PDA

View Full Version : Injured and/or Returning Bison

HandoEX
09-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Who was out against Wagner that may be returning for SIU?

Veldman?
Williams?
Gatlin?
Kittleson?
Eaves?
Vandal?

Anyone else I'm forgetting? I think a few of these guys will be out for a few games, but if anyone has an update on these guys or other injured Bison to share, that would be great!

Kermit
09-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Who was out against Wagner that may be returning for SIU?

Veldman?
Williams?
Gatlin?
Kittleson?
Eaves?
Vandal?

Anyone else I'm forgetting? I think a few of these guys will be out for a few games, but if anyone has an update on these guys or other injured Bison to share, that would be great!

I believe Kevin Jackson has been out for the past couple of weeks as well (illness?). Eaves, Gatlin, and Jackson would make the depth/athleticism of the secondary look considerably better.

I expect that both Williams (MCL?) and Vandal (leg fracture?) will need a few more weeks due to the nature of their injuries.

Mr. Burgundy
09-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Kevin Jackson has something wrong, like a blood disorder or something. Didn't sound too serious when I heard about it. I hope we can get him on the field, we need that speed.

Vandal is the biggest loss we have right now. He is a bigtime pro prospect according to the coaches when they were watching them grade out our big fullback from last year (sorry, forgetting his name right now). When he comes back, he gives us that fullback out of the backfield, the lead blocker and a great pass protector. Then you have Veldman who can stretch the field up the middle, something we lack currently. Gary was a starting WR. Alot of weapons not on the field for Nick, and more importantly Vigen.

Will Breske in a week be ready for some serious speed down in Illinois? Will the linebackers be more prepared with another week after the position change? Will the D Line put some pressure on their QB? Can we continue to run the ball as well as we have? As long as we can run the ball, we will be in games.

HandoEX
09-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Does this sound correct from what you guys have heard for SIU?

Possibly/Probably Returning
Gatlin
Veldman
Kittleson
Eaves
Jackson

Out
Williams
Vandal

4 defensive players returning could make a difference, especially in the secondary and lb corps. Here's to Veldman coming back 110%:cheers:

BisManBison
09-21-2009, 01:07 AM
Kevin Jackson has something wrong, like a blood disorder or something. Didn't sound too serious when I heard about it. I hope we can get him on the field, we need that speed.

Vandal is the biggest loss we have right now. He is a bigtime pro prospect according to the coaches when they were watching them grade out our big fullback from last year (sorry, forgetting his name right now). When he comes back, he gives us that fullback out of the backfield, the lead blocker and a great pass protector. Then you have Veldman who can stretch the field up the middle, something we lack currently. Gary was a starting WR. Alot of weapons not on the field for Nick, and more importantly Vigen.

Will Breske in a week be ready for some serious speed down in Illinois? Will the linebackers be more prepared with another week after the position change? Will the D Line put some pressure on their QB? Can we continue to run the ball as well as we have? As long as we can run the ball, we will be in games.

Tyler Jangula

LifeLongBison
09-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Also DE Garret Johnson.

Don't we get him back for SIU?

If he can put some heat on the QB, our dbacks all of a sudden might look good.

I have some concern against the run, however.
If Wagner was able to run the ball on us, I'm sure Lennon will try to pound the ball at us as well. I'd imagine they have a better o-line than Wagner and just as good a running back.

BIGTIME
09-21-2009, 02:26 PM
SIU will have the best running back on the field next Saturday, I know Paschall is good, but this guy is great. Deji Karim will be a name that is called over and over by Lennon or his offensive coordinator, next weekend.

roadwarrior
09-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Also DE Garret Johnson.

Don't we get him back for SIU?

He played against Wagner.

IzzyFlexion
09-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Daniel Eaves did play against Wagner but I don't know how much. I remember him making a solo tackle and confirmed it looking at the game stats.

IzzyFlexion
09-21-2009, 03:16 PM

He is just beyond the 4 week mark since his fracture diagnosis. I wish that I knew more about the nature of the injury because there are so many different "out time" scenarios for several different types of lower extremity fractures. He did appear to be walking normally in street clothes on the sideline the other night.

RuralBison
09-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Heard from a good source he has started running on it last Thursday. He isnt close to 100%yet but is hoping to be close by Friday with Drew Hushka's injury.

NDSUFan_Sav
09-22-2009, 03:12 AM
Heard from a good source he has started running on it last Thursday. He isnt close to 100%yet but is hoping to be close by Friday with Drew Hushka's injury.

what actually happened to Drew...heard his shoulder was hurting?

bisontwice
09-22-2009, 03:20 PM
what actually happened to Drew...heard his shoulder was hurting?

Dislocated shoulder, typically a 2-4 weeks.

IronRanger
09-22-2009, 04:35 PM
I saw Yuen Taufete'e today and he had his left arm in a loose sling today. Anyone know what happened?

TheBisonator
09-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Oh God, have we gotten hit by the injury pandemic again?? This really sucks. Can't we have a season in which we have no more than 3 guys out in any given game?? Sorry, I'm starting to sound like SDbison now. I'll quit.:)

TheBisonator
09-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Just for the record, Eaves is already back, Veldman and Kittleson should both be in for Saturday, and I think Jackson and Gatlin are also probable as well. Vandal is now 4 weeks removed from his fracture and Williams is about 3 weeks removed from his MCL sprain (or was it a tear?), so they'll both be back in maybe 2 weeks??

Veldman, Gatlin, Kittelson, Eaves and Jackson you don't have to worry about anymore. Looks like only Williams and Vandal are still injured. Don't know about Taufete'e.

CarringtonBison
09-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Just for the record, Eaves is already back, Veldman and Kittleson should both be in for Saturday, and I think Jackson and Gatlin are also probable as well. Vandal is now 4 weeks removed from his fracture and Williams is about 3 weeks removed from his MCL sprain (or was it a tear?), so they'll both be back in maybe 2 weeks??

Veldman, Gatlin, Kittelson, Eaves and Jackson you don't have to worry about anymore. Looks like only Williams and Vandal are still injured. Don't know about Taufete'e.

Sprain=tear, just depends on how severe. A mild (Grade 1) is very small tear and will heal in 2-3 weeks. Grade 2 and 3 are more severe (grade 3 is a complete tear, IIRC) and require more time out.

bisontwice
09-22-2009, 06:34 PM

Missed Hushka on the list, I believe listed as doubtful yesterday.

IzzyFlexion
09-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Sprain=tear, just depends on how severe. A mild (Grade 1) is very small tear and will heal in 2-3 weeks. Grade 2 and 3 are more severe (grade 3 is a complete tear, IIRC) and require more time out.

Grade 3 MCL would be out for the year and rarely happens without some ACL damage.

X-Factor
09-22-2009, 08:58 PM
SIU will have the best running back on the field next Saturday, I know Paschall is good, but this guy is great. Deji Karim will be a name that is called over and over by Lennon or his offensive coordinator, next weekend.

That is so far off base I don't even know where to start

bisonmike2
09-22-2009, 09:04 PM

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/sep2009/7/0/kanye-west-and-taylor-swift-pic-getty-image-1-364547169.jpg
Hey Bigtime, I know Deji Karim is a good running back and I'm gonna let you finish, but Pat Paschall is one of the best running backs of ALL-TIME!!!

A1pigskin
09-23-2009, 01:38 AM
I don't want to see a repeat of last year when Roehl was hurt. That is playing when your hurt and doing more damage to the injury.

BisonNolesFan77
09-23-2009, 02:00 AM
Grade 3 MCL would be out for the year and rarely happens without some ACL damage.

There is a grade 4 as well, 3 and 4 is when surgery starts coming into play...tore my MCL my senior year of high school in a perseason scrimmage, played through the season, and had arthroscopic surgery after the season. Running on a hard surface (Basketball Court, FargoDome field) was impossible, but on a softer natural grass field playing football it wasent so bad. I think I lucked out not having any ACL damage...

A1pigskin
09-23-2009, 02:06 AM
It seems like we see ACL injuries a lot. Is it due to the cement floor we play on???

CarringtonBison
09-23-2009, 03:20 AM
There is a grade 4 as well, 3 and 4 is when surgery starts coming into play...tore my MCL my senior year of high school in a perseason scrimmage, played through the season, and had arthroscopic surgery after the season. Running on a hard surface (Basketball Court, FargoDome field) was impossible, but on a softer natural grass field playing football it wasent so bad. I think I lucked out not having any ACL damage...

Most of the current literature suggests that you don't even need to do surgery on the MCL. However, when a high grade MCL sprain occurs, an ACL tear is present and may need surgery (as stated above). That said not all ACL tears need to be repaired, either. it all depends on the activity level of the individual. Athletes generally get them repaired.

Bison"FANatic"
09-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Most of the current literature suggests that you don't even need to do surgery on the MCL. However, when a high grade MCL sprain occurs, an ACL tear is present and may need surgery (as stated above). That said not all ACL tears need to be repaired, either. it all depends on the activity level of the individual. Athletes generally get them repaired.

Wouldnt you agree Carrington that with the ACL and MCL tears or high grade sprain you usually see see medial meniscus damage and this leads to a lot of the pain upon running due to the compression forces. Thus Bisonnoles observation of more pain upon running on hard surfaces compared to running on more forgiving surfaces????????

CarringtonBison
09-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Wouldnt you agree Carrington that with the ACL and MCL tears or high grade sprain you usually see see medial meniscus damage and this leads to a lot of the pain upon running due to the compression forces. Thus Bisonnoles observation of more pain upon running on hard surfaces compared to running on more forgiving surfaces????????

Yes, that is the "terrible triad"-MCL tear, ACL tear, and meniscus tear (almost always medial). If you have a meniscus tear, there is a lot of pain with running d/t the forces, mainly a shearing force-that is where arthroscopic surgery comes into place. To either repair or remove the meniscus. Softer surfaces make a bit of difference, but usually the forces of the body weight through the knee (more force goes through the medical compartment of the knee) is the bigger determining factor.

runtheoption
09-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Yes, that is the "terrible triad"-MCL tear, ACL tear, and meniscus tear (almost always medial). If you have a meniscus tear, there is a lot of pain with running d/t the forces, mainly a shearing force-that is where arthroscopic surgery comes into place. To either repair or remove the meniscus. Softer surfaces make a bit of difference, but usually the forces of the body weight through the knee (more force goes through the medical compartment of the knee) is the bigger determining factor.

Guy on my rugby club did the "quad" on a seemingly innocent cut back move, with no contact involved - MCL, ACL, LCL and meniscus. Took him almost 2 years to get back to normal.

BisonNolesFan77
09-23-2009, 11:32 PM

Yes...my miniscus was beyond repair, thus leaving me without one in my right knee...Carrington, typical Bisonville thread drift here, but you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about knee injuries, I have always figured that my right knee will probably give me trouble as I get older due to having the miniscus removed, is that a safe assumption or am I way off base?

A1pigskin
09-24-2009, 01:41 AM
Guy on my rugby club did the "quad" on a seemingly innocent cut back move, with no contact involved - MCL, ACL, LCL and meniscus. Took him almost 2 years to get back to normal.

Holy sh&$.. That's a long time. Ouch.....

CarringtonBison
09-24-2009, 03:49 AM
Yes...my miniscus was beyond repair, thus leaving me without one in my right knee...Carrington, typical Bisonville thread drift here, but you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about knee injuries, I have always figured that my right knee will probably give me trouble as I get older due to having the miniscus removed, is that a safe assumption or am I way off base?

By removing the meniscus you can expect knee issues down the road, mainly an increased risk of osteoarthritis so take your chondroiton/glucosamine

BlueBisonRock
09-24-2009, 10:30 PM
By removing the meniscus you can expect knee issues down the road, mainly an increased risk of osteoarthritis so take your chondroiton/glucosamine

Continuing with thread drift: Does chondroiton/glucosamine provide benefits to a person with long term osteoarthritis? (no running for this cowboy)

CarringtonBison
09-24-2009, 10:57 PM
Continuing with thread drift: Does chondroiton/glucosamine provide benefits to a person with long term osteoarthritis? (no running for this cowboy)

yes, a double blind study has shown benefit for osteoarthritis. i think it was in the knees, but all the orthopedists I know recommend to their patients to start it.

A1pigskin
09-24-2009, 11:12 PM
yes, a double blind study has shown benefit for osteoarthritis. i think it was in the knees, but all the orthopedists I know recommend to their patients to start it.

I new I was going to learn stuff from this site.......

BisonNolesFan77
09-25-2009, 12:23 AM

Awesome...23 and already looking forward to knee problems! :banghead:

BlueBisonRock
09-26-2009, 09:17 AM

Thanks. I will continue with the pills and an occasional synvisc treatment.