PDA

View Full Version : SDSU ranked ahead of the Bison...I don't see it.

Scooter1
08-31-2009, 03:35 AM
I was intrigued by the thinking of some of the pollsters in ranking sdsu as high as they did. I see SDSU finishing possibly as low as 5th in the MVC. I rank UNI, S Ill, NDSU clearly above SDSU. W Illinois and SDSU are a tie in my book for spot number four. There have been quite a few SDSU fans on this site excited about their team. One even says that the freshman class is the best ever for the Jacks. I thought that I would go over and research a little on SDSU's site, and I must say that I think we are sitting in a much better postition than the Jacks at this point. While our team has a few question marks that must be answered, as I look at the roster for SDSU, there are a few things that jump out at me.

1. Time after time we hear how SDSU has no problem recruiting QB's yet when I look on the roster, they only have four QB. Only two of those QB were recruited out of HS. Only 2 of those QB were on the team last year. They have Crawford (sr), Obrien (rfr), Mondol (jr tr), and Whittier (AF academy Transfer) I guess I thought they would have had more QBs than 4. This is the same number of QB that the Bison have. BTW their starter (if it is Crawford) was manhandled by the Bison last year.

2. Offensive line. If ever there was a team that had to say, "please god, no injuries, it is SDSU. Their line should go 320, 300, 290, 285, 280. The back ups go 295 (rfr), 295 (rfr), 285, 270, 260. Playing in the MVC you need to have a few quality back ups. I don't see it. At least NDSU has a little beef that they can substitute that aren't RFR. Britt (290) Cornick (295) McGreggor (316)

3. Their defensive line is not very large at all. In this league you need some size up front. SDSU does have a 300 pounder, but he is a freshman. The upper classmen go 285, 265, 255 250, 245. These guys are one injury away from being 250 across the board in the DL. I don't see this stacking up to Gratzek (278), Fairbairn (304), Johnson (260), and Boyer (255). Or even Taufetee' (295), Phillips (276), Reid Jr (273), Stockzynski (245), and Hines (250)

I could be completely wrong. However, I can't help but think about what would be said on this board if NDSU had the lack of size on both lines that SDSU has at this point. Although SDSU has a very capable RB returning, are the hole going to be there for him? I say this may be a big question mark. The quarterback spot is a question mark for SDSU also. They are going to miss Ryan Berry at quarterback more than they realize. Look for another year of 6-5 football from SDSU.

tjbison
08-31-2009, 03:41 AM
I was intrigued by the thinking of some of the pollsters in ranking sdsu as high as they did. I see SDSU finishing possibly as low as 5th in the MVC. I rank UNI, S Ill, NDSU clearly above SDSU. W Illinois and SDSU are a tie in my book for spot number four. There have been quite a few SDSU fans on this site excited about their team. One even says that the freshman class is the best ever for the Jacks. I thought that I would go over and research a little on SDSU's site, and I must say that I think we are sitting in a much better postition than the Jacks at this point. While our team has a few question marks that must be answered, as I look at the roster for SDSU, there are a few things that jump out at me.

1. Time after time we hear how SDSU has no problem recruiting QB's yet when I look on the roster, they only have four QB. Only two of those QB were recruited out of HS. Only 2 of those QB were on the team last year. They have Crawford (sr), Obrien (rfr), Mondol (jr tr), and Whittier (AF academy Transfer) I guess I thought they would have had more QBs than 4. This is the same number of QB that the Bison have. BTW their starter (if it is Crawford) was manhandled by the Bison last year.

2. Offensive line. If ever there was a team that had to say, "please god, no injuries, it is SDSU. Their line should go 320, 300, 290, 285, 280. The back ups go 295 (rfr), 295 (rfr), 285, 270, 260. Playing in the MVC you need to have a few quality back ups. I don't see it. At least NDSU has a little beef that they can substitute that aren't RFR. Britt (290) Cornick (295) McGreggor (316)

3. Their defensive line is not very large at all. In this league you need some size up front. SDSU does have a 300 pounder, but he is a freshman. The upper classmen go 285, 265, 255 250, 245. These guys are one injury away from being 250 across the board in the DL. I don't see this stacking up to Gratzek (278), Fairbairn (304), Johnson (260), and Boyer (255). Or even Taufetee' (295), Phillips (276), Reid Jr (273), Stockzynski (245), and Hines (250)

I could be completely wrong. However, I can't help but think about what would be said on this board if NDSU had the lack of size on both lines that SDSU has at this point. Although SDSU has a very capable RB returning, are the hole going to be there for him? I say this may be a big question mark. The quarterback spot is a question mark for SDSU also. They are going to miss Ryan Berry at quarterback more than they realize. Look for another year of 6-5 football from SDSU.

and they open with Georgia Southern and chances are they will not have a weather factor for the Southerners

OrygunBison
08-31-2009, 03:45 AM
I don't mind the ranking so much. Stats don't really mean much to me. The only thing that does is W's. Til we beat them, I think that they should be ranked higher. This years Bison team has proven nothing so far and I hope they're fired up to improve their ranking all year.

Scooter1
08-31-2009, 03:50 AM
Yeah, W and L are the main factor and they beat us two years running...that was last year.
I was just looking at what they have on the roster and what I feel they are going to need to compete in this conference.
Add to the mix that they have a minimum of five games that I am pretty sure they are going to lose and two others that I think are toss ups.
If they win one of the five that I think they will lose...they still go 7-4

possible losses include:

Georgia Southern 50-50
Cal Poly (60-40 CP)
NDSU (65-35) NDSU
UNI (70-30) UNI
S Illinois (65-35) S Ill
U of Minnesota (90-10) Uof M
and W Illinois (50-50)

Probable wins

Youngstown (60-40) sdsu
Missouri St (65-35) sdsu
Indiana St (90-10) sdsu
illinois St (55-45) sdsu

NDSUstudent
08-31-2009, 03:52 AM
After last year, I don't put a lot of stock into preseason rankings.

But if a Rabbit says Berry was not a big loss, I would have a hard time believing that person.

Lets also remember the only great team SDSU has ever beaten is NDSU, they haven't really proven to be anything but a decent FCS football program and decent doesn't get you into the playoffs.

Scooter1
08-31-2009, 04:02 AM
Well, they did beat CP, NDSU, and UC Davis two years ago.

Out side of that... you are right. For SDSU 8-3 season seams to be the gold standard.
SDSU is 27-18 over last four years. OK but not great.
NDSU is 33-11 over last four years. Clearly a better track record.

For NDSU 8-3 season isn't a failure...but not where we need to be.

Herd
08-31-2009, 04:16 AM
Geez guys, I say give SDSU their due. We are 0-2 the last two years, and they should be ahead of us to start the year. Nothing surprising about that.

It's time that NDSU steps up and whips them, but I can easily understand their preseason ranking. NDSU has done nothing to be ranked, and we lost a lot of seniors last year. That said, the bison will surprise a lot of people this year, if we get some better QB play.

NDSUstudent
08-31-2009, 04:21 AM
Geez guys, I say give SDSU their due. We are 0-2 the last two years, and they should be ahead of us to start the year. Nothing surprising about that.

It's time that NDSU steps up and whips them, but I can easily understand their preseason ranking. NDSU has done nothing to be ranked, and we lost a lot of seniors last year. That said, the bison will surprise a lot of people this year, if we get some better QB play.

I don't think either team should be ranked until they prove they should be. The fact that SDSU hasn't had a complete season in decades only furthers that point.

Scooter1
08-31-2009, 04:31 AM
Why do we have to give them their due? I rank teams on where I think they will be at the end of the year, not by what they did last year or who they beat by 1 point.

some legitimate points were made. With the exception of beating NDSU the last two years what have they really done? They have gone 7-5, 7-4, 7-4, and 6-5 the last four years. They had a lot of help two years ago, I guess that is why you play the game.

This is an honest look at what they have in the cup board and a prediction as to how I think they will do. If you don't agree, fine.

Do you honestly think that SDSU is going to go 8-3 or even 7-4? Do you think they are going to beat Cal Poly on the road? S Illinois and UNI are probable losses in my book. The odds of beating NDSU three in a row are not good. With the size that they have on the lines I feel the U of Minn is going to walk all over them, that is another loss. This season could get very ugly for SDSU in a hurry. What I'm saying is that I don't see SDSU being anywhere near the playoffs come November. That is all.

bisonmike2
08-31-2009, 04:43 AM
Why do we have to give them their due? I rank teams on where I think they will be at the end of the year, not by what they did last year or who they beat by 1 point.

some legitimate points were made. With the exception of beating NDSU the last two years what have they really done? They have gone 7-5, 7-4, 7-4, and 6-5 the last four years. They had a lot of help two years ago, I guess that is why you play the game.

This is an honest look at what they have in the cup board and a prediction as to how I think they will do. If you don't agree, fine.

Do you honestly think that SDSU is going to go 8-3 or even 7-4? Do you think they are going to beat Cal Poly on the road? S Illinois and UNI are probable losses in my book. The odds of beating NDSU three in a row are not good. With the size that they have on the lines I feel the U of Minn is going to walk all over them, that is another loss. This season could get very ugly for SDSU in a hurry. What I'm saying is that I don't see SDSU being anywhere near the playoffs come November. That is all.

actually their odds of beating us 3 in a row are pretty good. They've got 2 down already, the 3rd game is being played at their house and we have our most inexperienced team yet since going to DI-AA.

ndsubison1
08-31-2009, 04:56 AM
sdsu deserves to be ranked ahead of us and them being ranked in the 20s seems to be accurate

CaBisonFan
08-31-2009, 05:12 AM
I just wanna see the return of the Bison attitude...with leadership and intensity on the field. If this happens, then our athleticism will emerge...which is pretty significant. Don't care who we beat, or how. Don't care about rivalries. Just play damned Bison football with some swagger. Play with the intensity of the Cal Davis, Cal Poly, MN, Ball State, Central Michigan games. Have a hell of a good time hitting people.

Get back to those basics...and we go places. Kind of like the Wooden philosophy. Play Bison football...and don't concern yourself with who you're playing. Don't worry about rankings.

MNLonghorn10
08-31-2009, 05:22 AM
youre complaining about being ranked behind a team that's beaten ndsu the past 2 years?

thats a first...

Scooter1
08-31-2009, 07:27 AM
youre complaining about being ranked behind a team that's beaten ndsu the past 2 years?

thats a first...

I'm not complaining at all. Who cares what the rank is at the beginning of the season. I'm ready to guarentee that SDSU won't be there at the end of the season. That's all.

You guys keep harping on the past two games that we have played. What does that have to do with this year? They lost a lot of key guys last year and i don't think they are in as good a spot as we are right now. It's just an opinion. In three months I guess we will know.

If you have solid reasoning behind why you think that SDSU this year (not the team last year or the year before) will be a better team than NDSU's state why. They lost Berry, a lot of a line that was dominated by us last year, their best WR, their DL is undersized...ect, ect, ect.

MNLonghorn10
08-31-2009, 07:52 AM
"who cares about the ranking before the season" so why the helld you make this thread?

just to say you don't think sdsu will be there at the end??? lol, k.

JacksFan06
08-31-2009, 01:52 PM
The weights on GoJacks.com aren't accurate. Especially for the Redshirt Freshman. Last year it said guard Woody Orne was 250, but in the media guide it listed him at 295 which was accurate. Our offensive line depth is our biggest weak spot, that and the question mark of the QB.

You can't compare our record the last four years with the Bison's because the Jacks typically play a tougher non-conference schedule. Take last year, while you guys played C. CN ST, Austin Peay, & Wyoming; We played Ranked McNeese St & Cal Poly, along with Iowa St and Stephen F Austin. We went 6-2 in the MVC last year and NDSU went 4-4.

We've had pro scouts at our practices this year with talk of both our tackles getting drafted and our DE & MLB also.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d811477a4&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

HandoEX
08-31-2009, 02:08 PM
You can't compare our record the last four years with the Bison's because the Jacks typically play a tougher non-conference schedule. Take last year, while you guys played C. CN ST, Austin Peay, & Wyoming; We played Ranked McNeese St & Cal Poly, along with Iowa St and Stephen F Austin. We went 6-2 in the MVC last year and NDSU went 4-4.

Last year was the only year SDSU's schedule was tougher than NDSU's.

JacksFan06
08-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Well, they did beat CP, NDSU, and UC Davis two years ago.

Out side of that... you are right. For SDSU 8-3 season seams to be the gold standard.
SDSU is 27-18 over last four years. OK but not great.
NDSU is 33-11 over last four years. Clearly a better track record.

For NDSU 8-3 season isn't a failure...but not where we need to be.

So what does a 6-5 year mean than?

Also, I checked NDSU & SDSU schedules for the past four years and when playing like teams during that year the records are:

SDSU 17-5
NDSU 15-7

HerdBot
08-31-2009, 02:16 PM
and they open with Georgia Southern and chances are they will not have a weather factor for the Southerners

All the pollsters have to go on is this. They beat us by 1 point at home. THey are returning more seniors than us. I think they are slightly ahead of us and I don't feel disrespected by it. SDSU deserves their ranking. But I think we can certainly overtake them.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
08-31-2009, 02:56 PM
The weights on GoJacks.com aren't accurate. Especially for the Redshirt Freshman. Last year it said guard Woody Orne was 250, but in the media guide it listed him at 295 which was accurate. Our offensive line depth is our biggest weak spot, that and the question mark of the QB.

We've had pro scouts at our practices this year with talk of both our tackles getting drafted and our DE & MLB also.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d811477a4&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Which Division III school did SDSU lose to a couple years ago? I would hardly consider SDSU's schedule over the past four years superior to NDSU. I will give you last year, but only because you played one extra game.

Rabbitlivinginverm
08-31-2009, 03:45 PM
SDSU has a lot of returners coming back, no doubt about that.

QB is a big question mark no matter who is named the starter (and one has been named, just hasn't hit the papers yet). Berry will be greatly missed.

OL is solid but not deep (at all). Outside of those two situations, we have the best and most experienced team that's been at SDSU for a long time.

I think SDSU is worthy of a ranking in the 20's. I have no idea about the Bison.

bisonmike2
08-31-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm not complaining at all. Who cares what the rank is at the beginning of the season. I'm ready to guarentee that SDSU won't be there at the end of the season. That's all.

You guys keep harping on the past two games that we have played. What does that have to do with this year? They lost a lot of key guys last year and i don't think they are in as good a spot as we are right now. It's just an opinion. In three months I guess we will know.

If you have solid reasoning behind why you think that SDSU this year (not the team last year or the year before) will be a better team than NDSU's state why. They lost Berry, a lot of a line that was dominated by us last year, their best WR, their DL is undersized...ect, ect, ect.

I don't have specifics, and I'm sure a Jack fan can correct me if I'm wrong, but the little I have read about SDSU is that they are really are looking for their defense to have a break out year. This is a defense that has made us look stupid in past years and I'm not just talking about Mertens throwing picks because everyone in the conference has done that. Walker, in his final game also had problems with them. Sure you can look at how sloppily we've played. Alot of the problems are with us not executing, but at some point you also have to give them credit. And as far as them losing Berry, sure they lost a great player at QB just like we did 2 years ago. There's a big difference between us and them. They have had much more success plugging in QB's into their system they what we have. SDSU has had a great track record of recruiting quality QB's and there's no reason to think that they have failed with this years crop.

This thread is ridiculous. SDSU is ranked ahead of us because they have alot of returning starters and finished their season on a high note. We are not ranked because we lost a ton of starters from a team that played like shiate. And we are replacing those guys with last years backups or true freshman. That's what the voters are looking at and based off those criteria how could one not put SDSU ahead of us. It's obvious the voters do not care about how many D2 championships we've won, what our history is, or what our attendance avg is, nor should they care because it has no effect on how we are going to fare this year. Look, I like how our team is set up for the future, but to get there we may have some growing pains.

Amused
08-31-2009, 04:32 PM
This thread is ridiculous. SDSU is ranked ahead of us because they have alot of returning starters and finished their season on a high note. We are not ranked because we lost a ton of starters from a team that played like shiate. And we are replacing those guys with last years backups or true freshman.

Can every remember that people voting in the polls are in theory objective? Of course everyone on Bisonville thinks NDSU is better than SDSU. But what have they done in the last 20 month to convince anyone else?

Right now the Bison are getting votes in the poll. Win 9 games or so and be in the top 10. Play like last year and stay right where you are.

Screw the polls. The games start in 3 days. Prove it on the field.

OldBison
08-31-2009, 05:31 PM
This thread is ridiculous. SDSU is ranked ahead of us because they have alot of returning starters and finished their season on a high note. We are not ranked because we lost a ton of starters from a team that played like shiate. And we are replacing those guys with last years backups or true freshman. That's what the voters are looking at and based off those criteria how could one not put SDSU ahead of us. It's obvious the voters do not care about how many D2 championships we've won, what our history is, or what our attendance avg is, nor should they care because it has no effect on how we are going to fare this year. Look, I like how our team is set up for the future, but to get there we may have some growing pains.

What he said :nod:

tjbison
08-31-2009, 05:35 PM
I wish we were not even getting votes!!!:hide: These kids have to go out and make their rank happen, last year they rode the Walker curtails to a Number #2 and hey look what happened. They beat ISU and SHSU then we can talk top 25, god I hope we are undefeated heading into the UNI game!!

thinking about getting ahold of Michael Jacksons Doc. so he can put me to sleep until Thurs. around 5:30 pm!!!! going nuts at work:hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :banghead:

bisonmike2
08-31-2009, 06:15 PM
nobody here should be upset that we are not ranked. we have the opponents on the schedule that will propel us to high rankings should we take care business on our end. If we get ranked it will be because we earned it. And if you're upset because SDSU is ranked ahead of us remember this. I recall a certain team last year that was receiving high acclaim around this time. They seemed to have all the pieces in place, coming off of a couple of highly successful seasons. Of course this team had to replace a great QB but that seemed to be an afterthought because of all the other strengths the team was bringing back. This team also seemed to have a favorable schedule with it's main rival at home and a tough conference foe scheduled for homecoming. SDSU is almost in the exact same situation as we were last year and we all know how that turned out.

SDbison
08-31-2009, 06:25 PM
nobody here should be upset that we are not ranked. we have the opponents on the schedule that will propel us to high rankings should we take care business on our end. If we get ranked it will be because we earned it. And if you're upset because SDSU is ranked ahead of us remember this. I recall a certain team last year that was receiving high acclaim around this time. They seemed to have all the pieces in place, coming off of a couple of highly successful seasons. Of course this team had to replace a great QB but that seemed to be an afterthought because of all the other strengths the team was bringing back. This team also seemed to have a favorable schedule with it's main rival at home and a tough conference foe scheduled for homecoming. SDSU is almost in the exact same situation as we were last year and we all know how that turned out.
All true except SDSU had two most recent seasons of slightly above mediocre. Their big questions are do they have a new dependable QB and will they stay healthy on the O and D lines? Actually the biggest question is do they have the confidence and talent to be a winner? If SDSU comes through and NDSU falters there will be discontent in Bisonville and Bohl will be close to losing his job.

KTF
08-31-2009, 07:14 PM
I expected and have no problem with SDSU being ranked and ahead of NDSU. They return a lot this year. Just like NDSU last year, NDSU started the year in the top ten last year with an unproven QB, just like SDSU is doing this year.

Last years game was kind of an apples to oranges comparision in my mind. The only reason NDSU was in that game was Berry being out most of the game. If he had been in, it would have been ugly beyond comprehension for Bison fans...

Question becomes will SDSU be as good this year? Time will tell but they have to play a few games to see first, just like NDSU needs to...

BadlandsBison
08-31-2009, 08:26 PM
The way I look at it is NDSU doesn't deserve to be ranked ahead of SDSU. Unlike last season, this season is about earning everything. And really, I like it better this way. We need to beat the rabbits, and being their supposed "inferiors" is good motivation.

tony
08-31-2009, 08:29 PM
SDSU is on the schedule.

I could care less about preseason rankings. Settle it on the field.

bisonmike2
08-31-2009, 08:41 PM
SDSU is on the schedule.

I could care less about preseason rankings. Settle it on the field.

Sure but Tony you forget that college football national championships are settled by committee and pollsters! Wait, never mind, that's FBS.

NDSUstudent
08-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Ryan Crawford was named the SDSU starting QB, for those who can't remember he replaced Berry after his "concussion" in the marker game.

tjbison
08-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Ryan Crawford was named the SDSU starting QB, for those who can't remember he replaced Berry after his "concussion" in the marker game.

then got replaced after he sucked, while Berry still had the said concussion:hide:

NDSUstudent
08-31-2009, 11:02 PM
then got replaced after he sucked, while Berry still had the said concussion:hide:

He actually broke his wrist(which almost ended his career), but you are right, he didn't exactly have a great game.