PDA

View Full Version : WIU Coach Steps Down

NDSUstudent
09-26-2009, 04:35 AM
Patterson Steps Down, Citing Health Concerns
Courtesy: Valley Football
Release: 09/25/2009
Courtesy: Valley Football
MACOMB, Ill.- In his 11th season with the Western Illinois football program, head coach Don Patterson has announced he will step down from his head coaching role due to personal health concerns, Friday, Sept. 25th.

Patterson, who was diagnosed with tonsillar cancer last July, missed most of the 2008 preseason camp and the first seven games of the year as he underwent treatment for cancer.

"Battling cancer and its subsequent treatments have taken a huge toll on me physically," Patterson said. "Even though my last check-up revealed that I am cancer free, the lingering effects of radiation and chemotherapy have impacted me more than expected."

"Right now the most important thing is for our Leatherneck football team and coaching staff to focus on winning our game against Southern Illinois, and eventually a Missouri Valley Football Conference Championship this season. I didn't want them focusing on me," Patterson continued.

Patterson will continue to serve in an active role with the football program and the athletics department.

"Obviously this has been a very difficult revelation for the program," said Western Illinois director of athletics Dr. Tim Van Alstine. "Yet I am very supportive, as Don's long-term well-being is without a doubt the highest priority for our program, our department and for our community."

Assistant head coach and offensive coordinator Mark Hendrickson will take over as acting head coach, effective immediately. Hendrickson served as acting head coach for the first seven games of the 2008 season while Patterson was undergoing cancer treatments.

One of the Missouri Valley Football Conference's all-time winningest coaches, Patterson guided the Fighting Leathernecks to three playoff berths, a pair of conference titles and a No. 1 national ranking. He amassed an overall record of 63-47 and coached five of the top eight offensive teams in school history. In addition, Patterson coached eight conference players of the year.

HandoEX
09-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Wow, that'll be tough for the program mid-season. Best of luck to coach Patterson and hoping he stays cancer free.

sambini
09-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Your In Our Thoughts And Prayers Coach Patterson.

tony
09-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Do you think it would be a nice gesture if some of us Bison fans could take five minutes to jot a note to Coach Patterson and wish him and his family well and let him know that we are pulling for him?

I know we have some folks on the board who have had their battles with cancer - if any of you think this is a bad idea, please say something (you'll be too late to stop me though because I'm heading to the mailbox as soon as I hit "submit reply".)

Anyway, this is the address I used:

Don Patterson
c/o Western Illinois University Athletics
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455

lakesbison
09-28-2009, 09:29 PM
http://www.wiuathletics.com/CreateTicket.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12000

maybe they can forward them?

this takes about 2 minutes of your time to fill out.

or sid@wiu.edu ??

peace

lakesbison
09-28-2009, 09:35 PM
d-patterson@wiu.edu & sid@wiu.edu

lakesbison
09-30-2009, 07:06 PM
http://www.wgem.com/Global/story.asp?S=11227378

should I ask for my letter back I sent him? OUCH!

rdh701
10-01-2009, 05:35 PM
A little late, but I think it's a great idea.

lakesbison
11-10-2009, 04:55 AM
WOW, what a classy guy. this is my email and his reply is really classy, im shocked he wrote back, very awesome.

----- Original Message -----
To: d-patterson@wiu.edu, sid@wiu.edu
Sent:
Subject: NDSU & Coach Patterson. good luck

Coach Patterson. (or please print and give to coach?)

as NDSU prepares for game week, and us fans/alumni/former players get ready to celebrate.

I want to take a couple minutes and wish you good luck in your battle with cancer, its far far far more important you win that battle then whether NDSU or Western Illinois wins this ballgame on saturday.

My father passed 5 years ago last week, So when I heard about your plight, I wanted to make sure and write you today. Stay Strong, always believe and never ever give up, no matter what the pain.

You can win this battle. Take care and god bless.

Class of 99
NDSU

NDSU & Coach Patterson. good luck‏
Sent: Mon 11/09/09 6:07 PM
To: ME

ME

I apologize for not writing sooner, but I've been overwhelmed by the reaction to recent events. Thanks for taking the time to write...and thanks, also, for your words of encouragement. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your father...and I suspect that you have any number of GREAT memories of your father that have hopefully helped you to deal with your loss. Hang onto those memories...because over a long period of time, they will mean a great deal to you.

I'm scheduled for another PET scan (full-body scan) on December 15th...and if they see no recurrence of cancer, then perhaps I'll get to coach again. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

Thanks for caring, *****, It means a lot to me!

All the best!

Coach P.

dryash83
11-10-2009, 07:31 PM
i'm impressed, lakes. Are there two of you out there? I'd like to think this letter you wrote is the "real" Lakes:)

lakesbison
11-17-2009, 02:14 AM
yea, Im sorry. its a great story for him to email me back. classy