PDA

View Full Version : Will One QB & One RB Play This Year?

CaBisonFan
09-05-2009, 03:58 PM
I wonder if we'll be watching the Mertens/Paschall show this year...until one or both gets hurt. Is it possible that players like Voigtlander, Siger, Mohler, Perez, and others will get very few real-game experiences until one of them goes down...or until next year?

Or, will Coach Bohl and Coach Vigen try to build a stable of players who can contribute now, and in the future? Will we be one-dimensional again?

No complaints about Mertens really. After watching the game nearly 3 times...each time he looks a little better. He played a LOT of good ball on Thursday night...and showed some real leadership. Really, the goal-line fumble was the only major mistake. It was big...but...

Paschall was purely great...but man...it's obvious that we have others who can run the ball. Siger's run was amazing...and Voigt is a big-time gamer...with a huge 'W' written all over him.

I liked the new offense a lot. Looks promising...and in hindsight...great work Thursday night. We're going to be better than people think. We have a huge upside that could turn into an excellent team with the right attitude, leadership on the field, and good coaching.

rutlandbison
09-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Paschall is the man. I think we need to test the QB's and not just say this is Merten's team. I still think Mohler will start when he comes back.

NDSUFan_Sav
09-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Paschall is the man. I think we need to test the QB's and not just say this is Merten's team. I still think Mohler will start when he comes back.

I like Mohler a lot, I don't see him starting game 3, Mertens will start vs Wagner and hopefully Dante and Mohler get playing time in the 2nd half.

Scooter1
09-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Sigers had a good game. A 42 yard scamper for his first carrie as a Bison is a great start. However, that 42 yard scamper was made possible by the effectiveness of Pat Paschall. They were really trying to key on him and he was still going for 5 yards. The end around was the perfect call; sigers had no one around him for the first 25 yards. What I like most about that run is how he made the correct cuts and damn near scored.

Pat showed me something last night. There is no doubt that Pat is the go to guy this year. I would say that unless DJ significantly picks up his game and hits the holes harder than he has been, Mike Sigers will replace him as the 2 back.

Bison"FANatic"
09-05-2009, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=Scooter1;300094
Pat showed me something last night. There is no doubt that Pat is the go to guy this year. I would say that unless DJ significantly picks up his game and hits the holes harder than he has been, Mike Sigers will replace him as the 2 back.[/QUOTE]

If Williams is really hurt and our Juco receivers don't step up Sigers just may be the 2nd back with DJ seeing more time in the WR, slot position. Time will tell I guess but Sigers impressed the heck out of me for a true freshman. He could be special.

westnodak93bison
09-05-2009, 09:11 PM
DJ hasnt shown me he is anything special. If you disagree please point out a play or two in the last couple years. IMHO, Mr. Voitlander has done more.

rutlandbison
09-05-2009, 09:12 PM
DJ hasnt shown me he is anything special. If you disagree please point out a play or two in the last couple years. IMHO, Mr. Voitlander has done more.
Yeah, he dances around way to much. He doesn't hit the whole very hard. Paschall gets to the whole and then jukes and jives, but he atleast gets to the whole.

X-Factor
09-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah, he dances around way to much. He doesn't hit the whole very hard. Paschall gets to the whole and then jukes and jives, but he atleast gets to the whole.

It seems all of our smaller backs as a whole dance around the hole a bit too much. But when DJ actually does hit the hole you had better watch out or else witness the whole defense chasing down the field after him.

DjKyRo
09-05-2009, 10:52 PM
I like Voigtlander solely for that fumble recovery that netted us about 20 yards late in the game. Nothing says "hustle" like beating two opposing players to recover the lost ball. The guy's a player.

BisoninNWMN
09-06-2009, 02:37 AM

Agreed.

Voigt should get more reps......DJ dances around too much.

steelbison
09-06-2009, 02:45 AM
They will get their chance....the flow of the game dictated what happened.

I expect Voit and DJ to get plenty of touches...

Sigers is electric but remember only 170lbs...use him wisely!!!!

Jdubs21
09-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Mertens will only make it to the 3rd or 4th week when dante has a better feel for the offense...paschall will be our go to back all year providing he stays healthy

phxbison
09-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Pat is the man ! Was real disappointed that Voightlander did not have more oppurtunies (probably has something to do with backing up Huska at fullback), he's explosive and hits the hole with great speed. I agree 100 % about DJ, he's just not impressing me at all. Sigers looks fast and seems to have great vision.

phxbison

Bisonfan1
09-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Dont forget the offense line that opened up some of those running lanes, i think they will get better and better as the year goes on, i was impressed with their play.

westnodak93bison
09-06-2009, 06:21 PM
I hope we play well enough the next two games so we dont have to use PP too much. Need him healthy for the conference games that is for sure.

Love that reverse to Sigers, Voitlander had a similar gain on I think the same play last year against W. Illinois.

Thunder_Struck
09-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Hard to say what DJ has when he only had 3 carries. He did run with some power on one carry, I think his 1st.

NDSUFan_Sav
09-08-2009, 05:27 AM
Hard to say what DJ has when he only had 3 carries. He did run with some power on one carry, I think his 1st.

I was thinking the same with DJ he hit the hole hard and was fast got some decent yards out of it like 5-6 i think. In practice he hasn't been dancing as much and would hit the hole hard, so hopefully he does this in games too.