PDA

View Full Version : Craig Bohl on the Fan at 12:15

The Lost Dutchman
09-15-2009, 01:55 PM
to talk about the upcoming matchup and taking calls as well.

aces1180
09-15-2009, 02:05 PM
What are the odds that Hammer asks him about playing the Sue?

The Lost Dutchman
09-15-2009, 02:25 PM

Zero, mark it down!

Tatanka
09-15-2009, 02:27 PM

Same as the odds of someone asking him to fire Breske or bench Mertens. :smh:

Thunder_Struck
09-15-2009, 03:42 PM
What is the over/under on number of times Hammer will bring up the fact that NDSU has more scholarships than Wagner?

aces1180
09-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Same as the odds of someone asking him to fire Breske or bench Mertens. :smh:

Yeah, I know...I was just being a smartass.

(Not a fan of teh Hammer.)

Tatanka
09-15-2009, 04:19 PM
(Not a fan of teh Hammer.)

This .

bisonmike2
09-15-2009, 05:15 PM
what's the station and does anyone know if they are on i heart radio?

HandoEX
09-15-2009, 05:20 PM
what's the station and does anyone know if they are on i heart radio?

740 The Fan out of Fargo.

bisonmike2
09-15-2009, 05:20 PM
740 The Fan out of Fargo.

thanks, I don't see it on my I heart radio app.

tony
09-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Great show so far!

HandoEX
09-15-2009, 05:38 PM
He talked about the challenge of going on the road twice.

Talked about the piss poor defense and said it is on his shoulders. Said the defense "stunk". Mentioned the learning curve of new guys (Riley's mistake) and the new defensive coaches.

Talked about forcing Mertens to emulate "someone else" last year...IE: Walker.

KilldeerBison
09-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Coach sounds really fired-up!

tjbison
09-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Coach sounds really fired-up!

thought he gave a good interview, didn't beat around the bush

Mohler doesn't sound like he is close to the #2 which makes me more confident in Dante, hopefully Brock is learning alot and maturing so we can have 3 capable qb's next year.

I'm offically ready for Saturday and the rest of the NEW season!!!

tony
09-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Heck, if they put the show up on their website, I'm going to listen to it again. Very good.

Coach Bohl is kinda fired up.

Talked about Tyler Henry, Gus Bradley, Willie Mack Garza, 70 passes with only 1 sack, Mertens, Jose Mohler, Garrett Johnson, Shamen, etc.

TheBisonator
09-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Sounds like Coach is motivated to start winning some games.

Winning the next 2 games in a row would be just what the doctor ordered going into Homecoming.

The Lost Dutchman
09-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Heck, if they put the show up on their website, I'm going to listen to it again. Very good.

Coach Bohl is kinda fired up.

Talked about Tyler Henry, Gus Bradley, Willie Mack Garza, 70 passes with only 1 sack, Mertens, Jose Mohler, Garrett Johnson, Shamen, etc.

Here ya go Tony, http://216.117.157.184/740thefan/uploads/Craig%20Bohl%20Interview%20September%2015th.mp3. Talk about just sitting back and enjoying Craig Bohl.

gotts
09-15-2009, 08:09 PM
thanks, I don't see it on my I heart radio app.

I week ago I bought the ooTunes app and it seems to pick up every station I'd like to listen to in the FM area as well as MSP..

Haven't used I heart radio.

rutlandbison
09-15-2009, 08:50 PM
I like the quote about Garrett Johnson
"1 guy doesn't make a difference, but he makes a difference"

Hope like hell Garrett does good.
Wonderful interview. Didn't go around questions. Loved it.

NDSUFan_Sav
09-15-2009, 11:02 PM
that was a goooood interview was really pleased what was discussed, he said it wasn't all just the DBs when you see bad pass defense he said it had to do with not getting to the QB as well, he said we were about a half a step away from him a few times but he got the pass off. They will be working on different formations that will help get to the QB.

Facts
09-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Coach Bohl was very candid, and I think we can appreciate that. Let's see if he can back up the talk with some W's. Henry's loss is huge though. I hope someone can fill the void. Will he be eligible for a medical hardship?

KTF
09-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Henry isn't eligible for a medical hardship as he was injured a year or two ago...

EndZoneQB
09-15-2009, 11:57 PM
Henry isn't eligible for a medical hardship as he was injured a year or two ago...

Jordan Shipley got 2 of them...

KTF
09-16-2009, 12:00 AM
I heard/saw it on the coach bohl show with Phil Hanson. Staright from Coach Bohl's mouth...

EndZoneQB
09-16-2009, 12:04 AM
I heard/saw it on the coach bohl show with Phil Hanson. Staright from Coach Bohl's mouth...

I think he redshirted as a freshman too?

KTF
09-16-2009, 12:08 AM
I think he redshirted as a freshman too?

I believe he did red shirt!

EndZoneQB
09-16-2009, 12:10 AM
I believe he did red shirt!

I believe that is the reason you can't get the medical extension..but I could be wrong...

SDbison
09-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Sounds like Coach is motivated to start winning some games.

Winning the next 2 games in a row would be just what the doctor ordered going into Homecoming.
Do you think?????????
What the hell was he doing before?

SDbison
09-16-2009, 01:20 AM
He talked about the challenge of going on the road twice.

Talked about the piss poor defense and said it is on his shoulders. Said the defense "stunk". Mentioned the learning curve of new guys (Riley's mistake) and the new defensive coaches.

Talked about forcing Mertens to emulate "someone else" last year...IE: Walker.
It's damn well on his shoulders........also what the heck was Riley doing on the field at a critical point in the game.......bad coaching decision. Just plain bad decison to put a non football player out there after a few practices......

SDbison
09-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Bohl better start producing and start retaining some decent players that can back up positions. As far as I am concerned the fire Bohl watch has started. Not much steam yet, but keep on making excuses about injuries, not being prepared, etc. and he might find himself without a job. No way should the Bison be second fiddle to SDSU. Another mark against him will be 3 straight losses to the bunnies.

unbison
09-16-2009, 01:48 AM
flush bohl down the toilet bowl

BisBison
09-16-2009, 02:10 AM
flush bohl down the toilet bowl

Wow. :smh:

Bison bison
09-16-2009, 02:55 AM
Bohl better start producing and start retaining some decent players that can back up positions. As far as I am concerned the fire Bohl watch has started. Not much steam yet, but keep on making excuses about injuries, not being prepared, etc. and he might find himself without a job. No way should the Bison be second fiddle to SDSU. Another mark against him will be 3 straight losses to the bunnies.

I second this.

bisontwice
09-16-2009, 11:51 AM

The life of a coach. A couple of years ago we were wondering how much it would take to keep Bohl here and now it is time to fire him??? A couple of plays go different and we are 2-0 instead and everyone is happy.

Bison Dan
09-16-2009, 12:37 PM
The life of a coach. A couple of years ago we were wondering how much it would take to keep Bohl here and now it is time to fire him??? A couple of plays go different and we are 2-0 instead and everyone is happy.

Talk about fair weather fans that display their ignorance on boards. 2 - 10-1 seasons and he's all world to them and now he doesn't know how to coach? Every team has their up's and down's. Some people need to get a life.

SDbison
09-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Talk about fair weather fans that display their ignorance on boards. 2 - 10-1 seasons and he's all world to them and now he doesn't know how to coach? Every team has their up's and down's. Some people need to get a life.
Why don't you get quit being so ignorant Danny boy. Bohl had those 10-1 seasons with someone elses recruits. Add to that the Walker factor and the great leadership on the field. Bohls recruits have been thin with lots of off the field issues and defections. Bohls recruits have also failed to step up and make it happen. Did I mention lack of leadership?
Other than the big wins during transition there hasn't been much to cheer about since the 2000 playoff run and the 1990 championship. NDSU shouldn't have back to back seasons around .500. If pressure doesn't come to bear on Bohl to start making some changes NDSU could become just like SDSU and Stigelmeier. About 11 seasons of mediocrity. We don't want that. It's about time Bohl starts doing a better job getting recruits that want to stay and win.

cbline
09-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Why don't you get quit being so ignorant Danny boy. Bohl had those 10-1 seasons with someone elses recruits. Add to that the Walker factor and the great leadership on the field. Bohls recruits have been thin with lots of off the field issues and defections. Bohls recruits have also failed to step up and make it happen. Did I mention lack of leadership?
Otther than the big wins during transition there hasn't been much to cheer about since the 2000 playoff run and the 1990 championship. NDSU shouldn't have back to back seasons around .500. If pressure doesn't come to bear on Bohl to start making some changes NDSU could become just like SDSU and Stigelmeier. About 11 seasons of mediocrity. No its about time Bohl starts doing a better job getting recruits that want to stay and win.

I agree with you, SDBison. The next two seasons for Coach Bohl sound a lot like the Charlie Weiss saga at my beloved Notre Dame: time to stand on your own and deliver.

GOB1SON
09-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Other than the big wins during transition there hasn't been much to cheer about since the 2000 playoff run and the 1990 championship. NDSU shouldn't have back to back seasons around .500. If pressure doesn't come to bear on Bohl to start making some changes NDSU could become just like SDSU and Stigelmeier. About 11 seasons of mediocrity. We don't want that. It's about time Bohl starts doing a better job getting recruits that want to stay and win.

I don't always agree with how SD presents stuff (he sounds like a guy with a sore tooth most of the time) but he is spot on here.

We had better be damn sure competive each and every year in the MVFC.

We have the largest budget (I think, anyone help me here?)

We have arguably the best facilities.

We have the best fan support (based on attendance and contributions)

However, one year in and we look like we are going to be a middle of the pack team.

This in NOT acceptable.

Now I'm not ready to throw anyone under the bus quite yet (and neither is SD, if I read him right).

But a 2-3 years of .500 in conference play, and my rose-colored glasses will definitely be out the window and we will go shopping for a new head coach.

I just want to win.

BisonAccountant44
09-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Otther than the big wins during transition there hasn't been much to cheer about since the 2000 playoff run and the 1990 championship. NDSU shouldn't have back to back seasons around .500. If pressure doesn't come to bear on Bohl to start making some changes NDSU could become just like SDSU and Stigelmeier. About 11 seasons of mediocrity. No its about time Bohl starts doing a better job getting recruits that want to stay and win.

Come on this happens all the time!

Oh wait, we haven't had back to back years under .500 since 1962 & 1963, and the last time we had consecutive years at even .600 was 78, 79, & 80!

If things don't turn around quickly, and we end the season in the area of 6-5, 5-6, 4-7 as many are not predicting, heck even if we finish 7-4, 2008 & 2009 are going to be the worst back-to-back seasons in Bison football since 1962 & 1963! The bunnies also hadn't come in to Fargo and won a game since around those 62 & 63 seasons up until last year, and now we're talking 3 straight losses to the Jacks?!?!

Those are two very big strikes against coach right now in my book. I'm not saying he should be run out of town, that he is really on "the hot seat" yet, or that we should all go jumping off cliff's. All I'm saying is that there are some valid points being be made here by SD and other, and we shouldn't be looking at our situation through green colored glasses, or dismissing them just because we're unhappy with SD and some comments that may have been made over the offseason.

If October 11 comes around though, and we're sitting at 4-2, everything changes.

Bison Dan
09-16-2009, 02:59 PM

Yes you're absolutely right Bohl needs to go. Why wait, call Gene and voice your concerns and tell him to fire Bohl. By the way what else is there to cheer for during a transition, but big wins??? "Pressure to bear" - and that will do what??? Are you saying he's failing on purpose? That only pressure will cause him to make the right decisions?

SDbison
09-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Yes you're absolutely right Bohl needs to go. Why wait, call Gene and voice your concerns and tell him to fire Bohl. By the way what else is there to cheer for during a transition, but big wins??? "Pressure to bear" - and that will do what??? Are you saying he's failing on purpose? That only pressure will cause him to make the right decisions?
Do I detect a bit of sarcasm?
Is that your best sweater in the photo?
Also, are those green and gold glasses?
Oh yeah, Bohl does need a kick in the butt, so do some of his players.

HerdBot
09-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Come on this happens all the time!

Oh wait, we haven't had back to back years under .500 since 1962 & 1963, and the last time we had consecutive years at even .600 was 78, 79, & 80!

If things don't turn around quickly, and we end the season in the area of 6-5, 5-6, 4-7 as many are not predicting, heck even if we finish 7-4, 2008 & 2009 are going to be the worst back-to-back seasons in Bison football since 1962 & 1963! The bunnies also hadn't come in to Fargo and won a game since around those 62 & 63 seasons up until last year, and now we're talking 3 straight losses to the Jacks?!?!

Those are two very big strikes against coach right now in my book. I'm not saying he should be run out of town, that he is really on "the hot seat" yet, or that we should all go jumping off cliff's. All I'm saying is that there are some valid points being be made here by SD and other, and we shouldn't be looking at our situation through green colored glasses, or dismissing them just because we're unhappy with SD and some comments that may have been made over the offseason.

If October 11 comes around though, and we're sitting at 4-2, everything changes.

Bohl is a great coach and well liked in the community, but he's not invincible and if he doesn't win, he will be criticized and held accountable, just like every other coach in the nation.

Comparing wins to the D2 level isn't a fair measuring stick because we're not a D2 team anymore. SDSU is fully funded now.

But I do agree that Bohl has all the tools. He has the largest budget, best facilities, highest salary, the best fans, and one of the better traditions in the MFVC.

NDSU also has a larger recruiting budget. Heck, I even think he's got an airplane for recruiting.

So Bohls should be held to a higher standard. How many franchises consider a National Championship a goal?

On the flipside, our conference foes have some great tradition and facilities tool. Youngstown, UNI, and SIU have great stadius and traditions but we're nowhere near Youngstown with 4 national championships, SIU with 1 championship, and UNI being a contender every year.

Bison Dan
09-16-2009, 03:37 PM

I suggest you call Coach Bohl and arrange a meeting with the team before the game and let them know how disappointed you are with them. I think you'll find that they're harder on themselves than you ever could be. As far as having the best of this and the best of that if that's all it took to get a national title every school would have it. Look at Ralph - how many NC do they have since it was build?

bisonhusker
09-16-2009, 04:02 PM
I personally think alot of the stuff has been out of the coaching staffs control, the one problem I have with Bohl is that he seems to get the most out of the team against 1A teams (Cent Michigan, Ball State, Gophers...etc), but is failing in rivalry games. I think he lost to UND, his record against SDSU is flat out a joke.......I think we need to refocus on these games. Since I am a huge Nebraska fan, I think when we play against other schools....we are their big game. They play their best. Similar to Nebraska. Even when Nebraska is below Average...if they go to ANY school in the Big 12...it is a HUGE game for that team and their fanbase.

I will agree with Lakes, the next two week are CRITICAL.

Tailgate in 71 hours.

The Lost Dutchman
09-16-2009, 04:19 PM

I think as a fan you deserve a kick in the butt. You got spoiled for a couple of years and now you expect the Bison to be an 8 or 9 win team every year regardless. Guess what, it's not going to happen, your going to have some struggles especially when your a young team like the Bison. God forbid, it's always the coaches fault when a team can't live up to unrealstic expecations set forth by the fans. I'm just glad your not the AD, otherwise you would be calling for Saul's head if he happens not to win 20 games the next couple of years too.

SDbison
09-16-2009, 04:37 PM
I think as a fan you deserve a kick in the butt. You got spoiled for a couple of years and now you expect the Bison to be an 8 or 9 win team every year regardless. Guess what, it's not going to happen, your going to have some struggles especially when your a young team like the Bison. God forbid, it's always the coaches fault when a team can't live up to unrealstic expecations set forth by the fans. I'm just glad your not the AD, otherwise you would be calling for Saul's head if he happens not to win 20 games the next couple of years too.
Basketball is totally different based on the limited scollies and few players that see the court during games. Anyway, NDSU is still a football school.......I think!
Go ahead try to kick me in the butt. Guess people are not entitled to their opinion. On this one though you are likely becoming the minority, as the losses, lack of winning rivalry games, off field issues and no playoffs continues more fans are getting impatient with Bohl. As for football, Bohl has a cadillac program and is performing like a mid size Chevy. Likewise for basketball Phillips has a compact Chevy and has performed like a Lexus.

tcbison
09-16-2009, 04:37 PM
My biggest complaint against Bohl is he was better/team was better when he had a lower salary. Now he has one of the biggest salaries in FCS and he is struggling. That is what seems to happen in sports in general. Work hard to get that big pay day and when you do then things go downhill.

TransAmBison
09-16-2009, 04:39 PM
I guess my expectation of the coach is that last year's 6-5 is an anomaly. Two years in a row should never happen. 8 or 9 wins every year? You betcha, that is what I expect. I expect the Bison to be a premier football team. Basketball, I expect them making the big dance to be an anomaly. If NDSU accepts numerous 6-5 seasons we run the risk of becoming Northern Colorado.

rutlandbison
09-16-2009, 04:41 PM
I guess my expectation of the coach is that last year's 6-5 is an anomaly. Two years in a row should never happen. 8 or 9 wins every year? You betcha, that is what I expect. I expect the Bison to be a premier football team. Basketball, I expect them making the big dance to be an anomaly. If NDSU accepts numerous 6-5 seasons we run the risk of becoming Northern Colorado.
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/11/7/128706011472429126.jpg

GOB1SON
09-16-2009, 06:33 PM

Your damn right I expect us to win 8-9 or MORE games every year. In fact, we need to get to the point where an 8 win season is a huge disappointment.

I bet if you asked Coach Bohl he would say the same.

With this tradition and fanbase and administrative commitment, NDSU should be one of the top 5 FCS football programs in the nation.

We the fans, give a hell of a lot of money, and passion, and tears, and cheers to this team every single week.

We should expect nothing less than excellence.

bisonmike2
09-16-2009, 07:55 PM
The thing I took away from Bohl's interview yesterday was, he knows there's a problem, he took responsibility for it, and he knows it's on his shoulders to fix it. He knows we want wins, and not only that, we expect to be contending for championships. This wasn't a man calling into the radio station complaining how the forum or the fan was misrepresenting his team. He wasn't making excuses, he was looking for solutions.

bisonfan11
09-17-2009, 03:03 AM
I hope that Coach Bohl can take control of this team. I personally have high expectations for the Bison and why not? Do you think that Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois have season's "off" where making the play-offs is not the goal. Sadly even the Bunnies are starting to hold a higher standard for their team than the Bison right now. First off we NEED to field a better team than SDSU year in and year out and there should be no excuses about that. Secondly NDSU's main goal is to be among the top 3 in the MVC (along with UNI and Southern Illinois). I think that coach Bohl needs to bear down on the players and get the best out of them. I don't know that Bohl is doing that now, but given his success I am not ready to start any "Fire Bohl" posts just yet.

The Lost Dutchman
09-17-2009, 03:37 AM
I hope that Coach Bohl can take control of this team. I personally have high expectations for the Bison and why not? Do you think that Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois have season's "off" where making the play-offs is not the goal. Sadly even the Bunnies are starting to hold a higher standard for their team than the Bison right now. First off we NEED to field a better team than SDSU year in and year out and there should be no excuses about that. Secondly NDSU's main goal is to be among the top 3 in the MVC (along with UNI and Southern Illinois). I think that coach Bohl needs to bear down on the players and get the best out of them. I don't know that Bohl is doing that now, but given his success I am not ready to start any "Fire Bohl" posts just yet.

When do most teams lose pretty close to a 4 year starting QB and one of the great leaders in Bison history? Most teams don't lose a Steve Walker. People say that Bohl should have gotten Mertens more ready but when you have a horse like that, your going to ride it for everything its worth. I'm still not sure a lot of Bison fans understand how difficult it is in the MVC week in and week out considering the previous schedule before. Have a little bit of patience, when you have a young team like the Bison do it's going to take time!