PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Strategy

CaBisonFan
09-27-2009, 03:29 PM
We have an excellent running game, but when we pass, it's too obvious...obviously.

I have a hunch that the offensive line doesn't know what to do with this situation. They're doing a great job with run blocking, but when we 'do' pass, it's so predictable that the defense brings the house, with single coverage on our receivers.

We have a lightning-quick QB that's standing on the sidelines who needs a serious look. Yes...we only saw 3 plays against Wagner...which also lends to the question as to why we only saw 3 plays in a blowout. Deja vu all over again. Can this coaching staff adapt? Is it bohled enough?

Granted, three plays is not a good gauge...but I saw a lightning-quick athlete that threw a rocket to the only spot where it could have been caught. He threaded the needle with that rocket, without hesitation, with a super-quick release, a super-quick rollout, and something that I really miss. It's called confidence. Wouldn't it be nice, as a fan, to feel confident in the offense again??

It seemed like the receiver responded appropriately to a great pass, by catching it. It was on the money, and catchable. I saw confidence on that play...without a huge celebration. It appeared to be 'business as usual,' like he'd done it a thousand times.

A team leader with confidence can have an effect on everything...including the coaches, and how they run their 'strategery.' :D

PS - I agree with statements about Nick Mertens. This is not his fault...and he does not 'suck.' The coaches continue to put him out there. He is a great young man with some excellent athletic attributes...but it appears that he doesn't have the quickness (in many areas) to do what is needed. And if he had confidence, it is gone.

westnodak93bison
09-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Maybe he is reluctant to pull Mertens cause he is a local kid. I cant think of any other reason. How much more do we need to see?

tjbison
09-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Maybe he is reluctant to pull Mertens cause he is a local kid. I cant think of any other reason. How much more do we need to see?

OMG if that is the reason he should be gone! not saying you were implying that but if he doesn't understand you need the BEST players on the field somethings wrong

CaBisonFan
09-27-2009, 03:43 PM

We've seen enough...and I would really like the Mertens bashing to stop...yesterday. We have a coaching situation that is problematic. I think that this staff can do the job, but they're not using their heads concerning the field leader. If they refuse to respond, I fear that someone else will make the decision for them late this fall. I don't want Bohl to leave. He's done a lot for Bison football during the transition...but he needs to make the transition.

CaBisonFan
09-27-2009, 03:47 PM
OMG if that is the reason he should be gone! not saying you were implying that but if he doesn't understand you need the BEST players on the field somethings wrong

westnodak brings up a legitimate point, but I agree with you too tj. What could possibly be the reason for 'not' playing other quarterbacks? We've seen this pattern for several years now. I look at Steve Walker as being up there with Bentrim, Simdorn, Beachy, Feeney, and QB's from the Erhardt era. But he was on the field entirely too much when games had already been decided.

OldBison
09-27-2009, 03:49 PM
We've seen enough...and I would really like the Mertens bashing to stop...yesterday. We have a coaching situation that is problematic. I think that this staff can do the job, but they're not using their heads concerning the field leader. If they refuse to respond, I fear that someone else will make the decision for them late this fall. I don't want Bohl to leave. He's done a lot for Bison football during the transition...but he needs to make the transition.

Bohl did a great job as long as he had the athletes Babich could recruit. He has yet to demonstrate that he can recruit the truly great athlete that can play and lead a team.:ranting:

unbison
09-27-2009, 03:51 PM
They have a strategy?

CaBisonFan
09-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Bohl did a great job as long as he had the athletes Babich could recruit. He has yet to demonstrate that he can recruit the truly great athlete that can play and lead a team.:ranting:

And if this is true, then changes need to be made. It appears that we have some great young recruits, but it's too early to know. I'd like to see Bohl succeed, but he seems to be stuck in the mud.

CaBisonFan
09-27-2009, 03:55 PM
They have a strategy?

Yes...but most of us could call the defensive plays against it. But it's a fair question.

Gully
09-27-2009, 03:57 PM

Not that I'm happy with the results...Bohl had a lot of players on the team that beat Minnesota and I think there are a lot of great players on this team. Think about it..run, run, pass on 3rd and still manage to be competitive against a team like SIU. We may have recruiting holes at certain positions but I'm not sure how you can imply he can't recruit. The strategy and play calling the last two years.....well that's another matter.

CaBisonFan
09-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Not that I'm happy with the results...Bohl had a lot of players on the team that beat Minnesota and I think there are a lot of great players on this team. Think about it..run, run, pass on 3rd and still manage to be competitive against a team like SIU. We may have recruiting holes at certain positions but I'm not sure how you can imply he can't recruit. The strategy and play calling the last two years.....well that's another matter.

I tend to agree Gully. I don't think that our talent is being utilized well. One example: Last night we needed to calm down the pass rush, but we either couldn't, or wouldn't try some quick-out passes. Many of our passing plays were the slow-developing type...or a screen pass into traffic. SIU had this figured out after one or two tries.

NDSU1980
09-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Bohl's strategy is this. Play Mertens. Lose game. Make excuses. Repeat.

It' obvious Mertens has to go. Now.

bisonmike2
09-27-2009, 04:55 PM

Well, you put it that way it doesn't sound like a very good strategy at all.:)

MPLSbisonFAN
09-27-2009, 05:59 PM

It' obvious Mertens has to go. Now.

Probably the truest strategy that we have all seen been playing out, put jose in the game

A1pigskin
09-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Our passing scheme seems to be weak in many areas...

A1pigskin
09-27-2009, 07:36 PM
I have to leave. I am irritated.

56BISON73
09-27-2009, 07:52 PM
The reason I would suggest changing QBs is because the team just doesnt have any chemistry with Mertens. He also misses alot of open receivers because he is straing down his primary receiver. Plus its not like Mertens is tearing it up. Not to mention he just cant make it happen.
Something needs to change.

IzzyFlexion
09-27-2009, 08:27 PM
PL,
Did you see Vandal in uniform last night? The SIU announcers said that he was back for last night's game but I didn't see him get into the game.
Also, aside from PP's leg cramps, did you obseve any other injury problems that might impact next week's game?

westnodak93bison
09-27-2009, 08:31 PM
if we are not going to pass we may as well go with an 8 man front
and pass out of that to a TE 8-10 times per game and be done with it since the opposing D is gonna stack the box anyway, why put a poor blocking WR on the field when we have ample TEs.

tony
09-27-2009, 08:50 PM
if we are not going to pass we may as well go with an 8 man front
and pass out of that to a TE 8-10 times per game and be done with it since the opposing D is gonna stack the box anyway, why put a poor blocking WR on the field when we have ample TEs.

I like it! Pound it at Illinois State and get a W. I mean, it seems like Shamen is the one WR who seems to be able to create separation but, unfortunately, he hasn't quite got the whole receiving part down yet.

As far as game plan, I actually thought the offensive game plan was very good. It seemed to be designed to keep our defense off the field - and it worked as NDSU had an almost 2:1 advantage in possession. The defense still has a long way to go and keeping them off the field seems like the best chance of winning right now. Not sure what was wrong with Prevlitz - dinged up or something maybe - because he and the punt team had been absolutely stellar up until last night. The coverage is terrible - I mean I love the way Horner plays but, man, he was a loose cannon out there last night.

CaBisonFan
09-27-2009, 08:53 PM
I like it! Pound it at Illinois State and get a W. I mean, it seems like Shamen is the one WR who seems to be able to create separation but, unfortunately, he hasn't quite got the whole receiving part down yet.

As far as game plan, I actually thought the offensive game plan was very good. It seemed to be designed to keep our defense off the field - and it worked as NDSU had an almost 2:1 advantage in possession. The defense still has a long way to go and keeping them off the field seems like the best chance of winning right now. Not sure what was wrong with Prevlitz - dinged up or something maybe - because he and the punt team had been absolutely stellar up until last night. The coverage is terrible - I mean I love the way Horner plays but, man, he was a loose cannon out there last night.

I wondered where the tight ends were last night. They've been big in our passing game.

Gully
09-27-2009, 08:53 PM

You make some good points, although the whole TOP thing is more valuable if you can punch in 1-2 more of those drives. If we could have punched it in a couple of more times we'd have been in good shape.

56BISON73
09-27-2009, 09:29 PM
PL,
Did you see Vandal in uniform last night? The SIU announcers said that he was back for last night's game but I didn't see him get into the game.
Also, aside from PP's leg cramps, did you obseve any other injury problems that might impact next week's game?

I wasnt looking for Vandal so I cant help there. PP should be ok I would assume. Some thgought that he had pulled a hamy but after they streched him out they had him hydrating big time so I think it was cramps. Velman looked a little slower this week and had a slight limp I thought. I cant think of anything else that caught my eye.

IzzyFlexion
09-27-2009, 09:55 PM
I wasnt looking for Vandal so I cant help there. PP should be ok I would assume. Some thgought that he had pulled a hamy but after they streched him out they had him hydrating big time so I think it was cramps. Velman looked a little slower this week and had a slight limp I thought. I cant think of anything else that caught my eye.

Good news. Thanks.
Should be at or at least near full strength then for Illinois State. Obviously a must win game. Gotta set the stage for a full and venomous FFD crowd for the UNI game.

BlueBisonRock
09-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Good news. Thanks.
Should be at or at least near full strength then for Illinois State. Obviously a must win game. Gotta set the stage for a full and venomous FFD crowd for the UNI game.

You coming up to Fargo?

IzzyFlexion
09-29-2009, 05:56 AM
You coming up to Fargo?

What are you doing up so late?!?!
I'm sorry to say that I'm not going to make it up there for the Bison Homecoming weekend.
At the rate that I'm gaining weight, even if I'm only there in spirit, I'll still take up at least 3 seats!:D

*Obligatory fat ghost picture.
http://actionflickchick.com/superaction/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/slimer-300x200.jpg

Sounds like you'll be there?
If, so...I hope that you have a blast!

runtheoption
09-29-2009, 11:11 AM

I don't remember at what point during the radio broadcast of the game this was said, but someone said the PP cramping issue is something that he has dealth with his whole life, as he is a big time "sweater" and loses a lot of fluids no matter how physically fit he is. Once you start cramping during a game, it is so hard to get the fluids back in ya to stop the cramping.

It would be nice to see Big V get a few more touches at RB to maybe help alleviate PP's cramping issue.

CaBisonFan
09-29-2009, 02:50 PM
As far as game plan, I actually thought the offensive game plan was very good. It seemed to be designed to keep our defense off the field - and it worked as NDSU had an almost 2:1 advantage in possession.

It worked well in the first half...and part way into the 3rd quarter. But SIU made adjustments that slowed us down. Once we fell behind...it was 'cookies' time. The game was effectively over by the end of the 3rd quarter...or thereabouts. There was no 'quick-pass' offense that would take them out of their defensive strategy. Their ears were pinned back. We didn't make adjustments...or couldn't. But you know, it's good to see that the coaches stand behind their players...no matter what...:cool: