PDA

View Full Version : Option plays

HerdBot
09-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Anyone notice the option plays? I was excited to see them I just hope we expand on it. I love the option. For teams that don't see it have a tough time preparing for it. Teams still run it effectively.

Jay
09-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Nope, didn't notice them.

CaBisonFan
09-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Anyone notice the option plays? I was excited to see them I just hope we expand on it. I love the option. For teams that don't see it have a tough time preparing for it. Teams still run it effectively.

Totally gabe. Totally :nod:

onbison09
09-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I liked em just need to work a little more. Nick needs to slow the game down a little more it seems like. He seems pants on fire out there sometimes. Definite improvement for last year.

HerdBot
09-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Nope, didn't notice them.

Did you watch the entire game? Ran the option a few times but didn't make the pitch. It was cool seeing it and it was effective.

Tatanka
09-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Love it. :nod:

Bison"FANatic"
09-04-2009, 02:41 PM
It is also one more twist that a D is going to have to take practice time to work against if we get it going and have it in our arsenal. That takes practice time and makes us just a little bit harder to prepare for. You want the D coordinators saying "crap" we have our work cut out for us this week.

AEBison1998
09-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Did you watch the entire game? Ran the option a few times but didn't make the pitch. It was cool seeing it and it was effective.

I think they ran the option at leat 5 times. Mertens made a pitch once that I saw and took an aboslute SHOT right afterwards. The back made a nice run. Another time mertens kept it for a first down carry on a 3rd down.

tcbison
09-04-2009, 05:04 PM
I think they ran the option at leat 5 times. Mertens made a pitch once that I saw and took an aboslute SHOT right afterwards. The back made a nice run. Another time mertens kept it for a first down carry on a 3rd down.

Yeah, Merten's had to pitch it really quick and it was running to his left.

TransAmBison
09-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Yeah, Merten's had to pitch it really quick and it was running to his left.
That was an absolutely awesome pitch. I have to think that was pure instinct. Great play. Love it when I see some option. The rest of the option plays did not look like there was even a thought of the pitch man, though. Guessing Mertens just saw a hole and went for it.

Jay
09-04-2009, 05:35 PM

Sarcasm.....

THEsocalledfan
09-04-2009, 06:39 PM
That was an absolutely awesome pitch. I have to think that was pure instinct. Great play. Love it when I see some option. The rest of the option plays did not look like there was even a thought of the pitch man, though. Guessing Mertens just saw a hole and went for it.

The key to going anywhere with Mertens is to use him in more of a running role. I think he throws better when rolling, runs a very good QB draw, and looks to be able to be a good option QB with more work. All accounts are he is an awesome athlete; let's use him as such. He is simply not a West Coast QB and we will go no where if they keep using him that way.

cvbison1
09-04-2009, 07:02 PM
The key to going anywhere with Mertens is to use him in more of a running role. I think he throws better when rolling, runs a very good QB draw, and looks to be able to be a good option QB with more work. All accounts are he is an awesome athlete; let's use him as such. He is simply not a West Coast QB and we will go no where if they keep using him that way.

i liked the option plays. but random question....when does the juco WR Sammie Rogers get to play? or whats his story

North Side
09-04-2009, 07:08 PM
I wonder if Dante would be good to have out there on the option do you know if he is faster than Mertens?

Gully
09-04-2009, 07:40 PM

I agree completely. It was an excellent pitch and then he got crushed. Great to see some option. I hope they continue running a little option.

BisonTruth
09-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Maybe its me but the more you keep the ball out of Mertens hands the better the bison will do. He had a lot of turn overs last year and I wouldnt put him in the position to create even more this year. I say the option is a waste of time with him. Maybe if he was blazing fast but hes not.

SDbison
09-05-2009, 01:17 AM
I think running the option will be a waste of time. The running game does not have issues, its the passing game that is lacking. West Coast requires pinpoint short passes that are consistently executed. Mertens is not capable.

TransAmBison
09-05-2009, 01:46 AM
I think running the option will be a waste of time. The running game does not have issues, its the passing game that is lacking. West Coast requires pipoint short passes that are consistently executed. Mertens is not capable.
I'll take any amount of option, any way I can get it. Throw the old school snorting Bison on the helmet and I will be in heaven! :D Can I get a Booyah onbison09?!

SDbison
09-05-2009, 02:05 AM
I'll take any amount of option, any way I can get it. Throw the old school snorting Bison on the helmet and I will be in heaven! :D Can I get a Booyah onbison09?!
Go ahead.......live in the past. The way the option is run by the Bison now is just a gimmick play. Risky too......look at what happened on the goal line.

westnodak93bison
09-05-2009, 02:10 AM
If I were the OC I'd take a serious look at some of the plays run by Boise St.
They seem to be very good at gadget plays that actually work and leave the opposing defense confused.

cvbison1
09-05-2009, 03:53 AM
If I were the OC I'd take a serious look at some of the plays run by Boise St.
They seem to be very good at gadget plays that actually work and leave the opposing defense confused.

our O.C. did a hell of a great job against iowa state.

4mcruenomore
09-05-2009, 05:37 AM
Nick did an excellent job at the Option. I say we need more of it, just don't fumble. QB's take a hit when they pitch, watch Simdorn or Bentrim, took many hits. But, when you have a big running QB, it's ok, and Nick fits the build. He can take a hit, he's a trooper. I say do it Craig.

Herd
09-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Go ahead.......live in the past. The way the option is run by the Bison now is just a gimmick play. Risky too......look at what happened on the goal line.

What do you mean, look what happened? If he hangs onto the ball it's 6 for the bison. The fumble was just a fumble, a scrum at the goal line with 11 guys trying to strip the ball. That could happen to anyone on any type of running play. That is not a fumble because of the option offense.

Gully
09-05-2009, 12:43 PM
What do you mean, look what happened? If he hangs onto the ball it's 6 for the bison. The fumble was just a fumble, a scrum at the goal line with 11 guys trying to strip the ball. That could happen to anyone on any type of running play. That is not a fumble because of the option offense.

Now there you go again.......being logical.:D

SDbison
09-05-2009, 01:31 PM
The option puts the ball in the hands of the QB to run. With the few times it will be run as a gimmick play there is risk that the QB doesn't protect the ball as well as a RB.

THEsocalledfan
09-05-2009, 08:43 PM
The option puts the ball in the hands of the QB to run. With the few times it will be run as a gimmick play there is risk that the QB doesn't protect the ball as well as a RB.

Thus why it needs to be a regular staple. As I said, I think he has the ability to run it well and he sure as heck does it better than throwing.

SDbison
09-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Thus why it needs to be a regular staple. As I said, I think he has the ability to run it well and he sure as heck does it better than throwing.
Sorry, NDSU has Paschall and doesn't need to run the option. They just need to be able to complete some passes. Bad logic........lets change what we do good (having the tailback run) and have the other 10 guys (and back up QB's) play a different game because of Mertens. This is just plain stupid.
Pull your head out Bisonville.......this is 2009 and FCS, not 1989 and DII.

steelbison
09-06-2009, 02:50 AM
our O.C. did a hell of a great job against iowa state.

Called a great game..game plan was the best I've seen in a looooong time..

Fumble at the goal line and the int. on the opening drive of the second half prevented us from winning..but Vigen was impressive!!!

tjbison
09-06-2009, 03:06 AM
Called a great game..game plan was the best I've seen in a looooong time..

Fumble at the goal line and the int. on the opening drive of the second half prevented us from winning..but Vigen was impressive!!!

Agreed, much better than up the middle, up the middle, swing pass, punt!!:hide:

rutlandbison
09-06-2009, 03:27 AM
Sorry, NDSU has Paschall and doesn't need to run the option. They just need to be able to complete some passes. Bad logic........lets change what we do good (having the tailback run) and have the other 10 guys (and back up QB's) play a different game because of Mertens. This is just plain stupid.
Pull your head out Bisonville.......this is 2009 and FCS, not 1989 and DII.
Your right, there is no way the option could work at any higher level than D2.......
I mean Paul Johhson NEVER won anything at Georgia Southern while he was there running it. There was no way he turned around Navy and was 45-29 as the Midshipmen coach. AND THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL HE COULD EVER WIN AT GEORGIA TECH WITH THAT KIND OF OFFENSE!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Johnson_(American_football_coach)

But wait you can edit wikipedia so it must be wrong.

TransAmBison
09-06-2009, 03:31 AM
Your right, there is no way the option could work at any higher level than FCS.......
I mean Paul Johhson NEVER won anything at Georgia Southern while he was there running it. There was no way he turned around Navy and was 45-29 the Midshipmen coach. AND THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL HE COULD EVER WIN AT GEORGIA TECH WITH THAT KIND OF OFFENSE!!!!

Ahhhh, stop making points!!!! Reason backed by facts has no business in this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anybody who blaspheme's the option deserves a kick to the nuts! And that includes you SD! :D

Bisonguy
09-06-2009, 03:59 AM
Your right, there is no way the option could work at any higher level than D2.......
I mean Paul Johhson NEVER won anything at Georgia Southern while he was there running it. There was no way he turned around Navy and was 45-29 as the Midshipmen coach. AND THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL HE COULD EVER WIN AT GEORGIA TECH WITH THAT KIND OF OFFENSE!!!!

wikipedia is always wrong:

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215535851_hBPpe-L-2.jpg

rutlandbison
09-06-2009, 03:31 PM
wikipedia is always wrong:

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215535851_hBPpe-L-2.jpg
I know, that's why everything on there about Paul Johnson must be wrong. Somebody is making these numbers up!!!

Bisonfan1
09-06-2009, 05:13 PM
I love the option as much as anyone, Your QB has to have speed and not hesitate. The one pitch was great for sure. Im sorry, but now that they cut Mertens loose with some running ( finally) I just did not see the speed I was hoping for. Maybe the other QB's on the team would be better suited for the option? If Mertens would not hesitate at times then this may just work, 3 yards here and there on the option will not cut it, the defense will smell that out after a couple of attempts at it. I still love it though, and it was nice to see some more imagination on the play calling and being more un-predictable, it does take some of the heat off the QB when things are mixed up a little better.

HerdBot
09-06-2009, 06:02 PM
I love the option as much as anyone, Your QB has to have speed and not hesitate. The one pitch was great for sure. Im sorry, but now that they cut Mertens loose with some running ( finally) I just did not see the speed I was hoping for. Maybe the other QB's on the team would be better suited for the option? If Mertens would not hesitate at times then this may just work, 3 yards here and there on the option will not cut it, the defense will smell that out after a couple of attempts at it. I still love it though, and it was nice to see some more imagination on the play calling and being more un-predictable, it does take some of the heat off the QB when things are mixed up a little better.

He is a very fast runner. He just needs a few more opportunities to showcase his speed in the open field.

rutlandbison
09-06-2009, 09:18 PM
He is a very fast runner. He just needs a few more opportunities to showcase his speed in the open field.
And the option could do that for him.