PDA

View Full Version : NEW RECRUIT News at 10:25 (Jason Pomerenke)

lakesbison
08-28-2009, 03:27 AM
NDSU gets a new Verbal:

IOWA KID

Jason Pomerenke

6 5 300 OL Sioux Center squats 485lbs

tony
08-28-2009, 03:32 AM
NDSU gets a new Verbal:

IOWA KID

Jason Pomerenke

6 5 300 OL Sioux Center squats 485lbs

w00t! Got a link for the recruiting summary?

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2009, 03:33 AM
this o line is goin to be huge in a couple years

4mcruenomore
08-28-2009, 03:40 AM
Just right for a big running QB from Bismarck

tony
08-28-2009, 03:52 AM
It was WDAY's Steve Hallstrom breaking the story... he also did a bit on the running backs.

tony
08-28-2009, 04:21 AM
Found some highlight video. Good choice of music for a future Bison.

Rivals highlights (http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/highschool-football/Jason-Pomerenke-Highlights-1-49193)

EndZoneQB
08-28-2009, 04:25 AM
In all honesty tho, 485lbs squatting isn't that much, especially for a 300lb kid. I've seen kids a lot smaller than that in HS squatting that much, maybe the height is the big difference. Either way, sounds like another decent get. Looks like he may have played basketball too? That's a good sign he's athletic.

DjKyRo
08-28-2009, 04:38 AM
6-5 and 300? Yikes!

Nice get Bohl and staff, I'm really looking forward to seeing the war in the trenches unfold in a few seasons!

OldBison
08-28-2009, 02:34 PM
I like getting into the IA backyard a bit. UNI in MN pisses me off, so this is good, very good.

Bison Dan
08-28-2009, 03:01 PM
In all honesty tho, 485lbs squatting isn't that much, especially for a 300lb kid. I've seen kids a lot smaller than that in HS squatting that much, maybe the height is the big difference. Either way, sounds like another decent get. Looks like he may have played basketball too? That's a good sign he's athletic.

You have to remember he could be only 16 or 17 years old. He's got 2 more years to develop.

tony
08-28-2009, 03:29 PM
I think NDSU had Jason up a couple times. Honestly, the highlight tape didn't blow me away. Yeah, he bulldozed guys and pancaked left and right, but he stopped early on plays and didn't display a mean streak.

If Coach Fuchs likes him well enough to offer, that's good enough for me though since Fuchs knows more about offensive line than I do about, um, well, anything :)

I'm guessing that by the time he's been at NDSU a year, his conditioning will be greatly improved - plus, he won't be playing both sides of the ball so he'll have more to give on each play.

Schueller, Pomerenke, and maybe Hinz - heck, the offensive line recruiting might be almost done before the season starts.

CarringtonBison
08-28-2009, 04:37 PM

height is a big difference and performing it right with proper technique is important. You would be surprised how many people "squat" heavy weight but only go down a few inches. If they went down to the proper level (thighs parallel to the ground) the weight would be significantly decreased.

Trim
08-28-2009, 04:42 PM
height is a big difference and performing it right with proper technique is important. You would be surprised how many people "squat" heavy weight but only go down a few inches. If they went down to the proper level (thighs parallel to the ground) the weight would be significantly decreased.

I'll never forget in high school, there were a couple jokers who worked out with more than they maxed. They could never understand that going down a few inches isn't really doing it. Then when max day came around and the rules had to be followed, not so good.

steelbison
08-28-2009, 04:43 PM

Very true!!!!

Good Luck Jason!!!!!

bisonmike2
08-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Are we really debating the squat weight and technique of a kid that none of us has seen play football, let alone work out? That's cool I guess but can we just agree that initially, the kid has the size and frame that we are looking for? I'll judge his lifting numbers after he gets a year of our strength and conidtioning program under his belt.

EndZoneQB
08-28-2009, 05:59 PM

I know exactly how a squat should look, and I laugh at people that think they are squatting, kinda like what Trim was saying. Sounds like the HS weight room to me as well! You could always tell the football players from the "weight lifters". Either way, like I said before, he sounds like a decent get, and probably has some hidden athleticism from playing bball(which could also be why his squat was a little lower, going for athleticism instead of pure "bulk").

SDbison
08-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I know exactly how a squat should look, and I laugh at people that think they are squatting, kinda like what Trim was saying. Sounds like the HS weight room to me as well! You could always tell the football players from the "weight lifters". Either way, like I said before, he sounds like a decent get, and probably has some hidden athleticism from playing bball(which could also be why his squat was a little lower, going for athleticism instead of pure "bulk").
I agree with all the comments about the squat max stuff. I did a 465lb 3/4 squat back when I was a junior in high school. Got into a competition with some seniors. I can tell you one thing, I pinched a nerve in my shoulder from all the weight and was numb there for more than a day.

Bisonguy
08-28-2009, 07:22 PM

A lot also depends on the definition of a squat. I used to see a lot of 500lb two-inch knee bends when I'd go to the gym that wouldn't come remotely close to pulling three whites.

BP and squat maxes can be grossly exaggerated the same as 40 times are.

Edit Nevermind. Looks like this has already been covered. That's what I get for looking over the new posts quickly.

runtheoption
08-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Getting way off topic, I love it!

Just so we all are clear, here is good squat form. Not parallel, not 2 or 3 inches below parallel. Rock bottom, ass to ankles is the only way to go. This greatly lessens the shear forces on the knee compared to parallel squats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qbBsn7IbPU (work, family safe)

"But squats are bad for my knees!!" Bullsh**, not doing squats is bad for your knees.

bisonhusker
08-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Lets have a squat contest in Ames. I want to see SDBISON wearing his hard hat squat the back end of a S-10.

Congrats to the staff. Another huge kid. Love it.

Bisonguy
08-28-2009, 08:02 PM
LOL I love how this thread digressed from a new verbal to a Mark Rippetoe video. :rofl:

Anyhow, welcome to the Bison Nation, Jason!

runtheoption
08-28-2009, 08:16 PM
LOL I love how this thread digressed from a new verbal to a Mark Rippetoe video. :rofl:

Anyhow, welcome to the Bison Nation, Jason!

Yes, welcome to the Bison, Jason!

Back on topic :rofl: here are many of Rippetoe's quotes. http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Wit_and_Wisdom_of_Mark_Rippetoe

Very funny stuff. I especially like this, and is kinda relevant to where this thread went:

"Anyone who says that full squats are "bad for the knees" has, with that statement, demonstrated conclusively that they are not entitled to an opinion about the matter. People who know nothing about a topic, especially a very technical one that requires specific training, knowledge, and experience, are not due an opinion about that topic and are better served by being quiet when it is asked about or discussed. For example, when brain surgery, or string theory, or the NFL draft, or women's dress sizes, or white wine is being discussed, I remain quiet, odd though that may seem. But seldom is this the case when orthopedic surgeons, athletic trainers, physical therapists, or nurses are asked about full squats."

IzzyFlexion
08-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Lets have a squat contest in Ames. I want to see SDBISON wearing his hard hat squat the back end of a S-10.

Congrats to the staff. Another huge kid. Love it.

How about some "dismemberment" deadlifting?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je0asbXgZjM

EndZoneQB
08-28-2009, 10:49 PM

Just so we all are clear, here is good squat form. Not parallel, not 2 or 3 inches below parallel. Rock bottom, ass to ankles is the only way to go. This greatly lessens the shear forces on the knee compared to parallel squats.

"But squats are bad for my knees!!" Bullsh**, not doing squats is bad for your knees.

Basement squats baby!

Jdubs21
08-29-2009, 12:56 PM
welcome jason!!!!

extremerouge
08-29-2009, 01:37 PM

yeah Rippetoe maybe knows what he is talking about...

lakesbison
09-01-2009, 05:25 AM
I just got this news:

"hey Lakesbison FWIW Pomerenke still plans to take visits to Iowa State, South Dakota, and Northern Iowa this fall yet"

Is that the norm? or whatcha think?

tjbison
09-01-2009, 05:30 PM
I just got this news:

"hey Lakesbison FWIW Pomerenke still plans to take visits to Iowa State, South Dakota, and Northern Iowa this fall yet"

yes, Hank Jacobs took visits to Army and Ball St. after he verballed to NDSU he is on the Roster:nod:

Kermit
09-01-2009, 05:41 PM
I just got this news:

Welcome to the land of the "soft verbal." As the NDSU recruiting philosophy becomes more "D-I" we will likely experience a lot more of this than the past. I don't know anything about Pomerenke; it is possible that he just wants to be doubly sure or that he just wants some fun weekends on someone else's dime. On the other hand, for some "big-time" recruits, a verbal commitment is nothing more than a current favorite flavor with no strings attached.

bisonmike2
09-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Welcome to the land of the "soft verbal." As the NDSU recruiting philosophy becomes more "D-I" we will likely experience a lot more of this than the past. I don't know anything about Pomerenke; it is possible that he just wants to be doubly sure or that he just wants some fun weekends on someone else's dime. On the other hand, for some "big-time" recruits, a verbal commitment is nothing more than a current favorite flavor with no strings attached.

All I know is that when I get a verbal in NCAA 2010 he is locked down. Ain't no backing out of the commitment.