PDA

View Full Version : Enrollment

GOB1SON
08-25-2009, 04:04 PM
First day enrollment at NDSU = 13,855

WOW! Up 7.6% over last year.

At this rate.... I mean, where is this going?

Final fall enrollment numbers will be announced 9-22.

http://www.ndsu.edu/news/enrollmentnumbers/

Tatanka
08-25-2009, 04:09 PM
cue the annual mad scramble in el forko grande...

RedRiver
08-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Great news for NDSU, Fargo and ND.

Hammersmith
08-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Holy <bleep>!

We're up almost a thousand from this time last year(984). Last year our freshmen class jumped 22%; this year it's the graduate students(21.7%) and international students(34.5%). In fact, new freshmen actually dropped this year by 7%. That might be worrisome, except that the huge class last year probably skewed things. And thanks to the construction of new campus housing, not a single student is staying in a hotel this year.

homer
08-25-2009, 04:15 PM
It will be interesting to see what final enrollment figures are like this year. I know a few people who unfortunately lost their jobs this past year and decided to go back to school after not being able to find another one. I imagine this is fairly common everywhere.

Shawn-O
08-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Freshman overflow housing at the BSA:

http://www.movieweb.com/video/HUxYkFyzdCDWBE

Seriously, impressive growth...wow.

bisonmike2
08-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Freshman overflow housing at the BSA:

http://www.movieweb.com/video/HUxYkFyzdCDWBE

Seriously, impressive growth...wow.

that's what she said!

/I'm here all week.:)

Shawn-O
08-25-2009, 04:46 PM
that's what she said!

/I'm here all week.:)

Someone's been nipping into the Extenze again. :D

Hammersmith
08-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Out of curiosity, I did the math to see what this year's final enrollment will look like if it grows by the same percentage as last year(between 1st day and week 3).

Wow.

HandoEX
08-25-2009, 05:00 PM
The growth lately has been crazy! I wonder how much the athletic exposure has influenced this. Many people that had never heard of NDSU before the transition sure are aware now!

bisonmike2
08-25-2009, 05:35 PM
what's the highest enrollment ever recorded by UND? Did they ever hit 15K back in the day?

tony
08-25-2009, 05:41 PM
what's the highest enrollment ever recorded by UND? Did they ever hit 15K back in the day?

UND has cracked 13,000 but almost 10% never set foot on campus (i.e. virtual students.)

http://media.www.dakotastudent.com/media/storage/paper970/news/2003/09/19/Sectionsnews/No.Surprise.At.Record.Enrollment-1771071.shtml#4

Edit: corrected.

Hammersmith
08-25-2009, 05:43 PM

13,187 in 2004. We beat that last year. We are in totally uncharted waters for a North Dakota university. UND spent 2 years above 13K(2003/2004) and just might make it there again this year(though I think they'll hit around 12.9K). It looks like we'll have also spent 2 years in the 13Ks before blowing through them to 14K. Scary thought: 15K next year is not out of reach.

lakesbison
08-25-2009, 06:07 PM
why do all of you have to compare everything to them?

seriously, cant you be like the athletic dept and leave them 6+ years ago?

we should be comparing ourselves to Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Marquette, Montana, and MVC schools. not our state, NDSU is a REGIONAL school and should continue that push!

bisonmike2
08-25-2009, 06:34 PM

we should be comparing ourselves to Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Marquette, Montana, and MVC schools. not our state, NDSU is a REGIONAL school and should continue that push!

It's nice to see some historical comparisons to the school who used to have the highest enrollment in the state. If Valley City State was previously the largest institution in the state I would have asked if they had previously hit 15K. By the way, anyone know what SDSU's enrollement's going to be, assuming of course it's ok with Lakes that I ask that question?

tony
08-25-2009, 07:01 PM
By the way, anyone know what SDSU's enrollement's going to be, assuming of course it's ok with Lakes that I ask that question?

Based on last year:

South Dakota State: 12,000+
Wyoming: ~13,000
Montana: between 14k and 15k
Montana State: between 12 and 13k
USD: <10000

DjKyRo
08-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Holy <bleep>!

We're up almost a thousand from this time last year(984). Last year our freshmen class jumped 22%; this year it's the graduate students(21.7%) and international students(34.5%). In fact, new freshmen actually dropped this year by 7%. That might be worrisome, except that the huge class last year probably skewed things. And thanks to the construction of new campus housing, not a single student is staying in a hotel this year.

You're welcome! :D

TheBisonator
08-25-2009, 08:21 PM
HOLY CRAP - 13,855??? Let's see how much above 14K we get in a few weeks...

Hammersmith is right, we may indeed break 15,000 next school year!!

TheBisonator
08-25-2009, 08:25 PM
The thing that intrigues me is that on campus (I think dorms only, not counting Bison Court and UV) there are only 3,372 beds, and there's 13,855 students total. This means there's probably a TON of students in apartments directly around campus, and in fraternities, etc. But maybe even more in other parts of the city. I really wonder where these other 10,500 or so students are living.

Gully
08-25-2009, 08:26 PM
25,000 and WAC or Mountain West.......here we come.

TheBisonator
08-25-2009, 08:35 PM

It all depends on if Chapman's predecesssor has the same kind of vision that he has. If they choose another Plough or Ozbun in a few years when Chapman retires, we're done.

roadwarrior
08-25-2009, 08:37 PM
I really wonder where these other 10,500 or so students are living.

Pretty much everywhere but Moorhead.

lakesbison
08-25-2009, 08:39 PM
GULLY!!

"25,000 and WAC or Mountain West.......here we come"

GULLY... POST OF THE YEAR!! WAC ATTACK!!!

bisonmike2
08-25-2009, 08:46 PM
GULLY!!

"25,000 and WAC or Mountain West.......here we come"

GULLY... POST OF THE YEAR!! WAC ATTACK!!!

If we get to 25K, I wonder how many UND will have by then?

//I kid Lakes, I kid.

Bison_Pride
08-25-2009, 08:59 PM

Not to change the subject, but wouldn't the Fargodome need to expand to seat at least 30K, or a new stadium built before that would happen? And wouldn't that have to come at a vote of the citizens of Fargo, or ND, or the Higher Ed department? In other words, if it does come to a vote, that would NEVER happen.

IzzyFlexion
08-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Not to change the subject, but wouldn't the Fargodome need to expand to seat at least 30K, or a new stadium built before that would happen? And wouldn't that have to come at a vote of the citizens of Fargo, or ND, or the Higher Ed department? In other words, if it does come to a vote, that would NEVER happen.

Well, the University of Idaho's Kibbie Dome seats 18,000 for their home WAC football games.

bisonmike2
08-25-2009, 09:08 PM

Sure if a vote were held today it would get shot down immediately. But if we give it some time and let the economy bounce back then win a couple of NC's people might be a little more inclined to vote for some sort of expansion. That or I plan on winning the largest powerball ever and I'll do my part to contribute

IzzyFlexion
08-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Sure if a vote were held today it would get shot down immediately. But if we give it some time and let the economy bounce back then win a couple of NC's people might be a little more inclined to vote for some sort of expansion. That or I plan on winning the largest powerball ever and I'll do my part to contribute

But, please remember..............
The lottery is a tax on people that are really bad at math.:D

GOB1SON
08-25-2009, 09:34 PM
I love how a thread on the increased enrollment has now turned into a "we should go FBS" conversation.

How about we accomplish something at the FCS level first?

Or how about this, let's actually fill up the dome for home games first. Instead of phantom sellouts with 2-3000 no shows.

Anyway, I am proud to be a Bison (once again) today. NDSU has become the flagship University in the northern Plains. It is fast becoming a major research institute, has become a (if not the) preeminent economic engine in the Red River Valley, and is enjoying a run of success both athletically and sholastically that has never been seen before in this part of the country.

Congrats to Dr. Chapman and all the administration, faculty, staff, and students at NDSU. Great job.

Bisonguy
08-25-2009, 10:16 PM
I love how a thread on the increased enrollment has now turned into a "we should go FBS" conversation.

How about we accomplish something at the FCS level first?

Or how about this, let's actually fill up the dome for home games first. Instead of phantom sellouts with 2-3000 no shows.

Anyway, I am proud to be a Bison (once again) today. NDSU has become the flagship University in the northern Plains. It is fast becoming a major research institute, has become a (if not the) preeminent economic engine in the Red River Valley, and is enjoying a run of success both athletically and sholastically that has never been seen before in this part of the country.

Congrats to Dr. Chapman and all the administration, faculty, staff, and students at NDSU. Great job.

++

And I'll be looking forward to the day when the print version of The Forum has a 14 hour scoop on the TV news stations for half of NDSU's conference games. :hide:

Shawn-O
08-25-2009, 10:36 PM

No smack intended, you're having a great run no question. But you might want to start graduating a few more kids before making these kinds of declarations on the academic front.

http://www.collegeresults.org/search1b.aspx?InstitutionID=200280

ndsubison1
08-25-2009, 10:37 PM
i actually know quite a few transfers from two year schools, I'm sure that number is up

lakesbison
08-25-2009, 11:05 PM
NDSU should be 20,000+ .

its a joke that it isn't already, 170,000 people in FM area.

200,000 people in Detroit Lakes, Alexandria, Fergus Falls, Breck-Wahp, Valley City...etc *that 60 mile radius or so*

thats dang near 400,000 population with 200,000 kids?? so 10% of that aint much!

NDSU should have a GOAL of a REGIONAL power school to be choice #1 for North Dakotan's and choice #2 for Minnesotans and choice #2 for South Dakotan's and Montanan's .

No reason why NDSU can't grow to 20,000 in 3 years and make a push for the WAC.

tony
08-25-2009, 11:27 PM
No smack intended, you're having a great run no question. But you might want to start graduating a few more kids before making these kinds of declarations on the academic front.

http://www.bisonville.com/graphx/flagship.GIF

The state better be getting some value because it looks like it costs the taxpayer more than $30,000 every time a kid chooses UND. :)

Shawn-O
08-25-2009, 11:57 PM
The state better be getting some value because it looks like it costs the taxpayer more than $30,000 every time a kid chooses UND. :)

The med and law school expenditures better be in the numerator or I'd be pissed off too! :D Aren't metrics great? :confused:

Hammersmith
08-26-2009, 12:08 AM

Interesting. UND's number matches up with their Common Data Set report(53.8% vs. 54%), but NDSU's is fairly different(46.8% vs. 50.3%). It makes me wonder where the website gets its data.

After some data mining...

Something is whacked with the data for NDSU. I went to the source(IPEDS - GRS) and the numbers for NDSU aren't close to right. The correct numbers from NDSU should be 1630 students in the 2001 cohort with 820 graduating within 6 years. The numbers in the IPEDS database are 1187 and 556, respectively. In fact, the two wrong numbers don't appear anywhere in NDSU's CDS report from that year. If I had to guess, I'd say that the numbers attributed to NDSU are actually for some other institution and linked to NDSU by error. The correct graduation rate for NDSU in that link should be 50.3%. It's still lower than UND's, but by exactly half as much.

Hammersmith
08-26-2009, 12:20 AM
And UND's numbers are out(Tran's asleep at the wheel - the Herald story is actually a copy of the Forum article that Amy Dalrymple put together).

UND is up 1.6% from last year. 12,470 this year vs. 12,276 from last year. A simple projection using last year's data puts a final number at around 12,950.

UTH
08-26-2009, 12:35 AM

QFA. And it's interesting to see a complete derailing of a thread toward comparing NDSU with some peasant program. And then have Lakes try to come to the rescue, only to get ignored. Oh, the irony.*

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Vitojackassdrumswtfmusic.gif

*reps to you, lakes:bow:

BisonNolesFan77
08-26-2009, 02:53 AM
One of those 13,855 students (I think thats what it was!) and damn proud to say it! 2 cousins from the Twin Cities area will soon be joining that number as well next fall, both their final choices were between NDSU and U of M, and they made the right choice.

bisonaudit
08-26-2009, 08:25 PM
And UND's numbers are out(Tran's asleep at the wheel - the Herald story is actually a copy of the Forum article that Amy Dalrymple put together).

UND is up 1.6% from last year. 12,470 this year vs. 12,276 from last year. A simple projection using last year's data puts a final number at around 12,950.

Give Tran a break. He's been busy pummeling the Alerus Center Board. :)

Hammersmith
08-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Give Tran a break. He's been busy pummeling the Alerus Center Board. :)

That "Monday Night Fight" thing was pretty funny. Everyone in Fargo should be thrilled that the FD turns an operating profit every year so we don't have to deal with crap like the pro/con Alerus people. I don't think the situation up there is factually all that bad, but boy does everybody seem to do their best to turn small problems into big ones.

bisonmike2
08-26-2009, 08:44 PM
That "Monday Night Fight" thing was pretty funny. Everyone in Fargo should be thrilled that the FD turns an operating profit every year so we don't have to deal with crap like the pro/con Alerus people. I don't think the situation up there is factually all that bad, but boy does everybody seem to do their best to turn small problems into big ones.

I can't imagine. There are already too many people who bitch about 1/2 sales tax.

tony
08-27-2009, 04:20 AM
The med and law school expenditures better be in the numerator or I'd be pissed off too! :D Aren't metrics great? :confused:

Hehe, bah! :) There are some obvious flaws in that argument.

First, postgrad information shouldn't be included on a report that shows graduation rates and SAT scores so the $12.8k per student per year would not include doctors or lawyers.

Second, let's say you did include the law and med school postgrads. They represent 1% of UND's student body. To explain the $6,100 per student difference each year, that would mean it'd have to cost over $600,000 more to educate each law/med school student than a normal student each year.

Third, I can see spending extra for a med school but I don't see much cause to value lawyers over students who are going to produce wealth, rather than consume it, during their professional careers. Yeah, I think it's more important to educate farmers and engineers and just about every other profession, than lawyers.

What I want is fairness. If UND is getting double the state money, students at UND should pay double the tuition unless there is a darn good reason for UND's costs being so out of whack. And, this is just my bias, but I don't think any North Dakota college should get a cent from the state for distance learning students who never set foot in North Dakota.

Shawn-O
08-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Digging a little deeper, the Educational and General Expenditures / FTE (a broader category, which includes the instructional expenditures plus expenditures for research, public service, academic support, student services, institutional support, plant operation & maintenance, and scholarships) indicate about $22,000 per FTE at UND, $20,000 per FTE at NDSU. Still a ten percent difference, but not double. The taxpaying citizens can rest a bit easier now. :D

Gully
08-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Digging a little deeper, the Educational and General Expenditures / FTE (a broader category, which includes the instructional expenditures plus expenditures for research, public service, academic support, student services, institutional support, plant operation & maintenance, and scholarships) indicate about $22,000 per FTE at UND, $20,000 per FTE at NDSU. Still a ten percent difference, but not double. The taxpaying citizens can rest a bit easier now. :D

But does public service include the NDSU extension service? Not sure, but if it does that's not a fair comparison. That has very little to do with education students and more to do with supporting production agriculture, etc.

Gully
08-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Hehe, bah! :) There are some obvious flaws in that argument.

First, postgrad information shouldn't be included on a report that shows graduation rates and SAT scores so the $12.8k per student per year would not include doctors or lawyers.

Second, let's say you did include the law and med school postgrads. They represent 1% of UND's student body. To explain the $6,100 per student difference each year, that would mean it'd have to cost over $600,000 more to educate each law/med school student than a normal student each year.

Third, I can see spending extra for a med school but I don't see much cause to value lawyers over students who are going to produce wealth, rather than consume it, during their professional careers. Yeah, I think it's more important to educate farmers and engineers and just about every other profession, than lawyers.

What I want is fairness. If UND is getting double the state money, students at UND should pay double the tuition unless there is a darn good reason for UND's costs being so out of whack. And, this is just my bias, but I don't think any North Dakota college should get a cent from the state for distance learning students who never set foot in North Dakota.

Third, I can see spending extra for a med school but I don't see much cause to value lawyers over students who are going to produce wealth, rather than consume it, during their professional careers.

Post of the century! I love it.

tony
08-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Digging a little deeper...

Uh, I think you are misinterpreting data again. :)

Trying to nail you down: Do you agree with the two general principles I laid out? First, that state funding per full-time student should be reflected in tuition rates. Second, that virtual students that never set foot in North Dakota should not be included in the full-time student calculations.

The catch with the first proposition would be that the school with the lower state funding would be setting the tuition rates for the higher funded school. I think that system would provide a very interesting feedback loop.

As Hammersmith can attest, UND does not have a very good track record of filling out surveys correctly so I don't think the first report you linked to had good numbers. In reality, I think UND, excluding the med school, probably only gets around 30% more per actual student from the state, not 100%. Anyway, I think UND's tuition should be at least 130% of NDSU's; then let the market decide whether UND's product is worth the markup.

SDbison
08-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Out of curiosity, I did the math to see what this year's final enrollment will look like if it grows by the same percentage as last year(between 1st day and week 3).

Wow.
So you are saying there is a good chance NDSU goes over 14,000 enrollment this fall! Unbelievable......
Thank you Joe, thank you Gene, the coaches and players, thank you North Dakota (Minnesota too) thank you professors and admin and thank you most of all......the students who made the right choice!

What would Kuppy say........oh I forgot, definitely not able to reach him for comment now. :p

Shawn-O
08-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Uh, I think you are misinterpreting data again. :)

Trying to nail you down: Do you agree with the two general principles I laid out? First, that state funding per full-time student should be reflected in tuition rates. Second, that virtual students that never set foot in North Dakota should not be included in the full-time student calculations.

The catch with the first proposition would be that the school with the lower state funding would be setting the tuition rates for the higher funded school. I think that system would provide a very interesting feedback loop.

As Hammersmith can attest, UND does not have a very good track record of filling out surveys correctly so I don't think the first report you linked to had good numbers. In reality, I think UND, excluding the med school, probably only gets around 30% more per actual student from the state, not 100%. Anyway, I think UND's tuition should be at least 130% of NDSU's; then let the market decide whether UND's product is worth the markup.

Benchmarking it against similar situations in South Dakota, Iowa, and Kansas and assuming the numbers are materially accurate, I would acknowledge that UND is underpriced and should be in the range of 105%-110% of NDSU. The student related expenditures per FTE range in the neighborhood of 30%-50%, with the land grants being lower in each instance...so I don't disagree with your first general principle, but that just doesn't seem to be the way it works, for whatever reason. I suppose it's the whole peer school debate, which has been argued ad nausem in the past.

Bison bison
08-28-2009, 02:32 AM

whatever.

compare the state's per student allocation per FTE. it ain't even close and i don't think it ever will be.

NDSU is kicking UND's ass, while getting 60 cents on the dollar for every student.

NDSU learned along time ago to live without Bismarck giving them a fair shake. I used to be pissed about it, now I don't care. Screw those turtle neck wearing snobs.

4mcruenomore
08-28-2009, 03:21 AM
All I see is the plain numbers in the paper this last week, people want to go to NDSU. I don't care how UND tweeks the #'s, they are smaller from here on out IMO.

Shawn-O
08-28-2009, 03:29 AM
whatever.

compare the state's per student allocation per FTE. it ain't even close and i don't think it ever will be.

NDSU is kicking UND's ass, while getting 60 cents on the dollar for every student.

NDSU learned along time ago to live without Bismarck giving them a fair shake. I used to be pissed about it, now I don't care. Screw those turtle neck wearing snobs.

http://www.ndus.edu/Uploads/reports/179/summary-of-2009-10-annual-budgets.pdf

Enlighten me. I see a general fund appropriation of about +2M to NDSU.

Bison bison
08-28-2009, 03:46 AM
That includes capital expenditures which are usually bonded and paid for with other revenue (ie dorms paid for with student boarding fees) or the most recent session one-time spending. This only makes sense because NDSU is bursting at the seams.

The real values for general fund dollars for operating (see enrolled/signed SB 2003) are:

$125 million for UND
$108 million for NDSU

for the biennium.

Considering that NDSU has 10% more students and that even more of them are actually bodies on campus, the bison get ripped.

it's easiest to put it in terms of $ of state money for operations/fte. UND gets about $1,000 more per student (and that doesn't count the med school which puts things even more out of whack -$41 million for operations for 1000? students (not just mds in training)).

that's all i'm doing for 2009-2010 on the subject. this is old. bismarck is giving us the shaft, time to live with it and move on.

SDbison
08-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Sorry, but I had to paste the entire editorial from the 8/28/09 Fargo Forum because it is just so good......
Forum editorial: NDSU plan for growth is working
It is likely that when final numbers are in, North Dakota State University’s fall enrollment will approach 14,000, a milestone in at least two ways.
First, enrollment has surpassed the university’s expectations. Administrators have been reluctant to characterize recent enrollment gains as goals achieved. Rather, rising student population was seen as a result of university improvements that would naturally attract more students.
Second, an enrollment trend that began about six years ago has proven to be sustainable, thus establishing NDSU as the state’s largest campus, a distinction held for decades by the University of North Dakota at Grand Forks. UND’s preliminary fall enrollment is about 12,500, or some 1,500 fewer students than at NDSU. More telling, however, is the rate of growth over 2008. NDSU’s was 7.6 percent; UND’s was 1.6 percent.
The enrollment gains should come as no surprise. NDSU’s administration set about changing the face of the university when Joseph Chapman became president about eight years ago. Chapman and his team laid out a program of growth and change that seemed wildly ambitious. But at each step along the way, dreams became proposals, proposals became plans of action and plans became reality, often in less time than anticipated.
Achievements that raised NDSU’s national and international profile included an expanded research sector; functioning partnerships with business and industry; new student housing on the main campus; extraordinary development of the downtown Fargo campus; emphasis on development of graduate degree programs; enhancement of undergraduate studies.
Visionary campus leadership took full advantage of flexibility and accountability doctrines laid out by the Higher Education Roundtable and the state Board of Higher Education. The Legislature increased funding and turned back ill-considered attempts to micromanage the University System.
Finally, NDSU’s skillfully managed move to Division I sports raised the school’s profile among potential students who otherwise might not have considered coming to Fargo. Dual emphasis on academic/research excellence and D-I athletics has been an overall winner for the school and the state. Enrollment trends are a sure sign of success.

BisoninNWMN
08-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Sorry, but I had to paste the entire editorial from the 8/28/09 Fargo Forum because it is just so good......
It is likely that when final numbers are in, North Dakota State University’s fall enrollment will approach 14,000, a milestone in at least two ways.
First, enrollment has surpassed the university’s expectations. Administrators have been reluctant to characterize recent enrollment gains as goals achieved. Rather, rising student population was seen as a result of university improvements that would naturally attract more students.
Second, an enrollment trend that began about six years ago has proven to be sustainable, thus establishing NDSU as the state’s largest campus, a distinction held for decades by the University of North Dakota at Grand Forks. UND’s preliminary fall enrollment is about 12,500, or some 1,500 fewer students than at NDSU. More telling, however, is the rate of growth over 2008. NDSU’s was 7.6 percent; UND’s was 1.6 percent.
The enrollment gains should come as no surprise. NDSU’s administration set about changing the face of the university when Joseph Chapman became president about eight years ago. Chapman and his team laid out a program of growth and change that seemed wildly ambitious. But at each step along the way, dreams became proposals, proposals became plans of action and plans became reality, often in less time than anticipated.
Achievements that raised NDSU’s national and international profile included an expanded research sector; functioning partnerships with business and industry; new student housing on the main campus; extraordinary development of the downtown Fargo campus; emphasis on development of graduate degree programs; enhancement of undergraduate studies.
Visionary campus leadership took full advantage of flexibility and accountability doctrines laid out by the Higher Education Roundtable and the state Board of Higher Education. The Legislature increased funding and turned back ill-considered attempts to micromanage the University System.
Finally, NDSU’s skillfully managed move to Division I sports raised the school’s profile among potential students who otherwise might not have considered coming to Fargo. Dual emphasis on academic/research excellence and D-I athletics has been an overall winner for the school and the state. Enrollment trends are a sure sign of success.

Good Stuff!!

GO BISON

99Bison
08-29-2009, 12:31 AM

Great, indeed.

Tatanka
08-29-2009, 01:47 AM
Must....agree.....with......fish wrap......editorial. :hide: GO BISON

tony
08-29-2009, 02:18 AM
What is really interesting for North Dakota is that enrollment is up, I think, at every college. Very encouraging in a state where the declining number of young people is the number one problem.

BTW, Chapman has only been here eight years? I thought he was President since 1999, in which case enrollment has increased from 9600 to 14000 (more or less) under his leadership.

WYOBISONMAN
08-29-2009, 02:36 AM
Chapman and NDSU are kicking ass and taking names........the firetrucks are S.O.L.!!!!!!

heckler
08-29-2009, 05:42 AM
So how many hotels are NDSU "renting" out?

Bisonguy
08-29-2009, 06:27 AM

Supposedly zero this year.

roadwarrior
08-29-2009, 01:27 PM
No hotels are being used.

tjbison
08-29-2009, 01:33 PM
No hotels are being used.

that alone should help students decide on NDSU hope they planned for an increase next year too, must suck to hear come to NDSU but you will live in a Hotel

Gully
08-29-2009, 02:41 PM

I thought I read that they don't need to do that this year since there are more spaces on the campus (including downtown) and Freshmen are being given more spots on campus.

Bison"FANatic"
08-29-2009, 03:27 PM
And there are going to be more housing units available next year with the apartments across form the dome and more private options supposedly available downtown in the future. Growth can be a tough thing to manage and they are doing it quite well. Any other shots you care to lob our way Heckler??? I think it is called Envy isn't it.;)

Bisonguy
08-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Had lunch at the King House downtown yesterday, and you can really see the presence of NDSU students. It was busier than normal (this was at 11:30, so a little early for the lunch rush), and at least half of the folks in there appeared to be NDSU students.

Guess this isn't really enrollment related, but just something I found interesting and didn't want to start a new thread.

Bison"FANatic"
08-29-2009, 05:20 PM
It is going to transform downtown and in 10 years it is going to be very different than what it is now in my opinion.

tony
08-29-2009, 07:46 PM
I guess NDSU has its Dinkytown now - well students always hit the bars down there but having students living there and spending time there during the day will fundamentally transform downtown.

4mcruenomore
08-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Are we past the point where they can even tweak their numbers to be larger than ours? I mean, you can't lie that much, can you? Just an honest question.

I love the fact that downtown has all this NDSU growth, I think it's awesome. Campus looks great too, I can't get over how nice 12th ave looks with all the new buildings. Although, I used to party in some of those slum lord houses that are now gone, lol. Just don't tear down my house across from the BSA, too many memories there...

sambini
08-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Doesn't the Foundation own a good share of the houses that border the campus?

Bison bison
08-30-2009, 05:58 PM
yes, they do!

Hammersmith
08-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Doesn't the Foundation own a good share of the houses that border the campus?

This image comes from the campus master plan. The lighter blue is NDSU, the dark blue is foundation properties. The image is centered vertically on University with 19th Ave at the top and 12 Ave at the bottom. The foundation doesn't own anything along 12th Ave, but NDSU owns a building near Sweeny's dry cleaning that houses Criminal Justice and Public Policy.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/Hammersmith52/NDSUOwnership.png

jackrabbit1979
09-06-2009, 05:04 PM
What was the size of the freshman class at NDSU this year and the past few? Somebody mentioned that you had a huge class last fall, and a smaller class this year, but I didn't see the actual numbers at all. Thanks.

tony
09-06-2009, 05:10 PM
What was the size of the freshman class at NDSU this year and the past few? Somebody mentioned that you had a huge class last fall, and a smaller class this year, but I didn't see the actual numbers at all. Thanks.

There were 2,661 new freshmen at NDSU last year - the most ever at NDSU. The final numbers aren't in for the 2009 but I don't think the numbers will top last year's but it'll probably be the second-biggest freshman class at NDSU.

roadwarrior
09-06-2009, 06:24 PM
It was mentioned at Teammakers last tuesday that the enrollment has surpassed 14,000.

Hammersmith
09-06-2009, 08:14 PM

2000 and forward(10yrs) good enough? ;)

From 2007 onward, professional students were broken out of the undergrand numbers. The 2009 numbers are preliminary and will most likely rise by 1% or 2% by the third week of class(when the official number is recorded).

Year - Fresh - Undgrd - Grad - Total
2000 - 1782 -- ???? -- ???? - 10002
2001 - 1935 -- ???? -- ???? - 10538
2002 - 1833 -- 9874 - 1272 - 11146
2003 - 1959 - 10157 - 1466 - 11623
2004 - 2142 - 10549 - 1477 - 12026
2005 - 2024 - 10496 - 1603 - 12099
2006 - 2076 - 10596 - 1662 - 12258
2007 - 2166 - 10403 - 1776 - 12527 - 348
2008 - 2661 - 11061 - 1818 - 13229 - 350
2009 - 2463 - 11666 - 1835 - 13855 - 354

Gully
09-06-2009, 09:56 PM
In two years we'll just hit 15,000 students!

Hammersmith
09-06-2009, 10:22 PM
In two years we'll just hit 15,000 students!

It seriously could be just one year. According to what road heard, we're already over 14K with about two weeks to go before the final count. We could very well reach 14.2K to 14.3K yet this year. If that happens, another 700 to 800 students in 2010 and we'll breech 15K next year.

Bison"FANatic"
09-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Ya Road is right on, they made a point to say that they had surpassed 14000 at the last teammakers. Not to bad at all.

ndsubison1
09-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Go Bison!!!

Gully
09-07-2009, 12:34 PM
It seriously could be just one year. According to what road heard, we're already over 14K with about two weeks to go before the final count. We could very well reach 14.2K to 14.3K yet this year. If that happens, another 700 to 800 students in 2010 and we'll breech 15K next year.

Good point. Does anyone have a POV on how far this can go? 20,000? 25,000? I know those numbers sound big, but there are a LOT of people in Minnesota and our exposure is at an all time high. You should see NDSUs recruiting efforts at college fairs. Very impressive. Most schools have one little table/booth...NDSU had 10 all together. The only setup that was better was the University of Minnesota's.

lakesbison
09-07-2009, 03:42 PM
I was at minnesota state fair.

I wish NDSU had a booth there on college road. I know its MINNESOTA state fair, but NDSU is over 50% minnesotan's and is the #1 choice OUT STATE for minnesota students now.

tjbison
09-07-2009, 04:18 PM
I was at minnesota state fair.

I wish NDSU had a booth there on college road. I know its MINNESOTA state fair, but NDSU is over 50% minnesotan's and is the #1 choice OUT STATE for minnesota students now.

They weren't there?? I thought they always had a set up there, maybe they don'tallow out of state schools there.

TheBisonator
09-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Good point. Does anyone have a POV on how far this can go? 20,000? 25,000? I know those numbers sound big, but there are a LOT of people in Minnesota and our exposure is at an all time high. You should see NDSUs recruiting efforts at college fairs. Very impressive. Most schools have one little table/booth...NDSU had 10 all together. The only setup that was better was the University of Minnesota's.

I think the infrastructure that can be built in the future can be capable of holding up to 25,000 students, and I don't really think it could naturally ever get more than that. If sometime in the future we start realizing what the natural ceiling is (25,000?), then we should plan to grow to that much and then once we reach that number, then start focusing on growing admission standards. I think that 25,000 can happen sometime maybe in the 2020's or so, and by that time I believe NDSU will be in FBS football.:D

mebisonII
09-08-2009, 03:12 AM
If we do someday grow to 20,000-25,000 there is no denying we'd be one of the major regional school, with region meaning entire upper-midwest. Thats the range of Nebraska, and Iowa State. UI is a bit larger, and of course U of MN is huge.

That said, I'm happy to see the school grow, but it needs to be done right. Have to make sure we have the infastructure to support all the students we enroll so they get a good quality education and the school's reputation for research improves. Also can't break the backs of the profs.

Bison"FANatic"
09-08-2009, 03:18 AM
Need to keep the graduation rate on par with our peer institutions also. Now that we are getting them here we need them to be leaving with a degree in hand.

Da Bison
09-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Went by ss and looked for the Enrollment thread...........

Cue the crickets

Da Bison
09-17-2009, 05:12 PM
As of last Friday current tally was over 14,200. :bowdown: :D

Final numbers won't be announced until later today.

WOW

Amused
09-17-2009, 06:57 PM
As of last Friday current tally was over 14,200. :bowdown: :D

Final numbers won't be announced until later today.

WOW

Let's hold off until after SBOHE meeting. Maybe Chapman was off by 60%.:p

Da Bison
09-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Maybe Terry "it's never my fault" Stroh isn't doing the counting.:banghead::banghead:

Gully
09-19-2009, 02:42 AM
Final number yet?

Hammersmith
09-19-2009, 03:18 AM
Final number yet?

Maybe Monday morning?

BisBison
09-19-2009, 03:39 AM
Maybe Monday morning?

I had heard the 22nd for the final number.

TheBisonator
09-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Today's the 22nd. Any official count up yet??

bisonaudit
09-22-2009, 04:41 PM
http://areavoices.com/ndsunews/

tony
09-22-2009, 04:45 PM
http://areavoices.com/ndsunews/

Nice job finding that! 14,189. That's a pretty hefty increase. From the NDSU press release:

Undergraduate student enrollment is 11,733, which is up 672 from a year ago. Graduate student enrollment is 2,103 up by 285 students from a year ago. NDSU's international student population also reached an all-time high of 1,171 students, an increase of 208 from 2008.

TheBisonator
09-22-2009, 05:05 PM

That's AWESOME to hear!!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

bisonmike2
09-22-2009, 05:12 PM
It's also out on the inforum.com now too. True to form they have to include UND's numbers. Why couldn't they just post that in a separate article? Thankfully comments aren't active yet.

HandoEX
09-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Holy cow! That's dang impressive!!!!!!

Hammersmith
09-22-2009, 09:39 PM
This is the most impressive to me:

Graduate student enrollment is 2,103

I can't believe we broke 2,000 already. I thought it was going to take another year or two.

tony
09-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Might catch Montana next year which I think would make NDSU the largest university in WY-MT-ND-SD.

Gully
09-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Might catch Montana next year which I think would make NDSU the largest university in WY-MT-ND-SD.

Thanks Tony...do you have those numbers handy? I didn't realize that Wyoming wasn't bigger.

tony
09-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks Tony...do you have those numbers handy? I didn't realize that Wyoming wasn't bigger.

I can never find current info for enrollment. Hammer usually has that covered.

Wiki says 13,858 but that was for 2007.

Bison bison
09-22-2009, 11:31 PM
And Idaho.

Washington State has 17,500 in Pullman.

NDSU could be the largest school between the Twin Cities and Seattle in the next decade.

Hammersmith
09-22-2009, 11:54 PM
The ND data is from this year. Everything else is from fall 2008.

North Dakota
- NDSU: 14,189
- UND: 13,172

South Dakota
- SDSU: 11,995

Montana
- UM: 14,207
- MSU: 12,369

Wyoming
- UW: 12,067

Idaho (Idaho's offical count comes from the end of the semester; no true apples to apples is possible)
- BSU: 19,667
- ISU: 14,520
- UI: 11,791

In order:
19,667 - Boise State
14,520 - Idaho State
14,207 - Universtiy of Montana
14,189 - North Dakota State
13,172 - University of North Dakota
12,369 - Montana State
12,067 - Universtiy of Wyoming
11,995 - South Dakota State
11,791 - University of Idaho

Hammersmith
09-22-2009, 11:55 PM
And Idaho.

NDSU could be the largest school between the Twin Cities and Seattle in the next decade.

You forgot about Boise State. They could hit 20k by the end of the semester.

Gully
09-23-2009, 12:32 AM
16,000 for the fall of 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bison bison
09-23-2009, 12:34 AM
You forgot about Boise State. They could hit 20k by the end of the semester.

Boise State is a community college. ;)

:nod: :nod: :nod:

A1pigskin
09-23-2009, 01:42 AM
I think our trip to the big dance in basketball really helped.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-23-2009, 03:15 AM

Two words.......Private Funding

TheBisonator
09-23-2009, 05:06 PM
And Idaho.

Don't forget St. Cloud State has something like 17,000 students. Although their academics, athletics and school spirit are at the level of a JUCO...

TheBisonator
09-23-2009, 05:51 PM
I looked for a second over on SS.com, and the und fanboys are trying to make it loom like NDSU is cooking the books with enrollment numbers. Then there's the claim that und is larger with all their "distance learning" students, while at the same time they try to poo-pooh NDSU including a scant few students who are part of both NDSU and NDSCS. There's always gonna be people trying to drag you back down, I suppose.

bisonmike2
09-23-2009, 06:14 PM
I looked for a second over on SS.com, and the und fanboys are trying to make it loom like NDSU is cooking the books with enrollment numbers. Then there's the claim that und is larger with all their "distance learning" students, while at the same time they try to poo-pooh NDSU including a scant few students who are part of both NDSU and NDSCS. There's always gonna be people trying to drag you back down, I suppose.

Does UND have anything like the tri-college set up we have with Concordia and MSUM? I imagine if they did they just include all the students at those institutions because, technically they could enroll for classes at their university.

Tatanka
09-23-2009, 07:19 PM

Well, if anyone would know about cooking the enrollment books, they would.

duluthbison
09-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Does UND have anything like the tri-college set up we have with Concordia and MSUM? I imagine if they did they just include all the students at those institutions because, technically they could enroll for classes at their university.

I do not believe so but if they did it would probably be with the community and technical college in East Grand. That is the only other school close to UND, the next closest college would be LRC.

Tatanka
09-23-2009, 07:21 PM
I do not believe so but if they did it would probably be with the community and technical college in East Grand. That is the only other school close to UND, the next closest college would be LRC.

Don't forget their peer institution in Crookston.

Bisonguy
09-24-2009, 12:20 AM

They make a bigger deal out of tri-college than what it is. My wife has a nursing degree from Concordia, but only had one class at Concordia her junior and senior year. The rest were all at NDSU.

bisonmike2
09-24-2009, 12:46 AM
They make a bigger deal out of tri-college than what it is. My wife has a nursing degree from Concordia, but only had one class at Concordia her junior and senior year. The rest were all at NDSU.

my friend got an engineering degree from NDSU but took most of the math and some engineering classes at MSUM because they were easier. :hide:

A1pigskin
09-24-2009, 02:10 AM
Hopefully it can be sustained.

BisBison
09-24-2009, 03:01 AM
Hopefully it can be sustained.

Count on it. We have so much momentum now. These numbers came in before we even see what the Business College's new building is going to produce. I'm betting that's good for another 1500 in the next two-three years.

Bison bison
09-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Based on comments by Chapman, the near-term projection has got to be about 16,000.

With respect to the business school, if I was a student in the Dakotas or Minnesota, it would be NDSU or Carlson hands down (yes, I know how silly that is, but NDSU probably has 500 students who came to Fargo for West Acres, another 1000 for Bison Athletics).

Hambone
09-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Based on comments by Chapman, the near-term projection has got to be about 16,000.

With respect to the business school, if I was a student in the Dakotas or Minnesota, it would be NDSU or Carlson hands down (yes, I know how silly that is, but NDSU probably has 500 students who came to Fargo for West Acres, another 1000 for Bison Athletics).
I have a question - not trying to flame - but why would you say just those two hands down? I'm sure NDSU has a good business school, but I graduated from the UND school of business and it is a great school that is very highly looked upon by companies down here in the cities. I'm just curious why you wouldn't think all three schools would be head and shoulders above the others, other than the fact that you might not like UND. Again, not trying to get into smacky "my school is better than yours", just want to know the reasoning. Thanks.:)

Bison bison
09-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Like I said, it's because goofy things 'cause students to pick schools.

tony
09-24-2009, 03:29 PM
While this year's freshman class was huge, it was still smaller than last year's, wasn't it?

I'm pretty sure that NDSU had a bigger freshmen class than SCSU last year(2600 v 2300) and probably again this year. The only things SCSU seems to have more of are transfer students and part-time students (SCSU had over 4000 part-timers last yeare which is double what NDSU had).

TheBisonator
09-24-2009, 06:56 PM
I have a question - not trying to flame - but why would you say just those two hands down? I'm sure NDSU has a good business school, but I graduated from the UND school of business and it is a great school that is very highly looked upon by companies down here in the cities. I'm just curious why you wouldn't think all three schools would be head and shoulders above the others, other than the fact that you might not like UND. Again, not trying to get into smacky "my school is better than yours", just want to know the reasoning. Thanks.:)

Our new business school facilities are AMAZING. Barry Hall right now gives NDSU better business school facilities than UND. Also, I keep running into students left and right at NDSU who say they're business majors, so it appears that the business school's enrollment is exploding as well. The business school is probably more like an "up and comer", like NDSU's Visual Arts program, a program currently on a meteoric rise.

bisonmike2
09-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Our new business school facilities are AMAZING. Barry Hall right now gives NDSU better business school facilities than UND. Also, I keep running into students left and right at NDSU who say they're business majors, so it appears that the business school's enrollment is exploding as well. The business school is probably more like an "up and comer", like NDSU's Visual Arts program, a program currently on a meteoric rise.

The business school has advanced leaps and bounds in the past decade. When I was looking at business schools about 12 years ago, NDSU was just in the process of being accredited, which I think they officially became accredited my sophomore year. And the facilities sucked major ass. Putnam was a dump, with small, antique classrooms. I took most of my business classes in various buildings across campus because Putnam couldn't support them. I haven't seen the new building yet, but from what I gather it is top notch.

TransAmBison
09-24-2009, 09:51 PM
The business school has advanced leaps and bounds in the past decade. When I was looking at business schools about 12 years ago, NDSU was just in the process of being accredited, which I think they officially became accredited my sophomore year. And the facilities sucked major ass. Putnam was a dump, with small, antique classrooms. I took most of my business classes in various buildings across campus because Putnam couldn't support them. I haven't seen the new building yet, but from what I gather it is top notch.
We might have had some classes together. One of those empty seats during the semester probably belonged to me.

Hammersmith
09-24-2009, 11:52 PM
While this year's freshman class was huge, it was still smaller than last year's, wasn't it?

I'm pretty sure that NDSU had a bigger freshmen class than SCSU last year(2600 v 2300) and probably again this year. The only things SCSU seems to have more of are transfer students and part-time students (SCSU had over 4000 part-timers last yeare which is double what NDSU had).

I haven't seen the final 2009 freshmen figure reported anywhere yet, but it should be a bit smaller than last year. But last year was such a huge jump from 2007 that a small drop this year is probably a good thing. We spent most of the decade slowly increasing the freshmen class from around 1,800 to 2,100. Then, in 2008, we jumped from about 2,170 to 2,670. That was insane. It looks like this year's freshmen class will be somewhere between 2,400 and 2,500. That will still be the second highest number in NDSU history by a clear margin. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if NDSU starts to quietly restrict freshmen enrollment to around 2,500 a year plus transfers and online students. I would think that we have the same goal as UND, namely having the grad school make up about 20% of the total enrollment. Our grad school is growing by leaps and bounds, but the huge undergrad growth is making the 20% very difficult to acheive. At 16,000 total enrollment, that would mean an undergrad number of 12,000 and a grad school of 4,000. We are already less than 300 students away from the first number, but the grad school would need to nearly double again to meet the second. Coupled with the increasing retention mentioned in the NDSU press release, these large freshmen classes are going to continue to push enrollment higher for at least three more years.

Gully
09-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Hammersmith.....I don't know where you get all this stuff but keep it coming. You always add very interesting comments and points of view.

As for me, I'd like to see it get to 20,000 someday but 16,000 in two years will do for now!

bisonmike2
09-25-2009, 12:34 PM
We might have had some classes together. One of those empty seats during the semester probably belonged to me.

I also occupied one of the other empty seats.

TransAmBison
09-25-2009, 12:42 PM
I also occupied one of the other empty seats.
I wish we would have had a nice building to not go to class in. Kids have it to nice now. I had to skip class because it was so drafty in those classrooms. Sometimes it was too warm and there was no air conditioning. I mean, how can they expect you to go to class under those circumstances? Classes before 11:00 am? How about after 1:00 pm? Seriously. How about over the noon hour?

bisonmike2
09-25-2009, 02:18 PM
I wish we would have had a nice building to not go to class in. Kids have it to nice now. I had to skip class because it was so drafty in those classrooms. Sometimes it was too warm and there was no air conditioning. I mean, how can they expect you to go to class under those circumstances? Classes before 11:00 am? How about after 1:00 pm? Seriously. How about over the noon hour?

No kidding! Although, if I were going to school today, my excuse would be that the weather is too crappy to go all the way downtown for school today.

Amused
09-25-2009, 04:22 PM
I would think that we have the same goal as UND, namely having the grad school make up about 20% of the total enrollment. Our grad school is growing by leaps and bounds, but the huge undergrad growth is making the 20% very difficult to acheive. At 16,000 total enrollment, that would mean an undergrad number of 12,000 and a grad school of 4,000.

Not to nitpick, but 20% of 16,000 total would be 3,200 graduate students.

siouxdgj
09-25-2009, 07:56 PM
I haven't seen the final 2009 freshmen figure reported anywhere yet, but it should be a bit smaller than last year. But last year was such a huge jump from 2007 that a small drop this year is probably a good thing. We spent most of the decade slowly increasing the freshmen class from around 1,800 to 2,100. Then, in 2008, we jumped from about 2,170 to 2,670. That was insane. It looks like this year's freshmen class will be somewhere between 2,400 and 2,500. That will still be the second highest number in NDSU history by a clear margin. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if NDSU starts to quietly restrict freshmen enrollment to around 2,500 a year plus transfers and online students. I would think that we have the same goal as UND, namely having the grad school make up about 20% of the total enrollment. Our grad school is growing by leaps and bounds, but the huge undergrad growth is making the 20% very difficult to acheive. At 16,000 total enrollment, that would mean an undergrad number of 12,000 and a grad school of 4,000. We are already less than 300 students away from the first number, but the grad school would need to nearly double again to meet the second. Coupled with the increasing retention mentioned in the NDSU press release, these large freshmen classes are going to continue to push enrollment higher for at least three more years.

Hammersmith, I, too, never cease to be amazed by the stupendous amount of research you do to support your assertions--very well thought out, I must add. I can see you are clearly interested in supporting higher education in the area and that you are most open to serious discussion on matters important to you. Again, I commend you.

Hammersmith
09-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Not to nitpick, but 20% of 16,000 total would be 3,200 graduate students.

Doh! I guess I was thinking 25% when doing the math. I've done that math that way before because I feel 25% grad students is an ideal but nearly unattainable goal. Well, the corrected number makes things a little easier. With 11,700 undergrads at the moment, we're 1,100 shy in both categories to hit 16,000. That's actually not that bad with the way things are going. Thanks for the correction because it makes the future a little brighter.

Hammersmith
09-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Hammersmith, I, too, never cease to be amazed by the stupendous amount of research you do to support your assertions--very well thought out, I must add. I can see you are clearly interested in supporting higher education in the area and that you are most open to serious discussion on matters important to you. Again, I commend you.

It's not as tough as it seems. Once you find the data the first time, it's easy to find the second. Also, I save time by creating little text files with the info I use regularly. A couple mouse clicks and I've got all the enrollment breakdowns for NDSU & UND for the past decade. Quick and easy. Also, I grew up in a higher ed household, spent more time learning about the nuances of faculty politics than I did learning my instrument, and am in education as a profession. This stuff is as natural as breathing to me. Still, thanks for the nice thoughts.

4mcruenomore
09-26-2009, 04:33 AM
I hate to look, did THEY ever take "the largest university in the dakotas" off of their website yet? Just curious.

bisonmike2
09-26-2009, 04:49 AM
I hate to look, did THEY ever take "the largest university in the dakotas" off of their website yet? Just curious.

I think they have. Looks like it was replaced with this.

"The University of North Dakota is the state’s most comprehensive intensive research university and the primary center for professional education and training. UND has brought in more than $353 million for sponsored programs from internal and external sources over the last five years. UND’s economic impact on the state and region is nearly $1 billion a year."

4mcruenomore
09-26-2009, 04:52 AM
NO matter what, we just need to beat them in football next time we play, then it will be all good for a while. They have an excuse for everything.

TheBisonator
09-26-2009, 10:30 PM
I think they have. Looks like it was replaced with this.

"The University of North Dakota is the state’s most comprehensive intensive research university and the primary center for professional education and training. UND has brought in more than $353 million for sponsored programs from internal and external sources over the last five years. UND’s economic impact on the state and region is nearly $1 billion a year."

(In bold) Lie.

The line that came after that can be debateable, though I don't know much about professional education figures for each school.

Tatanka
02-09-2010, 08:43 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/268536/

UND's enrollment highest ever for Spring, 5% up from last spring.

Guess who hasn't released their numbers yet? :smh:

Bison bison
02-09-2010, 08:51 PM
http://www.ndsu.edu/news/mediareleases/2010springenrollment/

Biggest ever b#tches!

6.7% bigger than last year.

RECORD NUMBER OF GRAD STUDENTS! >2k

Tatanka
02-09-2010, 08:55 PM

Biggest ever b#tches!

Excellent. I'm sure the Forum will be all over this. Pshyeaaaa, right.

TheBisonator
02-09-2010, 08:56 PM

Biggest ever b#tches!

RECORD NUMBER OF GRAD STUDENTS! >2k

Could NDSU soon see more grad students than UND?? We already offer more masters programs and doctorate programs than they do...

BisonAccountant44
02-09-2010, 08:57 PM

Don't worry, they'll get something negative out of this. Just give em an hour or so to spin it.

Bisonguy
02-09-2010, 08:58 PM

I wouldn't doubt the "Record NDSU enrollment due to Chapman's resignation" angle they could spin. :hide:

TheBisonator
02-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Don't worry, they'll get something negative out of this. Just give em an hour or so to spin it.

We were around 900 more students than them at fall, and now we're 678 students more than them in spring. Headline will read: "UND CLOSING GAP ON NDSU"

Tatanka
02-09-2010, 09:09 PM
We were around 900 more students than them at fall, and now we're 678 students more than them in spring. Headline will read: "UND CLOSING GAP ON NDSU"

Truth. The Herald, and probably the Bismarck paper as well, better be sending you a paycheck. Hell, it's even spelled right--an improvement for the Herald.

Bison55
02-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I was guessing a headline like "NDSU suffers overcrowding"...or "NDSU student to faculty ratio gets worse"

NDSUstudent
02-09-2010, 09:14 PM
"NDSU enrollment continues to swell, president Hanson declares state of emergency."

Superfan
02-09-2010, 09:18 PM
"Overcrowding possible cause of Minard Hall Collapse"

Bison bison
02-09-2010, 09:25 PM
"We Hat Success"

BisonAccountant44
02-09-2010, 10:06 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/268536/group/home/

Guess they aren't quite quick enough to come up with something on the first go 'round. Although, it looks like it wasn't from a lack of effort. The headline says "Spring enrollment up at NDSU", but the page title of the browser says "Spring enrollment up at UND".

ndsubison1
02-09-2010, 10:57 PM

but, but things are going "bad" here how can that record enrollment be??

Tatanka
02-09-2010, 11:42 PM
but, but things are going "bad" here how can that record enrollment be??

Duh, obviously the student body doesn't read teh Forum enough...

DIBISON
02-10-2010, 01:48 AM
WDAY lead line on the 6 news was UND sets spring enrollment record.....

IzzyFlexion
02-10-2010, 02:07 PM
"Overcrowding possible cause of Minard Hall Collapse"

GRAND FORKS HERALD - top headlines

Hanson Considers Limb Dismemberment Program to Ease Overcrowding at NDSU
UND Medical School's Cadaver Lab Could Benefit

Fargo- NDSU interim President Dick Hanson said today that he is considering a campus-wide limb dismemberment program in order to ease overcrowding problems at the state's largest university. Citing concerns that the school's spiraling enrollment could be a credited to his predecessor Joseph Chapman's progressive leadership, Hanson said that immediate resolution is critical. "I've noticed that many of the students have abnormally large shoulders and arms", Hanson said. "It seems logical, that simply lopping off these troublesome and space consuming limbs could have an immediate effect on giving students more room in both the classroom and in their dorm rooms. This will allow us to delay needless spending of precious state money on frivolous luxuries such as additional facilities and staff." Since he plans to secure a 2010 NDSU-UND football game, Hanson did note that the football team would be exempt from the program as an armless Bison football team may create a slight and unfair advantage for the Sioux.

siouxdgj
02-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Surely you jest. You're pulling my leg, right?

Da Bison
02-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Surely you jest. You're pulling my leg, right?

"Don't call me Shirley":D:D:D

BisonAccountant44
02-10-2010, 04:02 PM
"Don't call me Shirley":D:D:D

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/images/airplane7.jpg

TransAmBison
02-10-2010, 04:02 PM
GRAND FORKS HERALD - top headlines

Hanson Considers Limb Dismemberment Program to Ease Overcrowding at NDSU
UND Medical School's Cadaver Lab Could Benefit

Fargo- NDSU interim President Dick Hanson said today that he is considering a campus-wide limb dismemberment program in order to ease overcrowding problems at the state's largest university. Citing concerns that the school's spiraling enrollment could be a credited to his predecessor Joseph Chapman's progressive leadership, Hanson said that immediate resolution is critical. "I've noticed that many of the students have abnormally large shoulders and arms", Hanson said. "It seems logical, that simply lopping off these troublesome and space consuming limbs could have an immediate effect on giving students more room in both the classroom and in their dorm rooms. This will allow us to delay needless spending of precious state money on frivolous luxuries such as additional facilities and staff." Since he plans to secure a 2010 NDSU-UND football game, Hanson did note that the football team would be exempt from the program as an armless Bison football team may create a slight and unfair advantage for the Sioux.
I don't know how unfair it would be since all Firetrucks are required to have a lobotomy.

tony
02-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Top 10 Ways to Combat the Plague of Students that Has Descended on NDSU:

10. Put up misleading road signs that divert new students to Grand Forks.
9. To get to campus students have to cross... THE BRIDGE OF DEATH!
8. Overflow housing = renovated state pen in Bismarck ($64 million).
7. Daily compulsory lawn darts competitions outside of Memorial Union.
6. Install speakers all over NDSU's campus that broadcast Joel Heitkamp's show 24 hours a day at 110 decibels.
5. Contract with the Grand Forks Herald to write NDSU's promotional material.
4. Replace the bus system for getting students to and from the downtown campus with a series of catapults.
3. Establish a special, no-limit bowhunting season to cull the Herd.
2. Dining centers' new speciality: Solyent Green.
1. Introducing NDSU's new president: Dick Hanson!

Bison"FANatic"
02-10-2010, 04:27 PM

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.:smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :D :D :D :D

No check that I actually had some come out and hit my desk, it was that unsettling!!!!!

bisonmike2
02-10-2010, 04:34 PM

10. Put up misleading road signs that divert new students to Grand Forks.
9. To get to campus students have to cross... THE BRIDGE OF DEATH!
8. Overflow housing = renovated state pen in Bismarck ($64 million).
7. Daily compulsory lawn darts competitions outside of Memorial Union.
6. Install speakers all over NDSU's campus that broadcast Joel Heitkamp's show 24 hours a day at 110 decibals.
5. Contract with the Grand Forks Herald to write NDSU's promotional material.
4. Replace the bus system for getting students to and from the downtown campus with a series of catapults.
3. Establish a special, no-limit bowhunting season to cull the Herd.
2. Dining centers' new speciality: Solyent Green.

I gotta spread rep around before giving it to you again. Brilliant. Maybe 4 could be replace Bus Drivers with Matt Frattin. (several NDSU football players would also work, but were not going to talk about that.):hide:

ndsubison1
02-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Hanson unavailable for comment again:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/268516/publisher_ID/1/

Hanson was out of town Monday and unavailable for comment.

Tatanka
02-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Hanson unavailable for comment again:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/268516/publisher_ID/1/

Dude. Has he been reading the Kupchella handbook given to him by his "friends" at the university?

ndsubison1
02-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Dude. Has he been reading the Kupchella handbook given to him by his "friends" at the university?

Sounds like more pandering to UND :rofl: