PDA

View Full Version : First and Ten NDSU

IzzyFlexion
09-01-2009, 09:18 PM
OK all of you cyber O-Coordinators, it's the 1st series of downs on Thursday night. Call your first few plays for the Bison offense.
Use any scenario that you want to get the chains moved for the first time. (if at all):hide:

SDbison
09-01-2009, 09:33 PM
completed pass over the middle for 15 yards.
completed play action pass for 8 yards.
fake hand off and complete pass for a long gain.

short pass
4 yard run
short pass (first down)

7 yard run
5 yard run (first down)

pass for TD

rutlandbison
09-01-2009, 09:36 PM
INT.........:hide: :hide:

NDSUstudent
09-01-2009, 09:37 PM
1st down- Mertens play action rollout(with a run option), pass complete for 12 yards to Veldman.

1st down- Paschall up the middle for 5 yards

2nd down- Paschall to the edge for 4 yards

3rd down- Mertens, deep pass to Williams, touchdown Bison!

Iowa State never knew what hit em, Bison en route to 27-21 victory.

coldspot
09-01-2009, 09:38 PM
first play: PA pass (get mertens out of the pocket to show that he can run and he can be a threat on the ground)
second play: WR quick slants (work the west coast passing game)
third play: HB dive (back to back pass plays pulls the secondary back out of run protection and opens up some big holes up the middle)

im no craig bohl nor do i have any clue how to run an offense, but thats what madden would tell me to do in his game.

WYOBISONMAN
09-01-2009, 09:39 PM
INT.........:hide: :hide:

Now, Now......we gotta give Mertens a real shot at this. I hope like hell the kid proves himself.

NDSUFan_Sav
09-01-2009, 09:40 PM

short pass
4 yard run
short pass (first down)

7 yard run
5 yard run (first down)

pass for TD

with not liking mertens/confident in him you sure like the passing plays :D

imo from what i've seen at practice we'll be doing some short passes and runs for the most part hopefully that opens up a deep ball to warren!

I would personally like a 4-6 yd pass to the TEs towards the sideline or in the middle, then a play action pass for the remaining yards to have "thats a bison first down....move those chains" then start out with a run with DJ mcnorton, hope for 4 yards then another short pass then a 1 yard run for the 1st down. and keep moving those chains, we'll get stuck in their redzone and Bibeau will nail a 34 yard fg to put the Bison up 3-0

NDSUFan_Sav
09-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Now, Now......we gotta give Mertens a real shot at this. I hope like hell the kid proves himself.

^^^^this^^^^^^

SDbison
09-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Sav when do you expect to get to Ames and who you coming with.......head over to the SDbison tailgate for a beer and a shot...........

NDSUFan_Sav
09-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Sav when do you expect to get to Ames and who you coming with.......head over to the SDbison tailgate for a beer and a shot...........

its in the works....either with some friends that are heading to Vermilion or maybe slick and i might have to head to your place in Sioux Falls then drive over to ames in his town car....definitely in need of some tix, cydave said there will be bunch of people selling at game day or can probably purchase some at the door and last resort get hillside then move our asses to where bison fans....if i show up don't expect me to be sitting at all.

HerdBot
09-01-2009, 10:09 PM
OK all of you cyber O-Coordinators, it's the 1st series of downs on Thursday night. Call your first few plays for the Bison offense.
Use any scenario that you want to get the chains moved for the first time. (if at all):hide:

5 step drop deep incomplete gain zero
Bubble screen to slot receiver gain 15
5 step drop playaction deep slant gain 20
Quick hitch to wr gain 5
Draw play paschall. Gain 4
3rd and 1 playaction hit veldman for a td seam endzone td

SDbison
09-01-2009, 10:15 PM
5 step drop deep incomplete gain zero
Bubble screen to slot receiver gain 15
5 step drop playaction deep slant gain 20
Quick hitch to wr gain 5
Draw play paschall. Gain 4
3rd and 1 playaction hit veldman for a td seam endzone td
Thats what I want to see......throw the damn ball until ISU is wondering where the hell NDSU came up with a passing game*......then set them up with play action, some screens and draw plays. Mix in running plays that will leave them completely off balance.

* or until Mertens throws 3 interceptions (whichever comes first).

OrygunBison
09-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Veer right for 8 yards.

Veer left for 9 yards.

Veer right for 7 yards.

Veer left with an option pass to DJ out of the backfield for a TD.

Repeat.

CaBisonFan
09-01-2009, 11:20 PM

1. Paschall gets the first run of the year up the middle for 3 yards.
2. Pass to Voigtlander, short out-pattern for 5 yards.
3. Paschall off-tackle for first down.

Gully
09-01-2009, 11:44 PM
1.) Play action pass, rollout, hit fullback in the flat for a good first play.

2.) Play action pass, comeback to wide out.

3.) Power run with PP.

X-Factor
09-02-2009, 12:23 AM

I agree 100%. Lets give him a chance. We need to back this team as much as we can. The problem is....look at the schedule. We start out @Iowa State @Sam Houston St . Wagner @Southern Illinois

That is a tough skid, and a win against Wagner doesn't mean squat. Go 1-3 in that stretch and I don't see any realistic way that there isn't a big change. Mertens has been given a second chance and he is being thrown into the gauntlet right out of the gate. Lets all hope he can shut up the critics and help lead us to some W's starting with ISU!!

BisonCountry
09-02-2009, 02:57 AM
Flea Flicker TD Pass to Warren H.

TransAmBison
09-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I almost guarantee a run for the first play. If it is a pass it will be short. Absolutely no way will Bohl start with a pass over 10 yards. This is the west coast offense with short passes. Ball control. We have a qb that needs to prove himself and even gain game time confidence. It will be a run, followed by more running and shorter passes for a little while. Mark it down.*

*I sat down with Bohl and he explained the whole game plan to Lakes and I. I just couldn't keep my mouth shut like Lakes. :D

CaBisonFan
09-02-2009, 12:58 PM
I agree TransAm. Handoff to Pat on the first play. I hope that he can find some seams and exploit that early. If he does, along with Voigt...we could be in the game. If it becomes a passing drill...then we could have a long night. We have to do the 'Minnesota' routine with them in terms of running the ball. Need long, sustained drives to keep ISU's spread off the field and give our 'D' a chance. If that happens, then watch for one or two over the top. Bring 'em up...over the top. First down yardage is huge.

HerdBot
09-02-2009, 01:41 PM
I agree TransAm. Handoff to Pat on the first play. I hope that he can find some seams and exploit that early. If he does, along with Voigt...we could be in the game. If it becomes a passing drill...then we could have a long night. We have to do the 'Minnesota' routine with them in terms of running the ball. Need long, sustained drives to keep ISU's spread off the field and give our 'D' a chance. If that happens, then watch for one or two over the top. Bring 'em up...over the top. First down yardage is huge.

They will put 8-9 men in a box is very good so we'll need to figure out how to throw quickly.

stevdock
09-02-2009, 01:52 PM
First play of the game, dive up the middle with a cut back option to the right. PP finds the hole to the right, breaks it outside 75 yards later in the end zone. Most of us saw that play on Monday right?? Make it happen again :)

CaBisonFan
09-02-2009, 01:57 PM
First play of the game, dive up the middle with a cut back option to the right. PP finds the hole to the right, breaks it outside 75 yards later in the end zone. Most of us saw that play on Monday right?? Make it happen again :)

Paschall has to carry the team and stay healthy. It's his year to shine, and he has the ability to do it. He hits the hole hard and doesn't go down easily. Voigt will be a great second option...along with DJ. We have a very good backfield.

HerdBot
09-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Veer right for 8 yards.

Veer left for 9 yards.

Veer right for 7 yards.

Veer left with an option pass to DJ out of the backfield for a TD.

Repeat.

Rep points!

HerdBot
09-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Thats what I want to see......throw the damn ball until ISU is wondering where the hell NDSU came up with a passing game*......then set them up with play action, some screens and draw plays. Mix in running plays that will leave them completely off balance.

* or until Mertens throws 3 interceptions (whichever comes first).

Need to roll Mertens out with plays designed to let him run because the guy is really fast and talented running the ball. Play to his strenghts. He ran for 60 yards vs SDSU last year. How about some designed QB draws!

mplscyclone
09-02-2009, 03:28 PM

short pass
4 yard run
short pass (first down)

7 yard run
5 yard run (first down)

pass for TD

You're going to start off with a pass, then play action, then another play action?

You realize you are going to have to run the ball successfully a few times before you can open up play action. If you complete a 15 yarder on 1st Down, the D will be looking for the pass on the next first down...

HerdBot
09-02-2009, 03:32 PM
You're going to start off with a pass, then play action, then another play action?

You realize you are going to have to run the ball successfully a few times before you can open up play action. If you complete a 15 yarder on 1st Down, the D will be looking for the pass on the next first down...

So your saying that the defense won't be focusing in on the run? We're one of the most run first offenses in all of college football.

mplscyclone
09-02-2009, 03:44 PM
So your saying that the defense won't be focusing in on the run? We're one of the most run first offenses in all of college football.

Exactly, so why are you opening up with 3 passes? What I am saying is that if on the first play you throw a 15 yarder for a first down, they will realize that pass is an option on first down. Doing another two passes, make no sense.

Now, if you did something like run for 3, run for 4, pass for 3 (first down), run for 5, then playaction, that makes a lot of sense.

HerdBot
09-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Exactly, so why are you opening up with 3 passes? What I am saying is that if on the first play you throw a 15 yarder for a first down, they will realize that pass is an option on first down. Doing another two passes, make no sense.

Now, if you did something like run for 3, run for 4, pass for 3 (first down), run for 5, then playaction, that makes a lot of sense.

That's way too predicitible. You need to loosen up the defense by throwing deep. Just to send a message. It doesn't even have to be complete. You kind of made my point. ISU will put 8 in the box. Like you said if you throw they won't put 8 in a box. Then we can go to work

HandoEX
09-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Paschall off left tackle.
Paschall off right tackle.
DJ off left tackle.
1st down.
Mertens roll out pass to Veldman.
Paschall off left tackle.
1st down.
Play action.
Voigt off left tackle.

I'd like to see the offense bring back the inside screen! With the speed on the edge, this could be huge if we get some nice blocking to set it up. We have had a lot of success with that in the past.

mplscyclone
09-02-2009, 04:17 PM
That's way too predicitible. You need to loosen up the defense by throwing deep. Just to send a message. It doesn't even have to be complete. You kind of made my point. ISU will put 8 in the box. Like you said if you throw they won't put 8 in a box. Then we can go to work

I hear a bunch of fans say "we're a run first team, we need to grind it out, control the clock, limit turnovers, etc..."

Then I hear you saying "you gotta loosen up the defense by throwing deep"

Which way is it then? You can't have it both ways lol.

The fact that ISU's DBs are bigger (weight-wise) than your WRs, the fact your QB throws more than 1 INT per game, mixed with the fact that the WRs have very little experience, I doubt in a road game like this, NDSU goes deep to start off the game.

HerdBot
09-02-2009, 04:32 PM
I hear a bunch of fans say "we're a run first team, we need to grind it out, control the clock, limit turnovers, etc..."

The fact that ISU's DBs are bigger (weight-wise) than your WRs, the fact your QB throws more than 1 INT per game, mixed with the fact that the WRs have very little experience, I doubt in a road game like this, NDSU goes deep to start off the game.

You're thinking in too simple of terms my man.

bisonaudit
09-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Man in Black: All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.
Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You've made your decision then?
Vizzini: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.
Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Vizzini: Wait til I get going! Now, where was I?
Man in Black: Australia.
Vizzini: Yes, Australia. And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You're just stalling now.
Vizzini: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work.
Vizzini: IT HAS WORKED! YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHERE THE POISON IS!
Man in Black: Then make your choice.
Vizzini: I will, and I choose - What in the world can that be?
Vizzini: [Vizzini gestures up and away from the table. Roberts looks. Vizzini swaps the goblets]
Man in Black: What? Where? I don't see anything.
Vizzini: Well, I- I could have sworn I saw something. No matter.First, let's drink. Me from my glass, and you from yours.
Man in Black, Vizzini: [they drink ]
Man in Black: You guessed wrong.
Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...
Vizzini: [Vizzini stops suddenly, and falls dead to the right]
Buttercup: And to think, all that time it was your cup that was poisoned.
Man in Black: They were both poisoned. I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

TheBisonator
09-02-2009, 05:13 PM
1/10: Screen pass to Voightlander for 6 yards
2/4: Left sweep to Paschall for 5 yards

Lather, rinse, repeat. Move the chains Canadian style.

HandoEX
09-02-2009, 05:13 PM
^^^ BisonAudit: One of the greatest movies ever made!!!!!

IzzyFlexion
09-02-2009, 08:12 PM

Do you think that a SS in a "stacked box" scenario negates some this DB size and experience level? Creates more one on one coverages and decreases the personnell available to prowl the secondary for picks?

mplscyclone
09-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Do you think that a SS in a "stacked box" scenario negates some this DB size and experience level? Creates more one on one coverages and decreases the personnell available to prowl the secondary for picks?

On the defense, I would say our CBs are our strength. While the chances of a pick are lower, I have confidence they will be able to stay with your WRs. One of our CBs (Leonard Johnson) was one of the top returners in the Big 12 last year.

If we stack 8 in the box and NDSU passes, there are going to be several guys getting into your backfield quickly, just from the fact your OL will be out numbered. Your QB won't have all day to make a deep pass in that scenario.

HerdBot
09-02-2009, 11:37 PM
On the defense, I would say our CBs are our strength. While the chances of a pick are lower, I have confidence they will be able to stay with your WRs. One of our CBs (Leonard Johnson) was one of the top returners in the Big 12 last year.

If we stack 8 in the box and NDSU passes, there are going to be several guys getting into your backfield quickly, just from the fact your OL will be out numbered. Your QB won't have all day to make a deep pass in that scenario.
Where did you get that logic from? John Madden?

NDSUstudent
09-02-2009, 11:44 PM

Mertens throws a pretty good deep ball(most of his interceptions are to the middle of the field), if ISU is stacking the box I could see a deep ball early.

A1pigskin
09-02-2009, 11:55 PM
The first play will be a hand off to PP. Gain 2 yards.

Second play short pass to fullback. Gain 5 yards.

Third play Mertens runs for 1st down and makes it.

The first play on the next series will be a long pass. Mertens will be on the money and gain 30 to 40 yards.

Scooter1
09-03-2009, 12:16 AM
1st play.... Shotgun formation, let their best player through... Mertens pass into his nuts...everyone dogpile... 15 yard penalty.

2nd play.... Shotgun formation, let their best player through... Mertens pass into his nuts...everyone dog pile...15 yard penalty.

3rd play...Shotgun formation, Mertens pass into umpire's nuts..."let's call a fair game, ref" comment...(wet willie given)

4th play Punt.

A1pigskin
09-03-2009, 12:19 AM
I could see us passing it right away to boost Mertens confidence. A short 5 yard will be just fine.

Kevin
09-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Play action post route. You want to get his confidence up, go big. At least then if he misses it's half way reasonable. I'd hate to see him overthrow a 5 yard slant just out of nerves.

I think the offense will be fine. My only hope is that they open up the playbook a little, and get creative in the calling. My friend and I used to try and guess what they'd run on 1st and 10 and one of us was usually right. If two drunk bastards had a pretty good idea I have a feeling the opposing coaching staff did as well.