PDA

View Full Version : What's with the defense staring at the sideline?

CaBisonFan
09-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Somebody please explain this to me. On every play, including last year, the defense stands with their hands on their hips, staring at the sideline. I know, it's to see what the defensive coach wants. But it happens nearly until the other team lines up for the snap.

There doesn't appear to be any communication on the field. Not much moving around, not much of anything.

Is there something that I'm missing here? Seriously...I don't get it.

Serious question here. What's this about? Is it a coaching philosophy at work?

CaBisonFan
09-17-2009, 04:23 AM
looking at the coach's to see what play they're running

OK...but what about talking with each other? Isn't there a leader on defense?

99Bison
09-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Somebody please explain this to me. On every play, including last year, the defense stands with their hands on their hips, staring at the sideline. I know, it's to see what the defensive coach wants. But it happens nearly until the other team lines up for the snap.

There doesn't appear to be any communication on the field. Not much moving around, not much of anything.

I think your way overblowing it for this year at least. Doesn't seem like it's been happening.

CyRoller
09-17-2009, 05:35 PM
OK...but what about talking with each other? Isn't there a leader on defense?

That's probably why you lost to Sam Houston State.

heckler
09-17-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't know what he said but I bet it was stupid... I love the ignore feature. :D

X-Factor
09-17-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't know what he said but I bet it was stupid... I love the ignore feature. :D

I wont divulge the juicy details, but you are 100% correct! :D
May even attract a few red bars I dunno.

BurroBlue
09-17-2009, 06:54 PM

If the complete defense is being signaled in, there wouldn't be a reason for any other communication prior to their alignment on the field (other than the rah-rah stuff, of course). To most fans it appears that they are breaking their huddle really late, but the coaches upstairs are most likely waiting to see what kind of personnel the offense is going to break the huddle with before calling the d. Especially if Breske is upstairs, he'd have to compare his personnel charts against his down and distance and tendancy charts before making his call down to the field, then the call has to come in from the field coaches to the players. As long as they beat the snap, the amount of time doesn't matter much.

Bison06
09-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Quick question, I haven't noticed I guess. But are we huddling on defense? If so they should quit with that, there is no purpose to it. On defense we used to huddle and then realized that our defensive calls were so simple that everyone on defense should know them. We stopped huddling up after that and I personally loved it at corner because I wouldn't have to run out to my spot following each huddle. This gave me extra time to line up and get my pre-snap reads taken care of. Anyway I hope they haven't gone back to huddling because that really helped the corners when we stopped huddling.

56BISON73
09-17-2009, 07:54 PM
I wont divulge the juicy details, but you are 100% correct! :D
May even attract a few red bars I dunno.

youre welcome.:D

99Bison
09-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Quick question, I haven't noticed I guess. But are we huddling on defense? If so they should quit with that, there is no purpose to it. On defense we used to huddle and then realized that our defensive calls were so simple that everyone on defense should know them. We stopped huddling up after that and I personally loved it at corner because I wouldn't have to run out to my spot following each huddle. This gave me extra time to line up and get my pre-snap reads taken care of. Anyway I hope they haven't gone back to huddling because that really helped the corners when we stopped huddling.

We are not and have not been huddling on D.