it sure looks like NDSU's track record with North Dakota recruits is phenomenal. One academic casualty and one transfer out of 23 guys. What got me thinking about this was some offhand comment I posted about recruiting in Houston because our track record with those recruits is horrible and, unless it improves, I think we'd be better off spending more time elsewhere.

If time permits, maybe I'll expand this post to show recruiting results for each state.

DjKyRo
09-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Not to mention an incoming ND class that includes Smith and Thorton, a 200-yard averager and and a state-champ-threat QB respectively. Very strong recruiting coming out of ND lately, and that's good to see.

onbison09
09-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Is this accurate?

Graduated: Roehl, Wurzbacher, Jangula, Belquist, and Harrington (5 starters, 4 all conference, 3 NFL camps).

Seniors: Keith Buckman, Matt Kittelson, Josh Lee (2 starters, Lee never got academically eligible)

Juniors: Matt Anderson, Michael Arndt, Landon Smith, Lee Vandal (all play, 2-3 starters)

Redshirt Freshmen: Josh Horner, Austin Vetter Gotta add Reed Duchscher from Rugby, ND. I don't know if he's gotten a catch yet but I know he's playing. It's always fun when you personally know someone on the team. (both playing)

True freshmen: Brandon Jemison, Ryan Drevlow, and Andrew Grothman (1 starting, 2 redshirts)

What I'm seeing here is that it sure looks like NDSU's track record with North Dakota recruits is phenomenal. One academic casualty and one transfer out of 23 guys. What got me thinking about this was some offhand comment I posted about recruiting in Houston because our track record with those recruits is horrible and, unless it improves, I think we'd be better off spending more time elsewhere.

If time permits, maybe I'll expand this post to show recruiting results for each state.

I caught one you missed. He's a walkon though so not a huge deal.

BadlandsBison
09-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Is this accurate?

Redshirt Freshmen: Josh Horner, Austin Vetter (both playing) Amos Buehner, Brock Gion

A couple South West kids that i believe were both walk-ons. Both pretty good players, and I am pretty sure they traveled to Southern Illinois. Amos was my country-neighbor back home...you might say i know him personally.

tony
09-29-2009, 01:18 AM
Ah, I wasn't very clear - I was just listing guys who were offered a scholarship out of high school since my interest was in the return NDSU is getting on its scholarship and recruiting budget dollars.

If a walk-on gets playing time and earns a schollie down the road, then that is obviously a big win (good luck to all those guys!)

BadlandsBison
09-29-2009, 01:28 AM
You make a good point...

onbison09
09-29-2009, 01:34 AM
Ah, I wasn't very clear - I was just listing guys who were offered a scholarship out of high school since my interest was in the return NDSU is getting on its scholarship and recruiting budget dollars.

If a walk-on gets playing time and earns a schollie down the road, then that is obviously a big win (good luck to all those guys!)

That's what I thought just like to rep Rugby when I get the chance. :)

CaBisonFan
09-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Historically, the core has been ND, MN, WI, SD...usually in that order. We've had some tremendous players out of Wisconsin. Wonder if it looks similar now...or have we branched out a lot?

BraxtonT
09-29-2009, 04:41 AM
What got me thinking about this was some offhand comment I posted about recruiting in Houston because our track record with those recruits is horrible and, unless it improves, I think we'd be better off spending more time elsewhere.

I would like to see us stop recruiting any players from more than 1000 miles away from Fargo. I've seen more downside from the California, Texas, and Florida guys than upside. Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and Chicago areas should be where we stay for getting the skilled positions taken care of. Give me the Upper Midwest guys who will not suffer from culture shock when they get here. Nothing personal against the guys from down South, but if they were good enough, they'd be playing for one of the schools in their own state.

Gully
09-29-2009, 11:52 AM
I would like to see us stop recruiting any players from more than 1000 miles away from Fargo. I've seen more downside from the California, Texas, and Florida guys than upside. Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and Chicago areas should be where we stay for getting the skilled positions taken care of. Give me the Upper Midwest guys who will not suffer from culture shock when they get here. Nothing personal against the guys from down South, but if they were good enough, they'd be playing for one of the schools in their own state.

Hey T, haven't run into you this year....I did talk to your dad at Iowa State though.

I think your point has some validity, BUT where is PP from?

EndZoneQB
09-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Hey T, haven't run into you this year....I did talk to your dad at Iowa State though.

St Louis, so still Midwest.

BraxtonT
09-29-2009, 01:19 PM

Hope to see you soon, maybe down in Brookings.

Just checked Rand-McNally: Fargo to St. Louis= 861 miles