PDA

View Full Version : Sdsu

SDbison
09-21-2009, 05:32 PM
From Terry V's blog in today's Argus Leader (following the jacks 41-0 beatdown of Indiana State):
The Jacks rank No. 1 in the Football Championship Subdivision in rush defense (18.0 ypg) and scoring defense (3.0 ppg). Last year's defensive averages: 132.4 ypg and 29.0 ppg.
SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier seemed genuinely bothered by his decision to rush third-string senior Jordan Paula for his first career touchdown in the closing minute instead of taking a knee. "I put that tailback ahead of our football and our football team's image, and that was wrong on my part," he said. "I think we should have taken a knee at the end of the game. I would feel better about the game." Likely adding to the regret: The Jacks threw for a short touchdown with less than 3 minutes left last year in a 49-9 win at Indiana State.
A couple comments:
1. If the jacks are really that good against the rush NDSU better find a QB that can pass more efficiently. Of course SDSU has only played 2 games, both at home. One game was against an over-rated Georgia Southern team and the most recent against one of the worst teams in FCS.
2. Wow, sounds like Stig is balls to the wall when he has a big lead. Of course some of that might be frustration for usually being on the other side of a big loss for so many years. Interesting, the Jacks can get their third string RB in a game, but Bohl can't figure out how to get the backup QB some decent reps for the Bison.

HerdBot
09-21-2009, 05:44 PM
From Terry V's blog in today's Argus Leader (following the jacks 41-0 beatdown of Indiana State):
The Jacks rank No. 1 in the Football Championship Subdivision in rush defense (18.0 ypg) and scoring defense (3.0 ppg). Last year's defensive averages: 132.4 ypg and 29.0 ppg.
SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier seemed genuinely bothered by his decision to rush third-string senior Jordan Paula for his first career touchdown in the closing minute instead of taking a knee. "I put that tailback ahead of our football and our football team's image, and that was wrong on my part," he said. "I think we should have taken a knee at the end of the game. I would feel better about the game." Likely adding to the regret: The Jacks threw for a short touchdown with less than 3 minutes left last year in a 49-9 win at Indiana State.
A couple comments:
1. If the jacks are really that good against the rush NDSU better find a QB that can pass more efficiently. Of course SDSU has only played 2 games, both at home. One game was against an over-rated Georgia Southern team and the most recent against one of the worst teams in FCS.
2. Wow, sounds like Stig is balls to the wall when he has a big lead. Of course some of that might be frustration for usually being on the other side of a big loss for so many years. Interesting, the Jacks can get their third string RB in a game, but Bohl can't figure out how to get the backup QB some decent reps for the Bison.

The Jacks haven't gotten much respect in the polls up until recently so I don't blame the guy for running up the score. You have to "market yourself" when your not getting respect.

bisonmike2
09-21-2009, 05:47 PM
I hoped their ranked #1 when we play them. I would love for our guys to get some payback.

OldBison
09-21-2009, 05:47 PM
A couple comments:

Mertens is playing fine, get off his ass, you're starting to piss me off :ranting:
He is confident in the pocket and Vigen is doing a very good job opening up the playbook. The offense is fine, get over the fact that Nick is making us all believers.

If you have to rag on someone or something, rag on the D and the DC, at least they deserve abuse. Nick doesn't.

GOB1SON
09-21-2009, 05:50 PM
I too am curious if SDSU is as good as the first couple of games seems to indicate.

They beat Indiana St, which is perhaps as bad a team as there is in FCS.

And they trounced Ga Southern, who beat Albany by 3, got killed by SDSU, and then beat Western Carolina, who is just a step above Indiana St.

So they are either pretty good; or they have played really bad teams at home and we don't know.

It is probably somewhere in the middle.

HerdBot
09-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Mertens is playing fine, get off his ass, you're starting to piss me off :ranting:
He is confident in the pocket and Vigen is doing a very good job opening up the playbook. The offense is fine, get over the fact that Nick is making us all believers.

If you have to rag on someone or something, rag on the D and the DC, at least they deserve abuse. Nick doesn't.

I agree our DC deserves more heat than Mertens, who has played very well. I look at Mertens as part of the solution, not the problem.

bisonmike2
09-21-2009, 05:52 PM

Mertens only looks fine because the defense is that bad. This weekend he will be playing against the best defense we've seen so far. We'll see if he's learned to not lock onto a receiver.

SDbison
09-21-2009, 05:54 PM
I too am curious if SDSU is as good as the first couple of games seems to indicate.

They beat Indiana St, which is perhaps as bad a team as there is in FCS.

And they trounced Ga Southern, who beat Albany by 3, got killed by SDSU, and then beat Western Carolina, who is just a step above Indiana St.

So they are either pretty good; or they have played really bad teams at home and we don't know.

It is probably somewhere in the middle.
The most important thing is SDSU is winning a lot and building confidence. At this time NDSU is shaky at best.

OldBison
09-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Hey douche bag I didn't mention Nicks name once in my post, you did.........my issue is with getting backups game experiece before they have to step in full time. That is Bohl's issue.

Blow it out your ear. You said "If the jacks are really that good against the rush NDSU better find a QB that can pass more efficiently"

If you weren't taking a shot at Nick, who were you taking a shot at?

You're the only db around here buddy. He's playing fine. Get over it. It's like you don't want him to be successful, which would be consistent with your general attitude towards this Mertens led team. Do yourself a favor and drop the 'tude.

SDbison
09-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Blow it out your ear. You said "If the jacks are really that good against the rush NDSU better find a QB that can pass more efficiently"

If you weren't taking a shot at Nick, who were you taking a shot at.

You're the only db around here buddy. He's playing fine. Get over it. It's like you don't want him to be successful, which would be consistent with your general attitude towards this Mertens led team. Do yourself a favor and drop the 'tude.
Sorry buddy its not just me........there are dozens on this board who doubt Mertens abilities. Just over 50% passing at home against a poor FCS team doesn't cut it.
And yes, there are issues with the Defense and Special teams.
Bright spots
Offensive Line
Pat Paschall
Preston Evans

Questionable
Mertens
Bibeau (got to make points when its critical)
Special Teams
Wide Receivers

Weak Link
D-Line
Secondary
Linebackers (except Evans)

EndZoneQB
09-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Ok, so before this turns into another Mertens thread, just watch his mechanics at the next game you see. Really look at his throwing motion when hes standing in the pocket no pressure, under pressure, rolling out, etc. Go back and look at the spring highlights of him passing. Sometimes he has a great over the top release(like you are supposed to, for those that don't know), other times the motion completely breaks down and it's a side arm toss(see helmet interceptions in spring game). I know I told someone else to watch his mechanics and they agreed that it was NOT consistent. If his mechanics are bad and it works, it's only FCS, why change it. The problem is that they are not consistent, and it only works some of the time.

Now before I get bashed about this, I would love nothing more than him to show everyone up and dominate. Don't take this as "hate" for Mertens, but as constructive criticism of the coaching staff. Just watch his mechanics for yourself. Like I said, if he IS making the plays, who cares about mechanics at this level, he likely won't be a "lifetime" QB. I just think this has been overlooked by many...

lakesbison
09-21-2009, 06:31 PM
bunnies suck and anti-mertens people are starting to eat crow.

should be a good october!

IzzyFlexion
09-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Ok, so before this turns into another Mertens thread, just watch his mechanics at the next game you see. Really look at his throwing motion when hes standing in the pocket no pressure, under pressure, rolling out, etc. Go back and look at the spring highlights of him passing. Sometimes he has a great over the top release(like you are supposed to, for those that don't know), other times the motion completely breaks down and it's a side arm toss(see helmet interceptions in spring game). I know I told someone else to watch his mechanics and they agreed that it was NOT consistent. If his mechanics are bad and it works, it's only FCS, why change it. The problem is that they are not consistent, and it only works some of the time.

Now before I get bashed about this, I would love nothing more than him to show everyone up and dominate. Don't take this as "hate" for Mertens, but as constructive criticism of the coaching staff. Just watch his mechanics for yourself. Like I said, if he IS making the plays, who cares about mechanics at this level, he likely won't be a "lifetime" QB. I just think this has been overlooked by many...

Watching the Wagner game on the web, there was a great camera/camera angle being used that showed an excellent example of the 3/4 arm angle delivery during a particular pass play. The pass was easily knocked down by an interior lineman. Certainly, there are times when a QB can get away with this (Bernie Kosar made a nice living in the NFL), but as EZQB points out, mechanically, I'm hopeful that he can "coached" away from doing this as much as possible.

JacksFan06
09-21-2009, 08:10 PM
As far as SDSU goes, it's hard to read too much into the team because of who we've played but we've did what we were supposed to do and came away without any serious injuries.

Going into the season we thought the defense would be the strength of the team and so far they've been lights out. What's been nice too is that a lot of the second teamers have been seeing time and there doesn't seem to be much of a drop off.

Georgia Southern isn't a top 25 team this year but are still probably between the 25-35 range. Indiana St actually has a good defense but they really struggle on offense.

Looking forward to a good game in October. I don't doubt that it will be another barn burner that could go either way.

CaBisonFan
09-21-2009, 08:17 PM
The most important thing is SDSU is winning a lot and building confidence. At this time NDSU is shaky at best.

That's the most important thing?

SDbison
09-21-2009, 08:22 PM
That's the most important thing?
Yeah that confidence factor........something NDSU doesn't have now. The offense seems to have a bit of it, and the defense very little of it. Some positions are plain getting beat (not sure if it is a talent or experience issue, or maybe some of both).

EndZoneQB
09-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Watching the Wagner game on the web, there was a great camera/camera angle being used that showed an excellent example of the 3/4 arm angle delivery during a particular pass play. The pass was easily knocked down by an interior lineman. Certainly, there are times when a QB can get away with this (Bernie Kosar made a nice living in the NFL), but as EZQB points out, mechanically, I'm hopeful that he can "coached" away from doing this as much as possible.

Exactly! I've been saying this for awhile. When it works(like your Kosar example), it works. When it doesn't, it needs to be addressed, especially with the inconsistencies in accuracy...

NDSUFan_Sav
09-22-2009, 01:50 AM
Yeah that confidence factor........something NDSU doesn't have now. The offense seems to have a bit of it, and the defense very little of it. Some positions are plain getting beat (not sure if it is a talent or experience issue, or maybe some of both).

that confidence???? look at the gophers who use to schedule easy then get to big 10 play or when they made a bowl game look at what that "confidence" did for them.....how about our easy games last year, our year ended pretty "well" I think not.....How about Montana scheduling easy, that turned out well for them...aka losing national championship game.....

our defense was being moved around all game we had injuries at LBs we're trying to figure out who belongs where, we had injuries with Jackson and Gatlin, Johnson was out 1st 2 games, you take away Jared Allen from the vikings DLine and that will affect their pass rush etc.....shit happens and we're trying to deal with it we struggled early in the game then turned it around after they scored their 2nd TD.

JacksFan06
09-22-2009, 02:35 AM
Are you really comparing Garrett Johnson to Jared Allen?

lakesbison
09-22-2009, 02:41 AM
are you really comparing SDSU to a WINNING program?

ScooterMN
09-22-2009, 02:56 AM

Only a JacksFan would miss the point. What a goof.

NDSUFan_Sav
09-22-2009, 03:04 AM

not at all......lmfao if you honestly thought i was there's something wrong....what i'm saying is we had a missing piece now you take something like that missing piece away from any D-Line and there could be less pressure and what not because of that player not playing.