PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout a players comments thread??

bisoneer
09-08-2009, 05:07 PM
I suppose it is taboo but while we are sitting on our butts and criticizing certain aspects of the program, I wonder what the players are thinking about our jabs. Do any of the players ever post anything?

TheBisonator
09-08-2009, 05:09 PM
I've known of players lurking on this board, in fact a lot of them have lurked on here in the past. I really don't know of any players who are registered or post. Perhaps it may even be a team rule that players cannot participate in internet discussions. I was a student manager, so I was most likely exempt from that rule, if it did exist.

bisoneer
09-08-2009, 05:12 PM
It would be nice to hear their perspective if they can stay incognito.

aces1180
09-08-2009, 05:16 PM
It would be nice to hear their perspective if they can stay incognito.

I think they would be best to abstain from posting and spend their time watching game film and studying the playbook.

They shouldn't let a bunch of Sunday Morning Quarterbacks influence their job on the field.

NDSUstudent
09-08-2009, 05:17 PM
A few players have posted here after their final game but doing so during the season is probably very much frowned upon and for good reason.

tjbison
09-08-2009, 05:19 PM
If any of the current players are reading this right now!

GET TO WORK!!!!

bisontwice
09-08-2009, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't hang out here as a player. The only comments that should matter to them are the ones from the coaches and their teammates.

WYOBISONMAN
09-08-2009, 05:26 PM
The last thing a player needs to get involved in is a discussion with a bunch of (in my case old) alumni that are arm chairing things. We are fans and as such have every right to arm chair, potificate, what if, and second guess. Players and coaches have a different role that really needs to ignore what we do and think. Bohl and company are in charge.......and while I will arm chair with the best of them........I am glad to have Bohl and company making the decisions that count!

ndsubison1
09-08-2009, 06:11 PM
not sure if any post, but i know for a fact that some read this site

56BISON73
09-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I've known of players lurking on this board, in fact a lot of them have lurked on here in the past. I really don't know of any players who are registered or post. Perhaps it may even be a team rule that players cannot participate in internet discussions. I was a student manager, so I was most likely exempt from that rule, if it did exist.

Many organizations have rules against anyone who may have knowledge of players, injuries etc from posting on a public message board. It might also be against NCAA rules that certain information not be posted. You would be surprised what may violate the NCAAs disclosure rules.

MHDBisonfan
09-08-2009, 06:19 PM
The last thing a player needs to get involved in is a discussion with a bunch of (in my case old) alumni that are arm chairing things. We are fans and as such have every right to arm chair, potificate, what if, and second guess. Players and coaches have a different role that really needs to ignore what we do and think. Bohl and company are in charge.......and while I will arm chair with the best of them........I am glad to have Bohl and company making the decisions that count!

^^what he said!^^

players need to listen to their coaches...period. the coaches/players are the only ones who know what specifically they need to be doing. Us saying they should be doing this or that or why didn't they do this...we have no idea what the overall plan is, and to have players come here and try and justify things to us would be a giant distraction/waste of time. Let's just cheer them when they make good plays and support the Bison as much as we can.

That being said, even though my football knowledge is severely limited, I still armchair with the best of them!! ;)

BadlandsBison
09-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Last spring a player told me they can't post or even be a member of forums like this (he specifically was talking about bisonville), until they graduate of course. Whether it is an NCAA rule or just a Bohl rule I don't know. But they can read the forums all day if they want to. Probably a good idea they don't get involved in discussion though.

*Seems a little unconstitutional, doesn't it?;)

TheBisonator
09-08-2009, 08:49 PM

Many organizations have rules against anyone who may have knowledge of players, injuries etc from posting on a public message board. It might also be against NCAA rules that certain information not be posted. You would be surprised what may violate the NCAAs disclosure rules.

Actually, I had a talk with Coach Bohl some years ago when I was on the staff about me being on BV, and he basically told me I could post on here, but I couldn't divulge any secret injury information, play info, etc. I abided by those rules the whole time.

Bisonfan1
09-08-2009, 09:36 PM
I bet some of these players that read all our garbage on here would like to come through the screen and rip our heads off at times. ( I most certainly would )

56BISON73
09-08-2009, 10:07 PM
[quote=56BISON73;300926]

Actually, I had a talk with Coach Bohl some years ago when I was on the staff about me being on BV, and he basically told me I could post on here, but I couldn't divulge any secret injury information, play info, etc. I abided by those rules the whole time.

I will bet those rules have changed since then. There are NCAA compliance issues that one must worry about. Something that you might think isnt a problem could be a no-no. So its just best to not post at all.

Trampled
09-08-2009, 11:24 PM
I bet some of these players that read all our garbage on here would like to come through the screen and rip our heads off at times. ( I most certainly would )

More parents would like to come through the screen than you realize! I really don't realize why so many of you on this board are teammakers and then rip the players like you do. Nothing good comes from it!!! I also know that this is the minority of Teammakers that participate in this forum. Its very hippocritical. And don't say the parents should not be on the board. They are just as starved for information as other fans. The kids are coached well not to be on here but also not to say too much in the public. This is how it should be. But why do so many want to allienate the parents, their friends and accuaintances who all are supporters of the Bison because their families or friends are in the program. It can leave a real bad taste in their mouth after the kid is done with the program. I personally know of a family that went back to being a Sioux fan after his family friend was finished with the Bison. Please.....keep the comments civil.

rutlandbison
09-09-2009, 12:43 AM
More parents would like to come through the screen than you realize! I really don't realize why so many of you on this board are teammakers and then rip the players like you do. Nothing good comes from it!!! I also know that this is the minority of Teammakers that participate in this forum. Its very hippocritical. And don't say the parents should not be on the board. They are just as starved for information as other fans. The kids are coached well not to be on here but also not to say too much in the public. This is how it should be. But why do so many want to allienate the parents, their friends and accuaintances who all are supporters of the Bison because their families or friends are in the program. It can leave a real bad taste in their mouth after the kid is done with the program. I personally know of a family that went back to being a Sioux fan after his family friend was finished with the Bison. Please.....keep the comments civil.
It's an internet forum. They don't have to read it. It is a place to discuss and speak our minds.

WYOBISONMAN
09-09-2009, 12:47 AM
It's an internet forum. They don't have to read it. It is a place to discuss and speak our minds.

But......it surely can be done in a civil manner that respects the difference in opinions amongst the fan base.

NDSU1980
09-09-2009, 12:58 AM
More parents would like to come through the screen than you realize!

Well, we know Mertens mother was haunting these boards last year, since Nick made it known to McFeely that she was upset by it. I agree with Rutlandbison, if they don't want to know the truth about how we feel, maybe they should avoid the place. I honestly think parents tend to have a very jaded view of things, so anything will provoke them.

Trampled
09-09-2009, 12:59 AM

It can be. But if you are truly wanting the Bison to be successful, then why would anyone bash the very players who are giving more than anyone else. Don't give that rediculous argument that they are on scholarship and thus getting paid. It amounts to about a buck an hour. Everyone will get the point if you state your feelings with tact. Who knows, we might even pick up some fans for long term.

lakesbison
09-09-2009, 01:03 AM
well.. i know about 20-25 former ndsu players PRETTY well. and none have them to threatened to kill me, (I dont really rip on players though)

they check it out for sure, and they usually post after they are done.

parents need thick skin in my opinion, it comes with the territory

Trampled
09-09-2009, 02:01 AM
well.. i know about 20-25 former ndsu players PRETTY well. and none have them to threatened to kill me, (I dont really rip on players though)

they check it out for sure, and they usually post after they are done.

parents need thick skin in my opinion, it comes with the territory

Trust me, I knew several that would have rattled you pretty good under the right conditions. You werent the only one however. My point is WHY rip these players. Rip the coaches for playing them if you don't think they are good enough. Obviously they are the best in the coaches opinions or they wouldn't be playing! They have proven it in practice for a long time before they get on the field.

WYOBISONMAN
09-09-2009, 02:07 AM
Trust me, I knew several that would have rattled you pretty good under the right conditions. You werent the only one however. My point is WHY rip these players. Rip the coaches for playing them if you don't think they are good enough. Obviously they are the best in the coaches opinions or they wouldn't be playing! They have proven it in practice for a long time before they get on the field.

But......we are fans......most of us have a much longer affiliation with NDSU than players or parents.......and most of us have tremendous loyalty to our school. We all have opinions, thoughts and hopes....and this is the forum where they will be expressed.

Trampled
09-09-2009, 02:12 AM
But......we are fans......most of us have a much longer affiliation with NDSU than players or parents.......and most of us have tremendous loyalty to our school. We all have opinions, thoughts and hopes....and this is the forum where they will be expressed.

And that is why you have the most to lose of anyone. You are a long term fan and should want to do anything possible to bring in more fans. A long term fan has to start somewhere. If they are alienated right away, they will never be a long term fan.

tjbison
09-09-2009, 02:16 AM
And that is why you have the most to lose of anyone. You are a long term fan and should want to do anything possible to bring in more fans. A long term fan has to start somewhere. If they are alienated right away, they will never be a long term fan.

so you are saying there are people who stop supporting NDSU because of this board??????:confused:

unbison
09-09-2009, 02:22 AM
I quit cheering for them in womens water polo becuz of this board.... but i am in for all other sports except one football game in 2011 and prolly a bball game that year where i cheer for a good game...... one schools hat......the other schools shirt

NDSUFan_Sav
09-09-2009, 02:29 AM
I quit cheering for them in womens water polo becuz of this board.... but i am in for all other sports except one football game in 2011 and prolly a bball game that year where i cheer for a good game...... one schools hat......the other schools shirt

much respect man, much respect!!!! so you're in a win/win situation????

lets say this game in 2011 the FB team needs the win to make the playoffs but they play that other team, who do you go for then, cuz if the bison lose they miss the playoffs??? had to throw this at you :D

BisonNolesFan77
09-09-2009, 03:09 AM

It kind of comes with the territory, when you put on the uniform for any major college athletic program, you are opening yourself up for the criticism, good or bad, that comes from fans, boosters, and so on. Does it make it right, probably not, but it comes with the territory.

unbison
09-09-2009, 03:23 AM
It kind of comes with the territory, when you put on the uniform for any major college athletic program, you are opening yourself up for the criticism, good or bad, that comes from fans, boosters, and so on. Does it make it right, probably not, but it comes with the territory.
truth!!!!!

ndsubison1
09-09-2009, 04:16 AM

yeah i agree, kai williams mom should be on sdsu's board, it's the only reason i ever go there

ndsubison1
09-09-2009, 04:18 AM
It can be. But if you are truly wanting the Bison to be successful, then why would anyone bash the very players who are giving more than anyone else. Don't give that rediculous argument that they are on scholarship and thus getting paid. It amounts to about a buck an hour. Everyone will get the point if you state your feelings with tact. Who knows, we might even pick up some fans for long term.

most of these players are on schollys so some of the criticisms are warranted... if they really care or hold any griveances for what random people say on an INTERNET message board then maybe they shouldn't be playing college football... maybe some of the comments are over the top, but for the most part, people really shouldnt get too worked up about it

RunDMc34
09-09-2009, 04:20 AM
So basically what some of you are saying is we should go after the coach cuz hes a man! hes 40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkKch-CAlgM

Seriously if a parent cant handle what's said about their kid on this board one of two things need to happen
1. son or daughter should play better
2. parent should toughen up

RunDMc34
09-09-2009, 04:22 AM
yeah i agree, kai williams mom should be on sdsu's board, it's the only reason i ever go there

She is quite entertaining and thinks kai is quite the player... of course hes canadian so hes only 92% as good as any american player.

lakesbison
09-09-2009, 04:39 AM
kai's mom LOVES lakesbison.

rundmc. should I like your sig line??

Trampled
09-09-2009, 01:03 PM
so you are saying there are people who stop supporting NDSU because of this board??????:confused:

yes yes yes

mebisonII
09-09-2009, 01:12 PM
I agree that discussions can and should be civil and respectful, even on an internet message board, but in reality, I think they usually are on here. Most criticism is pointed toward player's actions on the field. Very little criticism is personal...Tony and the Angry Elf usually nip that in the bud pretty quickly.

rutlandbison
09-09-2009, 01:18 PM
I think most of the discussion is civil here. Sometimes people take it a little to far (myself included). But for the most part I think we just don't sit there and bash people.

rutlandbison
09-09-2009, 01:18 PM
yes yes yes
Really?? wow.

OrygunBison
09-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Good lord. I knew I shouldn't have opened up this thread...

Ferd
09-09-2009, 02:37 PM
I wonder how different the messages would be if we all had to use our real names.?

Myself, I believe I try to post things in a manner that I would not be ashamed to sign with my real name.

But that's just me...

stevdock
09-09-2009, 02:53 PM
I think most of the discussion is civil here. Sometimes people take it a little to far (myself included). But for the most part I think we just don't sit there and bash people.

You're right, I can't think of a current QB who has been bashed at all on here, EVER :hide:

mebisonII
09-09-2009, 03:08 PM
You're right, I can't think of a current QB who has been bashed at all on here, EVER :hide:

Yeah, and maybe its gotten a little carried away, but have you seen many comments directed at him as a person? I can't think of much of anyone implying anything other than that they don't like his play on the field. And if you can't say whether you do or don't like what's happening on the field, what's the point of watching sports?

SDbison
09-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Yeah, and maybe its gotten a little carried away, but have you seen many comments directed at him as a person? I can't think of much of anyone implying anything other than that they don't like his play on the field. And if you can't say whether you do or don't like what's happening on the field, what's the point of watching sports?
Exactly.......guess we need to go back to Leave it to Beaver days......"gosh gee golly thought that player didn't do so darn well, but sheesh he sure did try hard. Maybe better luck next time. Gosh sure hope coach thinks about it and maybe someone else might have a chance. Best we sleep on it and see what happens."......yeah that would be great dialogue for Bisonville.

Trampled
09-09-2009, 03:25 PM
I wonder how different the messages would be if we all had to use our real names.?

Myself, I believe I try to post things in a manner that I would not be ashamed to sign with my real name.

But that's just me...

People need to realize there are consequences to what is said on this board. This board is marketed through the gobison.com website and the Bison Illustrated magazine. I think it is in the Bison families best interest to realize that there are consequences that are definitely contrary to the Teammakers goals and intentions. Back to my original post...I know that alot of what is said on this board is not helping build the Bison program and alot of it comes from people that consider themselves "super" fans. Yes, it is a public forum and yes you can say what you want to, but WHY do so many "super" fans want to be so rude to the players. Great way to say" thanks for your efforts guys "on behalf of the Bison Family!! Totally hypocritical! Trash me at will.

aces1180
09-09-2009, 03:29 PM
People need to realize there are consequences to what is said on this board. This board is marketed through the gobison.com website and the Bison Illustrated magazine. I think it is in the Bison families best interest to realize that there are consequences that are definitely contrary to the Teammakers goals and intentions. Back to my original post...I know that alot of what is said on this board is not helping build the Bison program and alot of it comes from people that consider themselves "super" fans. Yes, it is a public forum and yes you can say what you want to, but WHY do so many "super" fans want to be so rude to the players. Great way to say" thanks for your efforts guys "on behalf of the Bison Family!! Totally hypocritical! Trash me at will.

From GoBison.com? Can you provide a link?

Also, the only time is has been in the magazine was when an article was done about the site...Can you provide me with any links or articles which feature the link other than that feature story?

WYOBISONMAN
09-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Trampled....sorry you feel that way. When passions are high things will get said that may be a bit rough. If someone is so offended by what is said on this board, then I really wonder how strong of a fan that person is.....

To put is another way, is that person a fan of the Bison...or are they really just a fan of a particular player. Because most of us on here are alumni or long time Bison supporters, we are indeed fans of the Bison.

We also need to remember that there are some fans that think we are way too heavy handed when we moderate. Some fans were so unhappy with our moderating that they left and started Bisonsports.net. In the end we all strive to make this a place where Bison sports can be discussed freely and, for the most part, with civility.

But please remember, as we all do......

Now this is the law of the prairie
As old and as true as the sky
And the Bison that keep it will prosper
And the Bison that break it will die
As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk
This law is the final word:
For the strength of the Herd is the Bison
And the strength of the Bison is the Herd.

rutlandbison
09-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah I realize that he has gotten bashed a lot... A LOT!! That is why I said for the most part or something like that. But not everybody does it.

TransAmBison
09-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Trampled...if somebody became a Firetruck fan after being a Bison...they never really were a Bison. If they can't take the messageboard...well...who needs them. Honestly, they grow up a little. The Bison are where they are because there is a tradition of excellence. Fans expect it. Coaches expect it.

Now send those parents my way and we will have a nice little prayer service...maybe an induction. Let's see if we can win some of the back through the HOB!

tjbison
09-09-2009, 05:23 PM
yes yes yes

then they shouldn't read anything on the internet!!:smh:

SDbison
09-09-2009, 05:58 PM
then they shouldn't read anything on the internet!!:smh:
OK, so some parent, administrator or old time teammaker just got done telling us this has to be a white bread only message board. I sincerely hope this is not going to affect how this message board operates. I think it is a joke that they really think we should operate under some sort or restricted topics like you can't talk bad about any one player. If a player screws up its all fodder for discussion. They are DI players and are getting some pretty nice perks to be a student athlete. As long as the coments are restricted to the players skills and performance it should be allowable.

EndZoneQB
09-09-2009, 06:33 PM

But that's just me...

I just assume that people are going to eventually meet me, I introduce myself as my bville name if we get on the subject at any bison events...I'll say anything in person that I have said online.

And as to "supporting" the program by "bad mouthing", I like to think of it as, I'm caring about how they are doing, and that is supporting the program. I don't wear green and gold colored glasses, I just call it like I see it. Sometimes I'm wrong, but other times I know exactly what I am talking about. Spending so much time on a message board based on the school would definitely fall under the category of supporting...so suck it up and grow up.

Either way, I'll be Coach Tony or EndZoneQB at every game again this year.

stevdock
09-09-2009, 06:44 PM
OK, so some parent, administrator or old time teammaker just got done telling us this has to be a white bread only message board. I sincerely hope this is not going to affect how this message board operates. I think it is a joke that they really think we should operate under some sort or restricted topics like you can't talk bad about any one player. If a player screws up its all fodder for discussion. They are DI players and are getting some pretty nice perks to be a student athlete. As long as the coments are restricted to the players skills and performance it should be allowable.

I don't agree with you and I'm not any of the three you mentioned. They are student athletes. Not that you are the only one, but the stuff that has been written about our QB in the past year has been ridiculous. In my opinion pros are another matter.

aces1180
09-09-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't agree with you and I'm not any of the three you mentioned. They are student athletes. Not that you are the only one, but the stuff that has been written about our QB in the past year has been ridiculous. In my opinion pros are another matter.

Student athletes who are going to school for free...

Nobody pays $15 a seat to watch a math phenom on a full-ride scholarship work equations, but if they did, they would be under scrutiny too...

Sorry, but when you step into the limelight on the dime of donors and season ticket holders, some praise and criticism (if necessary) should be expected.

gotts
09-09-2009, 08:53 PM

Nobody pays $15 a seat to watch a math phenom on a full-ride scholarship work equations, but if they did, they would be under scrutiny too...

Sorry, but when you step into the limelight on the dime of donors and season ticket holders, some praise and criticism (if necessary) should be expected.

Hypothetically:

Does that mean we should only save our criticisms for scholarship players?

If there were a meaningful walk-on in the same light, would he automatically get a free pass because he's paying for his education?

Back on topic, I do feel that comments should be what they are... it is as open of a forum as you're going to find and where else are you going to honestly voice your opinions?

aces1180
09-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Hypothetically:

Does that mean we should only save our criticisms for scholarship players?

If there were a meaningful walk-on in the same light, would he automatically get a free pass because he's paying for his education?

Back on topic, I do feel that comments should be what they are... it is as open of a forum as you're going to find and where else are you going to honestly voice your opinions?

Ah, you make a good point...However, most walk-on who are worth talking about on a message board will eventually end up earning a scholarship. So in turn, they can be discussed ;)

This is a message board which is not affiliated with NDSU, with the exception of some members being Team Makers, so I think the ability to talk freely is just.

I also think the moderation team does a great job here and should be thanked for giving us a place to praise and/or complain about all things Bison.

gotts
09-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Ah, you make a good point...However, most walk-on who are worth talking about on a message board will eventually end up earning a scholarship. So in turn, they can be discussed ;)

This is a message board which is not affiliated with NDSU, with the exception of some members being Team Makers, so I think the ability to talk freely is just.

I also think the moderation team does a great job here and should be thanked for giving us a place to praise and/or complain about all things Bison.

Yeah, a very isolated post.

I have no problems with the way things are run around here... problems are many times fixed behind the scenes, and if someone is out of line in their posts, someone is sure to call them out on it.

So, I forget, what's the big freakin' deal again?

THEsocalledfan
09-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Great discussion.

I find it fascinating that we should all drink Kool-Aid as, otherwise, some feelings could be hurt. Folks that are sensitive simply should not hang out here, plain and simple. For years, long before message boards, NFL players have said, occasionally truthfully, they don't read what is said in the papers. Why? To Trampled's point, it could get you down and that is not a very good decision. I think that is excellent advice for players and message boards.

However, this is a free country, and many of us will not drink the Kool-Aid. Taking my past Mertens comments in particular, I have nothing persaonlly against Mertens, but I am convinced he is not a West Coast QB. He does not throw accurately enough even though I keep praying he will prove me wrong. Does this make him a bad person? No. Does this make him someone who should not be a student athlete? No. Does this make him a bad person? Certainly not. But all these things do not change my original argument that he is not a West Coast QB. Just reality, not personal.

As you can imagine, even in my profession role, some find me rough around the edges, and my biggest weakness is not fully appreciating other folk's feelings. However, I get things done, advance what is needed, and get personal attacks leveled at me for these reasons. I don't like it, it hurts my feelings, but it is life. If players or there families willingly come her, perhaps it is a good life lesson and as TAB knows, I will always be a Bison fan.

CarringtonBison
09-10-2009, 12:45 AM

Isn't that the plot of good will hunting....I'm pretty sure that sounds like the plot to good will hunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC4P3a5lMio

Jdubs21
09-10-2009, 12:53 AM
But honestly when we think of our football players and the sport of college football, do we really even think about their schooling?, yes i want them to get a great education but the most important thing to all of us is WINNING!, i havent seen one thread about their grades and what classes they are in and how good they are doing etc...this is a football team and we hold them to high expectations because well lets face it, we are more worried about our next oppenent than their next test

aces1180
09-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Isn't that the plot of good will hunting....I'm pretty sure that sounds like the plot to good will hunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC4P3a5lMio

I never saw that movie...However I did get the idea from a quote in the 90s football movie "The Program." :)

80ALUM
09-10-2009, 09:38 PM
A true Bison fan would never switch their loyalty to the Bison over something said on this or any other board. You cannot control what other fans say or do. People conduct themselves how they will and are a reflection of themselves. Every team has good fans and every team has bad fans. It is human nature.
Many of the parents of players do not remain fans for a long period of time unless they themselves are alumni. The players remain fans because they have a love for the team regardless of what a few post on message boards and because they are alumni.
I am a teammaker and do not consider myself any more or less of a fan than one who is not a teammaker. There are more ways to be a fan than just financial support. Teammakers is not a union and cannot govern people's behavior. I am a teammaker because I am a fan and I believe in the support they give the Bison athletic program and I alone am responsible for my behavior.

EndZoneQB
09-10-2009, 11:10 PM
A true Bison fan would never switch their loyalty to the Bison over something said on this or any other board. You cannot control what other fans say or do. People conduct themselves how they will and are a reflection of themselves. Every team has good fans and every team has bad fans. It is human nature.
Many of the parents of players do not remain fans for a long period of time unless they themselves are alumni. The players remain fans because they have a love for the team regardless of what a few post on message boards and because they are alumni.
I am a teammaker and do not consider myself any more or less of a fan than one who is not a teammaker. There are more ways to be a fan than just financial support. Teammakers is not a union and cannot govern people's behavior. I am a teammaker because I am a fan and I believe in the support they give the Bison athletic program and I alone am responsible for my behavior.

Amen!

/thread.