PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a splash?

Gully
08-24-2009, 01:39 AM
Who will emerge this year as the biggest surprise? It seems like most years there is someone who stands out as being a pleasant surprise. We may need a few of those this year.

BisonNolesFan77
08-24-2009, 01:49 AM
I don't think my pick is very unexpected to many people on here, but I think Matt Veldman is going to emerge as a pretty premier TE this season. Kid is a hell of an athlete and I think he's going to finally break out this season.

Herd
08-24-2009, 01:58 AM
Next year's hottest jersey . . . #56.

Flintstone
08-24-2009, 02:11 AM
I think Gratzek is going to have a big year. I thought he was our best D-Lineman last year.

westnodak93bison
08-24-2009, 02:13 AM
I'm gonna go with our Sophomore DEs, Boyer and Johnson(when he gets back).

CaBisonFan
08-24-2009, 02:31 AM
Ojuri and possibly Horner. It's going to be hard to keep the red shirt on Ojuri. I like the other suggestions here also. Kick-ass defensive line.

tjbison
08-24-2009, 02:33 AM
Gratzek on D, DJ on O ( hope we can keep the shirts on Ojuri, Sigars, Jirik, Juckem)

CaBisonFan
08-24-2009, 02:36 AM
Gratzek on D, DJ on O ( hope we can keep the shirts on Ojuri, Sigars, Jirik, Juckem)

I hope you're right...but I have a feeling that Ojuri is very, very special...power, speed, instincts, awareness, moves...the whole package. The next dominant RB at SU.

ndsubison1
08-24-2009, 02:51 AM
DJ McNorton will have a breakout year

bisonmike2
08-24-2009, 03:19 AM
I'm going to say Bohl. This year will be one of his biggest challenges. Considering all the youth we have, especially in skill positions, it's going to take a great coaching job to get us into the playoffs. This is the year he proves to us why he is the one of the highest paid FCS coaches out there.

sambini
08-24-2009, 04:52 AM
Bison coaching staff+++

stevdock
08-24-2009, 12:16 PM
I believe Mertens is going to make a HUGE jump forward this season.

rutlandbison
08-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Daniel Eaves.

IzzyFlexion
08-24-2009, 03:28 PM
I won't call this a prediction, because I suck badly at predicting things, but I really hope that Pat Paschall has a monstor year. He has accumulated over 1,100 rushing yards during the past 2 seasons without the "feature back" moniker.

bisontwice
08-24-2009, 03:37 PM
I am hoping the defense stands out. Defense wins championships.

I'mWithNOSIB
08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
If we are going to have an offense, Mertens HAS to step up.

I don't think he will. The Green/Gold game told me that he still stares down his receivers and he doesn't go through his progressions.

I'm going to say Voigtlander. That kid is a horse.

Preston Evans is another one to watch.

Grizzled
08-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Austin Richard- solid player playing a very important position. I think he will have a good year along with the entire o-line.

tjbison
08-24-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm hoping the whole damn team has a breakout year!!!

tcbison
08-24-2009, 05:52 PM
I like Voitlander as well. His numbers are solid when he gets the rock. I am still a bit confused as to why he doesn't get more carries.

Tatanka
08-24-2009, 06:26 PM
If we are going to have an offense, Mertens HAS to step up.

I don't think he will. The Green/Gold game told me that he still stares down his receivers and he doesn't go through his progressions.

I'm going to say Voigtlander. That kid is a horse.

Preston Evans is another one to watch.

Teh Risin' Bison reappears!!!! :nod:

bisondad
08-24-2009, 06:35 PM
I won't call this a prediction, because I suck badly at predicting things, but I really hope that Pat Paschall has a monstor year. He has accumulated over 1,100 rushing yards during the past 2 seasons without the "feature back" moniker.

I agree with you.

IzzyFlexion
08-24-2009, 08:51 PM
With Vandal out with a broken leg, the stage is set for Garrett Bruhn to see some significant playing time as a true freshman. They say that physically the kid is ready to go right now. It wouldn't surprise me to see this kid playing immediately.

I hope you're right. How bad is the Bison running game going to miss big Tyler Jangula? What a stud!
http://www.bisonillustrated.com/articles/2008/8/images/menatworkbig.jpg

BisonNeil
08-25-2009, 02:24 AM
I believe Mertens is going to make a HUGE jump forward this season.

I'm with you on that one.

Jdubs21
08-25-2009, 03:12 AM
Sigers and Shamen on kickoffs is gonna be insane!!!

DjKyRo
08-25-2009, 03:15 AM
I'm hoping to see Preston Evans f*** some people up.

(not like, "I hope he injures people" but it'd be legit to see a bunch of big hits off of this guy.)

OldBison
08-25-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm hoping to see Preston Evans f*** some people up.

(not like, "I hope he injures people" but it'd be legit to see a bunch of big hits off of this guy.)

Big hits? While crowd pleasers, I'd rather see really consistent play and being where he is supposed to be on every play.

Mays said before his second year he learned a lot from the first and that was to not always looking for the big hit. Joe said his goal was to become more solid in his reads in year 2. I hope for the same from Preston but also think like you, I believe he could have a break out year.

Tatanka
08-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Big hits? While crowd pleasers, I'd rather see really consistent play and being where he is supposed to be on every play.

Mays said before his second year he learned a lot from the first and that was to not always looking for the big hit. Joe said his goal was to become more solid in his reads in year 2. I hope for the same from Preston but also think like you, I believe he could have a break out year.

Agreed. But if PE can de-cleat the opposition a few times without getting out of position, why not?

bisonhusker
08-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Preston was special against UNI last year....and he was on skates out there. Humber was always telling him where to be. He was killing people. He is going to be another great linebacker.

DjKyRo
08-25-2009, 03:05 PM
I should clarify - I don't mean I want to see PE putting people on their backs all year, more I just want to see him be a breakout player. Having a strong player on defense that the fans can rally around ala Joe Mays just provides that extra spark that might be the difference between a given-up TD or a big stop on 3rd and short. If he happens to knock off a few helmets in so doing all the better.

Kermit
08-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Preston Evans is my no-brainer choice.

Mike Sigers is my longshot. He could get people out of their seats.

After watching the spring game, I would have definitely put Kevin Jackson on this list. Is he really going to be the #3 strong safety (according to the 8/6 two-deep)?

DjKyRo
08-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Speaking of safeties, I'm stoked for Belmont and Cyrus Lemon to have big years also. Belmont's back with a thirst for the ball and for some reason Cyrus just strikes me as a player - he only had two picks last season but they went for an average of about 35 yards. Playmaker.