PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for hoops yet?

Mr. Burgundy
09-14-2009, 12:44 AM
If the season started today: The Bison starting lineup.

Josh Vaughn PG
Michael Tveidt SG
Freddie Coleman SF
Eric Carlson PF
Dejuan Flowers C

Redshirting will most likely be Braun and Zastrow. Freshman playing Felt (SG) and post Jordan Aaberg who has added 30 lbs already (that is accurate) and has completely stole the show according to the older players. He plays harder than anyone and is the longest player on the team.

Alot of depth on this team. Less stars, more balance. Lets start talking hoops! They have 4 studs on campus for the Wagner game next weekend. I hope the dome is full and the tailgate is perfect. These 4 kids are semi regional, and are crazy athletes. One kid has a 40 inch verticle and a 31 on his ACT. Another is a 6'8 post that won his state high jump as a sophomore. I think we have 3 more scholarships after Marshall Bjorkland has taken the first of 4. Go Bison

lakesbison
09-14-2009, 12:46 AM
I got my tickets for summit tourney burgandy ROW 1 !!!

unbison
09-14-2009, 02:28 AM
dang we do agree on something...... i am eagerly anticipating!!!!!
good kids..... good competition.......down to earth coach....wow will be a breath of fresh air!!!

Kermit
09-14-2009, 03:04 AM

Josh Vaughn PG
Michael Tveidt SG
Freddie Coleman SF
Eric Carlson PF
Dejuan Flowers C

Tveidt is obviously the man on this team. It would be interesting to seem listed as a 2, but in reality, he will be guarded by every opponent's best defender, and he will often have to guard the other team's best. My expectations for this season are not high in terms of wins/post-season hopes, but it will be great fun to see the upper classmen finally get their shot at playing key roles, and even more fun to watch the young guys develop.

VanClubPres
09-14-2009, 03:11 AM
Tveidt is obviously the man on this team. It would be interesting to seem listed as a 2, but in reality, he will be guarded by every opponent's best defender, and he will often have to guard the other team's best. My expectations for this season are not high in terms of wins/post-season hopes, but it will be great fun to see the upper classmen finally get their shot at playing key roles, and even more fun to watch the young guys develop.

I cant wait, it is going to be a bit deflated, but who cares?!?! it is still going to be awesome.

Tveidt is going to have to step up into the most guarded role, big shoes to fill from woody. Everyone is going to gun on him, but maybe we can get Finger Rolling Freddy to put a big dunk a game in.

DjKyRo
09-14-2009, 05:35 AM
For those who think Tveidt can't fill Woody's shoes I have four words -

4/4 and 21.

OK, so maybe numbers, whatever. He delivered in perhaps the single most clutch performance we had last year (game-wide, with the exception of Woody's 37 on Kansas) and he's had all summer and lots of competition to improve upon. I think he'll be All-Summit this season, and with Aaberg and Freddy dominating the paint I think we stand a reasonable chance of making top 3 in the Summit League...and who knows, we might get a chance to do that whole "Big Dance" thing again. :D

NDSUFan_Sav
09-14-2009, 05:46 AM
Burgundy the one thing you're missing in your first post is a kid that I am excited to watch and grow is Nagel.....that kid might not look like a basketball player (the first time i saw him on the court i thought to myself who is this guy) but when I saw him play and what I've heard are completely different things and he will be huge off the bench.

This team WILL I repeat WILL surprise fans this year and the year after. They know what its like to win, they've all witnessed it and that hunger will be there.

ndsubison1
09-14-2009, 09:17 AM

Josh Vaughn PG
Michael Tveidt SG
Freddie Coleman SF
Eric Carlson PF
Dejuan Flowers C

Redshirting will most likely be Braun and Zastrow. Freshman playing Felt (SG) and post Jordan Aaberg who has added 30 lbs already (that is accurate) and has completely stole the show according to the older players. He plays harder than anyone and is the longest player on the team.

Alot of depth on this team. Less stars, more balance. Lets start talking hoops! They have 4 studs on campus for the Wagner game next weekend. I hope the dome is full and the tailgate is perfect. These 4 kids are semi regional, and are crazy athletes. One kid has a 40 inch verticle and a 31 on his ACT. Another is a 6'8 post that won his state high jump as a sophomore. I think we have 3 more scholarships after Marshall Bjorkland has taken the first of 4. Go Bison

What about Drew Lundberg? What's the word on him? Is he capable of being our PG? Not sure if Vaughan can be an everyday PG, he's more of a 2

HandoEX
09-14-2009, 03:52 PM
What about Drew Lundberg? What's the word on him? Is he capable of being our PG? Not sure if Vaughan can be an everyday PG, he's more of a 2

^This. Vaughn isn't quick enough and makes a natural 2. If Vaughn is at the point, I'm scared already.

roadwarrior
09-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Other players Burgundy missed that I am anxious to see play:

Lundberg
Nagel
Felt
Aaberg

rutlandbison
09-14-2009, 07:16 PM
No, it is not basketball season yet.

DjKyRo
09-14-2009, 07:22 PM
No, it is not basketball season yet.

Killjoy :D

Kermit
09-14-2009, 07:25 PM
^This. Vaughn isn't quick enough and makes a natural 2. If Vaughn is at the point, I'm scared already.

I agree. I like Vaughn. He is a fundamentally sound player with tremendous shooting range and good strength. While he has shown that he can fill in a few minutes at the point, I don't think I want to see him matched up with the likes of Johnathan Jones for a whole game. At this point, I'm going to choose to believe that Lundberg will eventually be the starter at the point. Zastrow is probably not ready.

Last time, I'm going to say this: I still wish Aaberg would redshirt. This year's team can use him and he's good enough to play, but when the 2013-14 season rolls around and Bjorklund, Braun, Zastrow are seniors there could be some big regrets. I might feel differently if this year's team looked like a post-season contender, but if the kid is going to be coming off the bench for a rebuilding team, is it worth it?

Bison"FANatic"
09-14-2009, 07:35 PM
You never know with injuries and such he may still just be on the team? I heard right from the horses mouth he is just to good to redshirt. And is up 30 lbs.

ndsubison1
09-14-2009, 08:17 PM
I agree. I like Vaughn. He is a fundamentally sound player with tremendous shooting range and good strength. While he has shown that he can fill in a few minutes at the point, I don't think I want to see him matched up with the likes of Johnathan Jones for a whole game. At this point, I'm going to choose to believe that Lundberg will eventually be the starter at the point. Zastrow is probably not ready.

Last time, I'm going to say this: I still wish Aaberg would redshirt. This year's team can use him and he's good enough to play, but when the 2013-14 season rolls around and Bjorklund, Braun, Zastrow are seniors there could be some big regrets. I might feel differently if this year's team looked like a post-season contender, but if the kid is going to be coming off the bench for a rebuilding team, is it worth it?

solid points and we also still have sussengueth too so i wouldnt mind seeing aaberg redshirt either... in a perfect world he redshirts, but if what i hear is correct, that he's put on 30 already and is ready to make an immediate impact and be a contributing factor then I think you need to play him right away

Mr. Burgundy
09-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Other players Burgundy missed that I am anxious to see play:

Lundberg
Nagel
Felt
Aaberg

I only listed the starting lineup and the freshman.

Some great conversation about these guys. Going to be fun. Nagel (Sav's man) is a beast. Watching him vs Cordova will be fun. Those are some strong boys. Lundberg will play a TON. He is by far the fastest with the ball on the team. He continues to work on his finishing. Expect good things with him. JV is going to have a nice senior year. It is his ball now. He is a coaches son and a gym rat (similar to Mike Nelson). He wants it bad and has really played well this summer. He is probably shooting somewhere right now.

Hey Kermit...I want Aaberg to redshirt too...he is just too big and too long. I asked one player on the team....if you had to get a bucket down low...who gets the ball. Answer: Aaberg. No hesitation. Also, there is a conditioning drill that Jordan wins. Something like up and back 3 times...and our 6'10 freshman is the winner. Against everyone. That is an athlete guys. Sometimes you put the best players out there...no matter what age.

Is it hoops yet? I am more excited to see these recruits on Saturday than I am the football game....nobody tailgates like the Bison. Jack fans get to see it in a month...prior to the buttwhooping they put on us.

tjbison
09-14-2009, 11:04 PM
I only listed the starting lineup and the freshman.

Some great conversation about these guys. Going to be fun. Nagel (Sav's man) is a beast. Watching him vs Cordova will be fun. Those are some strong boys. Lundberg will play a TON. He is by far the fastest with the ball on the team. He continues to work on his finishing. Expect good things with him. JV is going to have a nice senior year. It is his ball now. He is a coaches son and a gym rat (similar to Mike Nelson). He wants it bad and has really played well this summer. He is probably shooting somewhere right now.

Hey Kermit...I want Aaberg to redshirt too...he is just too big and too long. I asked one player on the team....if you had to get a bucket down low...who gets the ball. Answer: Aaberg. No hesitation. Also, there is a conditioning drill that Jordan wins. Something like up and back 3 times...and our 6'10 freshman is the winner. Against everyone. That is an athlete guys. Sometimes you put the best players out there...no matter what age.

Is it hoops yet? I am more excited to see these recruits on Saturday than I am the football game....nobody tailgates like the Bison. Jack fans get to see it in a month...prior to the buttwhooping they put on us.

Thats what makes winning teams!!!!!! If he is as good as said PUT HIM IN THE GAME!!!! all this talk is getting me pumped for bball!!!!

NDSUFan_Sav
09-14-2009, 11:28 PM
can we start tailgating for basketball this year?????

DjKyRo
09-15-2009, 12:07 AM
HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS. I was jsut at the gas station on the gas station on 10th and 19th and guess who I stood in line behind? Go ahead, guess.

SAUL PHILLIPS.

I grew a pair just as he was walking out and nervously blurted "Hey Coach Phillips!" He turned around, recognized me from the band and we talked for like two minutes, it was crazy!

NDSUFan_Sav
09-15-2009, 12:10 AM
LMAAAAAAAO

did you go home an immediately change your shorts/underwear? :D

DjKyRo
09-15-2009, 12:40 AM
yeah! Granted, marching band practice had just gotten over, but....it wass definitely because of the Saul thing.

the exciting part about it was that I asked him if he knew my younger brother who plays varsity basketball at Bismarck Century, and he said he was catching a few Patriots' games in Bizzo to check him out after their summer camp this year. Needless to say it was awesome.

tjbison
09-15-2009, 12:42 AM
yeah! Granted, marching band practice had just gotten over, but....it wass definitely because of the Saul thing.

the exciting part about it was that I asked him if he knew my younger brother who plays varsity basketball at Bismarck Century, and he said he was catching a few Patriots' games in Bizzo to check him out after their summer camp this year. Needless to say it was awesome.

you shouldn't be talking to Saul about possible recruits!!

:D :D

BisBison
09-15-2009, 12:50 AM
you shouldn't be talking to Saul about possible recruits!!

I don't think it's an issue for students. Just boosters.

Kermit
09-15-2009, 01:04 AM

This is the truth. Aaberg played on a truly bad high school basketball team--but on the couple of occasions I got to watch him last year he was captivating. I truly believe that he is special.

56BISON73
09-15-2009, 01:10 AM

I think Boosters can contact the coaches about potential recruits.

Boosters just cant contact recruits.

tjbison
09-15-2009, 01:12 AM

well those little green smilies were an apparent failed attempt on humor but ill give it another try

;) :D

DjKyRo
09-15-2009, 01:15 AM
No worries, none of the secret agent guys who prey on the board for other schools even know who I am...unless, you know, they read my screen name. But come on, let's be realistic here.

BisBison
09-16-2009, 02:28 AM
well those little green smilies were an apparent failed attempt on humor but ill give it another try

;) :D

didn't see them, they were so far down on your post.
Sorry.

Gully
09-19-2009, 12:35 AM
Which kid is from Oregon? Is he going to redshirt?

gotts
09-19-2009, 01:02 AM

Taylor Braun?

DjKyRo
09-19-2009, 01:28 AM

Taylor Braun, and the general idea is that he will most likely redshirt, along with perhaps Nate Zastrow - nothing definite from the coaches yet, but that's the general idea from around these parts.

Gully
09-19-2009, 02:04 AM
Thanks. He looked super athletic on tape but I suppose they want him to add some muscle. This year will be fun the the year after could really get interesting.

DjKyRo
09-19-2009, 02:59 AM
His dad had an account here (still does?) and was posting on how Taylor looked early in the summer - one story went something along the lines of him getting up and blocking a shot by Tvedidt, controlling the loose ball, taking it the length of the court and dishing it to Freddy for the alley-oop dunk.

So moreover, good stuff!

Mr. Burgundy
09-21-2009, 01:21 AM
I watched a scrimmage yesterday. Nagel is just tougher than everyone. Already favorite of mine. Sort of a Kevin Love type rebounder. He is just thick. Flowers is a new player. Added a 15 footer and always happy. I think the Juco kids like to be a stud. He will start. BIG DUNK. I thought he was taking the backboard down. Felt may have made 10 3 pointers. "You gonna pass today Felt?"
He says...."I haven't needed to yet." Everyone laughs. He made one from 28 feet. With a guy in his face. He just looks ready. Guys were yelling LAYUP when he would shoot. Fun to watch.
Carlson and Aaberg weren't there. Braun looked very good. Alot of passing lanes. Tveidt is going to be first team all conference. No brainer. He scores at will and is tipping everything on defense. He is just the best. Team Leader.
I think I am mostly impressed with the bigs. Sam was finishing with both hands and demanding the ball on the block. Flowers has CLEARLY improved. Add in what we have heard about Aaberg and how tough Nagel is...and we have some bigs. I think the work ethic of Nagel will turn into a fan favorite. He gets alot of loose balls. I would guess he comes off the bench and replaces Flowers and changes the game.

unbison
09-21-2009, 01:54 AM
burgandy..... is it looking like flowers will play the 5 or will he move to 4 where his athleticism can be showcased a little more?

Kermit
09-21-2009, 02:12 AM
burgandy..... is it looking like flowers will play the 5 or will he move to 4 where his athleticism can be showcased a little more?

Excellent question. I think this team's best chance to create matchup problems for most opponents may be in getting two of our bigs on the floor together. Flowers, Nagel, and Sussenguth can all contribute, but if they are limited to splitting minutes at the 5 spot we won't be getting the most out of them. We may not have that kind of quality depth at other positions, especially if some of the freshmen redshirt. By the way, I'm assuming Aaberg is a 4, but I don't know that for sure either.

ndsubison1
09-21-2009, 02:36 AM
i think a lot of people are going to expect a huge down year next year but i think this team will surprise some people... we have some guys who've been waiting in the wings, looking for their chance... i also think the new guys will help fill some voids... there will be some ups and downs to start the season but as the season goes along i think this team could be scary. oakland is obviously the favorite, but it's wide open after that

DjKyRo
09-21-2009, 02:39 AM
I think this season will be less of a "All emphasis on the Fab Four + Tveidt" and more of a 'Score by committee" sort of thing. We have a lot of weapons at a lot of positions, and those guys that didn't get much playing time are accomplished athletes that now have their chance to get out from under the shadow of Woodside et al.

I'm stoked for the season to start and to see what our team can do.

06panther10
09-21-2009, 02:42 AM
You guys should try and get a game scheduled with us. Maybe we would let you guys have a two in CF for one game in Fargo deal.:rofl:

Kidding kidding. But seriously, it would be fun.

DjKyRo
09-21-2009, 03:21 AM
You guys should try and get a game scheduled with us. Maybe we would let you guys have a two in CF for one game in Fargo deal.:rofl:

Kidding kidding. But seriously, it would be fun.

How are you guys in basketball, anyway?

06panther10
09-21-2009, 04:09 AM
We will have our entire starting 5 and all but one reserve returning of our team that went to the NCAA's, and won the regular season and tournament titles of the MVC.

ndsubison1
09-21-2009, 05:33 AM
How are you guys in basketball, anyway?

They were pretty legit last season and should be the favorite in the MVC again... nearly knocked off Purdue last season in the first round of the dance

NDSUstudent
09-24-2009, 01:25 AM

Josh Vaughn PG
Michael Tveidt SG
Freddie Coleman SF
Eric Carlson PF
Dejuan Flowers C

So what is the lineup now?

Lundberg
Vaughan/Felt
Tveidt
Carlson/Aaberg
Flowers/Nagel/Sussenguth

Go Big?
Vaughan
Tveidt
Carlson
Flowers(I really like Dejuan at the four)
Sussenguth/Nagel

I really want to keep the redshirts on Zastrow and Bruan, I think both those players would really benefit from the extra year.

Kermit
09-24-2009, 02:58 AM
So what is the lineup now?

Lundberg
Vaughan/Felt
Tveidt
Carlson/Aaberg
Flowers/Nagel/Sussenguth

Go Big?
Vaughan
Tveidt
Carlson
Flowers(I really like Dejuan at the four)
Sussenguth/Nagel

I really want to keep the redshirts on Zastrow and Bruan, I think both those players would really benefit from the extra year.

Caveat: I know nothing--but I love to talk about this stuff!

Freddy's injury will have massive repercussions throughout the lineup. I expected Coleman to be one of two reliable scorers. In addition he was expected to eat minutes at the 2/3 spot and he has the athletic ability to guard opponents' 2/3. Let's look at what the players on the roster bring to the table:

Vaughn: versatile player who had played 1, 2, and 3. I'm not totally convinced that he can guard the real quick point guards.

Zastrow: pure point guard who needs to get stronger and may not be ready to contribute.

Lundberg: Probably a combo 1/2 with a good pull-up jumper and good handles. Lacks elite athletic ability.

Pennick: Excellent athlete who could defend at the 1, 2, or even 3. Has been a real offensive liability.

Felt: a 2 with a pure shooting stroke. Like most freshmen, learning to play defense at the D-I level will be a challenge.

Tveidt: You know all about him. Could play 2,3, or 4 offensively and can guard anyone.

Braun: probably a 3 for now. Needs to get stronger. Will be tempting to play him now, but would benefit from a redshirt year. The problem is he's the kid on the roster who comes closest to some of Coleman's best attributes.

Carlson: a 4 in a size 3 body. Tough kid. Knows how to finish and get to the line. Hasn't shown an outside game. Not sure if he's quick enough to guard a good 3.

Aaberg: a long, athletic 4 with a big upside. Making a huge jump from Rothsay HS. Needs to get stronger.

Flowers: 4 or 5.Good ability to play both ends of the court in the post who was very inconsistent last year. Potentially could be "most improved."

Sussenguth. Under-rated/over-looked 4/5. Pretty good player.

Nagel: A pure 5. His aggressive, physical play will win fans, but he could be very foul prone.

So how do we assemble a lineup?

Vaughn is a given at a guard. The question is 1 or 2? That may come down to whether Lundberg or Felt can win a starting spot. If it's Lundberg at the 1, then Vaughn is the 2. If Felt is ready to start, Vaughn may be the PG. In either case, Vaughn will slide over at times. An injury to Vaughn would be disastrous.

Tveidt could play 2, but I don't think that's a realistic option now, because IMHO he is the only real option at 3. Carlson's best position is 4. If an injury to Vaughn would be disastrous, I can't find words for what an injury to Tveidt would be..

Things get interesting at the 4 and 5 spots. Flowers will start at one or the other. I'm guessing we'll probably see Carlson at the 4, Flowers at 5. Flowers at 4 with Sussenguth at 5 would be another option. Aaberg and Nagel will come off the bench and bring lots of energy.

My guess to start the season:
1. Lundberg
2. Vaughn
3. Tveidt
4. Carlson
5. Flowers

Before the season ends, I wouldn't be surprised to see:
1. Vaughn
2. Felt
3. Tveidt
4. Aaberg
5. Flowers

met1990
09-24-2009, 04:17 AM
Kermit--great insight.

I caught this on youtube today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hollx6KpcBk&feature=PlayList&p=60D210B256B8CE7F&index=27

While football is my favorite sport, I can't wait for basketball to start. Should be a fun season no matter the outcome. Hey, remember, we've never missed the NCAA basketball tournament when we're eligible. Why stop now?!

DjKyRo
09-24-2009, 05:59 AM
Kermit--great insight.

I caught this on youtube today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hollx6KpcBk&feature=PlayList&p=60D210B256B8CE7F&index=27

While football is my favorite sport, I can't wait for basketball to start. Should be a fun season no matter the outcome. Hey, remember, we've never missed the NCAA basketball tournament when we're eligible. Why stop now?!

Man, I forgot how nerve-racking that last six minutes was (really the entire second half) and how many CLUTCH plays the Bison pulled off in those 20 minutes. nice post.

ndsubison1
09-24-2009, 06:02 AM
Man, I forgot how nerve-racking that last six minutes was (really the entire second half) and how many CLUTCH plays the Bison pulled off in those 20 minutes. nice post.

i have never been more nervous than i was at that game than any other bison event... including our fball games vs. Minnesota

NDSUFan_Sav
09-24-2009, 06:35 AM
i have never been more nervous than i was at that game than any other bison event... including our fball games vs. Minnesota

those players were never nervous and it showed....they knew they were going to comeback and win that game!!!! I'm glad I was down there to celebrate with the team and everyone that made it there, such a great atmosphere!!!

X-Factor
09-24-2009, 04:45 PM
did I miss the memo that Jordan is not redshirting?

Caveat: I know nothing--but I love to talk about this stuff!

Freddy's injury will have massive repercussions throughout the lineup. I expected Coleman to be one of two reliable scorers. In addition he was expected to eat minutes at the 2/3 spot and he has the athletic ability to guard opponents' 2/3. Let's look at what the players on the roster bring to the table:

Vaughn: versatile player who had played 1, 2, and 3. I'm not totally convinced that he can guard the real quick point guards.

Zastrow: pure point guard who needs to get stronger and may not be ready to contribute.

Lundberg: Probably a combo 1/2 with a good pull-up jumper and good handles. Lacks elite athletic ability.

Pennick: Excellent athlete who could defend at the 1, 2, or even 3. Has been a real offensive liability.

Felt: a 2 with a pure shooting stroke. Like most freshmen, learning to play defense at the D-I level will be a challenge.

Tveidt: You know all about him. Could play 2,3, or 4 offensively and can guard anyone.

Braun: probably a 3 for now. Needs to get stronger. Will be tempting to play him now, but would benefit from a redshirt year. The problem is he's the kid on the roster who comes closest to some of Coleman's best attributes.

Carlson: a 4 in a size 3 body. Tough kid. Knows how to finish and get to the line. Hasn't shown an outside game. Not sure if he's quick enough to guard a good 3.

Aaberg: a long, athletic 4 with a big upside. Making a huge jump from Rothsay HS. Needs to get stronger.

Flowers: 4 or 5.Good ability to play both ends of the court in the post who was very inconsistent last year. Potentially could be "most improved."

Sussenguth. Under-rated/over-looked 4/5. Pretty good player.

Nagel: A pure 5. His aggressive, physical play will win fans, but he could be very foul prone.

So how do we assemble a lineup?

Vaughn is a given at a guard. The question is 1 or 2? That may come down to whether Lundberg or Felt can win a starting spot. If it's Lundberg at the 1, then Vaughn is the 2. If Felt is ready to start, Vaughn may be the PG. In either case, Vaughn will slide over at times. An injury to Vaughn would be disastrous.

Tveidt could play 2, but I don't think that's a realistic option now, because IMHO he is the only real option at 3. Carlson's best position is 4. If an injury to Vaughn would be disastrous, I can't find words for what an injury to Tveidt would be..

Things get interesting at the 4 and 5 spots. Flowers will start at one or the other. I'm guessing we'll probably see Carlson at the 4, Flowers at 5. Flowers at 4 with Sussenguth at 5 would be another option. Aaberg and Nagel will come off the bench and bring lots of energy.

My guess to start the season:
1. Lundberg
2. Vaughn
3. Tveidt
4. Carlson
5. Flowers

Before the season ends, I wouldn't be surprised to see:
1. Vaughn
2. Felt
3. Tveidt
4. Aaberg
5. Flowers

HandoEX
09-24-2009, 04:51 PM
those players were never nervous and it showed....they knew they were going to comeback and win that game!!!! I'm glad I was down there to celebrate with the team and everyone that made it there, such a great atmosphere!!!

One of my life's greatests regrets was not leaving the night before the storm because my wanker friends. 4 damn tickets, what a waste:banghead:

DjKyRo
09-24-2009, 04:59 PM
did I miss the memo that Jordan is not redshirting?

Yeah...we'll go ahead and get you a copy of that memo.
http://www.oval.ca/bill/images/bill2.jpg

MN_BISON
09-24-2009, 06:04 PM
From Kolpack's Twitter page: New information on the BSA renovation; today on Sports Talk from 1-2 p.m. on WDAY-AM 970.

Trim
09-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Any info on the BSA updates?

SDbison
09-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Waiting.......waiting......sound of crickets..........
Need some good news on the BSA improvements soon.......this has gone all too slow. It is embarassing that a DI university as big as NDSU has such a crappy DII / DIII type basketball arena.
It is also now obvious that a new arena won't happen for 10 or more years. :banghead:

CarringtonBison
09-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Any info on the BSA updates?

bump......

roadwarrior
09-24-2009, 10:02 PM
It is also now obvious that a new arena won't happen for 10 or more years. :banghead:

And this information comes from ?????

NDSUFan_Sav
09-24-2009, 10:21 PM
And this information comes from ?????

frustration :p

roadwarrior
09-24-2009, 11:15 PM
I thought it was SD's usual optimism. :D

NDSUFan_Sav
09-25-2009, 02:48 AM
I thought it was SD's usual optimism. :D

Road you write/sign that check yet for the new arena....i'm getting really anxious for it

at halfcourt it says (first name) "RoadWarrior" (last name) :D

SDbison
09-25-2009, 03:32 AM
Beat me to it...........the famous Road quote.......if you want to talk about how super slow the new arena or remodel is going..........write a check. Too bad because I don't believe there is a fund for that.
Would be nice to see how much private funds could be raised to get a new arena built........why does it alway have to come from one source?

DjKyRo
09-25-2009, 03:56 AM
Road you write/sign that check yet for the new arena....i'm getting really anxious for it

at halfcourt it says (first name) "RoadWarrior" (last name) :D

Don't forget the official Roadwarrior merch they'd be financially obligated to sell for stadium upkeep and other expenses. Roadwarrior t-shirts, Roadwarrior hat, etc.

NDSUstudent
09-25-2009, 03:57 AM
Gotta agree SD, if NDSU actually took the time to have an arena fund drive, even the poor college student that I am would cut a check.

As of now there is no direction, no momentum, just a complete waste of what was the best basketball team that this school has ever had.

Oh well, I heard on WDAY we have $8 million in the bank for the BSA renovation, just 16 million more to go.

NDSUFan_Sav
09-25-2009, 04:00 AM
Oh well, I heard on WDAY we have $8 million in the bank for the BSA renovation, just 16 million more to go.

http://www.techspot.com/gallery/data/504/o_rly_by_granty2_original.jpg

NDSUstudent
09-25-2009, 04:13 AM
And Kolpack and the other writers on the WDAY sports show thought if the economy hadn't tanked we would be breaking ground on a new arena right now. So NDSU must have been close, but the whole thing continues to leave a bitter taste in my mouth. NDSU basketball facilities are a complete disgrace, good thing we have good coaches and fans to help compensate.

NDSUFan_Sav
09-25-2009, 04:21 AM
And Kolpack and the other writers on the WDAY sports show thought if the economy hadn't tanked we would be breaking ground on a new arena right now. So NDSU must have been close, but the whole thing continues to leave a bitter taste in my mouth. NDSU basketball facilities are a complete disgrace, good thing we have good coaches and fans to help compensate.

yeah i really don't know why we haven't used multiple donations, what was it 34 million we needed just for the new arena?

NDSUstudent
09-25-2009, 04:27 AM
yeah i really don't know why we haven't used multiple donations, what was it 34 million we needed just for the new arena?

$15 million since the dome had the funds and was willing to pick up the other half of the tab.

For the record the new BSA will be very nice, especially for a student athletes, and it will give the basketball program their own practice facility. I can't say enough how weird it is to go to the BSA and there the track, football, and basketball teams are all practicing/working out at the same time.

NDSUFan_Sav
09-25-2009, 04:31 AM
you'd think if we had a multiple donations we'd be able to get 15 million

NDSUstudent
09-25-2009, 04:39 AM

No doubt about it, I think we would be very close to a new arena by now.

roadwarrior
09-25-2009, 08:38 AM

Multiple donations are welcome, in fact they are required for this project to get done. The problem is that the total of those multiple donations is still far short of what is needed to get started. My check certainly wasn't enough to push it over the top! This project will be the most expensive construction project ever by NDSU, and what we need are those people and/or companies with enough money to make it happen to open their checkbooks.

SDbison
09-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Multiple donations are welcome, in fact they are required for this project to get done. The problem is that the total of those multiple donations is still far short of what is needed to get started. My check certainly wasn't enough to push it over the top! This project will be the most expensive construction project ever by NDSU, and what we need are those people and/or companies with enough money to make it happen to open their checkbooks.
Hate the disagree, well I don't hate to, but I never saw the fund raiser info or where to donate for a new Bison Basketball Arena (just this project). Heck, if it doesn't raise enough cash then use my money to put cherrywood doors on one of the lockers in the BSA. All I am saying is if you don't ever try how do you know? Sure, maybe they only get to 5.7 Million in small donations, but maybe that motovates 3 or 4 bigger donors to put up the big bucks.

NorthernBison
09-25-2009, 08:11 PM

I have a concern that the likelihood of the costs decreasing in the future is minimal. So, the estimate was that NDSU needed to raise $15 million a year ago. Will that rise to $17-$20 million in a couple years?

I'm hoping the people coming up with these numbers weren't involved in the President's house. That would mean the new arena might cost nearly as much as the AIG bailout when it finally happens.

SDbison
09-25-2009, 09:58 PM
http://www.techspot.com/gallery/data/504/o_rly_by_granty2_original.jpg
Equal Time: Put up a picture of Obama saying that National Health Insurance won't require new taxes.

met1990
09-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Equal Time: Put up a picture of Obama saying that National Health Insurance won't require new taxes.

Maybe if you throw a pretty please in there he'll do it...

Gully
09-26-2009, 01:47 AM

Can't do that, you might get put on a list at the White House. Ooops, I just posted this on the internet....I'm screwed!

UTH
09-26-2009, 02:12 AM
Can't do that, you might get put on a list at the White House. Ooops, I just posted this on the internet....I'm screwed!

I'm still wondering how that pic is relevant to 'hoops'. And why it's been left alone for such a long time.*

*anyone who's gunning for a political flamewar needs to stop on over at fark. and bring it. you're in for some good, clean fun.;)

TheDoctor
09-26-2009, 05:27 PM
We have the team, we have a conference championship, it is so disapointing that we can't get the arena. I give all the credit in the world to the coaches for selling these kids so hard on the program that they can somehow over look the arena. ;)

DjKyRo
09-27-2009, 02:20 AM
*Checks out the football score*

...is it time for hoops yet?

ndsubison1
10-03-2009, 09:27 PM
zastrow and aaberg were playing at the wellness yesterday, both are gamers! zastrow has unlimited range and aaberg is a finesse post player, who can also handle the rock and occasionally hit the 3

TheBisonator
10-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Our new guys I think are gonna be really good. It'll be fun seeing what these guys can do this year. I hear we have a much taller team than years past.

Now I'm locked onto volleyball and basketball. Football is over for me.

unbison
10-03-2009, 10:02 PM
zastrow and aaberg were playing at the wellness yesterday, both are gamers! zastrow has unlimited range and aaberg is a finesse post player, who can also handle the rock and occasionally hit the 3

if he is shooting threes in games i will puke!

OrygunBison
10-04-2009, 04:41 AM
I'm hoping for big things outta this team since I already paid for the GoBison.com all access thingy for the next 6 months and I'm not really getting my money's worth just yet. Go Bison BB.

DjKyRo
10-05-2009, 04:57 AM
If my copy of NCAA Basketball '09 is any indication, Josh Vaughan is going to be a major contributor to the team with 29.4 ppg and 7.0 rpg on the way to a Bison National Championship.

....what?

ndsubison1
10-05-2009, 05:30 AM
If my copy of NCAA Basketball '09 is any indication, Josh Vaughan is going to be a major contributor to the team with 29.4 ppg and 7.0 rpg on the way to a Bison National Championship.

....what?

lol... in ncaa '08 i took ndsu to back to back final fours... losing to memphis and kansas... freddy coleman was the mvp of the final four :hide:

ndsubison1
10-05-2009, 06:31 AM

i take that back it was braun and not aaberg

DjKyRo
10-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Random, yes, but according to Jeff Sagarin's all-time Division I basketball list, NDSU ranks number 266 out of 330. Not bad for our first year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4531910

TheBisonator
10-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Random, yes, but according to Jeff Sagarin's all-time Division I basketball list, NDSU ranks number 266 out of 330. Not bad for our first year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4531910

SDSU ahead of us at #226?? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot??

Kemo
10-06-2009, 04:45 AM
SDSU ahead of us at #226?? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot??

Looks like they are factoring in the DII years, which SDSU was traditionally pretty good until the recent move up. I find it interesting the role reversal of the xDSU's in concerns with football and basketball when the move up was made.

ndsubison1
10-16-2009, 01:44 AM
new team photo up on gobison...

fact: we're still the whitest team in the country

http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&SPID=697&SPSID=11901

bison_05
10-16-2009, 02:16 AM

http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&SPID=697&SPSID=11901

Man, its weird not seeing Woodside, Nelson, and Winkelman on the team.

BlueBisonRock
10-16-2009, 03:59 AM

Not that there is anything wrong with that. :D

DjKyRo
10-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Hoops season starts in 6 hours!

North Side
10-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Lets Go Bison! CLAP, CLAP, CLAP CLAP CLAP

HandoEX
10-17-2009, 06:01 AM
I was very, very impressed with Felt tonight. OMG, he has about the nicest long distance shot I could imagine. Very excited to see this kid do some damage. Zastrow played well I thought. Lundberg didn't look too sharp out there, IMO. Forced a few drives and didn't sprint back after the ball got stolen. Not a huge deal, but still. Braun, Nagle, and Aaberg looked ok. Wish we could have seen more of them...like a 32 minute scrimmage instead of an 8 minute one. Oh well, the season isn't too far off so hopefully we'll get to see plenty more from Nagle and Aaberg, and Braun will get a season to redshirt.

DjKyRo
10-17-2009, 06:14 AM
I was very, very impressed with Felt tonight. OMG, he has about the nicest long distance shot I could imagine. Very excited to see this kid do some damage. Zastrow played well I thought. Lundberg didn't look too sharp out there, IMO. Forced a few drives and didn't sprint back after the ball got stolen. Not a huge deal, but still. Braun, Nagle, and Aaberg looked ok. Wish we could have seen more of them...like a 32 minute scrimmage instead of an 8 minute one. Oh well, the season isn't too far off so hopefully we'll get to see plenty more from Nagle and Aaberg, and Braun will get a season to redshirt.

I thought Aaberg was a dominator out there! I saw him absolutely stuff the sh1t out of (I think it was AP driving the lane?), made a lot of nice rebounds and really fought for the ball. I am STOKED for this kid to see the court.

TheDoctor
10-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Wish we could have seen more of them...like a 32 minute scrimmage instead of an 8 minute one.

I am sorry, I can't agree. They are told to take it easy and have fun. Therefore, it is obvious that with 1-2 minutes to go, things were getting sloppy. Turnovers left and right, threes from half court, etc. 8 minutes was perfect for the level they were willing to play. ;)

HandoEX
10-17-2009, 03:58 PM
I am sorry, I can't agree. They are told to take it easy and have fun. Therefore, it is obvious that with 1-2 minutes to go, things were getting sloppy. Turnovers left and right, threes from half court, etc. 8 minutes was perfect for the level they were willing to play. ;)

Call me selfish, I need more of a fix:)

TheDoctor
10-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Call me selfish, I need more of a fix:)

I can't blame you there :D! Especially with the exciting football season we are having! ;)

DjKyRo
10-18-2009, 06:35 AM
Thank god basketball starts in two weeks....I don't think I can take any more of football's mediocrity.

TheDoctor
10-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Thank god basketball starts in two weeks....I don't think I can take any more of football's mediocrity.

:rofl: :rofl: ;)

IzzyFlexion
10-18-2009, 03:16 PM

Oh, well then..... you're in luck.
I believe technically a team needs to be able to at least sniff .500 in order to be classified as "mediocre".:(

Kermit
10-18-2009, 10:29 PM
I was very, very impressed with Felt tonight. OMG, he has about the nicest long distance shot I could imagine..

I agree on Felt. Hard to tell much from this scrimmage,but that stroke is pure.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-25-2009, 11:38 PM
ok ok ok November 4th can't come soon enough!!!!!!!

This team could surprise some people this year, if they happen to make a big run at all it wouldn't surprise me. Aaberg's defense will help us tremendously, Felts shooting could be what we need this year along with Vaughan and Tveidt being our top scorers. Goose, Flowers and Aaberg and Nagel could give us some decent presence down low. I haven't seen much from Nagel yet, but I know he's a tough player and could help get us some boards.

Freddy will be missed this season as being our PG, hopefully he comes back strong next year and we need to recruit a solid true PG for next year and hopefully get a nice defense player like Nelson.

HandoEX
10-25-2009, 11:43 PM
ok ok ok November 4th can't come soon enough!!!!!!!

This team could surprise some people this year, if they happen to make a big run at all it wouldn't surprise me. Aaberg's defense will help us tremendously, Felts shooting could be what we need this year along with Vaughan and Tveidt being our top scorers. Goose, Flowers and Aaberg and Nagel could give us some decent presence down low. I haven't seen much from Nagel yet, but I know he's a tough player and could help get us some boards.

Freddy will be missed this season as being our PG, hopefully he comes back strong next year and we need to recruit a solid true PG for next year and hopefully get a nice defense player like Nelson.

I think Freddy is more of a 3 than a 2, much less a 1. I don't think he would have played any minutes at the point, but I could be wrong.

The biggest key in my eyes is the play of Lundberg at the point. He needs to play lots of solid minutes at both ends. Hopefully he does!

NDSUFan_Sav
10-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Also, AP has seemed to step up and still has his defense. Another person I missed is Carlson he has a nice jump shot as well he could add some scoring as well and Flowers has added a 15 ft jump shot that we haven't seen out of him before, hopefully he can keep it up.

By looking at our options it seems like we got some nice options on our team. If Felt develops into a pure shooter/scorer Woody might have to keep an eye on his all time scoring record ;) ok that's a huge stretch, but just saying this guy can shoot!!!

NDSUFan_Sav
10-25-2009, 11:46 PM
I think Freddy is more of a 3 than a 2, much less a 1. I don't think he would have played any minutes at the point, but I could be wrong.

The biggest key in my eyes is the play of Lundberg at the point. He needs to play lots of solid minutes at both ends. Hopefully he does!

He hasn't shown much promise in my eyes yet, hopefully things change, we need a solid/true PG and not sure who's going to be able to play that role this year.

DjKyRo
10-26-2009, 12:28 AM
He hasn't shown much promise in my eyes yet, hopefully things change, we need a solid/true PG and not sure who's going to be able to play that role this year.

I think with the addition of Trayvonn Wright and maybe another big wing like him, Braun stands a good chance at becoming our next big 1. He's got the perimeter and driving games necessary and has the added bonus of some crazy height for the position - maybe not as fast or ballin' as Woody but with the height and defensive presence he could be a bigtime playmaker in the next few seasons.

lakesbison
10-26-2009, 12:30 AM
UNBISON. you get tickets yet for moorhead st game? hehe

TheDoctor
10-26-2009, 12:43 AM

Drew didn't have a great practice while you were there on Saturday or a great Midnight Madness showing, I agree. BUT, the coaches said he had an awsome practice on Friday. The one thing I am a bit worried about is the elbow Drew took to the nose and the fact that it was still bleeding after 15 minutes when I left. He broke it already this summer, so heres hoping it's not broke again. I will also give credit where credit is due.....if AP can play in games the way he was playing in the scrimmage on Saturday, he will provide some much needed minutes for JV off the bench this year. I am excited for the 4th as well. These are a great bunch of kids who know how to win. Bring on the hoops! ;)

P.S.- Freddys cast comes off on Wednesday and he is looking forward to starting some rehab.

ndsubison1
10-26-2009, 03:38 AM

agreed, we need a true point and right now we dont have one. would be nice for lundberg to emerge!

ndsubison1
10-26-2009, 03:40 AM
Also, AP has seemed to step up and still has his defense. Another person I missed is Carlson he has a nice jump shot as well he could add some scoring as well and Flowers has added a 15 ft jump shot that we haven't seen out of him before, hopefully he can keep it up.

By looking at our options it seems like we got some nice options on our team. If Felt develops into a pure shooter/scorer Woody might have to keep an eye on his all time scoring record ;) ok that's a huge stretch, but just saying this guy can shoot!!!

question is will Pennick get more minutes so Zastrow redshirts? Or will Zastrow play and Pennick will not receive more PT? I think it has to be one or the other

NDSUFan_Sav
10-26-2009, 06:30 AM
question is will Pennick get more minutes so Zastrow redshirts? Or will Zastrow play and Pennick will not receive more PT? I think it has to be one or the other

I think they'll be redshirting zastrow and I believe what B1son said, if AP can play like he did in scrimmage he'll be coming off the bench....hopefully we can use the bench this year and get players minutes and keep everyone fresh...I can see Lundberg being an alright player this year, I don't see him being consistent though and we'll need consistency.

Starting 5:

PG - Vaughan
SG - Felt
SF - Tveidt
PF - Carlson
C - Flowers

DjKyRo
10-26-2009, 06:32 AM

Based on his size I'd say he almost has to redshirt which means AP is going to have to step up, and by all accounts he has/can. Zastrow is listed at 6' but I think that might be just a slight fudge on gobison.com....he looksed a lot closer to 5-10 or so to me. He's going to be used to going up against guys his own size, and that extra year will really help his abilities on defense. I say slap a shirt on Zastrow and let AP have a breakout senior year. :nod:

NDSUFan_Sav
10-26-2009, 06:39 AM
Based on his size I'd say he almost has to redshirt which means AP is going to have to step up, and by all accounts he has/can. Zastrow is listed at 6' but I think that might be just a slight fudge on gobison.com....he looksed a lot closer to 5-10 or so to me. He's going to be used to going up against guys his own size, and that extra year will really help his abilities on defense. I say slap a shirt on Zastrow and let AP have a breakout senior year. :nod:

I think Zastrow and Braun will be redshirting and Felt and Aaberg will be playing, it would be nice to get Aaberg to redshirt and get him bigger, but he's going to help us tremendously on defense, also saw some nice post moves from him. I've been a fan of Nagel, but lately I haven't seen much from him hopefully he can step it up once game time is here.

November 4th is right around the corner and that day we'll be able to see all of the players get a chance out there even the redshirts can play, will be nice to see them for a whole game.

DjKyRo
10-26-2009, 06:42 AM
I think Zastrow and Braun will be redshirting and Felt and Aaberg will be playing, it would be nice to get Aaberg to redshirt and get him bigger, but he's going to help us tremendously on defense, also saw some nice post moves from him. I've been a fan of Nagel, but lately I haven't seen much from him hopefully he can step it up once game time is here.

November 4th is right around the corner and that day we'll be able to see all of the players get a chance out there even the redshirts can play, will be nice to see them for a whole game.

I thought I had heard Braun was playing right away, but I like the idea of him redshirting. With his skill set and size he's going to be a viable player at just about any position 1-4 (though maybe not 2 or 4 necessarily) and he'd likely be sitting as Lundberg, Vaughan, Felt and Pennick ate up minutes at the 1 and 2. He's got a year to perfect that 3-ball and turn into the enforcer.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-26-2009, 06:47 AM
I thought I had heard Braun was playing right away, but I like the idea of him redshirting. With his skill set and size he's going to be a viable player at just about any position 1-4 (though maybe not 2 or 4 necessarily) and he'd likely be sitting as Lundberg, Vaughan, Felt and Pennick ate up minutes at the 1 and 2. He's got a year to perfect that 3-ball and turn into the enforcer.

Burgundy???

As far as I know he'll be redshirting and I think he'll play the 2 and 3 well, if you can get some weight on him like winks he could play 2-4 well, Braun is a gamer imo. The freshmen class is quite the class and 2010's will be just as good if not better.

We might only get 4-6th in the conf this year it all depends on how the guys play and hopefully they grow as a group throughout the year and make a late run. I wouldn't be shocked if you saw NDSU at #2 going into the tourney, but I would be shocked to see us #1 no offense to the team, but Oakland is going to be insane this year and very tough team to beat.