PDA

View Full Version : Fargo 15th Best College Town.

SDbison
09-08-2009, 08:03 PM
This appeared in the Fargo Forum today......makes you wonder how far down the list Brookings and Vermillion are.....bottom ten candidates?

FARGO – Fargo ranks No. 15 among cities under 250,000 people as a best college town, according to a survey released today.
The report by the American Institute for Economic Research ranks cities based on factors such as student concentration, cost of living, unemployment rate and research capacity.
Ithaca, N.Y., ranked No. 1 in that category.
Midwestern cities that ranked above Fargo include Ames, Iowa (No. 3), Iowa City (No. 5) and Lawrence, Kan. (No. 14).
Minneapolis-St. Paul ranked No. 9 among major metropolitan areas.

mebisonII
09-08-2009, 08:20 PM
This appeared in the Fargo Forum today......makes you wonder how far down the list Brookings and Vermillion are.....bottom ten candidates?

FARGO – Fargo ranks No. 15 among cities under 250,000 people as a best college town, according to a survey released today.
The report by the American Institute for Economic Research ranks cities based on factors such as student concentration, cost of living, unemployment rate and research capacity.
Ithaca, N.Y., ranked No. 1 in that category.
Midwestern cities that ranked above Fargo include Ames, Iowa (No. 3), Iowa City (No. 5) and Lawrence, Kan. (No. 14).
Minneapolis-St. Paul ranked No. 9 among major metropolitan areas.

Always fun to see your name on such surveys but they are worth about as much as the paper they are written on. I'm sure Brookings and Vermillion are listed up there on some list somewhere.

Tatanka
09-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Always fun to see your name on such surveys but they are worth about as much as the paper they are written on. I'm sure Brookings and Vermillion are listed up there on some list somewhere.

Must....resist....coming up with suitable lists.......

SDbison
09-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Must....resist....coming up with suitable lists.......
Lets see them.........

G-city Bison Fan
09-09-2009, 02:35 PM
I will tell ya right now something about this list is off. The fact that Ames is ahead of Iowa City is completely backwards in my opinion.

Bison Dan
09-09-2009, 03:05 PM
I will tell ya right now something about this list is off. The fact that Ames is ahead of Iowa City is completely backwards in my opinion.

I didn't talk to anyone (Iowa people) that thought much about Ames.

mebisonII
09-09-2009, 03:10 PM

I was a little surprised about that as well. Recognizing my biases, of course.

(nice to meet you last weekend, by the way)

Herd Mentality
09-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Color me IMPRESSED about the free transit options for students in Ames. If we had anything like that I bet Fargo would be ranked higher.

bisonhusker
09-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Ames was a dog and pony show at best. One cab? The Bison fans needed about 25 cabs alone on Wednesday night....and one guy in town has a cab. Awesome.

mebisonII
09-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Ames was a dog and pony show at best. One cab? The Bison fans needed about 25 cabs alone on Wednesday night....and one guy in town has a cab. Awesome.

From the sounds of it, there are no cabs because everyone rides the buses. I assume that means Cyride runs past bar closing hours?

Edit: Dial-a-bus service until 3 am. http://www.cyride.com/routes/Fall/moonlight_express.html

Herd Mentality
09-09-2009, 09:23 PM
From the sounds of it, there are no cabs because everyone rides the buses. I assume that means Cyride runs past bar closing hours?

Edit: Dial-a-bus service until 3 am. http://www.cyride.com/routes/Fall/moonlight_express.html

precisely... no cab company could make it when you offer that kind of service. impressive

MNLonghorn10
09-09-2009, 10:37 PM
one thing i like about classic college towns like ames, is that everythings right on the campus or right there. the bar scene, dorms, stadium etc.

in fargo its the turf, labbys and few other places. downtown is no hop skip and a jump away and the hub(which sucks) is totally on the other side of town.

i'll probably venture to downtown cause of the college crowd will likely be there more than other places, but it's not by campus, which sucks.

tjbison
09-09-2009, 11:32 PM
one thing i like about classic college towns like ames, is that everythings right on the campus or right there. the bar scene, dorms, stadium etc.

in fargo its the turf, labbys and few other places. downtown is no hop skip and a jump away and the hub(which sucks) is totally on the other side of town.

i'll probably venture to downtown cause of the college crowd will likely be there more than other places, but it's not by campus, which sucks.

well its now actually ON CAMPUS!!:p

MNLonghorn10
09-09-2009, 11:42 PM
psh downtown ndsu, aint that a bunch of art geeks?

G-city Bison Fan
09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
I was a little surprised about that as well. Recognizing my biases, of course.

(nice to meet you last weekend, by the way)

No question man, next time you head north to Fargo you will have to look up the Green Monster tailgating crew.

TheBisonator
09-10-2009, 06:17 PM
psh downtown ndsu, aint that a bunch of art geeks?

HEY!

(shut up.)

:p