PDA

View Full Version : Mertens to start Illinois State game

HandoEX
09-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Was listening to Hammer on my drive back to work 15 minutes ago. I am almost 100% sure that Hammer said Bohl plans to start Mertens for homecoming. Hammer said Bohl's press conference would be on 740am at 2:00.

*Edit*
Mertens IS starting.

bisonmike2
09-28-2009, 06:16 PM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0810/facepalm-face-palm-facepalm-demotivational-poster-1223672935.jpg

R.I.P 2009 season.

Tatanka
09-28-2009, 06:24 PM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/Koolmotiva.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/MightyCats/implied-facepalm.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/carl.jpg

Green-N-Gold
09-28-2009, 06:37 PM
If true, that is VERY VERY frustrating.

HandoEX
09-28-2009, 06:39 PM
http://216.117.157.184/740thefan/upl...SSER9-28_1.mp3

6:35 in, Bohl says he has no intention of changing QBs.

TransAmBison
09-28-2009, 06:42 PM
I think TAB is going to have to stop posting again for a day or two. The level of idiocy is reaching firetruck administration proportions.

bisonmike2
09-28-2009, 06:45 PM
http://216.117.157.184/740thefan/upl...SSER9-28_1.mp3

6:35 in, Bohl says he has no intention of winning this year.

fixed that for you. I also think I may need a break.

CaBisonFan
09-28-2009, 06:55 PM
I think TAB is going to have to stop posting again for a day or two. The level of idiocy is reaching firetruck administration proportions.

I think that CA may not watch. I am still a Bison fan, but I can't take the level of stupidity. They're toying with losing a part of the fan base, especially newer fans. We'll likely beat ISU no matter who plays QB, but that really isn't the point.

Bohl may have no intention of changing quarterbacks, but I'm quite sure that changing coaches is being discussed at high levels. I have a source that I can't name. Maybe we're finding out why things hit the slippery slope at Nebraska.

Notorious
09-28-2009, 06:58 PM
I think that CA may not watch. I am still a Bison fan, but I can't take the level of stupidity. They're toying with losing a part of the fan base, especially newer fans. We'll likely beat ISU no matter who plays QB, but that really isn't the point.

Bohl may have no intention of changing quarterbacks, but I'm quite sure that changing coaches is being discussed at high levels. I have a source that I can't name. Maybe we're finding out why things hit the slippery slope at Nebraska.

Everybody's got a "source".....and, I don't think it was a "slope" that was slippery at Nebraksa.

My source says he is fine. And, why would we change quarterbacks? Mertens is what we have....I don't think we need to change, just for the sake of change.

bisonmike2
09-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Everybody's got a "source".....and, I don't think it was a "slope" that was slippery at Nebraksa.

My source says he is fine. And, why would we change quarterbacks? Mertens is what we have....I don't think we need to change, just for the sake of change.

We absolutely do need change for the sake of change. We know what Mertens brings to the table. And what he brings won't win us too many football games. We need to find out what Moehler has. It's as simple as this. Mertens will not lead us to victory against UNI. Moehler may not either , but we don't know. The time is now to change it out.

Bison"FANatic"
09-28-2009, 07:04 PM

No we need to change for totall lack of performing the job you were brought in to do. Average isn't good enough and Mertens has been the definition of average (maybe not even average).

bisontwice
09-28-2009, 07:10 PM

Not sure what fan base we may be losing??? My "source" isn't reporting any changes in the works at this time. I think Taylor and Chapman are more realistic than some of the "fans." Who knows, maybe your source is better and mine is out to lunch.

MPLSbisonFAN
09-28-2009, 07:11 PM
this is terribly dissapointing, he's garbage

Notorious
09-28-2009, 07:11 PM
I respect everybody's opinion, but I have to believe the coaching staff has a better grasp of the QB situation than anyone of us....my guess is that Mohler is not nearly as capable as Mertens, or something would've been done already.

When times are tough, trust and faith are sometimes difficult. The remainder of the season will provide a great opporunity for Bohl, and Mertens, to prove their leadership ability and character. I happen to think we will be pleasantly surprised by the results.

Swany
09-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Not to impugn your sources, but I very much doubt a coaching change is being discussed at the "highest levels" right now for obvious reasons. While I'm not advocating one way or the other for a change in the coaching ranks - I'm not by the way - the claims of "sources" with knowledge that a change is being discussed reminds me of a quote:

"Those Who Know Don't Talk, And Those Who Talk Don't Know."

Do you really think someone "in the know" would leak such discussions (that are not even taking place, btw) to someone they knew would leak the info all over a message board? Again, I digress, ""Those Who Know Don't Talk, And Those Who Talk Don't Know."

That isn't the way the Bison program operates. Whoever is feeding you that "insider info" probably has a bridge to sell you too ...

Notorious
09-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Not to impugn your sources, but I very much doubt a coaching change is being discussed at the "highest levels" right now for obvious reasons. While I'm not advocating one way or the other for a change in the coaching ranks - I'm not by the way - the claims of "sources" with knowledge that a change is being discussed reminds me of a quote:

Do you really think someone "in the know" would leak such discussions (that are not even taking place, btw) to someone they knew would leak the info all over a message board? Again, I digress, ""Those Who Know Don't Talk, And Those Who Talk Don't Know."

That isn't the way the Bison program operates. Whoever is feeding you that "insider info" probably has a bridge to sell you too ...

Excellent Post !!

56BISON73
09-28-2009, 07:16 PM

BULL S----
Youve been beating that drum for some time now. Give it a rest.

bisonmike2
09-28-2009, 07:17 PM
I respect everybody's opinion, but I have to believe the coaching staff has a better grasp of the QB situation than anyone of us....my guess is that Mohler is not nearly as capable as Mertens, or something would've been done already.

When times are tough, trust and faith are sometimes difficult. The remainder of the season will provide a great opporunity for Bohl, and Mertens, to prove their leadership ability and character. I happen to think we will be pleasantly surprised by the results.

How much more time do we need? All of last year proved nothing, and the first 4 games have proved nothing. I was holding out that Mertens was going to be improved. And 1/4 through the season, I've seen enough to know he isn't. So now this year is trashed, and we are going to start a new QB next year regardless. Wouldn't it be nice to give one of the younger guys a head start on next year? Maybe Bohl's waiting to see us officially eliminated from the playoffs before he makes a change. I think that happens at 4 losses. If there isn't a new QB at the helm after 4 losses he'll have wasted this year and greatly jeopardized next year as well.

and another thing, "we'll be pleasantly surprised by the results?" WTF? No pleasantly surprised would be sitting at 3-1 now, even 2-2. Pleasantly surprised would be a defense that gives up less then 300 yards passing per game. Pleasantly surprised would be a QB that throws for 60% and has double the TD's than picks.

/rant over

CaBisonFan
09-28-2009, 07:18 PM

Good points. I like the quote. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. Maybe my source isn't accurate...but it's in the top office.

rutlandbison
09-28-2009, 07:20 PM
How much more time do we need? All of last year proved nothing, and the first 4 games have proved nothing. I was holding out that Mertens was going to be improved. And 1/4 through the season, I've seen enough to know he isn't. So now this year is trashed, and we are going to start a new QB next year regardless. Wouldn't it be nice to give one of the younger guys a head start on next year? Maybe Bohl's waiting to see us officially eliminated from the playoffs before he makes a change. I think that happens at 4 losses. If there isn't a new QB at the helm after 4 losses he'll have wasted this year and greatly jeopardized next year as well.
Ummmmm about 6 or 7 games should do.

silkamilkamonico
09-28-2009, 07:21 PM
I haven't been following the season as in depth as most of you guys, but I hear talk about Mohler, whatever happened to Perez? Is he hurt, or redshirting? Was he brought in specifically for depth until Mohler was ready to go? Is he just not what they thought he was?

56BISON73
09-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Good points. I like the quote. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. Maybe my source isn't accurate...but it's in the top office.

The Band office doesnt count.:D

bisonmike2
09-28-2009, 07:24 PM
I haven't been following the season as in depth as most of you guys, but I hear talk about Mohler, whatever happened to Perez? Is he hurt, or redshirting? Was he brought in specifically for depth until Mohler was ready to go? Is he just not what they thought he was?

Perez is red shirting.

roadwarrior
09-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Maybe my source isn't accurate...but it's in the top office.

If you are getting inside info from someone and then posting it here on the board, I feel sorry for the person trusting you with that inside info.

rutlandbison
09-28-2009, 07:25 PM
But Beyonce had one of the best videos of all time!!
http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/rt_Kanye_West_090914_main.jpg

Ok seriously, we all knew this was going to happen. We all hoped last year that jose's redshirt should be pulled it didn't. Bohl is going to stick with his guns here and go with Mertens. I am very dissapointed
http://images.cafepress.com/product/25146553_240x240_Front.jpg

Amused
09-28-2009, 07:34 PM
My sources say that Obama is still palling around with terrorists. (Very reliable sources)

Notorious
09-28-2009, 07:40 PM

Some good points...I think you present one of the scenarios that may come to fruition. It's a little early to say this year is trashed though.

ndsubison1
09-28-2009, 07:48 PM
why do we keep trying something that isnt working? Start Mohler and see what happens... maybe it would bring out the best in Mertens if Mohler didnt work out... this may not be the best example but last year when Andy Reid benched McNabb because of his sub-par performances, I really think it brought out the best in McNabb the next time he started and look what happened; they made it to the NFC Championship

NorthernBison
09-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Holy Crap! I just realized that the stage is now set for many geniuses to blame Mertens for every loss next season too. God help us.

Green-N-Gold
09-28-2009, 07:56 PM
So let's say we are "pleasantly surprised" and a near miralce happens and we go, say 5-2 the rest of the way. No playoffs. We still won't know what we could have done with Mohler. Maybe we'd go 3-4, maybe we'd go 7-0. The thing is we'll never know what could have been if a change isn't made. That's the most frustratiing part; the staff seems very conent to stay the course with an average at best, often below average QB. The upside potential of a change FAR outweighs the downside in my opinion.

bisonmike2
09-28-2009, 07:59 PM
But Beyonce had one of the best videos of all time!!
http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/rt_Kanye_West_090914_main.jpg

Ok seriously, we all knew this was going to happen. We all hoped last year that jose's redshirt should be pulled it didn't. Bohl is going to stick with his guns here and go with Mertens. I am very dissapointed
http://images.cafepress.com/product/25146553_240x240_Front.jpg

the correct use of the Kanye meme is to start with "<Name>, I know <insert scenario>, and I'm gonna to let you finish, but <statement related to scenario> is one of the greatest of all time."

Now you could have went a couple of different ways in this thread. Here's an example, feel free to use them if you want or play around and come up with one of your own.

"Bisonmike, I know your disappointed that Mertens will be starting against Illinois State, and I'm gonna let you finish, but Bohl is one of the greatest college minds of ALL TIME!

JSUBison
09-28-2009, 08:00 PM
http://newjerseybanditsigns.info/images/insanity-einstein_2.gif

G-city Bison Fan
09-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Maybe now isn't the best time to start Jose, maybe we go through Il St. for homecoming (which hopefully is a momentum building win), then we get UNI at home and SDSU on the road. Now the way I see it, we will be out of the playoffs by the end of that stretch. The following four games of the seasons are all fairly soft which after the SDSU game is when I am advocating starting Jose.

Mertens at this point in time probably gives this team the best chance to win, I highly doubt (even if he is talented) Jose getting his 2nd and 3rd starts against UNI and SDSU would be beneficial to the team or Jose, so let's let Mertens go ahead and play the next three games, and when we are firmly out of the playoffs, Jose can take a shot at those last four soft ones.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-28-2009, 08:48 PM
http://newjerseybanditsigns.info/images/insanity-einstein_2.gif

Exactly, we go 3-8, 4-7 if we're lucky.

Bohl will be done by the end of next season.

bisonmike2
09-28-2009, 09:00 PM
http://site.despair.com/images/dpage/consistency03.jpg

bisontwice
09-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Exactly, we go 3-8, 4-7 if we're lucky.

Bohl will be done by the end of next season.

Bohl will be done by the end of next season??? Sounds like you have already written off both this year and next year.

bisonmike2
09-28-2009, 09:04 PM
http://site.despair.com/images/dpage/perseverance03.jpg

Bison_Pride
09-28-2009, 09:04 PM
One of the knocks against Bohl has been that he is rarely friendly with players, to a point of not even knowing some of their names. It seems strange that he would be willing to hitch his coaching resume to a QB who has zero touch on his throws, and almost never progresses through his check downs, especially when it's needed most. Mertens is a great kid, but so was Tony Stauss. Look what that change did for the team. I like Bohl but a 3-8 this season is not going to cut it.

What's the projection date the first Bisonville topic of who should be the NEXT head coach to appear? I give it three weeks at this rate.

bisonmike2
09-28-2009, 09:08 PM
One of the knocks against Bohl has been that he is rarely friendly with players, to a point of not even knowing some of their names. It seems strange that he would be willing to hitch his coaching resume to a QB who has zero touch on his throws, and almost never progresses through his check downs, especially when it's needed most. Mertens is a great kid, but so was Tony Stauss. Look what that change did for the team. I like Bohl but a 3-8 this season is not going to cut it.

What's the projection date the first Bisonville topic of who should be the NEXT head coach to appear? I give it three weeks at this rate.

Could be as early as this week. If we drop the game against Illinois St. people will be grabbing their torches and pitchforks. If we win this week. Lose UNI and lose SDSU, then I think your right at 3 weeks.

MNLonghorn10
09-28-2009, 09:09 PM
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/willamette/recreation/ohv/images/mudding-fronttire.jpg

aces1180
09-28-2009, 09:22 PM

Today: Casey Bradley ;)

TransAmBison
09-28-2009, 09:23 PM
If only that were a possibility.

chuckles
09-28-2009, 09:23 PM
oh but "Nick did some good things" Bohl told me so on his show yesterday. This crap is getting very old.

On the positive, my sources told me tailgating begins at 7:30 on Sat!!

SUBISON247
09-28-2009, 09:28 PM

too bad we missed that one.

Jay
09-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Bohl will be done by the end of next season??? Sounds like you have already written off both this year and next year.

Well, we will most likely start off next year 0-2 unless something miraculous happens. (at Kansas and at UNI)

tjbison
09-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Fine Start him, but if he F's up and Bohl doesn't show any emotion then well

im done for the week Bye all

56BISON73
09-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Maybe now isn't the best time to start Jose, maybe we go through Il St. for homecoming (which hopefully is a momentum building win), then we get UNI at home and SDSU on the road. Now the way I see it, we will be out of the playoffs by the end of that stretch. The following four games of the seasons are all fairly soft which after the SDSU game is when I am advocating starting Jose.

Mertens at this point in time probably gives this team the best chance to win, I highly doubt (even if he is talented) Jose getting his 2nd and 3rd starts against UNI and SDSU would be beneficial to the team or Jose, so let's let Mertens go ahead and play the next three games, and when we are firmly out of the playoffs, Jose can take a shot at those last four soft ones.

Or you can give Jose a shot. He either steps up and puts a spark in the team or he doesnt. Either way we cant keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results.
I just dont understand the hold Mertens has on people.

bisondad
09-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Not sure if Bohl is under pressure or not, but collge football at this level is driven by money, and money comes from booster and fans, and boosters and fans DO care about the performance of the team. I'd say the temperature in the kitchen is getting uncomfortably warm...................

JacksFan06
09-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Everybody is throwing Merten's under the bus, and rightfully so, but it's not like he has very good targets to throw the ball to.

Receiving stats for 2009 4 games in:

Holloway 47 yds/game
Paschall 30
Shamen 21
Veldman 22

What the stats don't show is dropped balls and wrong routes run. Even Steve Walker would have trouble getting the ball downfield with NDSU's receivers.

G-city Bison Fan
09-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Or you can give Jose a shot. He either steps up and puts a spark in the team or he doesnt. Either way we cant keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

I am with ya PL, I feel like Mertens has had his shot and it is long overdue that Jose gets a chance. If it happens that Mertens gets off to a bad start next week, Jose is going in if it were my choice.

That being said, I am hesitant to let Jose get killed against UNI and SDSU. I would rather him play those last 4, all conference games, all winable and build something for next year, because I really feel that even if we had a decent starting QB we might not be a playoff team.*

*This last point can be argued a lot, because with a good QB our playbook could open back up again, the running game and wide receivers would look better, and even our defense would get a boost, everything is tied together.

NDSUstudent
09-28-2009, 10:18 PM
I only read the first few pages of this thread but I am not at all surprised to hear that Mertens is starting. Everything that Bohl has said about Mohler would point to Nick starting. I remember he said something about Jose not getting enough reps because of his DUI suspension.

That said, if Nick struggles I think he'll be pulled though.

extremerouge
09-28-2009, 10:20 PM

I think this is what has gotten Jose in trouble in the past...

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-28-2009, 10:59 PM

With the idiotic coaching decisions and the obvious lack of talent, yes next year will be a loss as well.

Anyone with half a brain can see this train wreck coming down the tracks.

BisonTruth
09-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Mohler has been with the Bison long enought that if he were truly better then Mertens he would be starting. The reason they dont put Mohler in is because he isnt as good as Mertens.

The quarterback problem goes back to bad coaching and bad recruiting. We clearly had a problem last year at quarterback and with the trouble we got in with Mohler and Jackson in the offseason the Bisons #1 priority should have been to get a quarterback. I would goes as far to say getting a couple maybe a juco transfer and a freshman.

99Bison
09-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Mohler has been with the Bison long enought that if he were truly better then Mertens he would be starting. The reason they dont put Mohler in is because he isnt as good as Mertens.

How does anyone know this if there hasn't been a chance in a real game... That's like saying Walker wasn't as good as Stauss.

BisonTruth
09-28-2009, 11:23 PM
How does anyone know this if there hasn't been a chance in a real game... That's like saying Walker wasn't as good as Stauss.

Thats true but, that was a unique situation. Its not that often you get a back up quarterback that steps up and plays the way Steve did. Really Stauss was a good player at one point, but in his senior season started playing worse and as a result was no longer the quarterback.

Mertens has never been good yet the coaching staff leaves him in?? It makes me wonder what the deal is with Mohler, why they wouldnt give him a chance maybe they know something we dont.

I wouldnt be opposed to putting in Mohler I just highly doubt your going to get a big improvement.

The point I was getting at was that coaches have done a poor job handling this whole situation.

aces1180
09-28-2009, 11:45 PM
If only that were a possibility.

I wonder what the state of Bison football would be like today if he had been given the job instead of Bohl?....Bradley bled green and yellow, and is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I would love to see him roam the sidelines of the Fargodome again someday.

BisonNolesFan77
09-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Well, just read all 6 pages of the thread, heard the news at the end of Hammers wonderful show today (It was about the useful info he had the entire hour), cant say I agree with the decision all that much.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about not wanting to throw Mohler up against UNI and SDSU in his would be 2nd and 3rd start, have to I disagree with this, if memory serves me correct, didn't many people (Myself included) think that Mertens was going to be pretty good after playing 2 cupcakes, he was 31/41 for 490 yards, 6 TD's and 1 INT...doing that math, that would mean, in the next 9 games, he was 121-219, 1514 Yards, 10 TD's, and 14 INTS. My whole point there is, I would much rather throw Jose out there against UNI and SDSU this season, to see what he has against legit Top 25 FCS teams, then to sit around the rest of this season with him on the bench, not knowing what he has, and if things fail, we piss away another season with below average QB play.

I guess the thing that pisses me off the most about this, is Mertens has been the starter for 15 games now, we are 7-8 in those games, he has proven what he brings to table, in my opinion he not progessed as a QB in those 15 games, it took only 4 games this season for the coaches to more or less say they don't have confidence in him by their play calling, his accuracy is garbage, his reads are garbage, the staff is rolling him out in part to take away half the field so he doesn't have to read the whole field, as much as I would love to eat this words by Mertens pulling it together, I don't see it happening.

Another thing, WR's seem to be brought up a lot, and I will admit that we are thin are WR, but how do we know what we really have there, mainly in Holloway, Mack, Veldman. Yes, I know they have been guilty of dropped balls, but they have also bailed Mertens out more than a few times by catching balls that were thrown piss poor to begin with. I guess all I am saying is, would these guys be better if they had someone who could consistantly put the ball where it needs to be? Recievers need a QB to get them the ball, and when you have a average (and thats being generous) QB, who cant make a read, and cant deliever a ball with accuracy, how is that putting a WR in position to see what he has?

Just my thoughts, I'm sure someone will disagree! :D

BisonNolesFan77
09-29-2009, 01:16 AM

The quarterback problem goes back to bad coaching and bad recruiting. We clearly had a problem last year at quarterback and with the trouble we got in with Mohler and Jackson in the offseason the Bisons #1 priority should have been to get a quarterback. I would goes as far to say getting a couple maybe a juco transfer and a freshman.

How do we know Mohler isn't as good as Mertens? Have we seen what Mohler can do in a meaningful game situation? I am by no means saying he would come in and be lights out, but the truth is, no one, the coaches included, know what they have until they get him some meaningful playing time in a game. I think thats the biggest thing that is pissing people off here, everyone has seen what Mertens brings to table, NONE of us know what Mohler would bring to the table in true game time, not mop up duty, wouldn't you say that it is at least time to see what Mohler can bring to the QB position?

westnodak93bison
09-29-2009, 01:17 AM
If you play Mohler against Illinois St. and he doesnt have it then you pull him and put Mertens back in. If his ego is that fragile that a benching will crush him then he isnt the right guy anyway.

NDSU1980
09-29-2009, 01:22 AM
Well, I'm not surprised. I'd say we are stuck with Mertens for the rest of the season. Mertens can screw up every game and Bohl won't change anything. Thank God this is his last season. Might be Bohl's too.

TheDoctor
09-29-2009, 01:22 AM

I agree with everything you say...including the credibility of Hammer er..your source. ;)

onbison09
09-29-2009, 01:33 AM
If you play Mohler against Illinois St. and he doesnt have it then you pull him and put Mertens back in. If his ego is that fragile that a benching will crush him then he isnt the right guy anyway.

EXACTLY! NAIL MEET HAMMER! Look I don't know Nick (I'm sure he works hard and all that jazz) and I don't like to throw college kids (and I one so that's kind of stupid when I say that lol) under the bus (although I have in GDTs :hide: :blush:) but what's the harm in trying Jose? If Nick was like most athletes I've been around and talked to he would be pissed off he got benched and would want to prove the coaches wrong.

BisonNolesFan77
09-29-2009, 02:13 AM
EXACTLY! NAIL MEET HAMMER! Look I don't know Nick (I'm sure he works hard and all that jazz) and I don't like to throw college kids (and I one so that's kind of stupid when I say that lol) under the bus (although I have in GDTs :hide: :blush:) but what's the harm in trying Jose? If Nick was like most athletes I've been around and talked to he would be pissed off he got benched and would want to prove the coaches wrong.

BINGO! If a QB's confidence is so fragile that it is gone with a benching, he doesn't have what it takes to be a successful QB at this level. Play Mohler, see what you have, see if you need to go after a JUCO or Transfer this summer. If anything, Mertens benching should be motivation.

HerdBot
09-29-2009, 02:23 AM
Was listening to Hammer on my drive back to work 15 minutes ago. I am almost 100% sure that Hammer said Bohl plans to start Mertens for homecoming. Hammer said Bohl's press conference would be on 740am at 2:00.

*Edit*
Mertens IS starting.

What did Einstein say the definition of insanity was?

RunDMc34
09-29-2009, 02:35 AM
This ruined my whole day when i heard this tonight, I was just hoping that we would just try something different. As a guy who has done some coaching sometimes you just need to make a change to see if things improve. Right now things can't be much worse, even if Mertens beats ISU it means nothing cuz UNI is going to straight up throttle us (btw this is the first time I have thought this since Bohl has been coaching here). Worst case scenerio Mohler just is horrid vs ISU and we lose but we then know what we have with him in a game situation, some guys just arent practice players.

bisonmike2
09-29-2009, 02:42 AM
If we think this is bad, how shiatty will it get when SDSU gets a playoff game and we are sitting at home? It's going to happen this year. Then need just 5 more wins to get them to that magic number 8 and they have a very favorable schedule to do so. Hell they might even be hosting a game. Imagine if I would have said this to you 4 years ago. SDSU will be hosting a playoff game before NDSU even gets into the playoffs. If that doesn't fire you up, nothing will.

RunDMc34
09-29-2009, 02:44 AM
If we think this is bad, how shiatty will it get when SDSU gets a playoff game and we are sitting at home? It's going to happen this year. Then need just 5 more wins to get them to that magic number 8 and they have a very favorable schedule to do so. Hell they might even be hosting a game. Imagine if I would have said this to you 4 years ago. SDSU will be hosting a playoff game before NDSU even gets into the playoffs. If that doesn't fire you up, nothing will.

Ive actually been thinking about that quite a lot. How the hell did we switch places with SDSU in just over 2 seasons. 2 years ago i was down in SD telling bunny fans they had no shot at beating us. That we didnt need any luck we were straight up more talented then they were.

Now they could say that same shit to us its really really sad:smh:

ndsubison1
09-29-2009, 03:39 AM
maybe mertens will get injured, i mean that's how Tom Brady got discovered (Bledsoe got injured)... kidding of course. but seriously, but thats what it will take to see a different qb?

ndsubison1
09-29-2009, 03:40 AM

no, mohler hurt his chances by making dumb ass choices in the off-season

BlueBisonRock
09-29-2009, 03:46 AM

Bisonville after a loss. :D

RuralBison
09-29-2009, 04:15 AM
i did not see the the game, but did watch the bohl show. nick was 9-23 passing and sacked four times, along with being under pressure other times. Get rid of the two dropped passes and complete 3 of 4 on the sacks and his numbers end up 14 of 27 not great, but ok.

What I'm trying to say is our pass protection also needs to be better. It sounds like on saturday our full time fullback will be back playing. Not that he is a savior, but knocking the stuffing out of that little linebacker that caused so much havic last weekend would sure be nice. One good lick can sure slow down anyone blitzing.

I'm not saying Nick should continue on as starter, or that Jose should get his shot, I'm just saying that whoever is back there, their job just got easier with Vandal in at 246 lbs, compared to a true freshman at 220.

Again nothing against Bruehn, he has done an admirable job, but he isn't the real deal yet.

Welcome back Lee Vandal and kick some as.....

56BISON73
09-29-2009, 04:26 AM
i did not see the the game, but did watch the bohl show. nick was 9-23 passing and sacked four times, along with being under pressure other times. Get rid of the two dropped passes and complete 3 of 4 on the sacks and his numbers end up 14 of 27 not great, but ok.

What I'm trying to say is our pass protection also needs to be better. It sounds like on saturday our full time fullback will be back playing. Not that he is a savior, but knocking the stuffing out of that little linebacker that caused so much havic last weekend would sure be nice. One good lick can sure slow down anyone blitzing.

I'm not saying Nick should continue on as starter, or that Jose should get his shot, I'm just saying that whoever is back there, their job just got easier with Vandal in at 246 lbs, compared to a true freshman at 220.

Again nothing against Bruehn, he has done an admirable job, but he isn't the real deal yet.

Welcome back Lee Vandal and kick some as.....

The replacement FB wasnt the problem. Alot of the pressure was coming from the backside.

RuralBison
09-29-2009, 04:32 AM
I agree that he wasn't the problem, and my props go out to him for as well as he has played.

However, I don't care where the blitz came from, I'm just saying that if that smallish linebacker gets laid out flat on his back just one time, he will not come nearly as hard next time.

Also props go to you for noticing that he did come from the backside the one time I saw it on the Bohl show. I also did not see a fb in on that play. I just feel that getting a player of Lee's caliber back will help anyone when it comes to pass protection and or power running.

BisoninNWMN
09-29-2009, 11:09 AM
When Montana was running the west-coast very well, he had Rathman as a fullback and Craig as the RB. Vandal will help but our pass protection needs to get better.

Hopefully the team gets it together this weekend and kicks some a**!!

stevdock
09-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Over and over and over again in this thread it is stated that WE need to know what we have for next year. Why do we need to know?? WE can't make any decisions other than to put heat on administration to make a coaching change. Maybe the coaches already know what we have on the bench and are going with the best option. Mr. Mohler only has himself to blame for not giving the coaches a true chance to be evaluated and to win the QB position. I know that if I were the coach of the Bison I would have a hard time giving the keys to the program to someone who has screwed up so badly.

coloradobison
09-29-2009, 02:38 PM
I agree that he wasn't the problem, and my props go out to him for as well as he has played.

However, I don't care where the blitz came from, I'm just saying that if that smallish linebacker gets laid out flat on his back just one time, he will not come nearly as hard next time.

Also props go to you for noticing that he did come from the backside the one time I saw it on the Bohl show. I also did not see a fb in on that play. I just feel that getting a player of Lee's caliber back will help anyone when it comes to pass protection and or power running.

Does anyone else believe the play calling has a little to do with it? I seem to recall a few rushed passes and the sacks. We were going against a Dale Lennon team and we know he is infamous for numerous blitzes. Quick routes or extra guys in for protection seem logical to help protect against this.

Tatanka
09-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Does anyone else believe the play calling has a little to do with it? I seem to recall a few rushed passes and the sacks. We were going against a Dale Lennon team and we know he is infamous for numerous blitzes. Quick routes or extra guys in for protection seem logical to help protect against this.

Ahh, and there's the rub. Do we have the personnel to effectively run this type of play? Wouldn't you think that a couple of quick routes or screen passes would slow down the blitz (or at least keep them honest?) Of course! Certainly an O-Coordinator knows this in spades. Obviously there is no confidence in the personnel.

bisontwice
09-29-2009, 03:06 PM
While it will be good to have Vandal back and Hushka as well, we already have the FCS leading rusher in PP. Bohl has it right-our passing game is not putting fear into anyone at this time.
I'm not going to bash Mertens as I think the blame can be spread around from some not good passes, dropped passes, poor routes and seperation by the receivers, not great pass protection at times. Sounds like a lot to fix in a passing game at this time but it is something they appear to be working hard at fixing.

BisManBison
09-29-2009, 03:44 PM

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. What do I win??? What do I win???

bisonmike2
09-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. What do I win??? What do I win???

Your reward is that you get to watch Mertens try to play QB against Illinois St.

tony
09-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Heh, I think the blame distribution is a little skewed. I think the definition of insanity would be to think that putting a new QB that the coaches don't think is significantly better than Mertens is going to improve the defense or pass blocking or that it'll help receivers create separation, run the right routes and/or catch balls that bounce off of them, etc.

Football is a team sport so the whole team has to improve. The only good news is that the margin between W's and L's is not that large right now even though there are a whole lot of areas that could use some improving.

How many points did the Bison score against SIU with Walker at QB and all those pre-Bohl recruits? :)

Disclaimer: I'm not sure how good a football team SIU is now or how good they were then and I hate using them as a benchmakr. Sure hope Bohl & co put a 40 point margin of victory muzzle on those yappy mutts.

bisonmike2
09-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Heh, I think the blame distribution is a little skewed. I think the definition of insanity would be to think that putting a new QB that the coaches don't think is significantly better than Mertens is going to improve the defense or pass blocking or that it'll help receivers create separation, run the right routes and/or catch balls that bounce off of them, etc.

Football is a team sport so the whole team has to improve. The only good news is that the margin between W's and L's is not that large right now even though there are a whole lot of areas that could use some improving.

How many points did the Bison score against SIU with Walker at QB and all those pre-Bohl recruits? :)

Disclaimer: I'm not sure how good a football team SIU is now or how good they were then and I hate using them as a benchmakr. Sure hope Bohl & co put a 40 point margin of victory muzzle on those yappy mutts.

I get what your saying. I've been way more critical of Nick than any other failing component of our team. Mainly because he's the engine of the offense. He's the one that gets his hands on the ball every play and he's the easiest to critique. When he throws the ball into the hands of a defender, it's pretty easy to say that's not what he should be doing. At the end of the game, you can can look at his stat line as see, 9-23, that's not good. I'm not naive enough to think Moehler would make all of our other problems go away, I'm just curious to see what this kid has. I get the coaches see them everyday in practice, but some guys turn it up for a game. Moehler strikes me as a cocky, arrogant kid (my opinion, largely based on hearsay and rumors). Maybe he's the type of kid that would flourish under the pressure of a game. All I know is that Nick's been consistently disappointing through 15 games, and even if Moehler comes in and plays horribly, 1) we're still probably good enough to beat Illinois St, 2) we're not executing Nick. If Jose sucks, put back in Nick. Then we'll know what we got.

tony
09-29-2009, 04:32 PM
I get what your saying. I've been way more critical of Nick than any other failing component of our team...

I totally get what you (and others) are saying too. As long as the criticsm of Nick is fair and reasonably civil, so be it.

Anyway, I'd sure hope that we've got a great QB waiting to blossom sitting on our bench so the team is strong next year.

NorthernBison
09-29-2009, 04:49 PM

Without looking it up, I think we lost 9-0 the last time we played in Carbondale. I believe that Steve blew out his knee on a scramble when we were driving and lost a fumble as a result of the hit that ended his season.

SIU was a very salty team that year. I believe they were ranked #1 for part of the year (edit: Ranked #11 when we played them). By contrast, they are a Top 10 team right now.

OldBison
09-29-2009, 05:08 PM

Truer words were never spoken :p

OldBison
09-29-2009, 05:11 PM

Those aren't blitzes, he is the rush LB. The LT failed to pick him up, three times. It is the LT responsibility when the defense runs a 3-4 alignment.

OldBison
09-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Bohl has it right-our passing game is not putting fear into anyone at this time.

Ah yes, but he still has confidence in it :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

bisonmike2
09-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Without looking it up, I think we lost 9-0 the last time we played in Carbondale. I believe that Steve blew out his knee on a scramble when we were driving and lost a fumble as a result of the hit that ended his season.

SIU was a very salty team that year. I believe they were ranked #1 for part of the year (edit: Ranked #11 when we played them). By contrast, they are a Top 10 team right now.

and the weather was horrible. very windy if I recall. but I'm not making any excuses.

OldBison
09-29-2009, 05:24 PM

SIU was very good that year. They won their first game in the playoffs but lost to eventual champion Appy State. That is traditionally what SIU does, they win their first game but lose in the quarterfinals, except in 2007 when they lost in the semifinals and last year when they lost in the first round.

OldBison
09-29-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm not naive enough to think Moehler would make all of our other problems go away, I'm just curious to see what this kid has. I get the coaches see them everyday in practice, but some guys turn it up for a game. Moehler strikes me as a cocky, arrogant kid (my opinion, largely based on hearsay and rumors).

It's spelled Mohler, as in M-0-H-L-E-R. No 'e' in between the o and the h. I notice you always spell his name wrong. Do you like it when people spell your name wrong?

He is likely the next QB for the Bison, the least we can all do is spell his name, and the names of all the players, correctly. Show some pride.:blush:

steelbison
09-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Not sure what fan base we may be losing??? My "source" isn't reporting any changes in the works at this time. I think Taylor and Chapman are more realistic than some of the "fans." Who knows, maybe your source is better and mine is out to lunch.

great post reps to you!! CA losing fans? that is why our season tickets are the highest ever? If the coach thinks a change was needed it would be made. with Mohler missing spring ball and with his history maybe coach doesnt trust him?

bisonmike2
09-29-2009, 05:49 PM
It's spelled Mohler, as in M-0-H-L-E-R. No 'e' in between the o and the h. I notice you always spell his name wrong. Do you like it when people spell your name wrong?

He is likely the next QB for the Bison, the least we can all do is spell his name, and the names of all the players, correctly. Show some pride.:blush:

If little things like spelling made me angry, I'd be pissed all the time. I'll learn his name when he does something for our program. Excuse me while I take home the team program to study for my next Bison Pride quiz that I assume you'll be administering.

TransAmBison
09-29-2009, 05:53 PM
You know things are going pretty bad on Bisonville when BisonMike is getting a little testy. (hehehehe...I said little testy) Look at what Mertens has done! It's all his fault. I think I am going to mispell his name from now on to show my angst! :D

*For the record, I actually do think it is good to make sure names are spelled correctly...but we are all running short on tact when replying to each other. C'mon guys, direct your anger at UTH**...he's a commie lovin' bas**** and deserves everything he gets.:D
**Hope your trip was safe bud. Take care and come home safe!

NDSU1980
09-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Over and over and over again in this thread it is stated that WE need to know what we have for next year. Why do we need to know?? WE can't make any decisions other than to put heat on administration to make a coaching change. Maybe the coaches already know what we have on the bench and are going with the best option. Mr. Mohler only has himself to blame for not giving the coaches a true chance to be evaluated and to win the QB position. I know that if I were the coach of the Bison I would have a hard time giving the keys to the program to someone who has screwed up so badly.

The problem is, we know what we have for this year and it isn't pretty. We simply cannot suffer through these failures week after week. Play Moher so he gets some experience and maybe we can turn this around.

bisonmike2
09-29-2009, 05:57 PM
You know things are going pretty bad on Bisonville when BisonMike is getting a little testy. (hehehehe...I said little testy) Look at what Mertens has done! It's all his fault. I think I am going to mispell his name from now on to show my angst! :D

*For the record, I actually do think it is good to make sure names are spelled correctly...but we are all running short on tact when replying to each other. C'mon guys, direct your anger at UTH**...he's a commie lovin' bas**** and deserves everything he gets.:D
**Hope your trip was safe bud. Take care and come home safe!

exactly. I've been typing Mertens too many times. He has several e's in his name. Naturally I carried that over to Jose's* name.

*I'm going with Jose from now on as to never again make the mortal mistake of misspelling his name. In the future, if I'm not sure of a players name I may refer to them by position and number and if I'm not sure of that, I may refer to them as "guy".

Bison9
09-29-2009, 06:00 PM
I told all you Chachis on here 2 years ago that Walker made that team. Seriously, you guys should have listened to me about this. That kid could have played at Northwestern in a heartbeat and he lived right in their backyard.

All you guys ripped me for the Walker thing saying we got good defense and our RB's are awesome... yadda yadda yadda. But the same is pretty much true for this year too (as Paschall is a an extreme baller and the D is a little worse than in years past but not by too much - I mean look at all those crazy wins in the past with Walker at the helm - they still were scoring crazy on us, but we just won back then)... No, the bottom line is that Bohl is still a great coach and Walker was a great player - it starts at QB boys... And that Walker kid, he was only as good as his mentor

Croiky I wish I was like einke right now.... I'll leave that for a different day.

Bison9
09-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Scuse me, einke = "Weinke"... Again, for a different day!

Green-N-Gold
09-29-2009, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=TransAmBison;309662]You know things are going pretty bad on Bisonville when BisonMike is getting a little testy. (hehehehe...I said little testy) Look at what Mertens has done! It's all his fault. I think I am going to mispell his name from now on to show my angst! :D

For any of you that remember Lou Richardson, she gave you a 0 on any paper submitted with a misspelled proper name in MassComm Newswriting 101. That taught a person in a hurry! :)

NDSU1980
09-29-2009, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=

For any of you that remember Lou Richardson, she gave you a 0 on any paper submitted with a misspelled proper name in MassComm Newswriting 101. That taught a person in a hurry! :)

Lou must have gotten testy when you were there, because I specifically remember she dropped you one letter grade for each name. Trust me, I got dropped once for a typo and I remembered after that.

NorthernBison
09-29-2009, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=TransAmBison;309662]You know things are going pretty bad on Bisonville when BisonMike is getting a little testy. (hehehehe...I said little testy) Look at what Mertens has done! It's all his fault. I think I am going to mispell his name from now on to show my angst! :D

"alot" got you an F too.

X-Factor
09-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Those aren't blitzes, he is the rush LB. The LT failed to pick him up, three times. It is the LT responsibility when the defense runs a 3-4 alignment.

Sounds like your saying he just missed his blocks and that echoes what Bohl said in the presser. If I remember correctly, wasn't it the left tackle during the Iowa State game that was basically getting worked on almost every passing play? Having Buckman playing inside has obviously opened up our running game, given him the best shot at the NFL, and I am sure Paschall is as thankful as anyone. But it seems to have hindered the pass protection a bit as we do not have another blocker like Buckman. From what I have seen of Arndt he is solid. I am glad he is returning at tackle for next year.

BisonNeil
09-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Sounds like your saying he just missed his blocks and that echoes what Bohl said in the presser. If I remember correctly, wasn't it the left tackle during the Iowa State game that was basically getting worked on almost every passing play? Having Buckman playing inside has obviously opened up our running game, given him the best shot at the NFL, and I am sure Paschall is as thankful as anyone. But it seems to have hindered the pass protection a bit as we do not have another blocker like Buckman. From what I have seen of Arndt he is solid. I am glad he is returning at tackle for next year.

Buckman played RT for the past two seasons and has never been at LT, so this is a non-factor, in my opinion.

I did hear, however, that they moved Buckman inside because he got used and abused a bit on the edge last year against really good teams, such as UNI. Ebel and Arndt were rotating at LT and Fuchs felt the best combination of OT, as well as the whole line, was to move Buckman inside and Ebel to the right. This combination was the best to utilize the best OL that the Bison could put together. Remember, this is not a particularly deep unit.

If you recall, when Safe graduated they had a knockdown drag out fight at LT between Ebel, Backowski and Arndt. Backowski's back caused him to call it quits, but during that position battle Perles talked to Kolpack about the strengths and weaknesses of all three. Arndt was a better pass protector and the most athletic but Perles said he needed to be more physical in run blocking. Ebel was just the opposite. If Perles evaluation was correct, then my guess is Fuchs moved Ebel to the ROT in order to have the best option at pass protection on Nick's blind side. But, this is just a guess.

Bison101
10-01-2009, 01:36 AM
Buckman played RT for the past two seasons and has never been at LT, so this is a non-factor, in my opinion.

I did hear, however, that they moved Buckman inside because he got used and abused a bit on the edge last year against really good teams, such as UNI. Ebel and Arndt were rotating at LT and Fuchs felt the best combination of OT, as well as the whole line, was to move Buckman inside and Ebel to the right. This combination was the best to utilize the best OL that the Bison could put together. Remember, this is not a particularly deep unit.

If you recall, when Safe graduated they had a knockdown drag out fight at LT between Ebel, Backowski and Arndt. Backowski's back caused him to call it quits, but during that position battle Perles talked to Kolpack about the strengths and weaknesses of all three. Arndt was a better pass protector and the most athletic but Perles said he needed to be more physical in run blocking. Ebel was just the opposite. If Perles evaluation was correct, then my guess is Fuchs moved Ebel to the ROT in order to have the best option at pass protection on Nick's blind side. But, this is just a guess.

What happened to our depth since then?:hide:

OldBison
10-01-2009, 01:06 PM
If little things like spelling made me angry, I'd be pissed all the time. I'll learn his name when he does something for our program. Excuse me while I take home the team program to study for my next Bison Pride quiz that I assume you'll be administering.

Okay Mikeey. From your response I can only guess you don't care if people spell your name wrong in real life, or on this blog. Good luck to you Mikiey.:bow:

bisonmike2
10-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Okay Mikeey. From your response I can only guess you don't care if people spell your name wrong in real life, or on this blog. Good luck to you Mikiey.:bow:

It happens. Not a big deal.