PDA

View Full Version : No Fire

CaBisonFan
09-27-2009, 01:48 AM
Something is severely missing. We were not physically outclassed at all. In the first half we looked a little better, with good offensive line surge, etc.

We are predictable. This should have been a game at the end.

My take? Coaching...big-time problem.

NDSU1980
09-27-2009, 01:50 AM
Yep, and the spark plug is supposed to be the QB, and Mertens doesn't have it. Never has, never will. Mertens has to go, that is all that is to it.

Kevin
09-27-2009, 01:50 AM
All I know is the UNI game is going to be ugly. The best we can hope for is the Marker.

CaBisonFan
09-27-2009, 01:51 AM
Yep, and the spark plug is supposed to be the QB, and Mertens doesn't have it. Never has, never will. Mertens has to go, that is all that is to it.

He didn't lose the game for us...but we need someone to win it. I agree. It's time to pull the plug...but I have doubts that Bohl will do it.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-27-2009, 01:59 AM
He didn't lose the game for us...but we need someone to win it. I agree. It's time to pull the plug...but I have doubts that Bohl will do it.

What are you talking about? Most certainly he lost the game for us. He couldn't complete a pass when we really needed it.

That is the very definition of losing the game for us.

bisonmike2
09-27-2009, 02:01 AM

we need a spark plug, yet we're stuck with a butt plug.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Buttplug.png

aces1180
09-27-2009, 02:04 AM

POTD IMO!!!

Bison bison
09-27-2009, 02:06 AM

so did you have that photo available or did you have to use google to find it?

either way, it's pretty gay.

No_Skill
All I know is the UNI game is going to be ugly. The best we can hope for is the Marker.

...yeah, no...the best we can hope for is 5 wins.

NDSU1980
What are you talking about? Most certainly he lost the game for us. He couldn't complete a pass when we really needed it.

You know Darrin, that is exactly right. Mertens did nothing for us tonight. We can't limp through this season with a poor to mediocre QB.

Someone started a thread a while back called "Where are all you Mertens haters now?" Maybe someone should ask where all the Mertens lovers are. I doubt there are any.

(Inside joke to Darrin-You should have brought some sausage down to the PO today, we had that smokehouse smell since yesterday morning, if you know what I mean.)

bisonmike2
so did you have that photo available or did you have to use google to find it?

either way, it's pretty gay.

GIS. If you want I can link a pic of some women using it.

Bison bison
09-27-2009, 02:08 AM
no thanks, i'm not into things going into people's sphincters.

spelunker64
09-27-2009, 02:09 AM

I thought it was a San Francisco traffic cone

bisonmike2

You should be. NDSU Football is getting bent over lately.

IzzyFlexion

I'm pretty sure that's the Blue Man Group's lava lamp.

Bison bison
09-27-2009, 02:10 AM
You should be. NDSU Football is getting bent over lately.

you must be lovin' every minute of it.

bisonmike2
09-27-2009, 02:11 AM
you must be lovin' every minute of it.

Not sure what your getting at. Are you not disappointed with what this team is doing. Sounds like your taking the internet too seriously. Maybe you should take a timeout.

BisonNolesFan77
Something is severely missing. We were not physically outclassed at all. In the first half we looked a little better, with good offensive line surge, etc.

I won't say coaching...yet...but I will say there was more than enough fire there to get a W tonight. The thing we didn't have, was a QB. It became pretty clear that the coaching staff does not trust Mertens throwing the ball, 2 minute offense and you are running the ball? That says it all right there...

We need a QB...with the slightest pressence of a passing game this could have been a W. Theres no way around it, this is a game that the Bison should have won, at least I feel that way.

CaBisonFan

You have a point. Guess it depends how you look at it. He's not the answer at QB...either way. It ain't working. Bohl can rationalize all he wants, but if he doesn't pull the plug, then he doesn't understand the game.

CaBisonFan
09-27-2009, 02:14 AM
I won't say coaching...yet...but I will say there was more than enough fire there to get a W tonight. The thing we didn't have, was a QB. It became pretty clear that the coaching staff does not trust Mertens throwing the ball, 2 minute offense and you are running the ball? That says it all right there...

We need a QB...with the slightest pressence of a passing game this could have been a W. Theres no way around it, this is a game that the Bison should have won, at least I feel that way.

Coaches have to make decisions that allow a team to win. That includes putting your best players on the field.

I agree 100 percent that it was totally winnable. The passing game is absolutely horrible. The list of problems is long. Start with a QB that has field presence, quickness, a quick release, and throws the ball where it needs to be. That would be Jose Mohler. We saw it last week. We should have seen it by mid-3rd quarter tonight...at least.

BisonNolesFan77
09-27-2009, 02:19 AM
Coaches have to make decisions that allow a team to win. That includes putting your best players on the field.

I agree 100 percent that it was totally winnable. The passing game is absolutely horrible. The list of problems is long. Start with a QB that has field presence, quickness, a quick release, and throws the ball where it needs to be. That would be Jose Mohler. We saw it last week. We should have seen it by mid-3rd quarter tonight...at least.

You are right about the coaches making the decisions that put this team in a position to win. I didn't think of that point, but you are 100% correct. I won't argue with you there at all, putting Mertens on the field is not putting this team in the best position to get W's.

Bison bison
09-27-2009, 02:20 AM
I won't argue with you there at all, putting Mertens on the field is not putting this team in the best position to get W's.

How do you know that?

I've seen Mohler on three plays against Wagner. That's it.

WTF have you seen?

4mcruenomore
09-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Well, we suck. When teams suck, they pull out all the stops, they do the nasty, they start back up QB's. That's why.

Bison bison
09-27-2009, 02:24 AM
Well, we suck. When teams suck, they pull out all the stops, they do the nasty, they start back up QB's. That's why.

Sounds good.

I've got four years of eligibility.

I can also score at will on Super Tecmo Bowl...

CaBisonFan
09-27-2009, 02:25 AM

This is college football...not Pop Warner. You do things to mix the formula. It ain't working. Agreed !!!!!!

BisonNolesFan77
09-27-2009, 02:27 AM
How do you know that?

WTF have you seen?

9-23, 105 yards, and a INT...WTF do you see in that says he deserves to be the starting QB for this team? WTF have you seen over the past 15 games that says he deserves to be the starter for this team?

Bison bison
09-27-2009, 02:30 AM
Nothin. Save the fact that we have a staff that we pay big bucks to make decisions and have more information than everyone on Bisonville squared.

RunDMc34
09-27-2009, 02:31 AM

Well the coach recruited the qb and refuses to pull him, that in itself is the definition of a coaching problem.

There is no reason not to see what Mohler has now, especially vs a poor ISU red team get him some confidence before feeding him to the lions(or panthers) vs UNI

Bisonguy
09-27-2009, 02:32 AM
Nothin. Save the fact that we have a staff that we pay big bucks to make decisions and have more information than everyone on Bisonville squared.

Bingo. However, if there is a better option that isn't being used for whatever reason......

runtheoption
Someone started a thread a while back called "Where are all you Mertens haters now?" Maybe someone should ask where all the Mertens lovers are. I doubt there are any.

I would like to reference the last post in that old thread. http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17535&page=8

Especially where I said "He'll look like a world beater against Wagner, and then we will be having this same freaking discussion the following week after he plays poorly against Southern Illinois."

You don't see any irony in this statement? "It's the same shit over and over"???

Take a look at the QB decision making, playmaking and throws over the last 2 years. Horribly inconsistent, too many poorly thrown balls, turnovers, staring down receivers, etc. Yes, we scored a lot of points in the second half against a swiss cheese SHSU defense. That's one good half of football in 2 games this year -- I would say his other halves of football this year are very, very average. Combine this with his terrible games last year, and it doesn't look good.

You can keep making excuses (poor play calling, poor WR, poor O-Line play, fluke balls bouncing off O-line helmets). I'll keep expecting better play from our QB. I have absolutely no faith in his play; he's had WAY too many chances to prove himself. He'll look like a world beater against Wagner, and then we will be having this same freaking discussion the following week after he plays poorly against Southern Illinois.

As discussed in previous threads and eloquently written by Hallstrom (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=59440), something is missing. Some called it the "IT" factor. Time for Mohler, Perez or Jensen to get some serious PT. Because frankly, it's been "the same shit over and over" for far too long.

Bison bison
Bingo. However, if there is a better option that isn't being used for whatever reason......

...it must be a conspiracy?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN

Exactly won every part of this game tonight except the score.

HerdBot
09-27-2009, 02:33 AM

Physically we're on par with them but we severely lack a passing game. We're predictible because we can't complete a forward pass and everyone knows it. Not sure if it's the QB's fault, receivers, or both but we flat out can't pass. We also drop too many passes at key times. The 3rd down drops were back breakers.

BisonNolesFan77
09-27-2009, 02:33 AM
Well the coach recruited the qb and refuses to pull him, that in itself is the definition of a coaching problem.

There is no reason not to see what Mohler has now, especially vs a poor ISU red team get him some confidence before feeding him to the lions(or panthers) vs UNI

I won't argue with you there at all...

bisonmike2
09-27-2009, 02:36 AM

I'm not a big "Bohl should go" guy, but if he doesn't at least give Moehler a chance at some point this year, then yes, I think he needs to go. I don't know how you can say, after 14 games and around 50% completion percentage, that Mertens will win you games. He's just not going to. And if he's too obtuse to even try Moehler, then maybe it's time he does move on. As a Husker fan, I can't forget that Bohl has a tendency to be hard headed on stick with one thing even when it's obvious to everyone else that he should change things up. Back in 2002, the Huskers (Bohl was the D-coordinator) got destroyed by Colorado in the last game of the year. They stuck with man to man defense and Colorado embarrassed them. Then going into the Rose Bowl versus Miami, he said before the game that he thought Nebraska could play man to man against them. He was sorely mistaken and Miami jumped out to a huge lead because of blown coverage. Only after Miami was up several TD's did the defense make a change and the next year Bohl was forced out. Just saying.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-27-2009, 02:37 AM
How do you know that?

WTF have you seen?

Who the hell are you? Merten's mom? Give me a break. He sucks. Anyone with half a brain can see that.

What is your problem? Are you in love with him? Are you his boyfriend? Are you his mom, dad, cousin, brother.

These would be the only explainations for defending him.

Bison bison
09-27-2009, 02:40 AM
No.

I'm a fan who's giving the program the benefit of the doubt.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-27-2009, 02:42 AM
No.

I'm a fan who's giving the program the benefit of the doubt.

You say "program" but you are defending Merten's to the death. "The program" is better off with someone else at QB.

Bison bison
09-27-2009, 02:43 AM
It's the coach's who make the call.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-27-2009, 02:54 AM
It's the coach's who make the call.

Yes, and the coaches have the wrong QB on the field.

Da_Bison
09-27-2009, 03:08 AM
Who the hell are you? Merten's mom? Give me a break. He sucks. Anyone with half a brain can see that.

What is your problem? Are you in love with him? Are you his boyfriend? Are you his mom, dad, cousin, brother.

These would be the only explainations for defending him.

Why would you attack Mertens is the real question??? Did he name himself starter??? HELLO... Bohl is the guy that decided Mertens is our QB so lay off the kid. And money has it Mertens will start again next week and I suppose you'll blame mertens for that, huh?? I agree its time to see what Mohler can do, but don't blame Mertens for being named the starter and playing the whole game!!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-27-2009, 03:10 AM
Why would you attack Mertens is the real question??? Did he name himself starter??? HELLO... Bohl is the guy that decided Mertens is our QB so lay off the kid. And money has it Mertens will start again next week and I suppose you'll blame mertens for that, huh?? I agree its time to see what Mohler can do, but don't blame Mertens for being named the starter and playing the whole game!!

No, I won't blame for starting. I'll just blame him for playing like crap, which he will.

Bisonguy
09-27-2009, 03:40 AM

It was Mertens fault that he didn't pull himself out of the game and have Jose sub in.

stevdock
09-27-2009, 04:01 AM
Not defending anyone with this question as I only listened to the game. Was not able to watch it. Without seeing the game, it's hard for me to personally judge what happened during the game. All I know is Phil Hanson said Shamen needed to come down with that 3rd down play and it COULD have been a different game if he comes down with it.

Has it dawned on anyone that Mertens still might be the best QB we have on the team right now?? If he is, where is NDSU football headed in the upcoming years??

NDSU1980
09-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Has it dawned on anyone that Mertens still might be the best QB we have on the team right now??

Has it dawned on you yet that Mertens can't win a game except against cupcakes? Mertens isn't going to improve. Play Mohler and see what happens. No way that Mohler is worse then Mertens.

bisonmike2
09-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Not defending anyone with this question as I only listened to the game. Was not able to watch it. Without seeing the game, it's hard for me to personally judge what happened during the game. All I know is Phil Hanson said Shamen needed to come down with that 3rd down play and it COULD have been a different game if he comes down with it.

Has it dawned on anyone that Mertens still might be the best QB we have on the team right now?? If he is, where is NDSU football headed in the upcoming years??

We are not winning games with him so I don't see how trying a new QB hurts. It's not like Moehler is going to come in and super lose a game. If we lose, oh well, it' not like Mertens standard 11 of 22 for 120 yards 1td and 1int would have made much difference. And if we win, well maybe we just found our QB of the future. The reward far outweighs the risk.

unbison
09-27-2009, 03:42 PM

Wow...... i am going to have to agree with stevieooooo this time hurts but i gotta ..... well said!!!!!!

EndZoneQB
09-27-2009, 03:48 PM
No fire is right. Looking at the highlights, when we make a big play, no one is jmping around excited about the game. Everyone just looks like its business as usual. Who is the EMOTIONAL leader?? Roehl, Mays, Humber would get excited when they made a play, and you know what, other players ended up making more plays! It's football, you feed off of everyone else!!!

BisonNeil
09-27-2009, 04:17 PM
We can all bash the QB all we want but the problem is much deeper, as dicussed in another thread.

The 2009 and 2010 seasons were carved in granite as being throw aways back in 2006 and 2007 when Bohl didn't sign a QB for two years and also had fairly mediocre classes overall. As someone said, Mertens might be the best QB on the squad which is the point I made back then. You need numbers at this position so you have a go to guy, a good HC does not put all of his QB eggs in a single basket like Bohl did.

But, the overall talent level of the upper classmen is simply not there. Yes, there are some good players, but not enough of them. You can't lose 40-50% of your Jr and Sr class and expect to win. The big mistakes we see resulting in 61 yd TD passes is the result of piss poor recruiting. That is going to happen when you put a true Fr on the field, or a JUCO recruit that is very raw.

I made a bold prediction years ago that Bohl would be gone, as in fired, after the 2010 season. I predicted that because of these two poor recruiting seasons which I felt would predictably lead to two poor years of Bison football. No one could have predicted 08 to be bad, so now those two poor seasons will end up being three poor seasons, by NDSU standards.

Here is the reality folks, Bohl is 7-8 with his recruits. If you take away the victories with schools who have fewer than DII scholarship numbers (CCSU, AP & Wagner), he is 4-8. If you give him the benefit of the doubt and subtract the FBS losses because you think he walks on water with what he did with Babich's stars, he is 4-6. There is a very high probability he will end this year at 11-11 with his talent.

Blame Mertens all you want, but it is pretty damn clear to me who is responsible for the current state of Bison football.

I still like what Lou Holtz said last year when asked to comment about Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame. I have posted this before but it bears repeating.

Holtz said when a coach comes into a program and wins with another coaches talent that is a good thing and shows he is a "pretty good coach".

However, you cannot be considered an excellent head football coach until you recruit, develop and win with your own players.

I would argue that NDSU deserves an excellent head football coach. I'm just saying...

bisonmike2
09-27-2009, 04:53 PM
We can all bash the QB all we want but the problem is much deeper, as dicussed in another thread.

The 2009 and 2010 seasons were carved in granite as being throw aways back in 2006 and 2007 when Bohl didn't sign a QB for two years and also had fairly mediocre classes overall. As someone said, Mertens might be the best QB on the squad which is the point I made back then. You need numbers at this position so you have a go to guy, a good HC does not put all of his QB eggs in a single basket like Bohl did.

But, the overall talent level of the upper classmen is simply not there. Yes, there are some good players, but not enough of them. You can't lose 40-50% of your Jr and Sr class and expect to win. The big mistakes we see resulting in 61 yd TD passes is the result of piss poor recruiting. That is going to happen when you put a true Fr on the field, or a JUCO recruit that is very raw.

I made a bold prediction years ago that Bohl would be gone, as in fired, after the 2010 season. I predicted that because of these two poor recruiting seasons which I felt would predictably lead to two poor years of Bison football. No one could have predicted 08 to be bad, so now those two poor seasons will end up being three poor seasons, by NDSU standards.

Here is the reality folks, Bohl is 7-8 with his recruits. If you take away the victories with schools who have fewer than DII scholarship numbers (CCSU, AP & Wagner), he is 4-8. If you give him the benefit of the doubt and subtract the FBS losses because you think he walks on water with what he did with Babich's stars, he is 4-6. There is a very high probability he will end this year at 11-11 with his talent.

Blame Mertens all you want, but it is pretty damn clear to me who is responsible for the current state of Bison football.

I still like what Lou Holtz said last year when asked to comment about Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame. I have posted this before but it bears repeating.

Holtz said when a coach comes into a program and wins with another coaches talent that is a good thing and shows he is a "pretty good coach".

However, you cannot be considered an excellent head football coach until you recruit, develop and win with your own players.

I would argue that NDSU deserves an excellent head football coach. I'm just saying...

you make alot of good points. for the sake of our program, I hope your wrong, although you're probably right.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-27-2009, 05:32 PM

Right on. At least we have got to the point that most, not all, but most people on this board recognize that our coach just might not be the second coming of Christ.

Regardless, he should still replace Merten's. That should give us at least half a chance.

Neil, are you going to start the next "Bohl sucks" thread. :D

BisoninNWMN
09-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Yes, and the coaches have the wrong QB on the field.

Well then why dont you call the coaches and "volunteer" for evaluation of recruits......lol

Maybe Mertens is better than the other 2 guys.

Would a change help.....maybe!!!