PDA

View Full Version : Game thoughts

HerdBot
09-04-2009, 03:24 AM
I actually feel pretty good about the loss. The game was closer than the score indicated and it was anyones game up until the 3rd. The fumble in the endzone was devastating to our momentum. ISU played really well. Did you know they only committed 1 penalty all game? I'm fairly certain we could beat these guys with some luck and we put up nealry 400 yards of offense. We had some bad luck bounces too and some untimely penalties. Quite a few bad luck bounces.

It's just like I expected. We could run the ball at will. They could pass the ball at will. We played our game in the 1st half and right there. When we had to pass in the 2nd half and play their game we had a tough time.

This is a young team and will improve greatly as the season progresses. Opening against good competition will make them better.

MISC THOUGHTS
We missed Garrett Johnson big time because the pressure was not there. Shamen who? Rookie Sigers looked awesome!
Paschall may be an upgrade over Tyler Roehl
Holloway impressed
Nice to see Mertens run! I liked the option runs and they were effective. (I know CA digs them!)
Great play calling on offense
The O Line was dominating in the run game but need to work on pass protection.
Veldman made some drops. I hope it's just the jitters because he's a player.
What's up with the stupid penalties? 3 offsides?
Great showing by a young team. We should start to peak later in the year when it really counts.

DjKyRo
09-04-2009, 03:29 AM
True that - we didn't get blown out and the game wasn't over until the fourth quarter. Against a Big XII team, even Iowa State, I am not disappointed. We could've won, yes, but we certainly could've done a hell of a lot worse. Overall it was a good game.

HooliganBison
09-04-2009, 03:30 AM
My thoughts on the game are:
1. Offense looked better than I thought they would.
2. I liked the new wrinkles put in the offense.
3. Defense was simply outmatched.
4. Even the good Big 12 schools have trouble slowing down the spread, they just try to outscore eachother which is something we clearly will not do.
5. The Freshman that did play contributed nicely.
6. Turnover's and penalties will ruin any teams night and they both were against us.
7. Paschall looked very good.

tony
09-04-2009, 03:34 AM
My thoughts on the game are:
1. Offense looked better than I thought they would.
2. I liked the new wrinkles put in the offense.
3. Defense was simply outmatched.
4. Even the good Big 12 schools have trouble slowing down the spread, they just try to outscore eachother which is something we clearly will not do.
5. The Freshman that did play contributed nicely.
6. Turnover's and penalties will ruin any teams night and they both were against us.
7. Paschall looked very good.

What he wrote. Can't even add anything to it.

BisonNolesFan77
09-04-2009, 03:43 AM
Nice post Gabe, a couple of my thoughts to add in there...

I will cut the OLine a little slack on the sacks they gave at the end, ISU knew we had to throw the ball, so they took advantage of their speed on D and could pin their ears back and bring it.

Veldman made a couple of damn good catches too...the one Mertens threw at his kness and he brought it in while running, and the TD catch were both nice. I only recall one that he should have caught that he didnt...

Sigers is going to be a player...I would have liked to see a little more DJ tonight though too, but I'm sure that time will come.

I was hoping Titus Mack would have made a little bit more of an impact, but I think he will come on as the year gets going more being a JUCO and all.

Preston Evans = Flat Out PTP'er! Stealing Dick V. quote there!

Penalties need to go...cost us there big time!

I didn't any of our DE's names too much, that def. needs to change...

tjbison
09-04-2009, 03:43 AM
What he wrote. Can't even add anything to it.

I can the TE's played well when they were utilized!!

DjKyRo
09-04-2009, 03:44 AM
Stealing Dick V. quote there!

PTP'er BAY-BEEEE!!

:)

TheBisonator
09-04-2009, 03:55 AM
Players who really impressed me tonight:

Paschall
Holloway
Evans
Bibeau
Sigers
Veldman (his TD catch at least)

I think we can get really good, but it's my opinion that Mertens is holding us back.

BisonNolesFan77
09-04-2009, 03:58 AM
Players who really impressed me tonight:

Paschall
Holloway
Evans
Bibeau
Sigers
Veldman (his TD catch at least)

I think we can get really good, but it's my opinion that Mertens is holding us back.

Maybe throw Matt Anderson in there as well? Seemed like he was around the ball very often tonight.

HerdBot
09-04-2009, 04:05 AM
Nice post Gabe, a couple of my thoughts to add in there...

I will cut the OLine a little slack on the sacks they gave at the end, ISU knew we had to throw the ball, so they took advantage of their speed on D and could pin their ears back and bring it.

Veldman made a couple of damn good catches too...the one Mertens threw at his kness and he brought it in while running, and the TD catch were both nice. I only recall one that he should have caught that he didnt...

Sigers is going to be a player...I would have liked to see a little more DJ tonight though too, but I'm sure that time will come.

I was hoping Titus Mack would have made a little bit more of an impact, but I think he will come on as the year gets going more being a JUCO and all.

Preston Evans = Flat Out PTP'er! Stealing Dick V. quote there!

Penalties need to go...cost us there big time!

I didn't any of our DE's names too much, that def. needs to change...

Your right on Veldman. He really redeemed himself after his first drop on 3rd down. That dropped annoyed me so much that I completely forgot about his great play. So let's give props to Mr Veldman.

AEBison1998
09-04-2009, 05:08 AM
A couple interesting items.

Gary Williams limped off the field in the first series and did not come back. Titus Mack ended up playing most of the game. How many more WR's are we going to lose????

In the third quarter Darius Colvin was replaced by Gatlin. I"m not sure if there was an injury or that Colvin was getting picked on for the 10 yard outs.

Bowman was beat three different times deep, two pass interference and one long touchdown pass. CB's were not doing making plays.

The D line was substituting liberally in both DE and DT. They were playing 8 guys in a rotation to stay fresh.

BisonNolesFan77
09-04-2009, 05:13 AM
A couple interesting items.

Gary Williams limped off the field in the first series and did not come back. Titus Mack ended up playing most of the game. How many more WR's are we going to lose????

In the third quarter Darius Colvin was replaced by Gatlin. I"m not sure if there was an injury or that Colvin was getting picked on for the 10 yard outs.

Bowman was beat three different times deep, two pass interference and one long touchdown pass. CB's were not doing making plays.

The D line was substituting liberally in both DE and DT. They were playing 8 guys in a rotation to stay fresh.

Gary Williams was in street clothes and had a brace on his knee in the 2nd half...probably find out more in the coming days...Bohl said that Mack tweaked his ankle a bit.

CarringtonBison
09-04-2009, 05:15 AM
i agree that the D Backs hurt us, Bowman got burned several times and as a group they tackled poorly. The rest of the team tackled pretty well.

Offense will be improved. They had some nice drives that were sustained, but did not produce points.

Team appeared poised, but made some mistakes with penalties. Two turnovers were costly-14 points off of these.

Special teams were better except kickoff coverage-need to tighten that up a bit.

We had opportunities to get back into the game, but didn't finish when we had the chance.

Tailgating was great, beautiful day; fun IA State fans.

Couple of injuries-hope they are not serious.

ndsubison1
09-04-2009, 05:19 AM

Not too worried about that... that's a good thing, we have depth on the defensive front

Tatanka
09-04-2009, 02:28 PM
The good:
* Mertens improved. That is all.
* Sigers. Wow.
* Veldman!
* Preston Evans. AWESOME.
* Play calling on offense. Like the variety and the new sets. Even broke out the option.

The bad:
* Penalties. WTF.
* Not to open a can of worms, but there were some terrible non-calls from the officials ON BOTH SIDES of the ball. ISU penalty free until 1:30 to go in the game? Hmmmmm... Also some pretty weak ball spots. Not saying, just saying.
* Special teams. WTF?

The ugly:
* The herd of ISU cheerleaders. Even Mrs. Tatanka commented that most of them should wear less revealing clothing. I know there's some giant pig farms near Ames, are they off on their head count? Seriously though, damn!
* Veldman getting pwn3d across the middle in the 2nd half. Good QBs don't put their receivers in that kind of situation very often. Need receivers focused on catching the ball not worrying about the massive collision that awaits them when they're not looking.
* Bison WR injuries...

mebisonII
09-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Competing threads, and I want to get in on both :) See link for my (rather verbose) post-game thoughts:

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showpost.php?p=299774&postcount=13

siouxdgj
09-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Bison played extremely well against a Big XII team. Big XII is arguably the second best football conference after the Southeastern Conference, so the performance by the Bison was most commendable. My hat's off to NDSU for keeping it close and interesting. The fumble down by the goal line could possibly have changed everything. NDSU has nothing--absolutely nothing--to be ashamed of. Good show.

westnodak93bison
09-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Bison played extremely well against a Big XII team. Big XII is arguably the second best football conference after the Southeastern Conference, so the performance by the Bison was most commendable. My hat's off to NDSU for keeping it close and interesting. The fumble down by the goal line could possibly have changed everything. NDSU has nothing--absolutely nothing--to be ashamed of. Good show.

yeah they kind of held their own but again when the pressure is on Mertens doesnt come through. His accuracy in the 2nd half was poor imho. I would have given Perez a shot. I just dont think Nick has the leadership abilities, just doesnt have "it". What the hell is with the stupid off sides penalties on kick offs?

KTF
09-04-2009, 05:45 PM
yeah they kind of held their own but again when the pressure is on Mertens doesnt come through. His accuracy in the 2nd half was poor imho. I would have given Perez a shot. I just dont think Nick has the leadership abilities, just doesnt have "it". What the hell is with the stupid off sides penalties on kick offs?

These penalties were on two freshman that are thrid string guys, it sucked but I expect that they will have this fixed for next week.

SDbison
09-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Mertens still can't pass worth a crap. his passes are all over the place. as long as he is qb the bison offense will be one dimensional

westnodak93bison
09-04-2009, 06:12 PM
the 2nd biggest play of the game imho, other than the fumble on the 1yd line was the dropped interception by Kittleson, that would have been extra 30-40yds at a crucial time in the game

Herd
09-04-2009, 09:29 PM
My observations for things to improve:

Kickoff returns were not at full speed. Too many blockers directly in front of Sigers and Gatlin. They were running lateral at less than full speed. That equated to returns to the 20 when they caught the ball at the 10, not good. Give them some space, get to full speed, go north south then break outside. We should have been starting beyond the 30 with regularity.

Recivers were not getting open and getting separation. Thought Mertens made some nices passes into tight spots, but his receivers were not very open. WR's need to stretch the field, I don't remember a deep pass. At 6'7, Vedman was always open, gotta love the next 3 years.:nod:

Would like to see more press coverage by DB's, or at least gamble a little on occaision. Too soft, and still got beat for one. This will improve, I think our DB were better than last night.

DB's need to play physical like the rest of the Defense. Did not seem like DB's had a physical presence, although tackling was not too bad. I though DB's were a strength, but last night showed that group as the biggest opportunity to improve.

NDSUFan_Sav
09-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Gary Williams was in street clothes and had a brace on his knee in the 2nd half...probably find out more in the coming days...Bohl said that Mack tweaked his ankle a bit.

yeah he tweaked it in the 1st half and stayed in a bit but must of been bothering him.

tjbison
09-04-2009, 10:01 PM
yeah he tweaked it in the 1st half and stayed in a bit but must of been bothering him.

thoght they said a strained MCL??

walknroehl
09-04-2009, 10:13 PM
BTW how does our kicker save that TD return and their announcer not even mention him. I'll be Bibeau is PO'd!

17>1
09-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Just got back from Ames. First oppurtunity to post something on here so I'll cover everything in one post.

Pre-game: Thought the tailgating was amazing and looked like all 48,000 people were out there. ISU fans were friendly and very generous. Didn't get one negative comment directed towards us the entire time.

Game: Very excited about alot of things and the talent we have. Not sure if Mertens is the guy right now. I will say he played pretty well for him but I think we need more out of our QB. For example, he can't seem to lead a receiver at all. Guys need to be able to catch the ball on the run out in the flat so they can get the corner and not get upended as soon as they get control of the ball. WR corp is thin but thought some passes could have been better, for there were a couple that were way off the mark. Holloway looked really good. Coaches calling an option with Mertens taking it himself and trying to score from 3 yards out, yikes. Get behind the rams and run it with Voight or Pat. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and the stadium. Stood on the hill right next to Bison central. If anyone wants to know who the fat dude with green body paint and the Bison flag/cape on his back was...it was me. I got asked to stand in for like 10 pictures.....craziness. Looking forward to this season and to see what we can do when we get into the FCS schedule.

Post game: Not much to report, except people were still very respectful and nice and I would definitely go back.

SDbison
09-05-2009, 01:24 AM
D line and LB's look great
O line and RB's look great

Secondary questionable
WR's questionable

Special teams bad news
QB bad news

One reason the D struggles late in a game is because they are out there all the time. Too many 3 and outs and an occasional first down does not allow enough time to rest the D.

SDbison
09-05-2009, 01:30 AM
Great atmosphere at ISU. Their fans were decent except for 3 ISU turds that somehow got their seats in the middle of the Bison section. Had an awesome tailgate experience and met a bunch of NDSU and ISU fans.
Message to Gene Taylor........start making a long range plan to get to FBS in 8 to 10 years. Also start researching what it would take to build a 35K horseshoe shaped outdoor stadium (similar to what ISU has without the upper deck). Go Bison!

westnodak93bison
09-05-2009, 02:23 AM
Great atmosphere at ISU. Their fans were decent except for 3 ISU turds that somehow got their seats in the middle of the Bison section. Had an awesome tailgate experience and met a bunch of NDSU and ISU fans.
Message to Gene Taylor........start making a long range plan to get to FBS in 8 to 10 years. Also start researching what it would take to build a 35K horseshoe shaped outdoor stadium (similar to what ISU has without the upper deck). Go Bison!

How about the piss poor alumni gathering at the Gateway Hotel. Reminded me of a high school dance or lame wedding reception. IMHO, if we are gonna have an alumni gathering why not designate a popular sports bar and take the place over for a day. If the weather is expected to be nice then choose a place with indoor/outdoor space.

stevdock
09-05-2009, 02:26 AM

We lose our first game of the season and the talk starts about moving up?? What's wrong with this picture??

56BISON73
09-05-2009, 02:27 AM
How about the piss poor alumni gathering at the Gateway Hotel. Reminded me of a high school dance or lame wedding reception. IMHO, if we are gonna have an alumni gathering why not designate a popular sports bar and take the place over for a day. If the weather is expected to be nice then choose a place with indoor/outdoor space.

Nobody showed up after the game???? Hell I forgot all about it untill I was back at the hotel and in bed.

SDbison
09-05-2009, 02:50 AM
We lose our first game of the season and the talk starts about moving up?? What's wrong with this picture??
I just enjoy the atmosphere at the top college football level.......no reason it couldn't be supported in Fargo. If you were there, which I know you were not, you might understand. Of course before something can be obtained it must first be contemplated by those in leadership positions (like what Joe Chapman has done with NDSU). My comment had nothing to do with how this game was played, its outcome, or Bison football success in future years.

MNLonghorn10
09-05-2009, 02:54 AM
i was off by 3 points in the prediction thread(i though itd be 34-14)

like everyones probably mentioned, the goal line fumble was a crappy deal.

the 50 yard fg(which are pretyt rare in college) would've been great if he missed. down 7 with the ball on their 40sh wouldve been sweet.

bison played a good game. preston evans seems legit.

BlueBisonRock
09-05-2009, 06:44 AM

Too much optimism I guess. :D

tjbison
09-05-2009, 12:57 PM
I just enjoy the atmosphere at the top college football level.......no reason it couldn't be supported in Fargo. If you were there, which I know you were not, you might understand. Of course before something can be obtained it must first be contemplated by those in leadership positions (like what Joe Chapman has done with NDSU). My comment had nothing to do with how this game was played, its outcome, or Bison football success in future years.

Especially with the extra Schollys, we win that game at ISU!! IMO:hide:

BisonNeil
09-05-2009, 02:04 PM
One reason the D struggles late in a game is because they are out there all the time. Too many 3 and outs and an occasional first down does not allow enough time to rest the D.

Actually, the Bison had the ball for about 6 min longer than ISU had it.

SDbison
09-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Actually, the Bison had the ball for about 6 min longer than ISU had it.
I said the D wears out LATE in the game due to being out there too long. I doubt NDSU had the ball more than ISU from late Q3 through the end of the game.

Bisonguy
09-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I said the D wears out LATE in the game due to being out there too long. I doubt NDSU had the ball more than ISU from late Q3 through the end of the game.

Actually, NDSU dominated in TOP in the 3Q and 4Q, much more than the first half

NDSU ISU
Possession Time............... 33:18 26:42
1st Quarter................. 6:15 8:45
2nd Quarter................. 7:47 7:13
3rd Quarter................. 10:24 4:36
4th Quarter................. 8:52 6:08

silkamilkamonico
09-05-2009, 09:38 PM

NDSU ISU

I couldn't watch the game. Was it a good ball control offense or was big plays for ISU? I was checking in on the score and it sounded like ISU was accumulating some major yards in the second half of the game, which tells me we dominated the TOP but only because their offense covered alot of ground in short periods of time. But I couldn't watch the game so I don't know.

tony
09-07-2009, 06:48 PM

Using that logic, NDSU would still be in D2. That said, as so many programs have shown, anybody can move to the FBS and suck. Moving up and being successful takes a whole new level of commitment. NDSU would need a whole new level of fund raising, a new stadium and a conference. On the flip side, would winning this game mean NDSU should move up? I don't think we should subscribe to the Chicken Little School of Long-Term Planning.

BisoninNWMN
09-07-2009, 08:05 PM

NDSU ISU

Interesting stat.......thanks!!

We can run the ball, no arguing that. Get the short and mid range passing game going consistently......long ball to keep the D honest.....Bison can be a very good team.

tjbison
09-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Interesting stat.......thanks!!

We can run the ball, no arguing that. Get the short and mid range passing game going consistently......long ball to keep the D honest.....Bison can be a very good team.

it sounds like SHSU is about as horrible as us on the pass defense:hide:

X-Factor
09-07-2009, 08:19 PM
I thought the O and D lines played REALLY well with the exception of a few of the backup D-ends that got worked hardcore and #75 that gave up way too many sacks and QB pressures.

Need to work on special teams....which has been the case going on 4 years now. Nothing new there. My best guess is that we can expect more of the same.

P^2 playing like a man on a mission to be #1 RB in MVFC. Well on his way

Veldman is going to be something special. I imagine NFL scouts are already starting to sniff around.

Mertens showed some improvement over last year. Still, some errant throws and he needs plenty of work. The throw where he overthrew a leaping and outstretched Veldman by at least a foot sticks out in my mind. How do you miss a guy 6'7" by that much? The truth is I probably can't make that throw but I'm also not on a full ride scholarship to play football :D

Using that logic, NDSU would still be in D2. That said, as so many programs have shown, anybody can move to the FBS and suck. Moving up and being successful takes a whole new level of commitment. NDSU would need a whole new level of fund raising, a new stadium and a conference. On the flip side, would winning this game mean NDSU should move up? I don't think we should subscribe to the Chicken Little School of Long-Term Planning.

++