PDA

View Full Version : Your prediction after ISU?

DjKyRo
09-04-2009, 04:05 AM
We've seen what the team can do, and we've seen how the question marks were answered at least after one game. your thoughts on the season?

For me it's 7-4 with losses to ISU, SIU, UNI and maybe one other. Wins against teams like SHSU and SDSU both away - and we might just end up contending for a playoff berth methinks.

TheBisonator
09-04-2009, 04:05 AM
If Mertens is the starter all season: 6-5

If Mertens is pulled: 8-3

ndsubison1
09-04-2009, 04:07 AM
i like 7-4... but it's so hard to judge... not sure if iowa state is improved, we've improved or vice-versa

DjKyRo
09-04-2009, 04:09 AM
i like 7-4... but it's so hard to judge... not sure if iowa state is improved, we've improved or vice-versa

Well, let's think of it this way - 1 INT vs. 6 SDSU INT's and by most Clowns' reckoning they were better than us. I like to thin that we were much improved form last year, but the no-huddle and new coaching staff caught a break in the usual trend and got ISU in shape for the game. Props to them for a well-played game (for the most part.).

NDSUstudent
09-04-2009, 04:09 AM
Talk to me after next week, I am sick of the Mertens bashing, the team returned nothing on offense but a QB, RBs and OL. A new TE, a new FB, new WRS but against a Big 12 team he was supposed to put it all together. I said this last year and I will say it again, Mertens can't catch his own passes or block for himself, he also didn't commit all those penalties. I'm tired of him being a scapegoat, it won't matter who is the QB unless other areas improve as well.

heckler
09-04-2009, 04:18 AM
I think we built a solid fondation for the rest of the year. We only lost by 17 and turned the ball over 3 times and one at the goal line. isu also fumbled (was not called one) and we STILL only lost by 17. Don't turn the ball over so much get a call or two from the refs and this game would have been very, very close or ours. Disappointing, yes, but I think we have a lot to build on, but come on coach, put in the younger guy at QB (at the end of the game). You made that mistake with Mertens why are you doing it again?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-04-2009, 04:20 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised by what I saw tonight. The offense will be able to move the ball very effectively. The defense will need work. A young team that will only get better as the year moves forward. We will be better by the end of this season than we were at the end of last season.

I'm uping my prediction from earlier.

We go 7-4. :)

ndsubison1
09-04-2009, 04:21 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised by what I saw tonight. The offense will be able to move the ball very effectively. The defense will need work. A young team that will only get better as the year moves forward. We will be better by the end of this season than we were at the end of last season.

my thoughts exactly

DjKyRo
09-04-2009, 04:23 AM
So we've got 7-4, 6-5/8-3. 7-4, and 7-4. Not bad at all.

TheBisonator
09-04-2009, 04:23 AM

I'm staying at 7-4 for the most part with my prediction, it's that I'm afraid Mertens will cost us more games this year. If that happens, then 6-5. If Mertens can show improvement, then 7-4. If Dante comes in and plays better, 8-3.

North Side
09-04-2009, 04:24 AM

I disagree... Mertens showed a great improvement form last year. Wyoming game he was throwing picks left and right. Today he held on to the ball took some sacks. At the least you cant say he became worse than last year.

NDSUstudent
09-04-2009, 04:28 AM
Does anyone remember the spring game? This is basically the same team that had one touchdown in the spring game on a trick play. Heck our best receiver in the spring game was kicked off the team.

This team has come a long way and you know what they say...A team always improves the most from week 1 to week 2 and if that holds true I think this team will be a contender in the MVFC.

Scooter1
09-04-2009, 04:28 AM
Well, let's think of it this way - 1 INT vs. 6 SDSU INT's and by most Clowns' reckoning they were better than us. I like to thin that we were much improved form last year, but the no-huddle and new coaching staff caught a break in the usual trend and got ISU in shape for the game. Props to them for a well-played game (for the most part.).

Whatever...SDSU was NEVER in this game last year. it was 37-3 early in the fourth and if not for two ho hum fouth quarter TD (one, a fumble recovery for 78 yards) the score would have been wider. Against SDSU, the first defense for ISU was out of the game early in the fourth quarter. The announcers in the game tonight thought it was still a game going into the fourth quarter. A bounce here or there and this game could have ended up 24-27 ISU.

We all logically thought that a win tonight would have been a tall order. I think we saw some good things tonight. We saw an offensive line that could make some holes. We saw a quarterback that converted some key third downs under hostile conditions. He threw the ball away on some roll outs that weren't there. We saw a true freshman that is FANTASTIC. We saw a starting tail back that took charge. The announcers were very impressed with Preston Evans.

I was not impressed with the Bison pass defense.

We also saw the reason for all the scoring in the B 12. Was there even one holding call for either team the entire game? Out side of two pass interference calls, they only threw flags on obvious penalties like off sides on KO and false starts.

TheBisonator
09-04-2009, 04:32 AM
Whatever...SDSU was NEVER in this game last year. it was 37-3 early in the fourth and if not for two ho hum fouth quarter TD (one, a fumble recovery for 78 yards) the score would have been wider. Against SDSU, the first defense for ISU was out of the game early in the fourth quarter. The announcers in the game tonight thought it was still a game going into the fourth quarter. A bounce here or there and this game could have ended up 24-27 ISU.

We all logically thought that a win tonight would have been a tall order. I think we saw some good things tonight. We saw an offensive line that could make some holes. We saw a quarterback that converted some key third downs under hostile conditions. He threw the ball away on some roll outs that weren't there. We saw a true freshman that is FANTASTIC. We saw a starting tail back that took charge. The announcers were very impressed with Preston Evans.

I was not impressed with the Bison pass defense.

To the defense's credit, they were playing an explosive Big XII offense. They also have a big test next week at SHSU. We may be facing our two best offenses of the season in the first two games.

tjbison
09-04-2009, 04:35 AM
To the defense's credit, they were playing an explosive Big XII offense. They also have a big test next week at SHSU. We may be facing our two best offenses of the season in the first two games.

just curious, what makes SHSU a better offense than UNI or SIU?? just a question, because Western Ill, is way down from last years team and they didn't have much of a problem with Sam Houston tonight. Bison win next week by 2 td's

MontBison
09-04-2009, 04:36 AM
That you are all retarted to think that it was ok to lose to ISU. That you are all retarted to think that we should be ok with the fact this is the way that we started our season. That you are all retarted to think that maybe we have given our coaches the best resources in the country and this is all we get in return. We will not make the playoffs and thats the end of the story.

TheBisonator
09-04-2009, 04:39 AM
That you are all retarted to think that it was ok to lose to ISU. That you are all retarted to think that we should be ok with the fact this is the way that we started our season. That you are all retarted to think that maybe we have given our coaches the best resources in the country and this is all we get in return. We will not make the playoffs and thats the end of the story.

Looks like somebody needs a hug.:blush:

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-04-2009, 04:41 AM

Come'on man. Lets be realistic. We returned almost no starters except a crappy QB, who showed good (not great) improvement. What do you expect? A conference championship? A National Championship? With what? A bunch of freshman and sophmores with no playing experience. We aren't going to go 10-1 every year.

To quote Lou Holtz: "The other side gives scholarships too, you know."

MontBison
09-04-2009, 04:42 AM
Looks like somebody needs a hug.:blush:

That or I'm sick of people talking stupid on here. Mertens did not play bad at all, and I don't even like the guy. Maybe we should look towards our stout defense? or how bout the coach that's suppose to have a good game plan. As far as I'm concerned he won with Bobby's players and he has showed us time and time again he can't recruit.

MontBison
09-04-2009, 04:43 AM
Come'on man. Lets be realistic. We returned almost no starters except a crappy QB, who showed good (not great) improvement. What do you expect? A conference championship? A National Championship? With what? A bunch of freshman and sophmores with no playing experience. We aren't going to go 10-1 every year.

To quote Lou Holtz: "The other side gives scholarships too, you know."

Because we should expect more. If we expect to lose then why the fuck don't we play the second stringers off the bat?

ndsubison1
09-04-2009, 04:43 AM

we lost, yeah, it sucks, buts lets face it I wasn't expecting us to win tonight. It's still FCS vs. FBS. We were supposed to lose. We're a very young team and we didn't look all that bad... we made some mistakes but that's what happens with a young team. Please go into further detail with your discrepancies with the coaches, I would love to hear them. It was the first game of the year, vs. a Big XII team, who has more schollys than us, who has more talent and athletes than us... yeah it sucks that we lost but seriously what were you expecting... if this was 2007 I expect a win, but times change

TheBisonator
09-04-2009, 04:46 AM
That or I'm sick of people talking stupid on here. Mertens did not play bad at all, and I don't even like the guy. Maybe we should look towards our stout defense? or how bout the coach that's suppose to have a good game plan. As far as I'm concerned he won with Bobby's players and he has showed us time and time again he can't recruit.

Whoa, easy there fella, let's not bring Bohl to the gallows just yet. There's still 10 games to go in the season, 9 of them against teams with 63 scholarships, not 85. (The other one with a lot less).

MontBison
09-04-2009, 04:47 AM
we lost, yeah, it sucks, buts lets face it I wasn't expecting us to win tonight. It's still FCS vs. FBS. We were supposed to lose. We're a very young team and we didn't look all that bad... we made some mistakes but that's what happens with a young team. Please go into further detail with your discrepancies with the coaches, I would love to hear them. It was the first game of the year, vs. an a Big XII team, who has more schollys then us, who has more talent and athletes than us... yeah it sucks that we lost but seriously what were you expecting... if this was 2007 I expect a win, but times change

Why must we expect to lose? every year should be like 2007 no excusses. Seriously if you expect to lose go to UND but as far as I'm concerned we expect more because of the financial resources we stick into it!

MontBison
09-04-2009, 04:48 AM
Whoa, easy there fella, let's not bring Bohl to the gallows just yet. There's still 10 games to go in the season, 9 of them against teams with 63 scholarships, not 85. (The other one with a lot less).

And we will lose at least 4 of them so peace the the playoffs.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-04-2009, 04:48 AM

You are right there. I think I made that point some time last year on this board and was trashed for saying it.

Bobby could recruit. For sure.

Bohl can too. He just let his guard down. I seriously think he thought he was headed for greener pastures and really didn't see a need to put a lot into this program. We are now seeing it and will see it for a few years.

His last recruiting class was terrific. I think he knows he might be here for a while.

He can coach and recruit when he knows he has too.

Just my opinion.

ndsubison1
09-04-2009, 04:50 AM
Why must we expect to lose? every year should be like 2007 no excusses. Seriously if you expect to lose go to UND but as far as I'm concerned we expect more because of the financial resources we stick into it!

no need for me to go into further detail as i did in my last post... please dont tell me to go to und, not necessary... did i want us to win as badly as the next guy? OBVIOUSLY... but lets get real here, look at what our team has back this season, look at how we performed last season... i was seriously not expecting us to win tonight and any sane college football fan would think the same as me (without the green and gold glasses)

Jay
09-04-2009, 04:50 AM
5 wins to 6 defeats.

MontBison
09-04-2009, 04:52 AM
You are right there. I think I made that point some time last year on this board and was trashed for saying it.

Bohl can too. He just let his guard down. I seriously think he thought he was headed for greener pastures and really didn't see a need to put a lot into this program. We are now seeing it and will see it for a few years.

His last recruiting class was terrific. I think he knows he might be here for a while.

Just my opinion.

Just listen to yourself. His last recruiting class? He should have the top 5 class in FCS year in and year out and there is no reason why he shouldn't. I don't care if it was good this year because as far as I'm concerned he neglected the most important postion on the field.

TheBisonator

Just my opinion.

That's a good point, he probably thought he'd be snatched up by a BCS program back in the spring of 2007. His 2008 and 2009 Baby Bison classes have been much improved. We have more talented freshmen and sophomores than juniors and seniors.

Scooter1

W Illinois shut this team down tonight. SHSU scored 14 points on defense (int for TD and fumble recovery for TD.)

MontBison
09-04-2009, 04:53 AM
no need for me to go into further detail as i did in my last post... please dont tell me to go to und, not necessary... did i want us to win as badly as the next guy? OBVIOUSLY... but lets get real here, look at what our team has back this season, look at how we performed last season... i was seriously not expecting us to win tonight and any sane college football fan would think the same as me (without the green and gold glasses)

so lets show up and the forfet?

TheBisonator
09-04-2009, 04:53 AM
5 wins to 6 defeats.

Even in my worst case scenario I have us only losing 5 total. Please tell me the 6 total games you think we'll lose. And don't say any home game besides UNI, because that's our only tough game at home.

ndsubison1
09-04-2009, 04:55 AM
so lets show up and the forfet?

not my point

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-04-2009, 04:58 AM
Just listen to yourself. His last recruiting class? He should have the top 5 class in FCS year in and year out and there is no reason why he shouldn't. I don't care if it was good this year because as far as I'm concerned he neglected the most important postion on the field.

I am listening to myself. Reread my post. I'm agreeing with you. Bohl dropped the ball. He got raped up in himself and thought he would be gone and therefore neglected his recruiting duties. I'm saying he's a good coach and recruiter when he knows he has to be. His las recruiting class was good, the other ones, not so much.

Jay
09-04-2009, 04:58 AM
Even in my worst case scenario I have us only losing 5 total. Please tell me the 6 total games you think we'll lose. And don't say any home game besides UNI, because that's our only tough game at home.

Iowa State = Loss -- road
Sam Houston State = Loss -- road
Wagner = Win -- home
Southern Illinois = Loss -- road
Illinois State = Win -- home
UNI = Loss -- home
SDSU = Loss -- road
Missouri State = Win -- home
Western Illinois = Loss -- road
Indiana State = Win -- road
Youngstown State = Win -- home

Jay
09-04-2009, 04:59 AM
Wagner = Win -- home
UNI = Loss -- home
SDSU = Loss -- road

ask me tomorrow and i'll probably have a different answer. i'm pissed off right now.

NDSUstudent
09-04-2009, 04:59 AM
I always expect to win but I won't throw a fit over this game. This team is very green and beating any FBS team requires experience and playing at a high level. This team hasn't had a chance to get any momentum going, this game was really phase one for Bohl and his new coordinators, if this team improves like they should this game won't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

So I guess I am saying criticize Bohl at the end of the year if this team fails to improve, not now. It isn't time to push the panic button yet.

CarringtonBison
09-04-2009, 05:03 AM
i expect things from this team after watching them tonight, 8-3.

MontBison
09-04-2009, 05:04 AM
I always expect to win but I won't throw a fit over this game. This team is very green and beating any FBS team requires experience and playing at a high level. This team hasn't had a chance to get any momentum going, this game was really phase one for Bohl and his new coordinators, if this team improves like they should this game won't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

So I guess I am saying criticize Bohl at the end of the year if this team fails to improve, not now. It isn't time to push the panic button yet.

So why not stay home and play a scrimmage against Fargo South?

MontBison
09-04-2009, 05:05 AM
Wagner = Win -- home
UNI = Loss -- home
SDSU = Loss -- road

spot on correct

TheBisonator
09-04-2009, 05:08 AM
spot on correct

DEAD WRONG, IMO.

MontBison
09-04-2009, 05:10 AM
DEAD WRONG, IMO.

Your on crack IMO and if you wanted to bet on it you would lose.

HandoEX
09-04-2009, 05:13 AM
I was impressed with tonight's performance. Our D willl be an FCS top 10 unit for sure.

TheBisonator
09-04-2009, 05:13 AM

I'll save that little schedule prediction for the end of the year just to shove it in the face of you pessimists.

MontBison
09-04-2009, 05:14 AM
I'll save that little schedule prediction for the end of the year just to shove it in the face of you pessimists.

Do it and you'll look like an idiot.

Jay
09-04-2009, 05:27 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but we'll see. The same old mistakes at the most crucial times.

HerdBot
09-04-2009, 05:28 AM
We've seen what the team can do, and we've seen how the question marks were answered at least after one game. your thoughts on the season?

For me it's 7-4 with losses to ISU, SIU, UNI and maybe one other. Wins against teams like SHSU and SDSU both away - and we might just end up contending for a playoff berth methinks.

I feel great about the season!

First off- We need to get past the idea that we're expected to beat FBS teams. The fact of the matter is that it rarely happens and on a typical year there are only a handful of upsets. NDSU was the first team in decades to have 2 wins of FBS teams in the same season. We have high standards and that is a good thing but in the grand scheme of things, this ISU game doesn't matter and we should have lost.

What did we learn about the offense?

Our offensive line was dominating! Do you realize we rushed for 5.5 yard per carry, put up 388 yards of offense, and scored 17 points (should have been 24 without the end zone fumble) against a Big 12 team? And we did it with only completing 4 passes to wideouts. Mertens played well enough to win against FBS teams and will only continute to get better. His pick was off of a deflection and he had some early drops. He stayed calm in front of a crowd of 55K people. He didn't run a lot but he seems to have a nose for getting first downs, except for the fumble. He was an effective game manager and could make the occasional pay when needed. He struggled at the end when we had to abandon the run. We can win with him.

What did we learn about the defense?

We went against the best offense we have ever seen and no team we face will even come close to having that kind of speed. We're young and inexperienced. We only return 4 starters from last years team and we have many fist year starters. We have a brand new defensive coordinator, so we're a little behind. The most glaring need is the lack of a pass rush. It's tough to gauge because this is the best offensive line we will face and we were missing our best DE in Garrett Johnson. His return is very important. Despite all of that, I thought we looked pretty good against a Big 12 team. We gave up 34 points. Last year we gave up nearly 30 against SDSU, YSU, UNI, and SIU and they are not as explosive as ISU. Hell we even gave up 27 to Missouri State last year!

Bright spots? Preston Evans, Mike Sigers, Pat Paschall, Offensive Line, Defensive Tackles, Tight Ends, and new offensive coordinator looked great! Tyler Henry played a solid game. Holloway had a few really good catches.

So I actually feel really good about the team. Predictions? I can see us winning 8-9 games and making the playoffs. 8 wins in a tough conference may be enough to get in.

7 Wins against Sam Houston, Wagner, Illinois State, SDSU (due for a win), Missouri State, Indiana State and Younstown State.

That means we only need to win 1 of the 3 vs Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, and Western Illinois. A win over UNI or SIU would help us get into the playoffs.

duluthbison
09-04-2009, 05:47 AM

http://thecreme.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/picture-50_2larger.jpg

Go to sleep, settle down, and come back tomorrow. This team played exceptionally well considering what they were up against tonight and during the pre-season. This team has lots of potential and I think we should be giving everyone the benefit of the doubt and give them some slack. If you think that Bohl has dropped the ball, then go get in the front of the line to replace him.

onbison09
09-04-2009, 12:16 PM

Just my opinion.
Preston Evans is pretty good.

onbison09
09-04-2009, 12:17 PM
I feel great about the season!

First off- We need to get past the idea that we're expected to beat FBS teams. The fact of the matter is that it rarely happens and on a typical year there are only a handful of upsets. NDSU was the first team in decades to have 2 wins of FBS teams in the same season. We have high standards and that is a good thing but in the grand scheme of things, this ISU game doesn't matter and we should have lost.

What did we learn about the offense?

Our offensive line was dominating! Do you realize we rushed for 5.5 yard per carry, put up 388 yards of offense, and scored 17 points (should have been 24 without the end zone fumble) against a Big 12 team? And we did it with only completing 4 passes to wideouts. Mertens played well enough to win against FBS teams and will only continute to get better. His pick was off of a deflection and he had some early drops. He stayed calm in front of a crowd of 55K people. He didn't run a lot but he seems to have a nose for getting first downs, except for the fumble. He was an effective game manager and could make the occasional pay when needed. He struggled at the end when we had to abandon the run. We can win with him.

What did we learn about the defense?

We went against the best offense we have ever seen and no team we face will even come close to having that kind of speed. We're young and inexperienced. We only return 4 starters from last years team and we have many fist year starters. We have a brand new defensive coordinator, so we're a little behind. The most glaring need is the lack of a pass rush. It's tough to gauge because this is the best offensive line we will face and we were missing our best DE in Garrett Johnson. His return is very important. Despite all of that, I thought we looked pretty good against a Big 12 team. We gave up 34 points. Last year we gave up nearly 30 against SDSU, YSU, UNI, and SIU and they are not as explosive as ISU. Hell we even gave up 27 to Missouri State last year!

Bright spots? Preston Evans, Mike Sigers, Pat Paschall, Offensive Line, Defensive Tackles, Tight Ends, and new offensive coordinator looked great! Tyler Henry played a solid game. Holloway had a few really good catches.

So I actually feel really good about the team. Predictions? I can see us winning 8-9 games and making the playoffs. 8 wins in a tough conference may be enough to get in.

7 Wins against Sam Houston, Wagner, Illinois State, SDSU (due for a win), Missouri State, Indiana State and Younstown State.

That means we only need to win 1 of the 3 vs Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, and Western Illinois. A win over UNI or SIU would help us get into the playoffs.
WIU isn't the same team as last year.

bisonfan11
09-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I still say 7-4. I am unhappy that the Bison lost, but I kinda expected it. This team is probably the greenest team we have seen for a while and yet for the most part we hung in against Iowa St. I don't understand how anyone would think that we would lose next week against a Sam Houston St team picked to be next to last in their conference. Yes it is on the road, but Rhett Bomar is not the starting qb. We could go 8-3 if we either defeat one of the following: Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, or Western Illinois.

Hammerhead
09-04-2009, 01:18 PM
I'll go with 8-3.

While Mertens wasn't perfect, I thought he looked better than he did in the 2 losses I watched last year. (UNI and the team we played at home the previous week.)

The Iowa State QB missed a few recievers including the one play where the Bison left someone totally uncovered near the goal line.

Trampled
09-04-2009, 01:21 PM
The most disturbing play for me was in the 4th when Nick hung our tight end out to dry. A six foot five (or larger) target and he badly overthrew him down the middle. Every receivers worst nightmare. Hope he is all right. I can't remember which tight end it was. Overall, I felt Nick looked better, but down the stretch is where he struggled last year and that question mark is still there in my opinion. I felt they should have played the young QB also at the end. WTF

Dazz
09-04-2009, 01:25 PM
I truthfully think that no matter who the QB gets the most wins the Bison get this year is 7.

MontanaBisonFan
09-04-2009, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=gabe;299718]I feel great about the season!

First off- We need to get past the idea that we're expected to beat FBS teams.

So I actually feel really good about the team.[QUOTE]

Gabe you have a good attitude

I am changing my earlier prediction from 15 - 0 to 14-1

lost in Fargo
09-04-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure what you saw, but here is my take on that play.
I saw the QB make a great throw. Yes it was high but that is where you throw a pass deep down the middle, especially to a 6' 7" receiver. If that ball was thrown anywhere else it is picked off, put the ball where your receiver has a chance to catch it. The receiver had a chance to catch the ball and no one else could have. If you can get your hands on the ball catch it. You are going to get hit if you catch the ball or not. Catch the ball, get rid of the gator arms!!!!!!!! On the touchdown catch earlier to the same receiver he had the exact same ball thrown to him and he made the catch. So i guess that was a bad throw also, in your opinion?

CATCH THE BALL!!!

lost in Fargo
09-04-2009, 11:24 PM
AMEN TO THAT

Talk to me after next week, I am sick of the Mertens bashing, the team returned nothing on offense but a QB, RBs and OL. A new TE, a new FB, new WRS but against a Big 12 team he was supposed to put it all together. I said this last year and I will say it again, Mertens can't catch his own passes or block for himself, he also didn't commit all those penalties. I'm tired of him being a scapegoat, it won't matter who is the QB unless other areas improve as well.

BisonTruth
09-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Bison wont win more then 3 games this year.

The truth is this is a rebuilding year. Bison graduate 15 seniors last year, of which i believe all were starters.

I wouldnt get to chipped up about a 34-17 lost to a bad Big 12 team. Iowa State is the worst FBS team we've played exept maybe Ball State but we won that game so it doesnt really matter. We were outmatched and out coached.

I hope Im wrong but I think the Bison are in for a long season.

tjbison
09-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Bison wont win more then 3 games this year.

The truth is this is a rebuilding year. Bison graduate 15 seniors last year, of which i believe all were starters.

I wouldnt get to chipped up about a 34-17 lost to a bad Big 12 team. Iowa State is the worst FBS team we've played exept maybe Ball State but we won that game so it doesnt really matter. We were outmatched and out coached.

I hope Im wrong but I think the Bison are in for a long season.

so then who do you think the wins will be and the losses??

Tatanka
09-04-2009, 11:31 PM
so then who do you think the wins will be and the losses??

Yes, please enlighten us.

TheBisonator
09-04-2009, 11:45 PM

Yes, I would also like to hear what the next 7 losses will be from this buttpie before I neg rep him.

tjbison
09-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Yes, I would also like to hear the next 7 losses from this buttpie before I neg rep him.

must be checking out the schedule on gobison to see who we even play:rofl: :rofl:

gotts
09-04-2009, 11:48 PM

http://www.stumbleuponyang.org/demotivational-posters/demotivational-poster-Why%20Bother.jpg

BisonTruth
09-04-2009, 11:53 PM
I may have jumped the gun a little when i said no more then 3. I think they beat Wagner College, Missouri State, and Indiana State. They might beat Illinios State because the Bison are at home.

Im a big bison fan and like I said I hope Im wrong but I just struggle seeing this year as a good year. We lost alot of studs on both sides of the ball and a winning season is a long shot.

SDbison
09-05-2009, 12:25 AM
That is a low standard to judge by..........

SDbison
09-05-2009, 12:36 AM
Yeah but Mertens fumbled at the 0.5 yard line and thew a pick by throwing a bullet at his receivers helmet. He also was throwing the ball all over the place causing receivers to reach behind, catch on on the back side hip or shoulder you name it. His accuracy sucks. Sugercoat it all you want. I know he must be your bud at school, but I don't care. I expect results and he doesn't have it.

SDbison
09-05-2009, 12:38 AM
I am sick of you complaining about the Mertens bashing......he deserves it.

SDbison
09-05-2009, 12:45 AM
If NDSU had a different and only average FCS QB with some accuracy and touch the Bison win at ISU. Yes, there are other areas to improve, but QB is the gaping hole.

SDbison
09-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Oh yeah, my prediction after ISU........if Mertens stays QB throughout the season I see 5-6 (losses to ISU, SHSU, WIU, UNI, SIU and SDSU).

SDbison
09-05-2009, 12:58 AM
I think we built a solid fondation for the rest of the year. We only lost by 17 and turned the ball over 3 times and one at the goal line. isu also fumbled (was not called one) and we STILL only lost by 17. Don't turn the ball over so much get a call or two from the refs and this game would have been very, very close or ours. Disappointing, yes, but I think we have a lot to build on, but come on coach, put in the younger guy at QB (at the end of the game). You made that mistake with Mertens why are you doing it again?
Ditto ditto, ditto.........what are the coaches thinking? Let Perez run a series at the end. Bet he scrambles and passes better than Mertens. Also a bad call by Vigen in mid Q4. 3rd and 3 near the 50. Calls for a pass down the middle 25 yards........something that Mertens completes 1 in 20 (of course he hangs his receiver out to get killed and the pass is incomplete). The O line owned the ISU D line and LB's. A 3 yard run was the minimum NDSU was getting at that point. Horrible play call.
Hope Hallstrom or Kolpack reads this and grills Bohl about these poor decisions.

Bison bison
09-05-2009, 02:15 PM

?

Give me an f'n break. You've never seen Perez, Mohler, or Jensen play.

BisoninNWMN
09-06-2009, 02:42 AM
1 game and we're finished.......:banghead: :banghead:

8-3

GO BISON

steelbison
09-06-2009, 02:56 AM
Oh yeah, my prediction after ISU........if Mertens stays QB throughout the season I see 5-6 (losses to ISU, SHSU, WIU, UNI, SIU and SDSU).

SD..you dare to put your money where your mouth is??

I am willing to bet you $1,000 that the bison finish the season with less than 5 losses...

steelbison
09-06-2009, 03:00 AM
[QUOTE=BisonTruth;299905]Bison wont win more then 3 games this year.

I wouldnt get to chipped up about a 34-17 lost to a bad Big 12 team. Iowa State is the worst FBS team we've played exept maybe Ball State

Seriously??? I went to every game and my personal opinion was this was the BEST team we have faced...not defensively..but the o-fense they put out on the field is going to score a LOT of points this year..their o-line is very good and the QB is the best we have ever faced...82)WR was a complete stud...

steelbison
09-06-2009, 03:01 AM
?

Give me an f'n break. You've never seen Perez, Mohler, or Jensen play.

NDB2...havent' you figured it out yet...these guys know way more than any coach that sees these guys every day...

lost in Fargo
09-06-2009, 03:12 AM
Ditto ditto, ditto.........what are the coaches thinking? Let Perez run a series at the end. Bet he scrambles and passes better than Mertens. Also a bad call by Vigen in mid Q4. 3rd and 3 near the 50. Calls for a pass down the middle 25 yards........something that Mertens completes 1 in 20 (of course he hangs his receiver out to get killed and the pass is incomplete). The O line owned the ISU D line and LB's. A 3 yard run was the minimum NDSU was getting at that point. Horrible play call.
Hope Hallstrom or Kolpack reads this and grills Bohl about these poor decisions.

First off there was more than one receiver that ran a route. Vigen had no part in who the QB threw the ball to, unless your heard him tell Nick , "throw the ball to Veldman"? As far as hanging the receiver out your crazy. The ball was thrown where it needed to be thrown without being intercepted. The receiver should have caught the ball, he is going to get hit either way. Just because a ball falls incomplete or a receiver has to go get a ball doesn't mean it was a bad throw. Nick threw the same ball on the TD pass and no one is complaining about that throw, becacuse our 6"7" TE went up and caught the ball just like he should have on the play you are referring to.

rutlandbison
09-06-2009, 03:17 AM
NDB2...havent' you figured it out yet...these guys know way more than any coach that sees these guys every day...
They get paid to type their opinions here!!!! They all get a headset for everygame and talk to Bohl and Vigen. You know, like those Buffalo Wild Wings commercials

bisonmike2
09-06-2009, 01:40 PM
ok, I literally have spent the past 5 nights in the middle of nowhere near Gartner Montana with no access to TV, radio or cell phone. I'm trying to catch up on how we did against ISU. This is my guestimation on our team, feel free to correct me if I'm off. I have not seen 1 clip of the game and only read a couple of forum articles.

1. Defense was dissapointing but ISU's offense may have been pretty good.
2. Our offense was impressive at times but ISU's defense may be pretty terrible.
3. Teams still use a magical kicker cheat code against us that lets them to routinely make 50 + yard fg's.
4. Mertens did not lose the game for us.
5. Mertens did nothing to win the game for us.

Gully
09-06-2009, 01:54 PM
ok, I literally have spent the past 5 nights in the middle of nowhere near Gartner Montana with no access to TV, radio or cell phone. I'm trying to catch up on how we did against ISU. This is my guestimation on our team, feel free to correct me if I'm off. I have not seen 1 clip of the game and only read a couple of forum articles.

1. Defense was dissapointing but ISU's offense may have been pretty good.
2. Our offense was impressive at times but ISU's defense may be pretty terrible.
3. Teams still use a magical kicker cheat code against us that lets them to routinely make 50 + yard fg's.
4. Mertens did not lose the game for us.
5. Mertens did nothing to win the game for us.

That is a pretty good summary....I was just thinking about the kicker thing this morning....seemed like no one EVER missed a FG against us last year. Of course there is no way to know this early but I think ISU might be a little better than some think. Granted, we gave the QB too much time, but he was very composed and accurate and can move well to keep plays alive.

gwfan
09-06-2009, 02:41 PM
special teams!!! special teams are bad....Coach has to name a new special teams coach.

tjbison
09-06-2009, 02:50 PM
special teams!!! special teams are bad....Coach has to name a new special teams coach.

Are you saying the head coach should step down from being the special teams coach and focus on being just a head coach and put a new Special teams coach in place just for special teams???;)

if thats what you meant I TOTALLY AGREE!!!:D

RRVBISON
09-06-2009, 03:01 PM
:nod: We maybe fine, but it's so difficult to say. We have to stop the turnovers and the silly penalties. they maybe our downfall. Lets hope our young team continues to improve throughout the course of the season and steals a win or two. If we improve and squeek into the playoffs, we maybe a tough out.

8-3, and play two playoff games.

Jdubs21
09-06-2009, 03:16 PM
still stickin with my origional 7-4

unbison
09-06-2009, 04:51 PM
if special teams play remains the same 5-6 is what we are looking at

CaBisonFan
09-06-2009, 05:04 PM
9-2 without big injuries to our key players...and a touch of luck. Not saying we're going to do it...but I'm saying that I believe in this team. The ISU game was a perfect place to start. The Bison showed that they can physically stay with a strong team. That was a very intimidating environment...and they hung in. Now...it's the little things that 'can' be worked on.

semobison
09-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Anything but making the playoffs will be a dissapointment! If we can get a decent passing game going, keep other teams D off balance there is no reason we cant win every game from here on out. I saw a very physical football team with some talent thursday night! If the offense is predictable, we could be in trouble. I dont think Mertens has the composure to be a leader, and the coaching staff doesnt have the confidence in him to open up the playbook! ....Another thing,...This talk about a having a down year, were rebuilding is bull$hit. This is NDSU, we dont rebuild, we reload! Look at Montana, App State, UNI! I expect us to compete for playoff spots and conference championships every year. A down year is when winning the national championship is a long shot! Since the early 80s, those have been my expectations, and Im not changing them now!

OldBison
09-06-2009, 07:09 PM

There is absolutely no way 7-4 gets into the playoffs, at least not until expansion happens.

OldBison
09-06-2009, 07:17 PM

We don't know if he can recruit, yet. Bohl is, after all, only coaching .500 ball with his recruits. I think the jury is still out on this one. It will be at least a year or two before we know if any of this recruiting classes can compete for a conference championship.

CaBisonFan
09-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Anything but making the playoffs will be a dissapointment! If we can get a decent passing game going, keep other teams D off balance there is no reason we cant win every game from here on out. I saw a very physical football team with some talent thursday night! If the offense is predictable, we could be in trouble. I dont think Mertens has the composure to be a leader, and the coaching staff doesnt have the confidence in him to open up the playbook! ....Another thing,...This talk about a having a down year, were rebuilding is bull$hit. This is NDSU, we dont rebuild, we reload! Look at Montana, App State, UNI! I expect us to compete for playoff spots and conference championships every year. A down year is when winning the national championship is a long shot! Since the early 80s, those have been my expectations, and Im not changing them now!

Perfectly stated by someone who understands Bison football. If you don't expect it...it won't happen. We expect it. Realism? Who needs it? It's about a game.

OldBison
09-06-2009, 07:20 PM
I was impressed with tonight's performance. Our D willl be an FCS top 10 unit for sure.

The DBs suck, badly. Even Breske talked about their lack of aggressiveness. UNI and Grace will have a field day with NDSUs defense.

steelbison
09-07-2009, 12:15 AM
The DBs suck, badly. Even Breske talked about their lack of aggressiveness. UNI and Grace will have a field day with NDSUs defense.

OldBison..it was the first game of the year!!! Let's give it some time before we make statements like that!!

Does Ohio State suck also??? How about Oklahoma???

Tatanka
09-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Well, Ohio State sucks, but that has nothing to do with how they played yesterday. Oklahoma? The same. :nod: :D

westnodak93bison
09-07-2009, 01:47 PM

I was at the game and it is not like our D line put any pressure on Arnaud.
No pressure, no huddle and a Big 12 spread offense will test any FCS secondary.

bisontwice
09-07-2009, 01:56 PM
After being at the ISU game and seeing how they played I feel much better about this team. I would agree with the earlier thread, get off Mertens-like it or not he is the best QB on the team at this time and I think we can win with him. 8-3

CarringtonBison
09-13-2009, 02:06 AM
okay, I change my mind. Our defense cannot stop anyone and teams will pass all over us all year.

4-7

I hate to be pessimistic, but the offense looked pretty good tonight; but the defense has consistently been poor and has not stopped anyone.

gotts
09-13-2009, 02:09 AM
okay, I change my mind. Our defense cannot stop anyone and teams will pass all over us all year.

4-7

I hate to be pessimistic, but the offense looked pretty good tonight; but the defense has consistently been poor and has not stopped anyone.

Being a realist isn't always pessimistic.

Jay
09-13-2009, 02:18 AM
Wagner = Win -- home
UNI = Loss -- home
SDSU = Loss -- road

Hey Bisonator, how do you like my prediction now?

Jay
09-13-2009, 05:55 AM
nothing yet from Bisonator, I am disappointed.

Bisonfan1
09-13-2009, 02:55 PM
SD..you dare to put your money where your mouth is??

I am willing to bet you $1,000 that the bison finish the season with less than 5 losses...

Is this bet still good ??

SDbison
09-13-2009, 03:20 PM
I am downright depressed about the near future of Bison football. I mean, this team will have to overachieve to have a 6-5 record. They will need a great effort with corrections in many areas to get to 5-6 and there is a chance if some areas don't get fixed and breaks don't go our way that 4-7 or 3-8 are possible. A total breakdown could happen with only victories at home against Wagner and Missouri State. Yes, 2-9, as this season could end up like 2002. Yuck!
My biggest concerns are the lack of depth throughout the defense, at QB, and even offensive line (talking about guys who have been around a while and got some play time to prove they will be good replacements). This also shows in special teams because apparently players are not stepping up. I don't believe the recruits NDSU is getting are as great as they are being advertised.
I also have questions and concerns about the decisions being made by the coaching staff that got Bison football to this point and the schemes being used on offense and defense. Seems like the players are either not executing well or the schemes are not working. It's not just great plays by the other teams.
Finally, its been 20 years since NDSU last won a national championship and forever since they hosted a playoff game. The so called tradition is fading and the need to live up to it is a distant memory. There is no swagger to this team. Whatever confidence there was from the Walker era disappeared in Wyoming last year. There also is no evidence of players stepping up to be leaders of the Bison football team during the past couple years.
For as much support from the university and the fans (students, alumni, teammakers, and others) there is definitely a lack of results and the Bison football program is now in trouble. I think we are 3 years at minimum (counting this year, if all goes well) from being able to make it to the playoffs. The coaches need to select their recruits better and there has to be some coaching changes (not just personnel, but what type of O or D is being played).
At this time there is no joy in Bisonville, the once mighty Bison look pathetic.
Oh and the positives........
Mertens looked good for one half of a game
Paschall is doing great
Th o-line is damn good
Voightlander could be great if utilized more

coldspot
09-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Oh and the positives........
Mertens looked good for one half of a game

:eek: are you okay?

SDbison
09-13-2009, 04:04 PM
:eek: are you okay?
Yeah ,considering the Bison have the first 0-2 start since 1981 I am hanging in there.......if you really care. As for your implication that I am now giving Mertens some credit, yes I am sane at this time. I still have concerns about Mertens, the overthrows and underthrows, and where was he in the first half (same goes for entire offense). Some of that blame does go to coaching calls too. So the verdict is still out on Mertens.....did he turn a corner and get some confidence that can be projected to the rest of the team? Also, can Mertens be somewhat consistent, have overall good games against good competition and maybe someday lead the Bison to a comeback victory when needed?

BTW, perceptions of me were overblown here about Mertens.......I never hated the guy I just wanted some better decisions and execution on the field and the attempt to soon try other QB options. Actually all the Mertens buddies on here teaming up to react negatively to ANY criticism of Mertens fanned the flames on Bisonville. The attack immediately started on ME if I brought up concerns that were valid and yes I lashed back at some of you. Sorry to burst your bubble.