PDA

View Full Version : Questions about gobison.com webcast

Kevin
09-01-2009, 09:59 AM
I seem to recall a lot of people in the game day threads (which I frequented) complaining about losing the feed, or being minutes behind what was actually going on. Is this common? Is there commentary attached to the video because if not wouldn't the lag make it impossible to listen to with the radio along with the feed?

I've obviously never used the feature, but I'm really considering it for this game (which I can't believe isn't being televised in the first place) but I'd rather just listen to the radio if it's just going to ruin the game for everyone here.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I can repay in beer at the first tailgate.

CaBisonFan
09-01-2009, 10:23 AM
I seem to recall a lot of people in the game day threads (which I frequented) complaining about losing the feed, or being minutes behind what was actually going on. Is this common? Is there commentary attached to the video because if not wouldn't the lag make it impossible to listen to with the radio along with the feed?

I've obviously never used the feature, but I'm really considering it for this game (which I can't believe isn't being televised in the first place) but I'd rather just listen to the radio if it's just going to ruin the game for everyone here.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I can repay in beer at the first tailgate.

Hi Kevin,

I've used it several times. It's probably been about 3 out of 4 decent ones. If I've ever had a problem, they've refunded me if I bug them enough. It's definitely worth it, in my book. Try the one-month option for something like $5.95. If you have some speakers for your computer you might consider getting those up and running. The audio can be a little soft. The delay in time relates to using the video off the computer and then using the Bison radio broadcast for the play by play. It can be several seconds if you do it that way. I'd just use the play by play that the gobison.com feed uses. You usually get the announcers from the away team...sometimes good, sometimes bad. Yes, there is audio (announcers).

CA

tjbison
09-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Get it even if its bad like CA they will refund, but this webcast is produced by the Cyclones so I'm hoping being the "big time" school they are the feed and audio will be good!

Herd
09-01-2009, 05:22 PM
The NDSU internet feeds have been OK, but you don't really know the score or the Time of game very well, till the radio guys tell you.

However, when NDSU receives feeds from other schools, as will be the case on Thursday night, they are sometimes very good (Ball State) and sometimes not very good. I expect the internet feed from Iowa State will be very good and professional without interruption. NDSU will simply be paying a fee to get ISU's internet feed, which I appreciate very much. Without televising the game in ND, ISU owes us that much, although I'm sure NDSU pays a handsome sum.

cydave
09-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Here's a little info I pulled up from our message boards, regarding the feed quiality, etc. Not sure if its the same for you or what goes on with it, but you might want to read it as some of it might pertain to you.

Here is some technical advice regarding the streaming of the game - some people will want to pay attention to bullet 4 (connecting computer to other devices)

1. Stream distribution: For the first time, Iowa State fans will see a flash stream. NDSU fans will see a Windows Media stream because they share the same web provider as us, but don't have flash capabilities in the their video player. Both streams will show up in our media player, but ISU fans are encouraged to use flash. You can actually use either stream, but the flash will be slightly better quality.

2. Stream quality: The flash feed will stream at 700k per second and the Windows Media stream will be at 600k per second. If you CANNOT download at a rate faster than 800k a second, you will have troubles watching the webcast. Visit this site. If you have more than 800k of download speed you are fine. I cannot send the stream through at a higher quality as it risks alienating 1.0 to 1.5 mbps DSL-internet users. Between our stream and NDSU, I'm sending through almost 1.5mb per second of data (thank goodness for ISU bandwidth). The computer should have the most recent version of Flash installed and the computer should be newer than 3 years old.

3. Stream source: Our TV contract with Mediacom states that we are allowed to stream any game they carry. However, their connections channel 22 analog signal is not the same quality as a FCS, VERSUS, FSN ESPN or other NATIONAL cable outlets. So, the quality of the stream will be slightly less than last year because of the source. This isn't ESPN360.com because our source isn't ESPNHD quality, it's Mediacom.

4. Connecting your computer to other devices: The stream I'm sending through is a 480x360 pixel window of video. So, if you try and blow that up using HDMI on a 60-inch flat screen TV, it is going to look pixelated. Those that try this are trying to stretch the original pixel to over 50 times its original size. Clone Zone is best meant to be watched on a computer monitor.

Hammersmith
09-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Here's a little info I pulled up from our message boards, regarding the feed quiality, etc. Not sure if its the same for you or what goes on with it, but you might want to read it as some of it might pertain to you.

Here is some technical advice regarding the streaming of the game - some people will want to pay attention to bullet 4 (connecting computer to other devices)

1. Stream distribution: For the first time, Iowa State fans will see a flash stream. NDSU fans will see a Windows Media stream because they share the same web provider as us, but don't have flash capabilities in the their video player. Both streams will show up in our media player, but ISU fans are encouraged to use flash. You can actually use either stream, but the flash will be slightly better quality.

2. Stream quality: The flash feed will stream at 700k per second and the Windows Media stream will be at 600k per second. If you CANNOT download at a rate faster than 800k a second, you will have troubles watching the webcast. Visit this site. If you have more than 800k of download speed you are fine. I cannot send the stream through at a higher quality as it risks alienating 1.0 to 1.5 mbps DSL-internet users. Between our stream and NDSU, I'm sending through almost 1.5mb per second of data (thank goodness for ISU bandwidth). The computer should have the most recent version of Flash installed and the computer should be newer than 3 years old.

3. Stream source: Our TV contract with Mediacom states that we are allowed to stream any game they carry. However, their connections channel 22 analog signal is not the same quality as a FCS, VERSUS, FSN ESPN or other NATIONAL cable outlets. So, the quality of the stream will be slightly less than last year because of the source. This isn't ESPN360.com because our source isn't ESPNHD quality, it's Mediacom.

4. Connecting your computer to other devices: The stream I'm sending through is a 480x360 pixel window of video. So, if you try and blow that up using HDMI on a 60-inch flat screen TV, it is going to look pixelated. Those that try this are trying to stretch the original pixel to over 50 times its original size. Clone Zone is best meant to be watched on a computer monitor.

The website the IT guy was referring to in point 2 was probably www.speedtest.net. 800 Kb/sec = .8 Mb/sec. You should probably have 1 Mb/s to be safe. If you have broadband, you most likely have 3-10 Mb/s. If you do have broadband and are less than 1 Mb/s, you might want to contact your provider and see if you've got an old package. I just upped my package with CableOne from 3 Mb/s to 5 Mb/s and my bill actually went down a dollar per month because I was being charged for a discontinued plan and they don't automatically adjust existing customers.

If you're running Windows XP, I recommend heading to www.speedguide.net/downloads.php and downloading and running the first program listed(SG TCP Optimizer). Because of when XP was first introduced, there are some settings in it designed for dial-up. This program tweaks those settings to be optimized for whatever speed connection you have. Get your speed from the website in the first paragraph and then set the slider in the optimizer program to match. Click the "Optimal Settings" selection and then the "Apply Changes" button. You will then have to reboot to see any changes.

This is also a good time to go to www.update.microsoft.com and make sure that your operating system(XP/Vista/7) is up to date as well as Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player. Also to whatever browser site you use if you don't use IE. My gut says over half the people who have problems with the webcasts are actually the source of the problem. In other words, it's the user's computer that is having issues and not the school or webstreamer. Keeping your computer updated can solve many problems before they even begin. Also head over to your video card and sound card manufacturer to download and install the latest drivers; sometimes bugs in those drivers can cause problems with the webstream. It's much better to do this stuff tonight and tomorrow rather than screaming at your computer and missing the first quarter on Thursday.

Twentysix
09-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Unless you use gomoorhead or I-29 i dont believe there is a service under 3mb's in fargo-Moorhead area, (Qwest does offer 1.5mb's but i believe this is the only one.) Most of the connections offered by our isps are 3 5 7 and 10. If you signed up for your internet more than 6 months ago i would take the time to shop around and switch. The prices have become alot better. For example, i signed up for Qwest 3mb's 7 months ago, it costs me 51.00/month before tax but after a 16 dollar discout.

Cable one now offers 10mb/s (Megabit per second) cable for 53.00/month+Tax.

8mb/s is equal to 1 megabyte per second. Megabytes would be what you are familiar with if you are the average computer user.

Seriously though, shop around. the FM area's internet became quite alot cheaper and faster over the last 6 months.

Most ISPs in FM Do not require contracts anymore either, so seriously, shop, argue with your isp for there current deals, or switch.

Qwest has better prices now then they did when i signed up aswell, of course they wont give me there current prices and say some mubojumbo about i have to pay what i signed up for...blah blah.

The cable one rate isnt promotional its THE price. Idea one is also 3-10mb's/s depending on your area in the city and they charge 34.99 with no contract.

MontanaBisonFan
09-01-2009, 11:53 PM
I'd rather just listen to the radio if it's just going to ruin the game for everyone here.

I set up two computers. Run the video on one and run the radio audio on the other.
Both from all access on gobison.
When they are not in sync I restart one of them.
Many times I get them in sync and can listen to WDAY and the other teams video.
Sometimes not.

If you do this before the game starts you can usually get it done in 4 o5 trys.

North Side
09-02-2009, 12:00 AM
I wanted to put the stream on my big screen.... but i am guessing gobison will be grainy. :ranting: