PDA

View Full Version : Game thoughts

HerdBot
09-20-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm actually pretty excited about the win. First off, the offense was nothing short of spectacular. Does anyone realize we didn't even punt once? The O-Line is dominating and we averaged 10.6 yards per rushing attempt. Paschall was spectacular, DJ and Voight looked just as good in the backup roll. Sigers is great too. Shamen looked great. Our backs looked so good it's tough to figure out who should be the #2 guy. Metens looked great. And we did it without the use of Matt Veldman. The only bad play was the pick and the player made a good play.

I'll cut the defense some slack. Wagner does have a decent offense and some good players. Their running back was actually quite impressive. We always struggle against the spread. Bohl said the shuffled linebackers had some confusion early and they couldn't adjust because we scored too fast. When they did adjust they looked pretty good. We got lots of pressure and got a pick. We'll have Kittleson back next week.

Special team, besides the punt return screw up was solid. Nice to see a 50 yarder. Nice to see Shamen run one back 70 yards.

I won't be shocked if we pull the upset next week.

Jay
09-20-2009, 07:30 PM
We played Wagner.... Our running game/running backs were spectacular as expected... other than that... meh.

Bison101
09-20-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm actually pretty excited about the win. First off, the offense was nothing short of spectacular. Does anyone realize we didn't even punt once? The O-Line is dominating and we averaged 10.6 yards per rushing attempt. Paschall was spectacular, DJ and Voight looked just as good in the backup roll. Sigers is great too. Shamen looked great. Our backs looked so good it's tough to figure out who should be the #2 guy. Metens looked great. And we did it without the use of Matt Veldman. The only bad play was the pick and the player made a good play.

I'll cut the defense some slack. Wagner does have a decent offense and some good players. Their running back was actually quite impressive. We always struggle against the spread. Bohl said the shuffled linebackers had some confusion early and they couldn't adjust because we scored too fast. When they did adjust they looked pretty good. We got lots of pressure and got a pick. We'll have Kittleson back next week.

Special team, besides the punt return screw up was solid. Nice to see a 50 yarder. Nice to see Shamen run one back 70 yards.

I won't be shocked if we pull the upset next week.

I won't be shocked, but I'll sure as heck be stunned.

A1pigskin
09-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Our 1st quarter playing has to improve. To many yards given up. We cannot have this.

bisonmike2
09-20-2009, 08:40 PM
our offense did what they were expected to do against an inferior opponent. Our defense looked horrendous. I put our chances of beating the 8th ranked team in the country in their house at about 2%.

HerdBot
09-20-2009, 08:45 PM
We played Wagner.... Our running game/running backs were spectacular as expected... other than that... meh.

We didn't punt. No matter who you are playing that is impressive. 1st quarter defense was so so but looking at the entire game it wasn't too bad. We will have to play better on defense to beat SIU. The good news is we got some more game experience as a unit, didn't get any major injuries, and got better. Next week we will be better at linebacker with Kittleson back and Garrett Johnson looked good.

Bisonfan1
09-20-2009, 08:57 PM
The yellow shirts on the coaching staff look terrible. That is why the Bison were struggling when no way they should have been against Wagner College. This has to be it. And thats all I have to say about that.

SDbison
09-20-2009, 10:01 PM
No at all impressed by the victory against a DII level scholarship team that plays in the FCS. Except for Paschall and the offensive line not much to cheer about. McNorton and Voitlander look promising too.
An average NDSU team should have been ahead of the Wagner Powerpainters 42-0 at half. This is not an average NDSU team (Hint: they are not above average either). So SIU will crush NDSU next week. If you don't believe it you are just a homer who is wishful thinking.
NOTE: What the heck is Bohls problem with not letting backup QBs get some decent reps?

BisoninNWMN
09-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Wagner ran large splits between their lineman to spread our D-line out and it worked pretty well for almost 2 quarters.

Defense needs to significantly improve or this will be a very long season....:(

99Bison
09-20-2009, 10:41 PM
The yellow shirts on the coaching staff look terrible. That is why the Bison were struggling when no way they should have been against Wagner College. This has to be it. And thats all I have to say about that.

Exactly, they started with those last year!

NWNDBison
09-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Interesting stat:

But NDSU (1-2) piled on 338 yards of rushing offense in scoring the most points by a Seahawk opponent in more than 70 years, with Bison halfback Pat Paschall leading the way with 167 yards and two TDs on 10 carries.

More than 70 years...that's sometime in the 1930s.

Full Story: http://www.silive.com/colleges/index.ssf/2009/09/bisons_stampede_wagner_59-28.html

JSUBison
09-21-2009, 12:30 AM
Interesting stat:

But NDSU (1-2) piled on 338 yards of rushing offense in scoring the most points by a Seahawk opponent in more than 70 years, with Bison halfback Pat Paschall leading the way with 167 yards and two TDs on 10 carries.

Full Story: http://www.silive.com/colleges/index.ssf/2009/09/bisons_stampede_wagner_59-28.html

They must be talking dog years, cuz the college football powerhouse known as Rowan put 59 on them in 1992.

tony
09-21-2009, 12:40 AM
They must be talking dog years, cuz the college football powerhouse known as Rowan put 59 on them in 1992.

Must have meant to write "nobody has scored more points on Wagner in 70 years."

MinotBison
09-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Maybe I missed it somewhere else, but does anyone know what happened to the Wagner player that was injured and had to be carried off on a stretcher? Sure hope he's okay.

DjKyRo
09-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Maybe I missed it somewhere else, but does anyone know what happened to the Wagner player that was injured and had to be carried off on a stretcher? Sure hope he's okay.

We were loading up instruments after the game, and got a chance to talk with one of the paramedics as he was standing around. According to him, he figures it was, at most, a serious concussion. The injured player was unresponsive, and I'm guessing that was what necessitated the stretcher/ambulance - they don't want to risk additional injury by moving him if he's hurt.

From the guy's attitude it apparently wasn't REALLY serious, but I'm guessing he'll be banged up for a good part of the season. Tough break for the guy.

BisManBison
09-21-2009, 01:36 AM

He was released from the hospital late last night with a concussion. Apparently he was knocked unconscious.

G-city Bison Fan
09-21-2009, 01:37 AM
Wagner ran large splits between their lineman to spread our D-line out and it worked pretty well for almost 2 quarters.

Defense needs to significantly improve or this will be a very long season....:(

If we don't get a win against IL St. I could very easily seeing us lose the next 5 straight.

roadwarrior
09-21-2009, 01:46 AM
The story from NY posted in another thread said that the injured Wagner player returned home last night on their charter flight.

yellowstreak
09-21-2009, 01:53 AM
NOTE: What the heck is Bohls problem with not letting backup QBs get some decent reps?

I agree, should have put the backup QB's in closer to the beginning of the 4th quarter.

DORMIE
09-21-2009, 01:56 AM
I don't even know why I read this piece of shit anymore. Some of you are truly pathetic. Most of you know it all's, havn't had a positive response in months. Go suck eggs!!

SDbison
09-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Edited by admin.

admin
09-21-2009, 02:33 AM
I don't even know why I read this piece of shit anymore. Some of you are truly pathetic. Most of you know it all's, havn't had a positive response in months. Go suck eggs!!

The Angry Elf suggests trying the "Ignore" feature. I know I would if I could.

Hey! Maybe I could to start an advice column in the Suggestions & Announcements forum. :)

HerdBot
09-21-2009, 02:49 AM
Interesting stat:

We put up the most points anyone has put on Wagner in 70 years of football and nobody can even agree that it's a good accomplishment? Seriously, we didn't punt once and we scored on every drive. At worst, that is offensive perfection against an inferrior opponent. These guys are definitely a step down but any team that can win a D3 National Championship as recently as '87 is certainly worthy of SOME respect. They do have as many scholarships as we had when we were a D2 team and we all know that we could compete with 1-AA and even 1-A teams as a D2 team. I think we all agree there is more talent in NY than in the midwest.

The defense had an average showing but as Bohl put it we had 3 brand new linebackers playing new positions and they expected them to make mistakes. Better against Wagner than SIU. Also he said we scored so quickly we didn't have time to adjust. We have more scholarship players but I guarantee you we have morore key injuries like Henry (starting MLB), Kittleson (starting ouside linebacker), Gatlin (3rd corner) and our starting free safety in Eaves and depth in Jackson. Heck that's 2/3 of our linebackers and all of our depth in the secondary!

This game was a lose lose for us. If we blow them out - we're supposed to blow them out. For Wagner it was their biggest game in years so you know they were jacked up.

SDbison
09-21-2009, 04:03 AM
Edited by Admin.

Jay
09-21-2009, 04:14 AM

Well Dormie... when you are in the top of the FCS in attendance, have a big budget, and supposedly have a top recruiting class every year... I expect better out of certain spots on this team. IMO.. their should never be a down year, let alone consecutive years.

MPLSbisonFAN
09-21-2009, 04:19 AM
We put up the most points anyone has put on Wagner in 70 years of football and nobody can even agree that it's a good accomplishment? Seriously, we didn't punt once and we scored on every drive. At worst, that is offensive perfection against an inferrior opponent. These guys are definitely a step down but any team that can win a D3 National Championship as recently as '87 is certainly worthy of SOME respect. They do have as many scholarships as we had when we were a D2 team and we all know that we could compete with 1-AA and even 1-A teams as a D2 team. I think we all agree there is more talent in NY than in the midwest.

The defense had an average showing but as Bohl put it we had 3 brand new linebackers playing new positions and they expected them to make mistakes. Better against Wagner than SIU. Also he said we scored so quickly we didn't have time to adjust. We have more scholarship players but I guarantee you we have morore key injuries like Henry (starting MLB), Kittleson (starting ouside linebacker), Gatlin (3rd corner) and our starting free safety in Eaves and depth in Jackson. Heck that's 2/3 of our linebackers and all of our depth in the secondary!

This game was a lose lose for us. If we blow them out - we're supposed to blow them out. For Wagner it was their biggest game in years so you know they were jacked up.

1 state better than the entire midwest??? That's BS! If I coached I would take our entire OLine(all from the midwest) over any from NY.

BadlandsBison
09-21-2009, 04:26 AM
The spread option is still killing us. And the great thing is we are going to see it all season long. Is it possible for a defense to be too predictable??

(I doubt teh Holy Order of the Bison approves of our lack of D)

HerdBot
09-21-2009, 07:23 AM
1 state better than the entire midwest??? That's BS! If I coached I would take our entire OLine(all from the midwest) over any from NY.

Assuming they only recruit New York and New Jersey, they have a population that is 28 million. The population of our 4 main recruiting area's are about 12 million. Wonder why Bohl has to get players from Texas, Illinois, and all over the country?

Population by state:
New York 19,490,297
New Jersey 8,682,661

Wisconsin: 5,627,967
Minnesota: 5,220,393
North Dakota: 641,481
South Dakota: 804,194

BTW..
Iowa and Nebraska have about 5 million if you add them into the mix.
Now if we include Illinois and their 12 million now we're in the mix! (strange we don't tap Illinois more considering we got Mays, Walker, and Drago out of Illinois. I think we only have a few Illinois players right now. Fairbairn has been great. Stoczynski and Colvin have gotten playing time.Eaves and Banks have been hurt but seem to have good potential.)

Bison Dan
09-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Well Dormie... when you are in the top of the FCS in attendance, have a big budget, and supposedly have a top recruiting class every year... I expect better out of certain spots on this team. IMO.. their should never be a down year, let alone consecutive years.

Never a down year? Man you can sure tell most of these posters have never played sports or know nothing about them. Never a down year, because we have a great fan base and the school and fans support the team. WOW what world do you live in?

Jay
09-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Never a down year? Man you can sure tell most of these posters have never played sports or know nothing about them. Never a down year, because we have a great fan base and the school and fans support the team. WOW what world do you live in?

Sorry Dan... I did play sports and maybe I expect a lot. But top programs should never have consecutive down years imo. And if you want to take me on in a sport or some sports trivia, I'd gladly do it. Maybe you grew up in a culture of losing and are accustomed to it. I didn't.

Tatanka
09-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Good:
* Pat Paschall. O-Line in general.
* Band.
* Band marching in formation on and off the field. It's about time!
* Tailgating.
* Bibeau. (hey, credit where credit is due)
* Mertens.
* Student section (first half).
* Intro video.

Bad:
* WTF is Mertens doing in this game in the second half?
* Seriously, WTF?
* No, really?

Ugly:
* Bison Defense. Next week is going to suck balls if they can't stop the pass.
* Announcer pimping the aforementioned Bison defense.

BisonBabe
09-21-2009, 01:25 PM
My thoughts on the game are this. We need the Defense to work together better. Mertens has come a long way from last season and I was not a fan before but I now believe he can get the job done. I am not a fair weather fan so I will stand behind out team and deal with the good, bad and ugly that goes with being a true fan. Sure I would like to see our team win each and every week and then sail through to the championship game. But even if they don't I will still follow them.

I see the keys to success being getting the Defense firing on all cylinders and keep the O on the track they are on currently. Always room for improvement. Hopefully we do not lose any more players to injuries and that the guys all keep their grades up so they do not become ineligible.

BTW try and keep your comments classy so the Angry Elf does not have to edit.

BIGTIME
09-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Congratulations to NDSU and its "great" football program. This was a huge win this weekend against the mighty Wagner College!!!:banghead:

CaBisonFan
09-21-2009, 01:40 PM
The win was a win in several ways. It gave the coaches and players a chance to do some experimenting & to learn.

In 2003 Montana lost to a real DII team that didn't even win its conference, and still went on to have a very good season.

Gabe and I will be driving the bandwagon when yir all tryin' ta jump on. Might be goin' a little fast fir ya. 4mcrue, yir invited ta help drive. Herd ya was impressed with the Bison on Saturday, and that Wagner wasn't as bad as billed.

http://www.webgains.com/newsletter/images/bandwagon.bmp

GOB1SON
09-21-2009, 01:54 PM
The offense looked pretty good.
Paschall is a stud and I liked what I saw out of DJ, combo back with the run and pass.
Mertens threw at least two passes that he either 1) shouldn't have because he didn't see the defender or 2) had extreme confidence in his ability to deliver the ball, and I'm not talking about the interception, which was a great individual effort on the part of the d-lineman that took it away.
O-line looked good, but against Wagner.

The defense got better as the game went along.
Coach attributed some of the early struggles in the running game to PE moving to middle and BJ starting and getting real PT for the first time.
I am still CONCERNED about 32 and 6 in the passing game. I didn't see much in the way of real improvement from SHSU with regards to man cover schemes; in fact, 32 looked exactly the same on the long pass up the sidelines, he didn't turn to look at the ball and grabbed the reciever when the pass was coming in, and the reciever still caught the damn ball and he got a penalty. Look familar???? Don't know why Wagner didn't air it out more.

I am expecting an improvement against SIU, but I am not gonna predict a win. I would just love to see the D improve and the O get it clicking. Maybe we can outscore them.

TransAmBison
09-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Wow, TAB went off the deep end. I left the game absolutely furious. I went off (foolishly) on a post, and then still didn't feel like myself even yesterday and had another post I hope is somewhat un-TAB-like. Another day to collect my thoughts and ponder the game. I definitely do not hate Bohl. Absolutely ludicrous. There, I said it. BisoninNWMN had it pretty much spot on...I was a clown.

I am not happy with the limited action of Mohler. No justification in my book, it is Bohl's weakness. I do feel this is the poorest defense the Bison have ever had since I have followed them. I do feel it is partly due the void left by Mays, Maresh, and Humber. I think losing those three is like the loss of Walker. The secondary is beyond poor at this point.

Bright spots.
--Preston Evans. He continues to impress me.
--Paschall. Wow.
--McNorton. Nice to see him past the line of scrimmage and into the secondary.
--Voit. My favorite player.
--Bibeau. 52 yard field goal. I was completely surprised. Nice job.

Low point...
--TAB needs to put away the keyboard until alcohol and hangover wear off.

SDbison
09-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Wow, TAB went off the deep end. I left the game absolutely furious. I went off (foolishly) on a post, and then still didn't feel like myself even yesterday and had another post I hope is somewhat un-TAB-like. Another day to collect my thoughts and ponder the game. I definitely do not hate Bohl. Absolutely ludicrous. There, I said it. BisoninNWMN had it pretty much spot on...I was a clown.

I am not happy with the limited action of Mohler. No justification in my book, it is Bohl's weakness. I do feel this is the poorest defense the Bison have ever had since I have followed them. I do feel it is partly due the void left by Mays, Maresh, and Humber. I think losing those three is like the loss of Walker. The secondary is beyond poor at this point.

Bright spots.
--Paschall. Wow.

Low point...
Not sure I know how you feel? Never been there myself..........:blush:

Tatanka
09-21-2009, 04:51 PM

Bright spots.
--Paschall. Wow.

Low point...

Welcome back to the clean world!

BadlandsBison
09-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Congratulations to NDSU and its "great" football program. This was a huge win this weekend against the mighty Wagner College!!!:banghead:

You're just a "huge" UNI fan.

Need more bbq sauce on your pop tarts?

onbison09
09-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Why does the D come out slow it seems like and then improve as the game goes on? I know you're going to have to make some adjustments inevitably but it seems a little crazy having to do that every week.

OldBison
09-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Seriously, we didn't punt once and we scored on every drive.

I agree with everything you said except this sentence. Mertens threw an INT to a DE who had previously knocked down two of his passes. Small details, but technically one possession, in which the Bison were driving, ended up in a turnover.

HerdBot
09-21-2009, 05:42 PM
I agree with everything you said except this sentence. Mertens threw an INT to a DE who had previously knocked down two of his passes. Small details, but technically one possession, in which the Bison were driving, ended up in a turnover.

True. He did make a good play though and Mertens was about to get leveled.

tony
09-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Looking at the Paschall run, gotta give a hand to the offensive line and receivers blocking... Austin Richard pulling? Looked like a man-avalanche. A man-valanche?

HerdBot
09-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Looking at the Paschall run, gotta give a hand to the offensive line and receivers blocking... Austin Richard pulling? Looked like a man-avalanche. A man-valanche?

Gotta love the Fargo guy kicking some ass!

BadlandsBison
09-21-2009, 08:20 PM

The O-line is playing great. I'm blown away by their improvement since last year.

99Bison
09-22-2009, 03:33 AM
Here's a wagner link if it hasn't been posted already:

http://www.silive.com/colleges/index.ssf/2009/09/bisons_stampede_wagner_59-28.html

UTH
09-25-2009, 06:11 AM
The Angry Elf suggests trying the "Ignore" feature. I know I would if I could.

Hey! Maybe I could to start an advice column in the Suggestions & Announcements forum. :)

At your service.:bow:

Herd80
09-25-2009, 01:24 PM
At your service.:bow:

Welcome back, man...glad to see you on here.

My advice: you must go over and join in the Freudian sausage discussion link. It is sure to add some joy to your day.

NDSUstudent
09-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Wagner won 56-48 today over St. Francis. St. Francis is 1-3 but only lost to New Hampshire by 10 and UNI beat them 30-0. So I guess our cupcake is better than UNI's cupcake.

Twentysix
09-26-2009, 09:42 PM
lol so which one has more frosting? the winner of the cupcakes, or the bigger cupcake?

Bisonguy
09-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Wagner won 56-48 today over St. Francis. St. Francis is 1-3 but only lost to New Hampshire by 10 and UNI beat them 30-0. So I guess our cupcake is better than UNI's cupcake.
Best news I've heard all day. Only thing that could top it would be total domination of the Salukidogs.

Hansel
09-26-2009, 09:49 PM

South Dakota was UNI's cupcake ;)

NDSUstudent
09-26-2009, 09:49 PM
lol so which one has more frosting? the winner of the cupcakes, or the bigger cupcake?

Good question, the winner gets the glory or in the case of cupcakes...sprinkles?!?

I don't even know what USD is, damn UNI is like the big fat kid of the block, going on some kind of cupcake bender.